LA medley

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
kv

LA medley

#1 Post by kv » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:59 pm

cabangbangq

Re: LA medley

#2 Post by cabangbangq » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:14 am

This actually sounds pretty solid up until Nausea. This seems like it is actually pretty tough to do vocally, so props to Perry for trying. Would really love to see this in some future live shows.

Jasper

#3 Post by Jasper » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:52 am

:thumb:
It's so refreshing to hear them sound punky. I wish they'd do it a lot more often...like by playing Trip Away. Nice that they updated L.A. Medley to include more of Nausea. I hope this is something that they'll keep as an option for future shows.

kv

#4 Post by kv » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:24 am

i bet it's jaft only

guysmiley

#5 Post by guysmiley » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:36 am

That's the best thing I've heard them do recently. Lots more energy from Perry and Dave. I would be fine if Perry dressed like that for every show. He looks good!

Warped

#6 Post by Warped » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:59 am

Yeah, agreed it's really great to see them rockin# out like that :rockon:

bman

#7 Post by bman » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:06 am

That is FUCKING AWESOME!

Jasper

#8 Post by Jasper » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:08 am

The weird thing is that they all seem so energized. Perry's impressive, and Dave is a fucking monster on that L.A. Woman solo. Why not include more of these things that seem to actually engage and energize them?

They have the philosophy that people want to come and hear all of the classic hits. Well, if they were more energized and varied in their sets, like a good working band, then people would come to see them play, period. It's not like there wouldn't still be a shitload of classic well-known stuff in their sets for the casual fans.

Larry said "lazy band" in another thread, and I'd add "scared band." Too timid to risk not playing a top-to-bottom greatest hits set every single show.

bman

#9 Post by bman » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:14 am

right. That's why EVERYONE loved the Vibes show. B/C they seemed like an organic cohesive jamming band. Not just going through the same old motions and the same old note for note tracks. That LA Medley fucking KILLED! Jane's can kill on Whole Lotta LOve and LA Medley. They should jam one of those every night. Fuck Been Caught Stealing.

guysmiley

#10 Post by guysmiley » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:19 am

I know these guys are paying attention to our criticism, whether they admit it or not. You can tell they are. And this thread has praise and constructive criticism. YOU GUYS PAY ATTENTION, THIS IS ALL GOOD ADVICE. More of this, less of the same old boring set.

trevor ayer

#11 Post by trevor ayer » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:29 am

janes has enough in their pre 91 catalog to change up the show all the time

2 nights in a row .. why not 3 days one night .. then she did the next .. drop aint no right .. throw in trip away .. close with i would for you or classic girl instead of jane says every night .. open with up the beach one night, kettle whistle the next .. follow up with whores or obvious ..

no need for any post 91 songs .. especially if they are gonna sound as bad as irresistable force does live .. the wierd part is they never really properly toured the pre 91 music .. there is so much there that they could really learn ALL their old songs and have completely different sets every night .. they kinda did that in 86 87 but once NS hit the setlists got really really repetative .. they could dump the entire greatest hits set and still have probably there best set in decades

i think with being corporate whores, they are required to push certain songs all the time .. jane says used to be a rarity for special audiences .. now its required, as is anything in those stupid guitar hero games, or on some stupid tv show .. its like these radio stations that have no djs and they just play what the record biz tells them to play .. janes is just a comercial for iphones, vid games and other crap .. katy perry might as well sing lead .. its not really about the fans anymore, the fans aren't the ones supporting janes anymore, its the big biz that pays their bills .. if we buy the record, we aren't paying janes, we are just paying back what the record biz paid them to promote some crappy new gadget .. dave is on fire on the medley .. he is so precise and reserved live and on recent records its easy to forget how talented he really is .. the vibes show and this sort of shit really show the contrast between a corporate band and a band that loves what they do

Japhy

#12 Post by Japhy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:57 am

trevor ayer wrote:janes has enough in their pre 91 catalog to change up the show all the time

2 nights in a row .. why not 3 days one night .. then she did the next .. drop aint no right .. throw in trip away .. close with i would for you or classic girl instead of jane says every night .. open with up the beach one night, kettle whistle the next .. follow up with whores or obvious ..

no need for any post 91 songs .. especially if they are gonna sound as bad as irresistable force does live .. the wierd part is they never really properly toured the pre 91 music .. there is so much there that they could really learn ALL their old songs and have completely different sets every night .. they kinda did that in 86 87 but once NS hit the setlists got really really repetative .. they could dump the entire greatest hits set and still have probably there best set in decades

i think with being corporate whores, they are required to push certain songs all the time .. jane says used to be a rarity for special audiences .. now its required, as is anything in those stupid guitar hero games, or on some stupid tv show .. its like these radio stations that have no djs and they just play what the record biz tells them to play .. janes is just a comercial for iphones, vid games and other crap .. katy perry might as well sing lead .. its not really about the fans anymore, the fans aren't the ones supporting janes anymore, its the big biz that pays their bills .. if we buy the record, we aren't paying janes, we are just paying back what the record biz paid them to promote some crappy new gadget .. dave is on fire on the medley .. he is so precise and reserved live and on recent records its easy to forget how talented he really is .. the vibes show and this sort of shit really show the contrast between a corporate band and a band that loves what they do
Fuck... sorry to quote all of this but yeah... :thumb: to everything that trevor said.

nestos

#13 Post by nestos » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:47 pm

:banana:

tubro

#14 Post by tubro » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:11 pm

goddamn that's tremendous.
they seem so into it. they seem happier than they do singing aint no right and jane says and been caught stealing. and why not? they're l.a. punk rockers. i was at irving plaza seeing X last week and i was texting a friend of mine who's another famous l.a. punk rocker. X was playing the los angeles album in its entirety and my friend (innerturmoil knows who i'm talking about) said 'one of the 10 best albums ever'. i agree that its an iconic album but that's not the point. the point is that jane's came up in l.a. at a time when every l.a. punk revered X. now all these years and all this stardom later, they have a catalog of hits and i think they play it because they think that's what people want to hear. and maybe they're right about the many many people who make JA such a good sell on the festival circuit. we're not the majority after all. just the biggest fans. an all oldies and rarities set isn't practical. but they do have options. as mentioned here before, 3 days and then she did can rotate. aint no right can go. pigs and kettle whistle can be in rotation. they'll always play stop and ocean and mt song and ted, right? bcs is a given, as is jane sez. but that's only five songs. add l.a. medley every night. its too good not to play. start some shows with beach>whores. others with kettle whistle. have 3 or 4 slots in the show that rotate between two songs - aint no right or noone's leaving. pigs or summertime. classic girl or i would for you. etc. this is not radical. it means that for a tour they have to have 20 songs rehearsed for their 14 song set instead of 14. and they'd be way better for their true fans plus i think they'd enjoy themselves more.

these club shows are turning out to be a missed opportunity to do something cool. they also had the option of playing 3 shows - XXX one night, NS the next, RDLH the third, with a five song set to follow.

just do something fun. in a way, they show signs of being better than they've been in a long time except for the avery year, and that was a boring setlist every night too. they've got new songs. they've got some energy. perry's dressing well. jane's addiction - surprise us and have fun doing it.

kv

#15 Post by kv » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:15 pm

all casey/ex songs are out..people keep saying "ya play i would for you and classic girl"...not gonna happen...3 days is all they will play like that and only because it's one of their greatest songs

Pandemonium

#16 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:33 pm

kv wrote:all casey/ex songs are out..people keep saying "ya play i would for you and classic girl"...not gonna happen...3 days is all they will play like that and only because it's one of their greatest songs
....and Etty doesn't seem to mind having the opportunity to do her half-assed stripper routine during the song.

Kajicat

#17 Post by Kajicat » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:28 pm

Fuckin' good shit! :yeay:

popeye

#18 Post by popeye » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:03 pm

Gotta give credit when it's due

That was great

kv

#19 Post by kv » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:06 pm

cabangbangq wrote:This actually sounds pretty solid up until Nausea. This seems like it is actually pretty tough to do vocally, so props to Perry for trying. Would really love to see this in some future live shows.
ya first youtube video just had end of nausea i wasn't impressed but as a whole it is pretty damn good :rockon:

intertwoven

#20 Post by intertwoven » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:32 pm

kv wrote:
cabangbangq wrote:This actually sounds pretty solid up until Nausea. This seems like it is actually pretty tough to do vocally, so props to Perry for trying. Would really love to see this in some future live shows.
ya first youtube video just had end of nausea i wasn't impressed but as a whole it is pretty damn good :rockon:
we still need the Lexicon Devil part.. assuming that's still in the medley.

Jasper

#21 Post by Jasper » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:30 pm

intertwoven wrote:we still need the Lexicon Devil part.. assuming that's still in the medley.
Lexicon Devil is the middle part.

1:48 - 2:34

Japhy

#22 Post by Japhy » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:58 am

Credit where it's due for playing this... i've always bloody loved LA Medley. I just never tire of listening to it and this clip is getting me stoked for Janes again. Damn brilliant :rockon: