JA Vinyl/CD - ALL Out of Print

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Tyler Durden
Posts: 995
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:15 pm
Location: Toronto

JA Vinyl/CD - ALL Out of Print

#1 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:44 am

I posted something on my Facebook about Ritual turning 30 and a friend of mine mentioned that it is currently out of print on vinyl. I was in disbelief...but upon checking, all of Jane's Warner work is out of print on both vinyl and CD. I find this extremely odd...maybe I'm just out of touch with how dead physical media is now. Or perhaps something else is going on here. Plans to re-release the catalog in a repackaged/remastered form? Perry or someone else bought the catalog from Warner? :noclue:


User avatar
Mescal
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:23 am

Re: JA Vinyl/CD - ALL Out of Print

#3 Post by Mescal » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:18 am

Plenty of copies for sale

User avatar
Tyler Durden
Posts: 995
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:15 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: JA Vinyl/CD - ALL Out of Print

#4 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:53 am

Mescal wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:18 am
Plenty of copies for sale
I already own them.

The point is, there are bands on Warner/Rhino that I would argue aren't as popular as Jane's and there are multiple reissues of their albums on physical media. The Replacements come to mind. Both Don't Tell A Soul and Pleased To Meet Me have gotten serious reissue/box set treatment from the label. Both of the albums have been reissued in standard black vinyl format, coloured vinyl, and recent box sets of multiple CDs/Vinyl. It just strikes me as odd that not only has Nothing's Shocking and Ritual not received similar treatment, but people can't even buy basic copies off store shelves.

User avatar
Pandemonium
Posts: 5546
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: JA Vinyl/CD - ALL Out of Print

#5 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:54 pm

I don’t know if it’s a bootleg, but Strays was recently reissued on blue vinyl.

User avatar
Larry B.
Posts: 7262
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:25 am
Location: Santiago

Re: JA Vinyl/CD - ALL Out of Print

#6 Post by Larry B. » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:53 am

The most likely answer, in all honesty, is that there aren’t any hints out there of a real demand for Jane’s physical media.

We joke about it and all, but it’s pretty much just us as longtime ‘fans’ of the band. And most fans already have their CDs and/or simply use Spotify.

If they printed Ritual again, I’m 100% sure they’d lose money. So there’s no reason to print anything, for now. If something big happens, I’m sure they will.

User avatar
Mescal
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:23 am

Re: JA Vinyl/CD - ALL Out of Print

#7 Post by Mescal » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:44 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:54 pm
I don’t know if it’s a bootleg, but Strays was recently reissued on blue vinyl.

Bootleg ....

User avatar
Mescal
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:23 am

Re: JA Vinyl/CD - ALL Out of Print

#8 Post by Mescal » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:47 am

Larry B. wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:53 am
The most likely answer, in all honesty, is that there aren’t any hints out there of a real demand for Jane’s physical media.

We joke about it and all, but it’s pretty much just us as longtime ‘fans’ of the band. And most fans already have their CDs and/or simply use Spotify.

If they printed Ritual again, I’m 100% sure they’d lose money. So there’s no reason to print anything, for now. If something big happens, I’m sure they will.
People come of age all the time , no? Different generations. Or does this generation not buy cd's anymore (guess not).

I bought my first Jane's cd in 1999 or something.
They weren't that popular then anymore I suppose.

User avatar
Tyler Durden
Posts: 995
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:15 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: JA Vinyl/CD - ALL Out of Print

#9 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:14 am

Larry B. wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:53 am
The most likely answer, in all honesty, is that there aren’t any hints out there of a real demand for Jane’s physical media.

We joke about it and all, but it’s pretty much just us as longtime ‘fans’ of the band. And most fans already have their CDs and/or simply use Spotify.

If they printed Ritual again, I’m 100% sure they’d lose money. So there’s no reason to print anything, for now. If something big happens, I’m sure they will.

I completely disagree. How do you explain Warner/Rhino reissuing albums by the likes of Jesus and Mary Chain and The Replacements? These bands have a fraction of the fan base that Jane’s Addiction does.

User avatar
kv
Posts: 8135
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Re: JA Vinyl/CD - ALL Out of Print

#10 Post by kv » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:10 pm

Ahhh really?

User avatar
somethindalisomethin
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:33 am

Re: JA Vinyl/CD - ALL Out of Print

#11 Post by somethindalisomethin » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:30 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:14 am
Larry B. wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:53 am
The most likely answer, in all honesty, is that there aren’t any hints out there of a real demand for Jane’s physical media.

We joke about it and all, but it’s pretty much just us as longtime ‘fans’ of the band. And most fans already have their CDs and/or simply use Spotify.

If they printed Ritual again, I’m 100% sure they’d lose money. So there’s no reason to print anything, for now. If something big happens, I’m sure they will.

I completely disagree. How do you explain Warner/Rhino reissuing albums by the likes of Jesus and Mary Chain and The Replacements? These bands have a fraction of the fan base that Jane’s Addiction does.
I agree with Tyler (who's really Ed Norton, spoiler), seriously watch the movie, lol

There's a cannabis strain out now called "Robert Paulson", genius

Post Reply