Song Previews

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
theprofessor

Song Previews

#1 Post by theprofessor » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:25 am

trevor ayer

Re: Song Previews

#2 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:40 am

they all sound like the same song .. perry has no melody change between songs .. broken people sounds like it has a wee bit of potential .. everything else sounds like satellite party 2 .. i don't think i can justify paying for this cd .. wish there was a bootleg version of this record with embrace the darkness and another soul mate and rougher versions of some of these new songs .. another soul mate sounds better than this record .. kinda bummed .. this record sounds un listenable much like strays already .. booo

Smokestack

#3 Post by Smokestack » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:42 am

Thanks for posting. :thumb:

Hard to get a lot from those short clips. I don't know what to say. I think the clips sound okay. But again, it's hard to tell. Anyone else think that the Perry's vox effects sound like his solo album? That's what I got from it anyways. Perkins drumming sounds great and a lot of bass in the clips. This thing is going to leak in the next day or two I bet.

guysmiley

#4 Post by guysmiley » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:47 am

hmm....not sure. ill have to hear more

Tyler Durden

#5 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:53 am

It's VERY hard to judge an album based on short song previews...but...I'm not impressed so far. Sounds vaguely like Satellite Party. And like Strays, almost all of the songs sound like each other. Though I found Strays over-produced and one dimensional in its vision (a bunch of Had A Dad's and Ain't No Right's so to speak), it appears to be a lot better than TGEA, judging by these clips. Of course, all of that could change once we hear the full album...but it's not looking/sounding good.

Bandit72

#6 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:58 am

Jane's Addiction 1985-1991

leviticus

#7 Post by leviticus » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:05 am

Tyler Durden wrote:It's VERY hard to judge an album based on short song previews...but...I'm not impressed so far. Sounds vaguely like Satellite Party. And like Strays, almost all of the songs sound like each other. Though I found Strays over-produced and one dimensional in its vision (a bunch of Had A Dad's and Ain't No Right's so to speak), it appears to be a lot better than TGEA, judging by these clips. Of course, all of that could change once we hear the full album...but it's not looking/sounding good.
Really? I Like what I hear. Sounds nothing like Strays, much more atmosphere which is what I crave from this band.

Tyler Durden

#8 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:09 am

leviticus wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:It's VERY hard to judge an album based on short song previews...but...I'm not impressed so far. Sounds vaguely like Satellite Party. And like Strays, almost all of the songs sound like each other. Though I found Strays over-produced and one dimensional in its vision (a bunch of Had A Dad's and Ain't No Right's so to speak), it appears to be a lot better than TGEA, judging by these clips. Of course, all of that could change once we hear the full album...but it's not looking/sounding good.
Really? I Like what I hear. Sounds nothing like Strays, much more atmosphere which is what I crave from this band.
I didn't say it sounds like Strays. I just meant it appears one-dimensional like Strays was; not much to differentiate the songs.

Again, my view could change.

leviticus

#9 Post by leviticus » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:13 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
leviticus wrote:
I didn't say it sounds like Strays. I just meant it appears one-dimensional like Strays was; not much to differentiate the songs.

Again, my view could change.
I wasn't accusing you of comparing the sound of the two, I was just making a point as to why I am a little relieved. It does lack dynamic, but then again, we are getting 15 sec clips.

Eric B.

#10 Post by Eric B. » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:15 am

I wanne hear the whole thing!!!

I don't think the songs all sound alike. Could be a very diverse album. I think Underground has the same rhythm as the start of ETTL so maybe they will flow nicely into each other. I do think that it sounds a bit satellite paty-ish but I'm not willing to judge it on that. Doesn't sound like a "dangerous" album but I wasn't expecting that.

I think I'll enjoy it.

Will it be something I proudly present to my friends??????............................I doubt it, but am willing/hoping to be corrected on that.

Smokestack

#11 Post by Smokestack » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:20 am

I listened to each of the clips a few times now. I don't think it sounds half bad. Ultimate reason and Broken people sound good to me. When I listened to Splash a little water on it, I was waiting for Ozzy to jump in with "If I close my eyes forever!"

Larry B.

#12 Post by Larry B. » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:25 am

Thanks for posting!

The only time before that I heard clips before the actual release was for U2's No Line on the Horizon, and I ended up liking some songs that I'd totally hated based on the clips.

Having said that, these clips seem pretty boring. Standard rock, like Strays. The music sounds nice and the vocals are pretty shitty and lazy.

Broken People sounds extremely U2-ish, No Line on the Horizon style. Unbelievable.

Easton

#13 Post by Easton » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:27 am

Not really impressed so far. But like others have said, it's hard to judge on these short samples.

Hope it all makes a bit more sense when I hear the entire thing.

creep
Site Admin

#14 Post by creep » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:30 am

ultimate reason is the only interesting sounding song to me. :noclue:

imail724

#15 Post by imail724 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:33 am

They sound decent to me. Better than Stays. Am I crazy in thinking Words Right Out Of My Mouth sounds almost Psi Com ish?

bman

#16 Post by bman » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:35 am

They sey out to break new ground..I think they have. This aint Strays 2 that's for sure. I like I'll Hit You Back and Twisted Tales. I listened once and that's it. I'm waiting for the real album. I wish there were a couple of Hard Chargers and Hot Lava's on this..but oh well. They've grown up. I'm looking forward to it.

Matz

#17 Post by Matz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:38 am

I'm very disappointed, there wasn't a single riff, or melody or mood or anything where I thought, ok this is cool or this is great. Not a good sign. Based on what I've heard so far I'll bet almost anything that that I will think that Strays is a way stronger album than this. I think the sounds, effects, tones and stuff on this may be more Jane's sounding but the songs themselves and the melodies will be lacking like crazy and those are the important things in the end....but we'll see

Mescal

#18 Post by Mescal » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:45 am

yawn

bman

#19 Post by bman » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:47 am

I like Twisted Tales, Curiosity Kills and I'll hit you back. They do sound like the same song though! Honestly, this sounds refreshing to me. There probably is no moment like the bridge in Stop on this album. But that's ok. You can always hear that bridge at every show. You can't judge it yet. I wish there was a 90's rocker on it. But I'm staying optimistic.

Matz

#20 Post by Matz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:52 am

Tyler Durden wrote:It's VERY hard to judge an album based on short song previews...
It is and it isn't. You can definitely tell a lot from listening to 30 seconds of a song, how good is it, what's the mood, instrumentation etc but far from everything of course. Imagine if Ritual hadn't come out in 91 and they released that now instead and we had just listened to 30 seconds of the Stop! verse riff and Then She Did etc you would know already that the album would be great based on those clips alone

bman

#21 Post by bman » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:06 am

I think we will be pleasantly surprised. I've listened to each song now a few times and I really want to hear more. That's it for me now! I have to wait. Broken people (so far) sounds exactly like U2.

leviticus

#22 Post by leviticus » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:12 am

Damn. I guess music really IS subjective. I don’t know how people can’t get turned onto this. It’s not what I necessarily hear, because there isn’t much there to cling to, rather, it’s where I can visualize the song headed. I’m guessing the listening experience to be much more dynamic than what we can hear from these clips. I mean, they did choose the most subdued moments from the two singles, why can’t I assume that the same is happening with the other songs. I really enjoy the atmosphere. Seems like a warmer album than Strays at least. Not much more can be said about the clips, but it did ignite some wonder that leads me to believe they could have something. I wish you guys heard the same thing as I do, but much more goes into listening and receiving the music than just the objective quality of the music. This sounds much more like what I would listen to than anything put out by any of them in recent memory. :nod:

cursed male

#23 Post by cursed male » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:27 am

'Splash A Little Water On It' sounds exactly like an Everlast song.

crater

#24 Post by crater » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:43 am

Ultimate Reason is the only one I didn't immediately dislike. After repeated listens, the rest are still :jasper: to me.

Leto

#25 Post by Leto » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:09 am

Underground - The bassline sounds like Eric Avery Lite. Not enjoying the Adrian Belew like car starting guitar riff as well as the similar riff featured in ETTL. Too gimmicky in a bad sort of way like the kerchunk in Radiohead's Creep. (IMO for gimmicky in a good sort of way, listen to Martin Hannett's production on Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures) Song doesn't sound bad though.

Curiosity Kills - has similar sounds to a song I've been really digging as of late. The Engineers - Subtober

Not a bad thing thing, they are definitely tapping into the some of the zeitgeist of current dreampop and post-punk music but don't seem to be providing enough of their own identity.(Maybe it's the Rich Costey Hot Topic Production Wash?) Someone mentioned where are the big riffs? Yeah, where are their big riffs? I think even more importantly where are the dangerous/mysterious/hypnotic basslines but that horse has already been flogged to death.

I'll Hit You Back - Yeah... alright.

Twisted Tales - Alright... I'd like to see where this goes. Kind of a Depeche Mode vibe.

Ultimate Reason - Nice.

Broken People - Karen O could sing this song although the lyrics would have to be less tepid. I'm really liking the hints of Sitek on these songs. I am having mixed feelings about Rich Costey's Production.

Splash a Little Water On It - Hmmm.

Words Right Out of My Mouth - Rawk.

When listening, I tried to ignore the content of Perry's lyrics and tried to just zero in on his melodies along with the music. I just don't relate to anything he says anymore and I don't find his mystical LA dad perspective or musings at all interesting. Anyway, still to early to tell with just song bits but this does sound better than Strays, which could be considered a sort of a backhanded compliment considering how low they set the bar with that album.
They should incorporate at least 5 of these songs into their set a night. That would be a welcome change of pace to their staid setlist.
This album should be fun to dissect, it sounds like they used the studio as an instrument which is something I enjoy and makes for great ear candy. Better than I was expecting.