strays

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Juan%

Re: strays

#26 Post by Juan% » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:05 pm

Strays is what it is, it sucks. Don’t get me wrong, I adore them, and for some stupid reason, I always will. I’m a glutton for punishment, I guess?
But strays…😂

The only thing I will give it, is that first 15 seconds, or so, when it kicks, just because (see what I did there, you’re welcome.) I hadn’t heard them for so long, play anything different. And the demos sound the same, just with a little different production, but they’re still shitty songs TGEA is better… and that one is terrible, as well, but for some reason, it’s more fun to listen to, for me. And the tour was surprisingly good, at least the show in Clearwater. I don’t know? Strays, whatever.

PFP kicked ass, the other night, however.

P.S. Whoever mentioned SFTD era Queens, you rule. I saw them, like 5 Times on that tour. They were a force.

bman

#27 Post by bman » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:38 am

They'll never drop Just Because from the set. But they should lol.

Everybody's Friend

#28 Post by Everybody's Friend » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:57 am

I actually liked (and upon re-listen, still like) the title track from the album.

And, as noted above, the first 2 seconds of True Nature.

Noonesshocking

#29 Post by Noonesshocking » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:30 pm

Seeing QOTSA in 2003 is probably the closest thing I will ever experience to what I imagine seeing Jane’s in ‘91 was like. I saw them like a month after lolla ‘03 ended opening for RHCP and they were incredible. I do not care for almost anything that has come after that except for Era Vulgaris and Them Crooked Vultures. Oliveri sat in with them a few years ago and it was magic. If he comes back to the band I’ll be interested again.

Juan%

#30 Post by Juan% » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:34 pm

I really like Era Vulgaris too. TCV, I liked, but I wanted to like it more, I still enjoy listening to it, sometimes, though. But 2002-2003, that was kind of magical. I saw two of the shows, with Grohl, on drums. Then, 3 others, on the tour, Mondo Generator, a few, and Lanegan... I know, this is a Strays thread, but good times.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#31 Post by Hokahey » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:56 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:30 pm
Seeing QOTSA in 2003 is probably the closest thing I will ever experience to what I imagine seeing Jane’s in ‘91 was like. I saw them like a month after lolla ‘03 ended opening for RHCP and they were incredible. I do not care for almost anything that has come after that except for Era Vulgaris and Them Crooked Vultures. Oliveri sat in with them a few years ago and it was magic. If he comes back to the band I’ll be interested again.
1000x this. I was front row for one of those Lolla shows. It was hot as fuck. Dust blowing around. They took the stage like a God damn force of nature that matched the elements. I'll never forget Lanegan walking to that mic, staring out in to the crowd but focusing on nothing, and them just tearing the roof off that shed. One of those handful of shows you see in your life that reaffirms how absolutely powerful live music can be.

I was fortunate to run in to Josh later that day. Just told him thank you for the art, that SFTD was an instant classic, and then let him be.