Official Spirits On Fire tour thread

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
CaseyContrarian

Re: Official Dallas/first night of Spirits On Fire tour thread

#101 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:56 am

Hype wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:17 am
I like the slight differences in the 3Days solo. They thwart expectation, sometimes in interesting ways, and make me perk up when it sounds like the original again. They need to turn EA up in the mix though.

I think that rendition of Jane Says is more off than the other two songs. It's way, way, too slow.

Just listened to the Pumpkins' Cherub Rock from their set... it's in a totally different league. Holy shit.
Different league of crap? I just watched two different videos of Cherub from last night and both sounded awful, which is to say, like SP live. ;-)

bman

#102 Post by bman » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:33 pm

Whores. Sounds good. Lame crowd. Don't need the dancers during whores. They should only be there for Ted and Three days imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFngWsQ8vz0

Pandemonium

#104 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:37 pm

For me, the biggest negative remains the stupid stripper shit on playground monkey bars routine. It's completely distracting and looks made up on the spot. There's one brief clip where it appears one blonde chick banged into the other one right in the face knocking her backwards while swinging upside down. It's honestly so far removed from the '97 tour or even 2001 where at least they were well integrated with Perry and the band and actually added to the visual experience. Etty's rocking horse thing during Ted is the warm brown icing on the cake. At least there's no suspension girls - that shit is long past it's expiration date.

Musically, the band sounds better then I expected, especially for a 1st show. Eric adds so much muscle to the bottom end that anchors whatever differences or arguable deficiencies in Van Leeuwen's guitar playing. ANR sounded great, 3 Days needs work to tighten up the guitar parts. The arrangement of Janes Says sucks. Another plus is no fucking pew-pew keyboards. Perry sounded good, not great. And thank God they aren't playing a whole step down.

Finally, shake up to Goddamned setlist. Even within the restrictions of playing the 1st 3 albums this would be at least interesting:

Chip Away
Ocean Size
Mountain Song
Ain't No Right
Stop
Whores
1%
Kettle Whistle
Ted
Three Days
Classic Girl
Jane Says
Would For You

Hype

#105 Post by Hype » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:45 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:56 am
Hype wrote:
I like the slight differences in the 3Days solo. They thwart expectation, sometimes in interesting ways, and make me perk up when it sounds like the original again. They need to turn EA up in the mix though.

I think that rendition of Jane Says is more off than the other two songs. It's way, way, too slow.

Just listened to the Pumpkins' Cherub Rock from their set... it's in a totally different league. Holy shit.
Different league of crap? I just watched two different videos of Cherub from last night and both sounded awful, which is to say, like SP live. ;-)
:lol: You do resemble your username, after all.

CaseyContrarian

#106 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:51 pm

Hype wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:45 pm
CaseyContrarian wrote:
Hype wrote:

It has been noted! Seriously, though, you thought the Cherub Rock was better than the Jane’s clips we’ve seen? No shame, everyone perceives things differently. Lord knows I’ve gone back and forth on this JA “reunion” and it’s only night one of the tour, lol.

CaseyContrarian

#107 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:54 pm

Wow, one thing TVL nails is the noise solo on Mountain. It helps that it doesn’t need to be exact, but he totally gets the alt-avant-psych vibe of it.

https://youtu.be/OrwcOwuC2io

Hokahey
Site Admin

#108 Post by Hokahey » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:56 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Hype wrote:

This debate made me go find videos, and you're wrong. :wink:

That song is a treasure from my early teens, and I don't give two shits about modern Pumpkins. But I can listen to that and feel very much like I'm hearing vintage Pumpkins.

CaseyContrarian

#109 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:59 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:56 pm
CaseyContrarian wrote:
Hype wrote:

That song is a treasure from my early teens, and I don't give two shits about modern Pumpkins. But I can listen to that and feel very much like I'm hearing vintage Pumpkins.
This is because they have great consistency in their suckiness live. :wink: It’s cool—our ears and hearts fill in a lot of blanks. Glad it felt good.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#110 Post by Hokahey » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:03 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:59 pm
Hokahey wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:56 pm
CaseyContrarian wrote:
Hype wrote:

This is because they have great consistency in their suckiness live. :wink: It’s cool—our ears and hearts fill in a lot of blanks. Glad it felt good.
:thumb: :heart:

someguy

#111 Post by someguy » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:23 pm

I think the set list is going to remain the same with all the production/Troy/being an opening band

I might hold off on going to this and bet on a tour where they play stuff like would for you and of course

I saw Troy with the Songs For the Deaf QOTSA lineup, which to me is basically on par with Janes 1.0 so the novelty of seeing Janes with him isnt enough to make me really want to go

kv

#112 Post by kv » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:27 pm

someguy wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:23 pm
I saw Troy with the Songs For the Deaf QOTSA lineup, which to me is basically on par with Janes 1.0 so the novelty of seeing Janes with him isnt enough to make me really want to go
:hehe: same!

part of me was impressed they choose him to fill

Hype

#113 Post by Hype » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:41 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:51 pm
Hype wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:
Hype wrote:

It has been noted! Seriously, though, you thought the Cherub Rock was better than the Jane’s clips we’ve seen? No shame, everyone perceives things differently. Lord knows I’ve gone back and forth on this JA “reunion” and it’s only night one of the tour, lol.
I guess we'll see. I left halfway through the last time I saw the Pumpkins (back in 2007). I know exactly how bad their live shows can be. At this point, it's just what I happen to enjoy more, and I don't enjoy seeing things I love most done poorly, so weak JA is worse than weak Pumpkins. I can enjoy weak Pumpkins more because I never put as much of my musical energy into enjoying them. :noclue:

Diabolik

#114 Post by Diabolik » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:53 pm

These new vids are helpful in forming a better idea as to what’s happening.

I think there’s way more good than bad happening.

But Jesus the dancers/strippers are awful. I’m not even against the idea of the band having girl in cages or swinging around but this version of it is … not good.

It doesn’t feel dangerous or sexy or anything remotely like that. It drags what could be a fun rock show into camp territory and that’s never good.

There are moments that are dangerously close to Spinal Tap cocoon moments

Wish they had a cleaner more minimal presentation with stranger and more obscure imagery —

Artemis

#115 Post by Artemis » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:58 pm

Diabolik wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:53 pm
These new vids are helpful in forming a better idea as to what’s happening.

I think there’s way more good than bad happening.

But Jesus the dancers/strippers are awful. I’m not even against the idea of the band having girl in cages or swinging around but this version of it is … not good.

It doesn’t feel dangerous or sexy or anything remotely like that. It drags what could be a fun rock show into camp territory and that’s never good.

There are moments that are dangerously close to Spinal Tap cocoon moments

Wish they had a cleaner more minimal presentation with stranger and more obscure imagery —
Yes, would be better than Etty's hoo ha, front and centre. :jasper:

autumnan

#116 Post by autumnan » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:59 pm

Interesting, they got a pretty enthusiastic reception from the crowd at the end (with Stop as the closer), so perhaps they won them over? Also I tend to forget that, although I'm pushing 50 and still think I would jump around to my favourite band, maybe the burger stall was super busy before they played.

Smashing Pumpkins were a consolation prize for me after Jane's split. Enthusiastically received for definite, I treasure my copies of Gish, Pisces Iscariot and Siamese Dream. However, being a JA fan doesn't make me a huge Bauhaus or Joy Division fan and it's Smashing Pumpkins' gig.

Perry seems in a good place, wishing people well, and everyone looks to be in a good mood for the curtain call. Lots of good things to build on here. My school friend called at the weekend and we made a deal, if they come to the UK next year, we'll be there.

https://youtu.be/ASXnK9CQVeI

autumnan

#117 Post by autumnan » Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:42 pm

Just watched the Jane Says performance mentioned earlier, I've gotta say I really like the guitar atmospherics, and Perry is singing it with soul, like he cares about the subject of the song. Really nice version, with some goosebump moments.

CaseyContrarian

#118 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:58 pm

Hype wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:41 pm
CaseyContrarian wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:51 pm
Hype wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:
Hype wrote:

I guess we'll see. I left halfway through the last time I saw the Pumpkins (back in 2007). I know exactly how bad their live shows can be. At this point, it's just what I happen to enjoy more, and I don't enjoy seeing things I love most done poorly, so weak JA is worse than weak Pumpkins. I can enjoy weak Pumpkins more because I never put as much of my musical energy into enjoying them. :noclue:
That makes all the sense in the world. I find it odd and amusing how much emotional investment I’m still burning off with this band. I thought 2008-2009 plus TGEA plus Duff woulda permanently fried those receptors. And yet…

elbuitre

#119 Post by elbuitre » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:18 pm

Perry and the dancers look and behave like they’re in a completely different group to the rest of the band.

You have to assume Eric is still getting the douche chills but isn’t fighting it anymore.

Artemis

#120 Post by Artemis » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:21 pm

autumnan wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:42 pm
Just watched the Jane Says performance mentioned earlier, I've gotta say I really like the guitar atmospherics, and Perry is singing it with soul, like he cares about the subject of the song. Really nice version, with some goosebump moments.
I enjoyed this performance too. I thought Perry's voice sounded great!

SR

#121 Post by SR » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:36 pm

Rhythm section showed up with punch and fury. For me, the real takeaway is EA appears to be truly invested...stage presence and these facsimiles here of what he wrote, just great. The question remains will DN be? This was a major commitment made some time ago and the 11th hour bs to allow for the graffiti tour could've waited. Fuck, he could have taken that on the road and it would have been more interesting, truer to ver.1, and consequential. All said with the hope he isn't gravely ill. The guy who made a formal introduction to me and DN at the Westwood apt died last year. We are at that age. I am not looking to apply a purity test to this guitarist; I think he did a capable job for the most part to maintain some of the danger and imperfections that made them so great. I kinda dig the whole pixie dust spreading stage presence he has too.

CaseyContrarian

#122 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:05 pm

Eric is bringing so much nutsack to the situation they’re almost getting away with it. Jane’s needs this earth element.
Last edited by CaseyContrarian on Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SR

#123 Post by SR » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:15 pm

What are you havin? Mescal? On me. :cheers:

Noonesshocking

#124 Post by Noonesshocking » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:25 pm

I think they sound cool. There are details in the guitar parts that are missing here and there but it has a vibe.

One pet peeve - EVERYONE plays the “chorus” in up the beach wrong. People play one note when you’re supposed to let the d and a strings ring over them too.

S&M

#125 Post by S&M » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:46 pm

I haven’t watched many clips .. But one thing I noticed is removing Dave really exposed how important Eric’s bottom end groove, swing & stomp were super missing!!..I mean we all noticed it over the years?. But this nakedness really makes it apparent and obvious he was the missing spice!! ..The energy is definitely better!! ..Now if we get Dave back soon?.. They can start cooking with gas for one last blast!!! 🔥♥️☮️♥️