Official Spirits On Fire tour thread

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
autumnan

Re: Official Dallas/first night of Spirits On Fire tour thread

#141 Post by autumnan » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:12 am

Hokahey wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:34 am
Troy has a very Chris Chaney like effect on the band
I was thinking just the opposite, the clips I saw Troy was moving around a lot, interacting with Perkins, pulling some shapes :) I wouldn't want a note for note replica of Dave's parts from a stand in guitarist, I want him to bring some of his own artistry which I certainly hear in the FX and textures.

As for other guest guitarists, bringing on Nels Cline would be exciting!!!

Hokahey
Site Admin

#142 Post by Hokahey » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:53 am

autumnan wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:12 am
Hokahey wrote:
I was thinking just the opposite, the clips I saw Troy was moving around a lot, interacting with Perkins, pulling some shapes :) I wouldn't want a note for note replica of Dave's parts from a stand in guitarist, I want him to bring some of his own artistry which I certainly hear in the FX and textures.

Maybe I haven't watched enough. Looked stiff and sounds generic from what I've seen. Blending in with the stage.

CaseyContrarian

#143 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:21 am

autumnan wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:12 am
Hokahey wrote:

Yes he would!

CaseyContrarian

#144 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:23 am

Good sound and close up video on this “Three Days” from Houston.

https://youtu.be/vwtztcgCrr8

CaseyContrarian

#145 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:31 am

It’s like 1971 Jimmy Page in the band. Which you’d think I’d like more, lol.

CaseyContrarian

#146 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:36 am

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:23 am
Good sound and close up video on this “Three Days” from Houston.

https://youtu.be/vwtztcgCrr8
Not only am I replying to myself, I’m liking it a lot more thinking of it this way. Dammit.

parklife03

Re: Official Spirits On Fire tour thread

#147 Post by parklife03 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:24 pm

As I said, I actually like it. I don't expect a 100% copy of Dave or anyone - that would be impossible. I think that some solos (like the "Three Days" one) are "signature", and you have to play at least the 90% of it as they were recorded.
Any substitute musician needs a couple of dates before settling in. I saw the first shows of the "new" lineup of Ghost in 2017 in Europe, and they were really sloppy at the beginning. Everything went so much better in the upcoming ones :). Same happened with other bands.
Also, Troy Van Leeuwen is one of my fav guitar players from the late 90s/early 2000s (and on). Give him a few dates, he's proving that he's capable of doing the good solos and adding textures, too :tiphat:.

CaseyContrarian

#148 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:04 pm

parklife03 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:24 pm
As I said, I actually like it. I don't expect a 100% copy of Dave or anyone - that would be impossible. I think that some solos (like the "Three Days" one) are "signature", and you have to play at least the 90% of it as they were recorded.
Any substitute musician needs a couple of dates before settling in. I saw the first shows of the "new" lineup of Ghost in 2017 in Europe, and they were really sloppy at the beginning. Everything went so much better in the upcoming ones :). Same happened with other bands.
Also, Troy Van Leeuwen is one of my fav guitar players from the late 90s/early 2000s (and on). Give him a few dates, he's proving that he's capable of doing the good solos and adding textures, too :tiphat:.
TVL doesn’t seem to be influenced by Jerry Garcia, so alternating between E Mixolydian and E minor pentatonic eludes him. If he understood that, he could improvise whatever he wanted on the Three Days solo and it would sound more in keeping with the piece.

CaseyContrarian

#149 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:08 pm

Same thing with those little clean licks in the quiet interim of Ocean Size. TVL plays natural minor (like Jimmy Page might); Dave plays mixolydian (like Garcia).

Little things like that matter to the character of the song because they are important tonal color.

I do like some of Troy’s noise bits.

Hype

#150 Post by Hype » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:53 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:08 pm
Same thing with those little clean licks in the quiet interim of Ocean Size. TVL plays natural minor (like Jimmy Page might); Dave plays mixolydian (like Garcia).

Little things like that matter to the character of the song because they are important tonal color.

I do like some of Troy’s noise bits.
This is the kind of analysis that musicians who know theory like to give, but it sure would make for boring music if artists actually followed it. I think it can be interesting to explore different sounds, even when theory says it shouldn't work. Maybe it doesn't "work". At least it's different.

CaseyContrarian

#151 Post by CaseyContrarian » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:28 am

No, it’s all feel, actually. Artists “follow it.” It doesn’t make for “boring music.” Mixolyidian mode is literally why the solo in Three Days sounds the way it sounds. I’m simply explaining it in accurate terms that non-musicians should also be able to follow.

And yes, it is different.

Thanks for playing.

Hype

#152 Post by Hype » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:25 am

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:28 am
No, it’s all feel, actually. Artists “follow it.” It doesn’t make for “boring music.” Mixolyidian mode is literally why the solo in Three Days sounds the way it sounds. I’m simply explaining it in accurate terms that non-musicians should also be able to follow.

Thanks for playing.
I'm only suggesting that the solo doesn't have to sound the way Dave plays it.

CaseyContrarian

#153 Post by CaseyContrarian » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:00 am

Hype wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:25 am
CaseyContrarian wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:28 am

Thanks for playing.
I'm only suggesting that the solo doesn't have to sound the way Dave plays it.
I totally agree. My point is, if he wanted to tap into the tonal character and spirit of the song, he could literally play none of Dave’s licks and improvise in the mode. That’s theory on one level, but a guitarist of TVL’s rank should be able to do it without thinking about it. The fact that he doesn’t shows me that his guitar influences are a bit different than Dave’s.

Like I’ve said, I think using the tonal (in this case, modal) character of the original guitar parts as a leaping off point would be just fine. There’s “different” and then there’s not representing the songs in their “true nature,” lol.

I like the energy, though. Exciting.

trevor ayer

#154 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:49 am

finally listened to most of the whole show and the thing with troy is .. he is either very sloppy .. perhaps because of his rediculous jumping around like an idiot .. or he is trying to jazz it up with some major notes in what is primarily a minor key soloing style by dave .. thus it sounds really off when he does .. troy does not have the chops to handle some of daves realy smooth metal shit solos nor the heavy riffage under songs like ANR .. to be fair neither do I but that is what makes dave a cut above despite 2 shitty janes records and that panic trash ..troy reminds me of kim shattuck when she sat in for pixies and was jumping around so much they fired her .. troy needs to calm down and learn the guitar parts and play them right .. old perry an eric creaking along and troy be jumping off the walls like a kangaroo .. a bit silly .. my pick .. if he were a janes fan .. would be wolfgang van halen to fill in .. even with his less polished style (compared to eddie) he can really rip it up .. was impressed with hot for teacher at the tribute .. and his i dont give a fuck style .. he could easily handle daves runs and his star power compared to troy would give janes a cool edge .. anywho .. hope troy improves as the tour progresses .. jane says with eric on guit was real nice .. sounded like when dave would play keyboard on i would for you with troy doing his 3 note droning .. perry is really really trying to hit those old notes .. not sure he can make it last this whole tour .. in fact i am sure he cant .. but maybe he finally decided to take care of his voice a bit better .. overall more enjoyable than ANY show with chaney but those ho ass dancers really gotta get off the fuckin stage already jesus ..

Diabolik

#155 Post by Diabolik » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:19 pm

Troy jumping and round is something I’d didn’t take into account and I actually do think it’s distracting and adding that sloppiness

Like how did they pick this guy?

Is it last guy standing in LA?

Wolfgang is an inspired choice, probably too good for the band actually. But he’d have been dope.

If you weren’t gonna mimic Dave…go weird. I’m kinda surprised it wasn’t Morello. That would have been wacky but fun

Juan%

#156 Post by Juan% » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:46 pm

TVL is amazing. Not like Dave, no, that’s true, and super left field. But I’m digging it. It sounds scrappy, and even a little hungry again, perhaps I imagine like seeing them, prior to Dave/Perk joining? I know I will never know that, but that’s how I am looking at it. Not having Dave there is not ideal, but EA is there, and they sound kind of haphazard again, dare I say vital, given the situation. I just hope that they sound as decent by the time they get to SF.

Tom Morello would have been awful! One of the most overrated players ever, whacky I guess, but….😂

CaseyContrarian

#157 Post by CaseyContrarian » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:26 pm

Diabolik wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:19 pm
Troy jumping and round is something I’d didn’t take into account and I actually do think it’s distracting and adding that sloppiness

Like how did they pick this guy?

Is it last guy standing in LA?

Wolfgang is an inspired choice, probably too good for the band actually. But he’d have been dope.

If you weren’t gonna mimic Dave…go weird. I’m kinda surprised it wasn’t Morello. That would have been wacky but fun
The decision was purely sartorial. Perry likes how he looks in a suit with that streak of white in his hair. You know I’m right. :cool:

jptm

#158 Post by jptm » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:44 pm

thoreau

#159 Post by thoreau » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:20 am

jptm wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:44 pm
3rd stop; Austin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgo6LjlVc3Q
Looks like Perry quickly got rid of the grey

CaseyContrarian

#160 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:25 am

Here’s some good audio for the Dallas show. They sound great.

https://youtu.be/F-0HEh9JG8s

CaseyContrarian

#161 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:27 am

Troy is finding his groove.

Hype

#162 Post by Hype » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:07 am

Perry's voice on Up The Beach is perfect.

Bandit72

#163 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:25 am

Hype wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:07 am
100%

Bandit72

#164 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:30 am

There's probably a handful of Jane's fans in that morgue, no one's moving. Such a shame.

Hype

#165 Post by Hype » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:35 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:25 am
Hype wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:07 am
100%
By the time he gets to Jane Says, it's shot, with moments of good notes. And I really dislike what they're doing to that song. It sounds like a weird karaoke version.