Would Perry be Canceled Today?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Hokahey
Site Admin

Would Perry be Canceled Today?

#1 Post by Hokahey » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:24 am

Based on what it seems to take to get canceled, there are a lot of things about Perry that I see people take heat for lately. For example:

1. Use of the N Word - On stage and in songs like Whores and w/ Ice-T (regardless of context).

2. Cultural Appropriation - Dreadlocks, tribal scarring, Hispanic imagery, Kind Heaven

3. Fetishism and Stereotyping of Race - Black Girlfriend

4. Mistreatment of Women - If Perry was popular today, and Casey publicly told the stories of his emotional abuse, he'd be pretty fucked.

Im not advocating for anything here, just a passing thought.

nestos

Re: Would Perry be Canceled Today?

#2 Post by nestos » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:10 pm

Using scornful words or underlining a difference that is not one for you is a way of showing how disgusting they are.

I think this is the case in 1 and 3.

By the way, it reminds me of Perry associating italians with mafia during a concert in Italy.

Was it provocation ? Narrow-mindedness ? It's hard to say...

kv

#3 Post by kv » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:30 pm

Yes...for xiola alone

Hokahey
Site Admin

#4 Post by Hokahey » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:57 pm

kv wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:30 pm
Yes...for xiola alone
Oh shit. Not sure how I forgot about that one. Crazy how quickly things change.

MicrowavedGerbil

#5 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:54 pm

Cancel culture lol..
I was born in 93' and honestly don't don't even consider myself part of this new wave of social justice(ism) we see today. Pepe le pew won't be appearing in the new space jam for perpetuating "rape culture". Perry basically performed necrophilia in the gift.... you tell me lmao.

Juana

#6 Post by Juana » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:30 pm

Definitely this days with the climate out there that being said I'm torn on it some of the most vile people made the best art

guysmiley

#7 Post by guysmiley » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:27 pm

We'll all be cancelled eventually at this rate. So tired......

SR

#8 Post by SR » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:16 pm

Juana wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:30 pm
Definitely this days with the climate out there that being said I'm torn on it some of the most vile people made the best art
Funny, I am finishing up Ministry: The Lost Gospels of Al Jorgensen. No close second to his level of pure twat. The most seasoned fuckup/drunk/addicts couldn't deal with him, and unless you were cool with him puking on you, you were the asshole. :eyes:

blackcoffee

#9 Post by blackcoffee » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:48 am

Some of you guys surprise me. We evolve right? We're capable of empathy, and seeing outside of our own experience?

I'm pretty sure the notion of "cancel culture" is a tool the right wing uses to not take responsibility for being cunts. I saw Ted Cruz talking about he's not going to be wearing masks for the next x number of years purely for virtue signaling. That's not why we're wearing masks, right. It's a distraction, and it's effective.

Looking over that original list, though, I think Perry would actually get a "pass" for most everything there. He and Ice T partnered on that song, which is a cover. The one use of the N word in Whores on XXX is unfortunate, but isn't the same as a white rapper or something taking the word on and using it repeatedly.

If anything, the more I reflect on his early art/influences, I can't help thinking that the Jane's aesthetic is owed as much to Casey as Perry. If not more. I wonder if Perry is/was capable of recognizing how much he took from her as his own.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#10 Post by Hokahey » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:47 pm

blackcoffee wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:48 am
Some of you guys surprise me. We evolve right? We're capable of empathy, and seeing outside of our own experience?

I'm pretty sure the notion of "cancel culture" is a tool the right wing uses to not take responsibility for being cunts. I saw Ted Cruz talking about he's not going to be wearing masks for the next x number of years purely for virtue signaling. That's not why we're wearing masks, right. It's a distraction, and it's effective.

Looking over that original list, though, I think Perry would actually get a "pass" for most everything there. He and Ice T partnered on that song, which is a cover. The one use of the N word in Whores on XXX is unfortunate, but isn't the same as a white rapper or something taking the word on and using it repeatedly.

If anything, the more I reflect on his early art/influences, I can't help thinking that the Jane's aesthetic is owed as much to Casey as Perry. If not more. I wonder if Perry is/was capable of recognizing how much he took from her as his own.
I don't necessarily disagree with any of that. Although, I think the only pass he would get would be covering the song with Ice-T. Even then, I don't think anyone would attempt that same cover today.

Pandemonium

#11 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:23 pm

I don't think anyone cares or even knows who Perry is these days so I think he's safe.

I do think a band like Jane's or just about any artist or band with any sort of edge up through the end of the 90's would never get past first base in today's culture. Everything and everyone is so polarized and eager to be offended and jump on the outrage wagon, no so-called artist is going to make waves. Think about it - the most daring pop music on the radio now comes from the likes of Billy Eilish, Ariana Grande and The Weekend.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#12 Post by Hokahey » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:08 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:23 pm
I don't think anyone cares or even knows who Perry is these days so I think he's safe.

I do think a band like Jane's or just about any artist or band with any sort of edge up through the end of the 90's would never get past first base in today's culture. Everything and everyone is so polarized and eager to be offended and jump on the outrage wagon, no so-called artist is going to make waves. Think about it - the most daring pop music on the radio now comes from the likes of Billy Eilish, Ariana Grande and The Weekend.
I think an artist could be edgy nowadays and still get by. It would be a tighter rope to walk, but not impossible by any means.

I think the reason "edge" disappeared is because it became this really cringey mainstream thing in the early to mid 2000s before burning out. Limp Bizkit, Jackass, Nu-Metal, The Whores Message Board, etc

That whole thing killed hard rock, killed edge culture, spikey hair, chain wallets and anything EXTREME for a very long time.

guysmiley

#13 Post by guysmiley » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:14 am

I just wish the mobs on the internet would accept apologies. We all grow learn and make mistakes. But yeah. No one's cares enough about Perry. I think he's ok.

bman

#14 Post by bman » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:53 am

Sadly yes. David Lee Roth, Motley Crue, and every other flamboyent bad boy band would not last today due to twitter and the self righteous mob. I was watching the Ken Burns Ernest Hemingway doc on PBS and was telling my Wife that Hemingway would be canceled today. We live in shit times!

Juana

#15 Post by Juana » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:35 pm

SR wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:16 pm
Juana wrote:
Funny, I am finishing up Ministry: The Lost Gospels of Al Jorgensen. No close second to his level of pure twat. The most seasoned fuckup/drunk/addicts couldn't deal with him, and unless you were cool with him puking on you, you were the asshole. :eyes:
Uncle Al is still nuts I saw him a couple years ago this day in Austin, that dude when he was loaded was completely out there. Even further than Perry I guess I can only company Al to someone like GG

Tyler Durden

#16 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:20 am

The new generation is the equivalent to the soccer mom boycotting the corporate sponsors of the tv show "Married With Children" in the late 80s.

I feel like "cancel culture" has always existed. You used to vote with your wallet (if you thought someone was a piece of shit), not piss and moan for virtue signal points. Cancel culture has morphed into what used to be moral panic...the target was Dungeons & Dragons, then it was heavy metal, then rap music, then video games...now it's anything with a fucking pulse.

In 1985, it was Tipper Gore. in 2021, it's anyone with a social media account.

bman

#17 Post by bman » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:29 pm

Good Point. In the 80's there was Tipper Gore and maybe a handful of evangelicals. And no one paid any attention to them. Now's there's a mob that can destroy people's lives overnight.

SR

#18 Post by SR » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:12 am

Juana wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:35 pm
SR wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:16 pm
Juana wrote:
Uncle Al is still nuts I saw him a couple years ago this day in Austin, that dude when he was loaded was completely out there. Even further than Perry I guess I can only company Al to someone like GG
During Lolla1, my wife was dating this guy who didn't take her to the show. After we started dating I mentioned she missed a great one, so she bought a couple of tix for us for 2. Ministry came on and Al was in bad shape. He couldn't stop some pretty serious ad hominins towards everyone in attendance. She was floored. The band was great. I get the impression he's really a conflicted guy with a big heart, but lashes out when under the spell of the hard stuff. :noclue:

Hype

#19 Post by Hype » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:34 am

bman wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:29 pm
Good Point. In the 80's there was Tipper Gore and maybe a handful of evangelicals. And no one paid any attention to them. Now's there's a mob that can destroy people's lives overnight.
What are you old people talking about?! The Moral Majority was a huge force for evil in the 80s, from Reagan onwards. They were attacking musicians non-stop, getting them banned from radio and record stores, attacking record stores for displaying 'obscene' material... Creating lists of "devil's music" shit and getting what we now call "Karens" (but back then were probably called "Susan") all hot and bothered.

trevor ayer

#20 Post by trevor ayer » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:00 am

yup same ole shit .. ebbs n flows .. perrys fans cancelled him a long time ago tho not because of his lyrics or live rants unfortunately

Tyler Durden

#21 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue May 11, 2021 6:01 am

Hype wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:34 am
bman wrote:
What are you old people talking about?! The Moral Majority was a huge force for evil in the 80s, from Reagan onwards. They were attacking musicians non-stop, getting them banned from radio and record stores, attacking record stores for displaying 'obscene' material... Creating lists of "devil's music" shit and getting what we now call "Karens" (but back then were probably called "Susan") all hot and bothered.

Yeah, we're well aware of this. That was the point of my original post; it used to just be government intervention (for the most part), spearheaded by the likes of Tipper Gore et al against scapegoats instead of actually solving society's problems. Now, the general public en masse has turned on itself, policing each other, doing the government's dirty work, and ruining lives on a daily basis. Some warranted...but most, largely not. It's one thing when it's "Susan" or "Karen" calling into radio shows during play dates...it's another thing when it's every other person in North American with an internet connection. It's gotten way worse.

Hype

#22 Post by Hype » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:31 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:01 am
Hype wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:34 am
bman wrote:

Yeah, we're well aware of this. That was the point of my original post; it used to just be government intervention (for the most part), spearheaded by the likes of Tipper Gore et al against scapegoats instead of actually solving society's problems. Now, the general public en masse has turned on itself, policing each other, doing the government's dirty work, and ruining lives on a daily basis. Some warranted...but most, largely not. It's one thing when it's "Susan" or "Karen" calling into radio shows during play dates...it's another thing when it's every other person in North American with an internet connection. It's gotten way worse.
Wait, do I have to go further back and remind you of McCarthyism? People have been moralizing nutbags forever. And they always will be. I don't think *that* is what's worse. I think our always-on interconnectedness has just made it feel far worse because we can't escape it.

VancouverRick

#23 Post by VancouverRick » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:14 am

Tyler Durden wrote:

It's gotten way worse.
Man... I haven't commented on this site since... forever.

Without getting into too many details, let me give you a gist for how chilling the climate is... in the medical profession. My partner is a physician, and she has colleagues (who I have spoken with) who have opted out of teaching medical students out of doxxing fears, etc. I've spoken to paediatricians who - privately - feel tongue tied in how they address gender dysphoria with parents. They too are worried about the activists. In particular after Dr. Ken Zucker's firing from CAMH, a leading reseaerch/clinician on gender dysphoria:
CAMH again apologized to, and settled with Zucker,[38] paying $586,000 in damages, legal fees, and interest
More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Zucker

You know who pays the price for all of this... anxious/worried parents, and their children.

The ramifications for all of this will be more severe than anything we saw in the 80s (Tipper Gore and lyrics) or 50s/60s (Blacklists). Maybe Salem was worse... but we're still in the middle of this cultural revolution.

Finally, with respect to Perry... of course he'd be cancelled. He's white, Jewish and wealthy. He's way, waaaayyyyyy down the intersectional pecking order. And Casey would be next, guilt by association. Eric Avery - due to skin color - embodies white supremacy, so he'd be on the chopping block as well. It's a good thing the cool kids in 2021 could give a rats-ass about Jane's Addiction.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#24 Post by Hokahey » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:48 am

VancouverRick wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:14 am
Tyler Durden wrote:

It's gotten way worse.
Eric Avery - due to skin color - embodies white supremacy, so he'd be on the chopping block as well. It's a good thing the cool kids in 2021 could give a rats-ass about Jane's Addiction.
:eyes:

This is ridiculously stupid.

VancouverRick

#25 Post by VancouverRick » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:00 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:48 am
VancouverRick wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:14 am
Tyler Durden wrote:

It's gotten way worse.
Eric Avery - due to skin color - embodies white supremacy, so he'd be on the chopping block as well. It's a good thing the cool kids in 2021 could give a rats-ass about Jane's Addiction.
:eyes:

This is ridiculously stupid.

Tweet (2021)

Just saw this new band called Jane's Addiction. Played a song called Whores. Had the lyric:

"I find my fun with the freaks and the niggers"

Super uncomfortable. All white band. Bass player has dreads.

A few tweets to Warner, and that would be that.