It’s Official - Dave is sitting out the tour

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Noonesshocking

It’s Official - Dave is sitting out the tour

#1 Post by Noonesshocking » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:51 pm

Troy Van Leeuwen to step in.

He is however, staying back to work on new Jane’s material.

creep
Site Admin

Re: It’s Official - Dave is sitting out the tour

#2 Post by creep » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:00 pm

who?

I guess they hid this in case people didn't want to buy tickets if dave wasn't there.

I wonder if we will get the real reason.

someguy

#3 Post by someguy » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:02 pm

He’s from Queens Of The Stone Age

I feel like I’m living in alternate universe. At the very least it’s more interesting than it has been for the last decade pretty much

They couldn’t use Pete?
Last edited by someguy on Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

creep
Site Admin

#4 Post by creep » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:03 pm

loooooooooong covid
To all of the @janesaddiction fans attending the Jane’s/ @smashingpumpkins “Spirits On Fire” tour, I am sorry to have to say that I will not be attending due to my continued battle with Long Covid that I have been dealing with since last December. I had hoped for a full recovery by October but I am still very fatigued and will not be able to join this leg. I am personally gutted as our original bass player has returned. @ericaveryinsta We wanted to bring you the original line up but that will have to wait until I am recovered. While the band is touring, I will be working on some new Jane’s material in the studio here in LA. In the meantime, the great @troyvanleeuwen will be filling in for me. He has been in such bands as Queens of the Stone Age, Failure, A Perfect Circle, Eagles of Death Metal & The Damned just to name a few. He is a great guy and I am honored to have him help make this tour happen. Though I am saddened to not make this tour I am focussed on making a full recovery and re-joining the guys when I am able. I truly wish the band well on this tour and I am confident they will bring everything to make it a fabulous show! Go get em guys! Maybe I can get to a show one night and watch my own band for the first time ever., Thank you for understanding, Dave Navarro

Hokahey
Site Admin

#5 Post by Hokahey » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:09 pm

creep wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:00 pm
who?

I guess they hid this in case people didn't want to buy tickets if dave wasn't there.

Really shitty of them to hide this. This obviously didn't just happen. We spotted this coming a mile away.

Also, I'd like to take credit because I messaged Dave and asked him if he was on the tour or what. :lol:

This fucking band man.

someguy

#6 Post by someguy » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:10 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:09 pm
creep wrote:
who?

Really shitty of them to hide this. This obviously didn't just happen. We spotted this coming a mile away.

Also, I'd like to take credit because I messaged Dave and asked him if he was on the tour or what. :lol:

This fucking band man.
Did you message him today?

I feel good about the fact that it’s not derailing new material. As long as we get new songs…

Hokahey
Site Admin

#7 Post by Hokahey » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:13 pm

creep wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:03 pm
loooooooooong covid
:bs:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#8 Post by Hokahey » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:14 pm

someguy wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:10 pm
Hokahey wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:09 pm
creep wrote:
who?

This fucking band man.
Did you message him today?

I feel good about the fact that it’s not derailing new material. As long as we get new songs…
Yes. Probably just a coincidence though. The tour's about to start and they were out of time to say something.

Noonesshocking

#9 Post by Noonesshocking » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:17 pm

I had recently been convinced we were reading way into things, and fully expected him to be there this Sunday... until Perkins' post this morning about rehearsals. Right before Dave posted that, he had a story up and it was clear he was no where near these rehearsals. My guess is this is something they knew was a possibility, but only very recently became real.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#10 Post by Hokahey » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:24 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:17 pm
I had recently been convinced we were reading way into things, and fully expected him to be there this Sunday... until Perkins' post this morning about rehearsals. Right before Dave posted that, he had a story up and it was clear he was no where near these rehearsals. My guess is this is something they knew was a possibility, but only very recently became real.
And yet we've predicted this for how long now? They've known. They've known for weeks, minimum. You don't add a guitar player that's never been in your band right before a tour.

I'd be pretty annoyed but it was obviously coming.

Also, why Troy? Because he vaguely resembles Navarro? Pete would have at least been something fans could get behind. Troy is a fine player, but the selection feels very suspect to me.

It makes me think of people in the crowd at Jubilee thinking Martyn was Eric.

kv

#11 Post by kv » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:25 pm

troy and Eric...fuck now I wanna hear some :noclue:

Noonesshocking

#12 Post by Noonesshocking » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:30 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:24 pm
Noonesshocking wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:17 pm
And yet we've predicted this for how long now? They've known. They've known for weeks, minimum. You don't add a guitar player that's never been in your band right before a tour.

I'd be pretty annoyed but it was obviously coming.

Also, why Troy? Because he vaguely resembles Navarro? Pete would have at least been something fans could get behind. Troy is a fine player, but the selection feels very suspect to me.

It makes me think of people in the crowd at Jubilee thinking Martyn was Eric.
Oh yeah I mean it seems to me like it was a contingency until rehearsals absolutely had to start.

I agree it’s an odd choice. I’m a fan of Troy but I’ve only ever known him as a supporting sideman. I’ve never seen him play in the context of being the only guitar player. I have a feeling he hasn’t had enough time to learn the parts and some of the parts will be off. Like with Stop - everyone plays that wrong on YouTube.

esqfool

#13 Post by esqfool » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:31 pm

So while bummed, I get it, thats fine for Dave to rest up and try to recover. I don't like them hiding the fact for a long time though. Of course I'd have probably still gone, but was all like man, what if we get JA 1.0 and a new song or two? Yes I'm being selfish, but it was super close to actually happening. Now we wait... I'd have rathered Pete or another guitar player who was a super fan, maybe Troy is but who knows.

Artemis

#14 Post by Artemis » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:31 pm

Troy Van Leeuwen is an interesting and surprising choice to replace Dave for the tour.

Three days notice that Dave won't be part of the tour is kind of shitty. I'm sure many fans who'll be going to the shows will be disappointed.

Diabolik

#15 Post by Diabolik » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:40 pm

Fucking wild.

We’ve been saying this since what…pre Eric?

Since P4P at that Florida show?

One one hand —it’s crazy. Definitely no new songs on this tour. On the other it’s just weird and interesting.

I wonder how long they knew…I wonder if Eric being back and agreeing to tour was a condition of being able to call the performing band Jane’s Addiction.

Slightly shocked — but not really.

Long covid definitely seems suspect — I just hope Dave gets better or cleans up or whatever.

Huge Bunmer

bman

#16 Post by bman » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:40 pm

Lame. Dave is obviously depressed and just doesn't want to tour.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#17 Post by Hokahey » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:40 pm

So when are they going to talk about why Eric came back?

This band just absolutely refuses to ever get anything right.

bman

#18 Post by bman » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:46 pm

So who is this guitarist? Any good? Sorry, but definitely not a JA tour without Dave on board. I hope he gets well. But...he simply just doesn't want to tour. This sucks..the funny thing is 80% of the peeps here called it!

jptm

#19 Post by jptm » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:46 pm

Straight up; this isn't Jane's.
But; fuck, I just bought tickets tonight for Montreal $75; it will be interesting either way.

but it aint janes without Dave. Could've had more credibility with Pete, but I think the SP camp didn't want to fuck up the fact that it was JA... who the fuck knows?

All around this is typical Jane's fuckery.
I think Taylor's OD led to a flurry/crazy array of emotions and this is the outcome.

:sad:

Tyler Durden

#20 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:47 pm

I still don’t buy the long Covid story. I think Dave has something much more serious going on.

Diabolik

#21 Post by Diabolik » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:48 pm

Eric coming back just when Dave is seemingly leaving it is weird and suspect.

If Dave is talking “he might be able to watch the band perform”— he sounds VERY far away from being able to perform and tour.

I was reading that and thought, maybe he’ll show up in LA and play a song. Maybe that happens —but this is all super weird.

With the recording going on I was convinced they would have a single or something….

But they have all been playing it by ear with a vague hope Dave can be a part of the band.

Just so weird!

parklife03

#22 Post by parklife03 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:50 pm

jptm wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:46 pm
I think Taylor's OD led to a flurry/crazy array of emotions and this is the outcome.

:sad:
Don't forget that Jane's canceled the Latin America tour earlier this year (with a three days notice, too) before Taylor's death. In fact, Hawkins died in that tour.

bman

#23 Post by bman » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:51 pm

He's a head case. That's it.

bman

#24 Post by bman » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:03 pm

I'm bummed. This is so lame. Dave and the band should have mentioned this months ago. It should have been switched to P4P. The vibe would still be good. This just feels icky imo. And I guarantee you Navarro knew a couple of months back he had no intentions of playing. And I have Tix for 2 cities!

sinep

#25 Post by sinep » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:04 pm

Wow wild…. This is a rollercoaster.