strays

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
creep
Site Admin

strays

#1 Post by creep » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:12 am

It's hard to believe it's been 19 years since the release. I remember a random guy on xiola.org saying that he had a copy before the release. He sent it to sonny and sonny said the now famous quote "you guys are going to fucking love this album". sonny broke down and shared it with dain/adolf and then everyone heard it before it was released.

It was interesting hearing the different "hyperleaked" versions of the album. Most agree that these versions are better than the final product.

I don't hate the album like most do. I still think it's better than TGEA.

Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: strays

#2 Post by Hokahey » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:26 am

creep wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:12 am
It's hard to believe it's been 19 years since the release. I remember a random guy on xiola.org saying that he had a copy before the release. He sent it to sonny and sonny said the now famous quote "you guys are going to fucking love this album". sonny broke down and shared it with dain/adolf and then everyone heard it before it was released.

It was interesting hearing the different "hyperleaked" versions of the album. Most agree that these versions are better than the final product.

I don't hate the album like most do. I still think it's better than TGEA.
"This is the follow-up to Ritual we've been waiting for." 😆

I thought it was exactly OK, even with Hyperleaked. I remember hearing Perry sing "I got this feeling I'm gonna be let down", and thinking "me too bro."

But I was still a major fan-boy, and desperately wanted that era of Jane's to still be great.

But those fucking music videos man. Especially True Nature. That might be the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen. For a song that with the right mix, could have been good.

someguy

#3 Post by someguy » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:15 am

This was sort of kind of my first real dive into Janes. I had heard how amazing NS and Ritual were and how big of a deal they were, so when I was listening to this I was like “I don’t see what’s so great about this band?”-it just sounded pedestrian to me.

Granted today, I’m not a purist about bands and lineups anymore in general, so there are songs and bits and pieces of songs I think are cool but as a whole it still feels like a pedestrian straight forward alt rawk record, which I guess is what they set out to do. The whole era just really is not that impressive to me.

And man that true nature video is just… what were they thinking? An excuse to have wives and girlfriends dance?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#4 Post by Hokahey » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:23 am

This thread has me listening to this album again for the first time in a very, very long time. And I finally figured out exactly what this album sounds like to me. I used to always think it sounded like an art rock band trying to make a mainstream rock record. Which is exactly what the goal was. But it actually sounds more like the opposite. Like when all those Bon Jovi kind of bands tried making their "alternative" record in the mid nineties. Like a band that was never "cool" trying to make a cool record.

Bob Ezrin, Etty, and Carmen Electra might as well have been the album cover for this thing. Because it sounds like they influenced it more than the band.

phenobarb_bambalam

#5 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:31 pm

It was a strange period. They'd been gone for a long time as a functioning (?) band, so I was excited as fuck for this. Even if it was, indeed, pedestrian, at best. I am glad it's out there, but as an album, I have had no reason to listen to it for many years.

The thing that stood out for me and I will forever be grateful for were the shows. Were they 'classic', no? But they were a lot of fun. I don't recall how many shows I saw on the tour in total now - something like 10. Perry had began his slide into Liberace mode and his voice had started to decline, but they hadn't jumped the shark, yet. There were still chem trails of their former magic, they still had the ability to excite. They still stepped outside of their own template and hadn't become a cover band, yet. Having them play 'My Time' during the flashmob on a London street will forever be a life highlight. (hi Dannyboy :wave: ). Hearing a snippet of 'Slow Divers' for the first...only time ever at Hammersmith Apollo. The magic and emotion of 'Then She Did' as it filled and swirled around Manchester Apollo. As much as I loved having EA back for a stint, the Strays era shows had the last of a particular Jane's spark, for me.

kv

#6 Post by kv » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:30 pm

but they hadn't jumped the shark, yet
They became a cover band in 97...by strays Happy Days had long since been cancelled, so to speak

Noonesshocking

#7 Post by Noonesshocking » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:01 pm

Strays easily did the most damage to their reputation. Not just musically, but aesthetically. The glam look Perry and Dave had going on was unbecoming and the lives shows were embarrassing (cringe keyboard parts). They just generally gave off this vibe that they were this legacy classic rock band instead being cool. I think had 2003 in general not happened, they would have been better off. Even a year before in 2002 they were way cooler. Had they just come back in 2008 after relapse or Jubilee they’d be viewed much more favorably today.

That said, there are things about the album I like. Just Because has that classic Jane’s groove thing placed in a pop arrangement. I truly believe it is a great song and if Eric is actually back, he should agree to play it live this time. The ending of Price I Pay is also like them snapping back into OG JA for 2 minutes. Kind PFP-y too. Hypersonic is a cool track as well.

Would take TGEA over it any day though. They were much better live during NINJA even with the down tuning too. Interestingly enough, I keep hearing the last few shows they did before they broke up in 2004 were really awesome.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#8 Post by Hokahey » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:04 pm

kv wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:30 pm
They became a cover band in 97...by strays Happy Days had long since been cancelled, so to speak
Kettle Whistle was amazing at Jubilee. I don't think they jumped the shark until Lollapalooza 2003. That was their big coming out party as a mainstream rock band.

Noonesshocking

#9 Post by Noonesshocking » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:06 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:04 pm
kv wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:30 pm
Kettle Whistle was amazing at Jubilee. I don't think they jumped the shark until Lollapalooza 2003. That was their big coming out party as a mainstream rock band.
Agree - Jubilee was cool. 2003 was bizarre top to bottom.

Tyler Durden

#10 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:52 am

I’ll never forget being unanimously blasted for my unpopular opinion at the time on xiola.org that The White Stripes’ “Elephant” was way better than Strays and the best rock album of 2003.

I was right. :flip:

dannyboy

#11 Post by dannyboy » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:43 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:52 am
I’ll never forget being unanimously blasted for my unpopular opinion at the time on xiola.org that The White Stripes’ “Elephant” was way better than Strays and the best rock album of 2003.

I was right. :flip:

Nahhh

clickie

#12 Post by clickie » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:40 am

Hokahey wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:23 am
This thread has me listening to this album again for the first time in a very, very long time. And I finally figured out exactly what this album sounds like to me. I used to always think it sounded like an art rock band trying to make a mainstream rock record. Which is exactly what the goal was. But it actually sounds more like the opposite. Like when all those Bon Jovi kind of bands tried making their "alternative" record in the mid nineties. Like a band that was never "cool" trying to make a cool record.

Bob Ezrin, Etty, and Carmen Electra might as well have been the album cover for this thing. Because it sounds like they influenced it more than the band.
Yeah thats pretty accurate. I remember at the time Perry was like we haven't played together for so many years. He said he could tell they were better musicians. Some critics whose opinion I respect who weren't even into Jane's previous
albums thought Strays was great. They got nominated for a grammy for Just Because. Terrible album cover also.

SR

#13 Post by SR » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:57 am

Hadn't thought of this album in forever, until this was this became regular on KLOS recently.

ESY

#14 Post by ESY » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:09 am

Strays is…ok. Got better things to do w/ my listening time than put it on. Last time I did (years ago) I was disappointed again. Just Because is a good song, not by Jane’s. True Nature was a good song until they cut the ending off. To Match the Sun is proto Kind Heaven.
I went to see them before Strays came out where they played Price and Wrong Girl in San Diego. Sounded great live and worked with their other songs. But then again, I was stoned, so maybe it was me :cool:

clickie

#15 Post by clickie » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:07 am

What are you doing SR posting Def Leppard in a Strays thread. Thaey were a pretty good British band with a lot of hits.

esqfool

#16 Post by esqfool » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:27 am

I remember being super amped to hear the leaked album, but didn't want to bug anyone for it. Hoka asked me what I thought and I said well I hadn't heard it yet. So he sent me True Nature and I remember thinking, who is this band? I thought he was fucking with me. The album grew on me over time, but there's definitely songs on there I may have only listened to once or twice.

The shows were hit or miss. I think I saw 3 of them from that era 1 Lollapalooza where Perry's delay unit broke, 1 radio station Xmas show (with Deftones, Smile Empty Soul, Thursday, and Thrice), and then a small club show in KC. Best one I ever saw was in Kansas City at the Beaumont Club at the end of 2003 right before they broke up again. Hoka was there. He got to see a somewhat in shape me at the time, launch some idiot who kept flying out of the pit and hitting people just standing there. Same show some guy swore up and down I was his friend's brother until I finally showed him my driver's license. He looked like he saw a ghost then and swore my doppelganger lived in Kansas City. I'll quit rambling, seems like a lifetime ago.

SR

#17 Post by SR » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:16 am

clickie wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:07 am
What are you doing SR posting Def Leppard in a Strays thread. Thaey were a pretty good British band with a lot of hits.
New DF album. The guitar tones, solo, and t's bridge remind me of the Strays album.

clickie

#18 Post by clickie » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:45 am

I was looking at the Lollapalooza 2003 lineup I think Janes migth thave been the weakest link.

clickie

#19 Post by clickie » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:00 am

SR wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:16 am
clickie wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:07 am
New DF album. The guitar tones, solo, and t's bridge remind me of the Strays album.
Aww thats cool.Megadeth also has a new record comming out. I'm not even into them but i'm glad theyre still making music.

bman

#20 Post by bman » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:11 am

Yeah I've blocked that 2003 era from my memory lol.

Artemis

#21 Post by Artemis » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:05 am

I never bought Strays. I think I listened to it once or twice in its entirety.

'Just Because' reminds me of a dive bar I used to frequent. The juke box had a few JA songs and 'Just Because' was one of them. After a few drinks, I would always play it and think it sounded pretty good. :lol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#22 Post by Hokahey » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:08 am

Artemis wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:05 am

'Just Because' reminds me of a dive bar I used to frequent. The juke box had a few JA songs and 'Just Because' was one of them. After a few drinks, I would always play it and think it sounded pretty good. :lol:
It's not a bad song at all. It's just not a great Jane's song. And that video, woof.

Smokestack

#23 Post by Smokestack » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:49 am

My first time seeing Jane's was during the Jubilee tour in Chicago in 01. Back before YouTube was around to spoil the Kettle Whistle opener, I remember it blowing my mind.

I had such high hopes for Strays. I remember hearing the leaked version and I liked the direction it was going but the finished product...I haven't listened to it since a month after its release. It didn't sound like them at all. I took a good friend of mine to Lollapalooza in 03 and I talked up Jane's the entire time. Jurrasic 5 was great. Queens with Oliveri and Lanegan were fucking awesome. Incubus, who most people on here might hate, put on a great show. Audioslave was outstanding live. Ending the night with Jane's and it felt so flat. 03 was a bad year for them.

I enjoyed seeing EA with Jane's in 09 and I wouldn't go to another Jane's show without him in the fold. I'm more interested in seeing a P4P show.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#24 Post by Hokahey » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:54 pm

Smokestack wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:49 am
My first time seeing Jane's was during the Jubilee tour in Chicago in 01. Back before YouTube was around to spoil the Kettle Whistle opener, I remember it blowing my mind.

I had such high hopes for Strays. I remember hearing the leaked version and I liked the direction it was going but the finished product...I haven't listened to it since a month after its release. It didn't sound like them at all. I took a good friend of mine to Lollapalooza in 03 and I talked up Jane's the entire time. Jurrasic 5 was great. Queens with Oliveri and Lanegan were fucking awesome. Incubus, who most people on here might hate, put on a great show. Audioslave was outstanding live. Ending the night with Jane's and it felt so flat. 03 was a bad year for them.

I enjoyed seeing EA with Jane's in 09 and I wouldn't go to another Jane's show without him in the fold. I'm more interested in seeing a P4P show.
That Queens lineup was fucking sick. They were a absolute force and the most "Lollapalooza" feeling act of that lineup. Audioslave was like watered down RATM/Soundgarden. Incubus was totally unremarkable. And Jane's was...well, I desperately wanted to love it. I tried really hard.

crater

#25 Post by crater » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:51 am

Artemis wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:05 am
I also never bought it and my leaked copy didn't have Wrong Girl or To Match the Sun and to this day I have never heard the studio versions of those two songs.