Rolling Stone Interview- Must Read

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Tyler Durden

Re: Rolling Stone Interview- Must Read

#21 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:18 pm

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#22 Post by Hokahey » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:39 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:30 am

The shit with Cheney is weird. Perry floating the idea Chris and Eric would switch off bass duties with Cheney playing keyboards? And another Nothings Shocking anniversary? What would they include in any box set that isn't already officially out there - Perkin's collected live show VHS bootlegs?
I'm guessing it was an attempt to respect/restore the legacy by bringing Eric back, without hurting a friend. Clunky, but more tactful (I guess?) than what RHCP did with Froosh.

But I guess ultimately it was still the same, and by Eric's demand. I wonder if Cheney/Eric will retain any level of friendship after this. Seems like he's pretty unhappy with Perry from what he's saying.

And I guess Eric finally said I want my band back, am willing to finally compromise what that looks like, and want the money I deserve for what I helped create.

someguy

#23 Post by someguy » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:47 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:39 pm

And I guess Eric finally said I want my band back, am willing to finally compromise what that looks like, and want the money I deserve for what I helped create.
This 100%. Amazing to think about considering for the last 25 years he was so resistant to doing anything, saying it was a vibe and a time

Makes me think he wanted to do stuff like relapse all along but the personal issues were too much

Tyler Durden

#24 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:06 pm

Chaney can get fucked. He had zero to do with the original band. And even his involvement in the reunion albums seems scant at best.

dannyboy

#25 Post by dannyboy » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:40 pm

I really like Chris. He's a great musician. But your comment is kinda fair. He did do a pretty bass part on Price I pay though. I don't think it's really his fault that he didn't get much of a chance to contribute. Although there was Panic Channel I suppose, but I just can't listen to it.

Tyler Durden

#26 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:43 pm

dannyboy wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:40 pm
I really like Chris. He's a great musician. But your comment is kinda fair. He did do a pretty bass part on Price I pay though. I don't think it's really his fault that he didn't get much of a chance to contribute. Although there was Panic Channel I suppose, but I just can't listen to it.
It would make no sense to give him a chance. Eric was an integral part of the band’s original sound, direction, etc. There would little point trying to “replace” Eric in the creative process. Without all original members in the studio, it’s just not Jane’s.

someguy

#27 Post by someguy » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:45 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:06 pm
Chaney can get fucked. He had zero to do with the original band. And even his involvement in the reunion albums seems scant at best.
He’s on the cover of Strays and helped write a few songs on that record. I think he’s only on one full song on TGEA. I always thought it was a little disrespectful they went with Duff before him in 2010 considering he was a good soldier and I’m sure he was offended by that.

Like I said he’s the Josh Freese of bass and he still gets do interesting high profile work. He could be in a worse situation but a little surprised things have become that bad with Perry. He did kind Heaven just a few years ago

REA

#28 Post by REA » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:22 pm

Chris is really a likable session/live guy,
Look at who he has worked for and with. It's impressive
but theres nothing about him that's memorable . That's what makes him vegetable lasagna and always replaceable .

He was always on borrowed time if Eric wanted back in or a rock star bassist came along

Tyler Durden

#29 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:34 pm

I’m glad the relationship with Chaney is strained. He had the charisma and stage presence of plain yogurt or beige pants. He brought next to nothing interesting to the table. He’s a session guy who can replicate studio recordings in a live setting. BFD. Martyn was the best “replacement” for Eric, given who has been in the band.

creep
Site Admin

#30 Post by creep » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:41 pm

I feel like I am the keeper of the flame for the hardcore fan. I don’t know how it’s going to be for those folks, because it’s going to be different. But I do think they’ll be happy that I’m back
pretty much

it will be interesting to see how much etty is involved this time around. if she has to dance so be it i guess but keep the microphone out of her hands please.

jptm

#31 Post by jptm » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:58 pm

creep wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:41 pm
I feel like I am the keeper of the flame for the hardcore fan. I don’t know how it’s going to be for those folks, because it’s going to be different. But I do think they’ll be happy that I’m back
pretty much

it will be interesting to see how much etty is involved this time around. if she has to dance so be it i guess but keep the microphone out of her hands please.
In the RS article; Eric mentions he didn't like the dancers ;), so I think this will be less theatrical; & without Dave the suspension stuff is out, too. I don't think we'll hear any 'new' songs, but there will definitely be 'new' takes on classic Jane's--obv. there won't be anything after Ritual played...
I have to admit; after hearing the Perry interview & the RS article, I'm excited to be able to see something different. Perry talked about & pushed the Kinks sound from the late 60's when dealing with Troy--I also liked what Stephen says about it just being him, Perry & Eric coming up with new stuff again; like in the beginning.

But, the whole Taylor/Foos/Chaney/Dave & Perry blackballed thing still has me wondering what is really up with Dave. I hope he gets better; whatever it really is.

This is the most active this place has been in ages; good to see!! :drink:

REA

#32 Post by REA » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:03 pm

Is Eric using the bass from the 80s/90s with a HOWL sticker on it ?

Tyler Durden

#33 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:03 pm

This tour will still be theatrical. Just not in the Perry&Etty way. Linda Strawberry is the art director/designer for this tour.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#34 Post by Hokahey » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:35 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:34 pm
Martyn was the best “replacement” for Eric, given who has been in the band.
He was a great fit. He cared deeply about the band and Eric's parts being given incredible respect.

Hype

#35 Post by Hype » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:50 pm

REA wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:03 pm
You tell me. :wiggle:

Stickyfingers

#36 Post by Stickyfingers » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:04 pm

REA wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:03 pm
:nod:

https://variety.com/2022/music/news/jan ... 235389723/
The sessions, Farrell says, “actually exceeded expectations. We wrote three songs – one is very, very raw, but there’s two in particular that I love. One’s called ‘True Love,’ and the other one’s called ‘The Imminent Redemption.’ ”
:eyes:

Tyler Durden

#37 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:46 pm

One’s called ‘True Love,’ and the other one’s called ‘The Imminent Redemption.’ ”
Gee, which two people could these two songs possibly be about, respectively?

Surely, “The Imminent Redemption” couldn’t possibly be a sequel to “End to the Lies”. :lol:

esqfool

#38 Post by esqfool » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:56 pm

So I was pretty bummed yesterday, but back to excited today after reading that article. Honestly at this point, maybe hearing a slightly different take on some of the JA songs might not be a bad thing. Then say Dave gets better, writes new songs, and they come back re-energized. Then they tour the new stuff and Dave is fired up on the old songs again, might be the best thing to happen. I'm probably most excited that its just the 3 of them writing for some reason. Just hashing out grooves and lyrics and letting it flow. I just hope we get to hear it some day whether we all hate it or not, we can at least put the "what if?" to bed.

someguy

#39 Post by someguy » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:02 pm

esqfool wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:56 pm
I just hope we get to hear it some day whether we all hate it or not, we can at least put the "what if?" to bed.
This. We were so close last time around to hearing new stuff. So surreal this is happening. Never thought I’d be this excited again

I can’t believe we have song titles already. This article also makes me think they are going to do a full record. If it’s going so well they definitely are not just going to cap it off with 4 songs

I’m going to try to find the drum clinic video

Stickyfingers

#41 Post by Stickyfingers » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:57 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:46 pm
One’s called ‘True Love,’ and the other one’s called ‘The Imminent Redemption.’ ”
Gee, which two people could these two songs possibly be about, respectively?

Surely, “The Imminent Redemption” couldn’t possibly be a sequel to “End to the Lies”. :lol:

How many JA songs are about Eric? I lost count.

esqfool

#42 Post by esqfool » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:05 am

Maybe they're both about Eric :lol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#43 Post by Hokahey » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:51 am

So Dave has a specific date in mind to possibly still join the tour, and some cities will feature other special guests on guitar. Interesting.

I wonder if Billy will join them for some more Zeppelin.

Diabolik

#44 Post by Diabolik » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:10 am

Interesting about guest guitarists…

I’m going to MSG so that’s a good possibility for a cool moment

Any ideas who may show up for a song during your?

Some guesses —

Morello
Frusciante
Slash
Pete

Tyler Durden

#45 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:58 am

Special guests on guitar? I don’t remember reading that; perhaps I skimmed over it. :noclue: