Axel

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
bman

Axel

#1 Post by bman » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:07 pm

Man...Perry has aged MUCH better than some his contemporarys.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplif ... is-volume/

Artemis

Re: Axel

#2 Post by Artemis » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:28 pm

Perry looks fantastic for his age!
He's stll fit and trim and attractive looking. His hair is still thick and luxurious-no receding hairline.
I like how he dress too. Very stylish, imo.

Deconstruction

#3 Post by Deconstruction » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:37 pm

Regardless of what I think about Perry's recent output and what he wears on stage, the guy looks great for his age.

CaseyContrarian

#4 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:49 pm

Deconstruction wrote:Regardless of what I think about Perry's recent output and what he wears on stage, the guy looks great for his age.
He does look really good. I wish he hadn't gotten his nose job, though. That pointy schnozz was part of his crazed charm. Maybe that's when he lost it -- like when Samson got his hair cut.

AdmitI

#5 Post by AdmitI » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:06 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Deconstruction wrote:Regardless of what I think about Perry's recent output and what he wears on stage, the guy looks great for his age.
He does look really good. I wish he hadn't gotten his nose job, though. That pointy schnozz was part of his crazed charm. Maybe that's when he lost it -- like when Samson got his hair cut.
A nose job can also change your singing voice. Might be part of the reason he can't hit
Some notes any more.... Along with age and strain of singing for 30 years

CaseyContrarian

#6 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:35 pm

AdmitI wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:
A nose job can also change your singing voice. Might be part of the reason he can't hit
Some notes any more.... Along with age and strain of singing for 30 years
That definitely crossed my mind.

bman

#7 Post by bman » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:21 pm

kind of shocking that he got that nose job.

Juana

#8 Post by Juana » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:23 pm

Well Perry is still an avid surfer from all accounts so its no surprise he's still in good shape and he seems to eat relatively healthy

Mescal

#9 Post by Mescal » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:32 pm

Wow, they played estranged!!!!

Now, that's a treat.

Ok, it sounds like crap, but at least they played it.

Juana

#10 Post by Juana » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:15 am

It sounded like shit because Rose has buried himself in a bottle because he knows that his sham cover band is a joke.

As for Perry at least he seems happy and has a life outside of Jane's... no matter what any of us think, the man is not the train wreck that Axl has turned himself into

Warped

#11 Post by Warped » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:42 am

Wow, that Axel pic is shocking :no:

And i agree Perry looks great for his age though he isn't the type of man i am into. :noclue:

Bandit72

#12 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:20 am

That is a horrible performance of Estranged.

imail724

#13 Post by imail724 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:25 am

bman wrote:kind of shocking that he got that nose job.
I had no idea of that. I guess I just don't notice that kind of stuff. When did he get it done? Anyone wanna post side-by-side pictures of before and after?

trevor ayer

#14 Post by trevor ayer » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:35 am

are people saying perry got a nose job? perry does not look great for his age. did u see the strays doc .. perry looks like don knotts .. i really cant believe that perry did not get face lift or tons of botox or something .. his face is way way tighter than strays era .. axl may have an extra chin growing but he looks at least a little more real than perry, who looks like another hollywood plastic surgery disaster .. do you all think joan rivers looks great too? :hs:

Pandemonium

#15 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:37 am

trevor ayer wrote:are people saying perry got a nose job? perry does not look great for his age. did u see the strays doc .. perry looks like don knotts .. i really cant believe that perry did not get face lift or tons of botox or something .. his face is way way tighter than strays era .. axl may have an extra chin growing but he looks at least a little more real than perry, who looks like another hollywood plastic surgery disaster .. do you all think joan rivers looks great too? :hs:
Axl had some sort of face stretch surgery around 2005 to the point his eyes looked like slits for a few years 'til he Bluto'd out recently. Perry *does* look pretty good and certainly fit for his age although I wish he'd spend (more?) time with a vocal coach to get his voice in some sort of consistent, solid shape.

Jasper

#16 Post by Jasper » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:50 am

When he's not doing Liberace, Perry looks great. He looked great in his suit doing L.A. Medley.

I'll back what Pandemonium says about a vocal coach. Perry's style has been brutal on his voice. Sometimes he sounds really good, but he's wildly inconsistent. If some professional vocal training could shore things up for him, his life might be a lot easier.

ant

#17 Post by ant » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:58 am

Axel looks terrible and sounds just as bad. I can't believe anyone actually buys tickets to see him and a band of whoever backing him up. I caught them once on the Use Your Illusion tour and while they put on a good show back then I still wished I'd see them when it was the original 5 guys.

Perry definitely looks and sounds far and above better than Axel. There's no comparison.

Pandemonium

#18 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:14 am

ant wrote:Axel looks terrible and sounds just as bad. I can't believe anyone actually buys tickets to see him and a band of whoever backing him up. I caught them once on the Use Your Illusion tour and while they put on a good show back then I still wished I'd see them when it was the original 5 guys.
Mixed bag. First time I saw Guns n' Roses was when they opened for The Lords Of The New Church at a crappy little club in Long Beach called Fenders around '86 before they put out the first live EP. I had no idea who they were at the time. Axl was in his glam phase looking like an even gayer version of Michael Monroe (the band was hugely influenced by Hanoi Rocks at the time) and while there was a few obviously strong songs in the set, the band put on what I'd consider one of the most impressive trainwrecks of a show I'd seen up to that time. At times, no one was playing in time with each other and no one seemed to be playing in the same key. Duff was so fucked up, he passed out during the last song - just all the sudden fell back unconscious in a heap in front of his rig and the band didn't even pause to see what was up with the guy. A roadie dragged him offstage as they finished the song like it was a comedy skit.

After Appetite For Destruction came out though, they changed big time and every show I saw them do during that 2 year spread (headlining in a theater, opening for The Cult and later Aerosmith) was really solid to excellent, especially the "homecoming" stand at The Palace in Hollywood during the Christmas holiday week of '88.

The cracks started appearing when I saw them open for The Rolling Stones in late '89 when they had released the "Lies" EP and were almost as big as the Stones themselves. This was the last time I saw the original lineup. This was the show were Axl ranted through the set about drug use in the band and possibly ending the band. Before the show during the late afternoon set by Living Colour, Slash was wandering around in what appeared to be a drunken stupor in our front section on the floor until security whisked him away when a lot of fans started mobbing him.

The next time I saw was at the LA Forum in mid-Summer right before the Illusion albums (Izzy was still in the band) came out and from what I understand, it was the longest show the band ever played at 3 1/2 hours and close to 40 songs. By about the last third of the show, about half the audience had left because it was so late. Because they didn't even start until well after midnight, I remember getting home from the show as the sun was coming up. I saw them again during the Metallica/GnR tour and that was a terrible show. The band had all these backup singers, Izzy was gone, and the set dragged like nobody's business and of course, Axl was in a whiny mood. The fact they came on *after* Metallica only made it worse for them.

The last time I saw them was just before Christmas of '06 on a whim at The Universal Amphitheater and that was a surprisingly good show. Izzy joined the band for about 1/3rd of the very long set which was pretty much the entire AFD album and about 8 Illusion era tunes and a few of the better still-unreleased (at that time) Chinese Democracy tunes. Another unintentionally funny highlight was the keyboard or drum setup catching fire from the pyro during one song.

Mescal

#19 Post by Mescal » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:27 am

Pandemonium wrote:
ant wrote:Axel looks terrible and sounds just as bad. I can't believe anyone actually buys tickets to see him and a band of whoever backing him up. I caught them once on the Use Your Illusion tour and while they put on a good show back then I still wished I'd see them when it was the original 5 guys.
Mixed bag. First time I saw Guns n' Roses was when they opened for The Lords Of The New Church at a crappy little club in Long Beach called Fenders around '86 before they put out the first live EP. I had no idea who they were at the time. Axl was in his glam phase looking like an even gayer version of Michael Monroe (the band was hugely influenced by Hanoi Rocks at the time) and while there was a few obviously strong songs in the set, the band put on what I'd consider one of the most impressive trainwrecks of a show I'd seen up to that time. At times, no one was playing in time with each other and no one seemed to be playing in the same key. Duff was so fucked up, he passed out during the last song - just all the sudden fell back unconscious in a heap in front of his rig and the band didn't even pause to see what was up with the guy. A roadie dragged him offstage as they finished the song like it was a comedy skit.

After Appetite For Destruction came out though, they changed big time and every show I saw them do during that 2 year spread (headlining in a theater, opening for The Cult and later Aerosmith) was really solid to excellent, especially the "homecoming" stand at The Palace in Hollywood during the Christmas holiday week of '88.

The cracks started appearing when I saw them open for The Rolling Stones in late '89 when they had released the "Lies" EP and were almost as big as the Stones themselves. This was the last time I saw the original lineup. This was the show were Axl ranted through the set about drug use in the band and possibly ending the band. Before the show during the late afternoon set by Living Colour, Slash was wandering around in what appeared to be a drunken stupor in our front section on the floor until security whisked him away when a lot of fans started mobbing him.

The next time I saw was at the LA Forum in mid-Summer right before the Illusion albums (Izzy was still in the band) came out and from what I understand, it was the longest show the band ever played at 3 1/2 hours and close to 40 songs. By about the last third of the show, about half the audience had left because it was so late. Because they didn't even start until well after midnight, I remember getting home from the show as the sun was coming up. I saw them again during the Metallica/GnR tour and that was a terrible show. The band had all these backup singers, Izzy was gone, and the set dragged like nobody's business and of course, Axl was in a whiny mood. The fact they came on *after* Metallica only made it worse for them.

The last time I saw them was just before Christmas of '06 on a whim at The Universal Amphitheater and that was a surprisingly good show. Izzy joined the band for about 1/3rd of the very long set which was pretty much the entire AFD album and about 8 Illusion era tunes and a few of the better still-unreleased (at that time) Chinese Democracy tunes. Another unintentionally funny highlight was the keyboard or drum setup catching fire from the pyro during one song.
Wow, that's really cool!

LA must've been a great place to be in the late 80's.

Wish i had seen them in a small club. Only saw the illusion tour in 93 or something.

NYRexall

#20 Post by NYRexall » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:24 am

Mescal wrote:Wow, they played estranged!!!!

Now, that's a treat.

Ok, it sounds like crap, but at least they played it.
Give it time. They'll work it out and it will sound great in a month. They haven't played it in 20 years.

I enjoy pretty much everything Guns/Axl do/does. Even the much-maligned Chinese Democracy. But "Estranged" is easily my favourite song they've ever done, and one of my favourite songs of all time.

Fuck anyone who judges me on that.

NYRexall

#21 Post by NYRexall » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:28 am

But...even still, a fat Axl in a loud yellow raincoat is a piss-poor way to reintroduce such a song back into their setlist.

JOEinPHX

#22 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:32 am

Hey Axl, Buckethead called. He says that just because he left the band, that doesn't mean you're allowed to steal his gimmick