ERIC IS BACK!

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Tyler Durden

Re: ERIC IS BACK!

#76 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:54 am

This is pure speculation and I have zero evidence to substantiate any of this, but this is where a fan’s mind goes when the band reveals little of what’s been going on:

Perhaps there is some major rift between Dave and Perry (it’s kind of felt that way for a while)…and having Eric back is an incentive (bait) to get Dave back onboard. Maybe there was a final straw with Dave when it comes to Perry and then he decided he’d rather live off reality tv royalties than ever tour with Perry again. Maybe he said that he wouldn’t parade around Jane’s corpse one more time, cranking out the same 15 or so songs from over 30 years ago…unless Eric was involved and they were making new music. :hehe: There may have been some ultimatum. :noclue:

Totally speculating. Just trying to entertain myself until they make some sort of official announcement/launch about new music, etc.

CaseyContrarian

#77 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:05 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:54 am
This is pure speculation and I have zero evidence to substantiate any of this, but this is where a fan’s mind goes when the band reveals little of what’s been going on:

Perhaps there is some major rift between Dave and Perry (it’s kind of felt that way for a while)…and having Eric back is an incentive (bait) to get Dave back onboard. Maybe there was a final straw with Dave when it comes to Perry and then he decided he’d rather live off reality tv royalties than ever tour with Perry again. Maybe he said that he wouldn’t parade around Jane’s corpse one more time, cranking out the same 15 or so songs from over 30 years ago…unless Eric was involved and they were making new music. :hehe: There may have been some ultimatum. :noclue:

Totally speculating. Just trying to entertain myself until they make some sort of official announcement/launch about new music, etc.
I thought that for one hot minute (groan), but the JA insta has the ‘09 lineup and they are tagging DN pretty much everywhere. If Eric is happy with what’s laid down and so is Perry, then it’s really just how Dave fits in, which is easy-peasy, as it’s an already established language when EA lays the foundation.

elbuitre

#78 Post by elbuitre » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:09 am

Hasn’t Dave said in the past that he’s not much of a jamming guy and also doesn’t like to hang around unnecessarily in the studio?

If so, he’ll likely come in and lay down his parts last.

Noonesshocking

#79 Post by Noonesshocking » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:13 am

I feel like Dave probably would have put up the most resistance to letting Chaney go (or Chaney WANTING to go). They are tight.

Tyler Durden

#80 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:23 am

Noonesshocking wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:13 am
I feel like Dave probably would have put up the most resistance to letting Chaney go (or Chaney WANTING to go). They are tight.
Gross.

trevor ayer

#81 Post by trevor ayer » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:25 am

daves best bud just od'd so eye am sure he is taking a lil time 2 maybe not do drugs or get grounded or whatever .. cheney was never a good fit .. hope he never plays with anyone in janes or pyros again .. erics post sounded like they are just laying down some grooves and ideas .. eye don't get the impression they have even a full song worked up yet .. if they work em out as a band and then record, we will get a solid record .. if they build the songs in the studio like def leppard or some other shitty corporate band like the last 2 records, it will suck ...

someguy

#82 Post by someguy » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:27 am

I think the Taylor thing is really hitting Dave hard- he was very into NHC and they had big plans in place. The fact that the tribute shows are partnering with musicares pretty much indicated that it was drugs, and he’s probably reeling from that.

Perry has said he’ll be ready to go on tour at the very least. He also mentioned that a lot of recording would be remote so it’s possible to Dave is working with them from afar as well

But fuck it’s still so surreal to me that we get 1.0 back

ForStringBass

#83 Post by ForStringBass » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:29 am

I'm just speculating also...I assumed Taylor and Dave were very close and that the death hit him hard. Taylor Hawkins died out on tour, away from family, away from his kids...perhaps DN wants to
spend time with his family and friends while he can. I have no clue...I just think the 'long covid' excuse is beyond absurd. :tiphat:

Artemis

#84 Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:31 am

Chris Chaney is listed on the Taylor Hawkins tribute shows in London & L.A. No Dave or Perry. Maybe they will be special guests??

Maybe Dave is just really enjoying being in love. HIs girl is around 30, though she looks about 15.

Tyler Durden

#85 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:32 am

This weird distance with Dave was present before Taylor’s death. Even then, the “long Covid” narrative seemed odd.

Tyler Durden

#86 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:35 am

trevor ayer wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:25 am
if they work em out as a band and then record, we will get a solid record .. if they build the songs in the studio like def leppard or some other shitty corporate band like the last 2 records, it will suck ...
If there is a producer involved at this stage, hopefully it’s not some clown like Bob Ezrin or the like.

creep
Site Admin

#87 Post by creep » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:06 pm

I'm surprised no one has speculated that dave is currently getting clean. :noclue:

Tyler Durden

#88 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:21 pm

creep wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:06 pm
I'm surprised no one has speculated that dave is currently getting clean. :noclue:
Probably is. He’s looked like shit for at least a couple of years; kind of gaunt. I’m sure the lockdown(s) didn’t help matters.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#89 Post by Hokahey » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:27 pm

creep wrote:
I've had the thought. He obviously lost a ton of muscle. He looked very skinny during the Lolla Covid broadcast.

Stickyfingers

#90 Post by Stickyfingers » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:03 pm

I'm just afraid of how long it will last before the toy breaks down again.
I have doubts about Eric. We already know how quickly it takes Eric to change his mind and leave the band.
For example his words on IG "determined to do all I can for Jane's Addiction" seem like an attempt, they don't give me full confidence.

someguy

#91 Post by someguy » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:15 pm

Stickyfingers wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:03 pm
I'm just afraid of how long it will last before the toy breaks down again.
I have doubts about Eric. We already know how quickly it takes Eric to change his mind and leave the band.
For example his words on IG "determined to do all I can for Jane's Addiction" seem like an attempt, they don't give me full confidence.
It seems way more positive to me this time. There was weirdness in 2008 because the relationships hadn’t been built up. They just sort of dove into the NME thing. Eric still felt unconfident around that time and rather than write a blog post about he just said “it’s on” this time. It seems like there’s been some goodwill and they’ve been talking for some time. Although the the Trent thing was cool, it was still sort of out of Janes world and they had no time to work on anything. It looks to me they’re at Perry’s studio and everyone agreed to it and feels good about it.

I remember Stephen saying back in 2009 that in order to do material, they had to be friends. It’s seems like it to me this time around, or close to it.

Tyler Durden

#92 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:22 pm

Yeah, there was tension right out of the gate in 2008. It was clearly visible at the NME performance.

Artemis

#93 Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:32 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:27 pm
creep wrote:
I've had the thought. He obviously lost a ton of muscle. He looked very skinny during the Lolla Covid broadcast.
I didn't think that he might have relapsed. And yes, he does look rather thin. He's already "petite" for a man and now he's even skinnier.

ESY

#94 Post by ESY » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:20 pm

I think its these old men saying to themselves, what the fuck are we doing here? I think Perry has realized, even with his ego, that collectively they are amazingly special, but individually, not so much. I was super sceptical that this would ever happen. I know they all idolize the bauhaus members. Maybe they looked at them and saw what they they could be again. David J wrote a whole book basically saying what a dick Peter Murphy is, but now here they are, back together, and killing it live. I hope PF, DN, SP & EA can do the same.

Diabolik

#95 Post by Diabolik » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:36 pm

Man I’m an optimist

I read Eric’s post as if this is the end of the current session and we have 4 more ideas that might turn into songs

Like how long has this writing session been going? Months? A year ? Do they have stuff that’s far closer to some and this last session just gave them 4 more ideas.

Is it 4 potential ideas in total?

I can’t believe this is happening.

Tyler Durden

#96 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:02 pm

Diabolik wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:36 pm
Man I’m an optimist

I read Eric’s post as if this is the end of the current session and we have 4 more ideas that might turn into songs

Like how long has this writing session been going? Months? A year ? Do they have stuff that’s far closer to some and this last session just gave them 4 more ideas.

I’ve been thinking of it like that as well. We really don’t know how many sessions they’ve done; this could be the fourth or fifth, for all we know…or it could be the first. They may have six completed songs in the can; they may have none. Who knows? :noclue:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#97 Post by Hokahey » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:14 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:02 pm
Diabolik wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:36 pm
Man I’m an optimist

I’ve been thinking of it like that as well. We really don’t know how many sessions they’ve done; this could be the fourth or fifth, for all we know…or it could be the first. They may have six completed songs in the can; they may have none. Who knows? :noclue:
I really think this "current session" is all they've done, and there are 4 song ideas total.

esqfool

#98 Post by esqfool » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:37 pm

I'll take 4 partial ideas over an extended little bit in Pigs in Zen or whatever that was in 2009. I kept clicking on that video the other day thinking the audio would work, haha.

someguy

#99 Post by someguy » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:05 pm

esqfool wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:37 pm
I'll take 4 partial ideas over an extended little bit in Pigs in Zen or whatever that was in 2009. I kept clicking on that video the other day thinking the audio would work, haha.
I hope they use that- when I met Stephen I told him that jam was kickass. He agreed lol

Tyler Durden

#100 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:34 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:14 pm

I really think this "current session" is all they've done, and there are 4 song ideas total.
Most likely. But you never know…anything is possible.