Psi Com - Desolation Center

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Mescal

Psi Com - Desolation Center

#1 Post by Mescal » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:17 am

Don't know if it was discussed here, but I think we did.

I read about this on another forum:

FROM THE DESERT TO THE SEA: THE DESOLATION CENTER EXPERIENCE

For immediate release

CORNELIUS PROJECTS
1417 SOUTH PACIFIC AVENUE
SAN PEDRO, CALIFORNIA 90731
corneliusprojects.com

Contact: Laurie Steelink (310) 266-9216 / corneliusprojects@gmail.com

June 17–July 30, 2017
Opening reception Saturday, June 17 from 6–9 p.m.

Before the era of Burning Man, Lollapalooza, and Coachella, Desolation Center drew punk and industrial music fans to the far reaches of the Mojave Desert for the first of five events, “Mojave Exodus,” in April of 1983. Traveling by rented school bus, hardy devotees journeyed to witness events that the LA Weekly described as being like “some bizarre ritual at the end of the world.“ A seafaring music expedition launched from LA Harbor in San Pedro led the LA Reader’s Chris Morris to declare it had “opened a new window in my head.” These surreal guerrilla shows featured site-specific performances by Sonic Youth, Meat Puppets, Minutemen, Einstürzende Neubauten, Survival Research Laboratories, Redd Kross, Saccharine Trust, Savage Republic and Swans, and paved the way for the mega-festivals that have become a crucial part of music and alternative culture in the 21st century.

Cornelius Projects pays tribute to Desolation Center’s pioneering vision with an exhibition featuring painting, photography, sculpture, video, and ephemera. Participating in the show are Desolation Center alumni Mike Watt, Curt and Cris Kirkwood, Mark Pauline, Raymond Pettibon, Anthony Ausgang, Kristine Kryttre, John Tottenham, Joe Baiza, Ann Summa, Dave Markey, Bruce Licher, Naomi Petersen, SPOT and more. Images from the exhibition will be featured in Swezey’s documentary Desolation Center (http://www.desolationcenter.com) slated for release next year.

is co-curated by: Laurie Steelink, Stuart Swezey, Craig Ibarra, and Mariska Leyssius. Readings, panel discussions, live music performances, and rarely seen underground films and videos will be presented during the run of the exhibition. A schedule is forthcoming.

Cornelius Projects is a space dedicated to promoting culture and art in San Pedro, CA. During the exhibition Cornelius Projects will be open Thursday through Sunday from 12–5 pm or by appointment.

http://corneliusprojects.com/post/16007 ... ion-center

I asked about the recent Psi Com footage that popped up on youtube:

Is there some live Psi Com footage on it?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2VkLBk_71Vs

This popped up on YouTube not so long ago.

Is the live footage from this Dvd? If it is, is it also a studio song over it, or is it a live song?

This is the answer I got:

I would say that yes, this footage is likely from that last Desolation Center desert show, and that it was edited to fit with the studio recording of the song. Apparently some of the folks from the Flipside 'zine videotaped much of this final DC event (and may have filmed Joy At Sea as well -- not 100% sure). There are a few short clips of Psi Com from that event in the film with the live sound, though not any complete songs. Perry does show up a couple of other times in the film, including a short interview clip. Apparently he attended one of the earlier festival screenings of the film and contacted Stuart to say he'd like to participate, so bits of his interview were edited into the final version of the film, which is what this DVD contains. Psi Com were an amazing band, even if you're not a fan of the style, they were always on form, and very influential to other bands that followed, such as Red Temple Spirits.