Jane's Addiction to Rock Jimmy Kimmel Tonight

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
drifter

Re: Jane's Addiction to Rock Jimmy Kimmel Tonight

#51 Post by drifter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:51 am

kv wrote:you are still shaking from janes on kimmel?

:slap:
both really, plus the six cokes i drank on the 5 hour ride back to vegas from la. 45 days still sober and this was a huge thing for me not to get toasted for the show. :aoa: :banana: :wave: :agree: :rockon: :wiggle:

trevor ayer

#52 Post by trevor ayer » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:27 am

drifter .. is this the same recorder you used for perry palooza? of all the janes crap you post that you buy, i think you should do yourself a favor and upgrade ur vid recorder/cell phone whatever .. u can even post it in the janes related buy section ..

guysmiley

#53 Post by guysmiley » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:30 am

AH, it wasnt that bad. Im not big on the sound of the backing track anyways. You can tell they have stuff to iron out. I was they would drop the backing track.

bman

#54 Post by bman » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:53 am

I don't like IF and I hope they play other new songs live instead when they hit NY. I thought he had a delay and chorus on his mic. backing track definately make it sound fuller, but I still think the song is nothing special.

Larry B.

#55 Post by Larry B. » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:55 am

Yeah, I expected worse. Still, it did absolutely nothing for me. Really very mediocre song, and poor performance. Remember when Jane's used to have a frontman?

The difference between verse and chorus is just too noticeable. It's cringe-worthy noticeable. Either they drop it, or they add some reverb to the verses, to disguise a little the fact that all of a sudden this guy, who's barely able to whisper and mumble some crap for 25 seconds, sings with 2 voices hitting precise notes.

Lazy, lazy band.

Jasper

#56 Post by Jasper » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:59 am

I do not like the IF backing track at all. At least try to come up with a way for the live vocal fx to do the deed. Chorus, echo, kick up the reverb...fuck, auto tune if he needs it. You could have the chorus auto-tuned and Perry's voice straight...that could give it some variance and some life. Just brainstorming here.

The backing track just sounds so fake and out of place. I'd even rather have Dave doing backup vocals.

Tyler Durden

#57 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:08 am

My biggest problem with Irresistible Force is when they go into the chorus. It's one of those songs that gives the illusion of being dynamic, yet it totally lacks any "oomph". When this band used to change direction mid song, it felt like the music could take your head clean off. The switch from the first verse into the chorus lacks the power this band used to possess.

drifter

#58 Post by drifter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:26 am

something interesting or not, the cd jimmy held up was blank. nothing was on the back cover. the front cover was just photocopied.

drifter .. is this the same recorder you used for perry palooza? of all the janes crap you post that you buy, i think you should do yourself a favor and upgrade ur vid recorder/cell phone whatever .. u can even post it in the janes related buy section ..

good memory,no, different camera, same idiot photographer :scared:

guysmiley

#59 Post by guysmiley » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:20 am

drifter wrote:something interesting or not, the cd jimmy held up was blank. nothing was on the back cover. the front cover was just photocopied.

good memory,no, different camera, same idiot photographer :scared:
It actually is interesting that this has been held so close to the chest. No leak so far is pretty amazing, I hope it doesn't build to disappointment. I would love for this to blow my mind. I might buy it out for old times sake. Who knows. Fuck. Good for them playing music at their age, however, don't take it for granted, give the crowd a show!

leviticus

#60 Post by leviticus » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:44 am

Wow, that sucked. As for the comment about not seeing the back cover, it's up on Amazon.

Deconstruction

#61 Post by Deconstruction » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:47 am

Jeez Perry, right when some of the clips of TGEA sound promising you have to go and lip sync on NATIONAL TV. Embarrassing :no:

blackula

#62 Post by blackula » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:50 am

Jasper wrote:I do not like the IF backing track at all. At least try to come up with a way for the live vocal fx to do the deed. Chorus, echo, kick up the reverb...fuck, auto tune if he needs it. You could have the chorus auto-tuned and Perry's voice straight...that could give it some variance and some life. Just brainstorming here.

The backing track just sounds so fake and out of place. I'd even rather have Dave doing backup vocals.
I was thinking the same thing. Why not have Dave sing backup? The backing track sounds silly, especially if every single syllable is not right on point.

And Bman, I agree as well. More new material live at Irving.

Tyler Durden

#63 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:04 pm

leviticus wrote:As for the comment about not seeing the back cover, it's up on Amazon.
I like it.

thoreau

#64 Post by thoreau » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:16 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
leviticus wrote:As for the comment about not seeing the back cover, it's up on Amazon.
I like it.
I like it too. Worlds better than the Strays packaging. I hope it will be a digipak.

guysmiley

#65 Post by guysmiley » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:55 pm

Deconstruction wrote:Jeez Perry, right when some of the clips of TGEA sound promising you have to go and lip sync on NATIONAL TV. Embarrassing :no:
Dude really? I didn't like it but it wasn't lip sync. Fuck you guys are negative. Read a little or just listen and or watch before you comment.

leviticus

#66 Post by leviticus » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:00 pm

guysmiley wrote:
Deconstruction wrote:Jeez Perry, right when some of the clips of TGEA sound promising you have to go and lip sync on NATIONAL TV. Embarrassing :no:
Dude really? I didn't like it but it wasn't lip sync. Fuck you guys are negative. Read a little or just listen and or watch before you comment.
It wasn't lip syncing, but it sucked pretty bad.

drifter

#67 Post by drifter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:05 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
I like it.
cool. i like it too

jptm

#68 Post by jptm » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:24 pm

coproduced by perry, huh? i smell pro tools overload.

Tyler Durden

#69 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:30 pm

"Co-produced"?

Why doesn't it just read "Produced by Rich Costey and Perry Farrell"? :confused:

judah

#70 Post by judah » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:59 pm

it wasn't great was it.

CaseyContrarian

#71 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:"Co-produced"?

Why doesn't it just read "Produced by Rich Costey and Perry Farrell"? :confused:
It's because Perry recorded 90% of his vocals at home with "his guy." I bet he wasn't in the room with Dave and Perk more than twice.

Pandemonium

#72 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:23 pm

drifter wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
I like it.
cool. i like it too

Looks fine taken on it's own. But put in context with the front cover art and style, there's no stylistic continuity. It's like two totally different "artists" put together the front and back graphics.

Matz

#73 Post by Matz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:51 pm

maybe that's the intention

Kajicat

#74 Post by Kajicat » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:02 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
drifter wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
I like it.
cool. i like it too

Looks fine taken on it's own. But put in context with the front cover art and style, there's no stylistic continuity. It's like two totally different "artists" put together the front and back graphics.
I actually don't like it. Love the front cover, don't like the back cover. Like someone else said, no continuity. Looks like the back of some 2011 hip hop album to me...half expect it to say co-produced by Kanye West.

BUT...
I like ETTL
I like IF
I like the front album cover.
God I'm like the black sheep of this place :conf:

BTW can't wait to watch Jane's on Kimmel, I DVR'd it. Didn't watch the youtube's in this thread...WAITING FOR 1080i ON MY 55" LED WITH SURROUND SOUND WHAT WHAT WHAT (all the better to hear the backing vocal track :hehe: )

Kajicat

#75 Post by Kajicat » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:27 pm

(Double Post)

Ok just watched it and I thought it was actually quite good...I guess you guys got me to set my standards pretty low. :neutral:

I didn't mind the backing vocals at all...in fact I actually feel bad for Perry. He's straining soooooo hard to hit certain notes and isn't able to. It actually makes my kidneys hurt watching. His voice is SHOT. The backing vocal track doesn't take anything away from the performance at all, only adds to it positively. You can still hear a clear distinction between the backing track and Perry's voice. IF isn't going to be a great song live no matter what imo. Maybe it could have been back in the day, but not now when they are older. I liked it though.

STOP was excellent! Really thought they did a great job. I think Perry sounded much better on this than he did on IF. I like how he got is snaps in at 3:44...you know he's just dying to! :lolol:

I will say I with Chaney would move around a bit more. Dude is like a damn statue on stage.