Official Spirits On Fire tour thread

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Bandit72

Re: Official Spirits On Fire tour thread

#181 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:43 am

Yeh I was at the NINJA Manchester gig. Jane's were first.

someguy

#182 Post by someguy » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:29 am

I just came across this picture- any idea who the guy is on the right?
F7B2CDEA-C2E8-4466-84E8-94F6C29DC42B.jpeg
F7B2CDEA-C2E8-4466-84E8-94F6C29DC42B.jpeg (184.63 KiB) Viewed 3475 times

Hokahey
Site Admin

#183 Post by Hokahey » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:29 pm

someguy wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:29 am

Was that from rehearsals? Maybe a tech?

thoreau

#184 Post by thoreau » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:06 pm

Tampa 10/07/2022 setlist

Up the Beach
Whores
1%
ANR
Three Days
Jane Says
BCS
Mt. Song
Ted
Stop

Hokahey
Site Admin

#185 Post by Hokahey » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:00 pm

I wonder if they'll mix it up at any point. Obviously it's early, so hopefully they're just getting their legs underneath them.

Or, maybe they'll do a smaller club tour next summer with Dave and finally give the fans a treat with the set lists.

thoreau

#186 Post by thoreau » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:10 am

Hokahey wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:00 pm
I wonder if they'll mix it up at any point. Obviously it's early, so hopefully they're just getting their legs underneath them.

Or, maybe they'll do a smaller club tour next summer with Dave and finally give the fans a treat with the set lists.
I'm still assuming it being because it's so early in the tour. At the end of last night's set, Troy slung his guitar back on and was asking to play more. Even though it didn't happen, that could be a promising sign that they've got more material under their belts (but it could've just been Ocean Size too).

Sorry I didn't post anything additional to the setlist last night. With everything that's happened with Hurricane Ian in the last week, there were barely any hotel accomodations in Tampa (and what is available is insanely priced out of my pocket), so my wife and I did the 5 hour drive back after the show.

Thoughts: I did not take a ton of photos or videos, wanting to take in the show but also knowing videos will pop up considering the amount of people recording. Now, I did not go to this show expecting anything more than being happy to see Eric back in the fold. But that isn't what I left with.

- This is the most invigorated I've seen the band in 20 years of shows I've attended. While a lot of this could be chalked up to Troy being there which is forcing the rest to approach things from a different angle, I'm there regardless. I didn't see a paint by numbers approach. I instead saw 4 guys who were REALLY into what they were doing, and 3 of those guys looked like they were purely enjoying each other again - Eric and Perk locked in and smiling at each other, Perry and Eric smiling and joking with each other during and in between songs (something I never saw happen during the few NINJA shows I attended).

- As we all know, it is undeniable what Eric brings to this band. In stark contrast to Chaney's stationary albeit meticulous playing, Eric's rhythmic stomping and dancing while he's playing is truly mesmerizing. You don't just hear Eric and Perk locking in with each other, you feel each thunderous note. Truly worth seeing the show for that alone.

- Overall, I don't think I've heard Perry sound this good throughout an entire set in over a decade. 63 years old withstanding, he never seemed to be dialing it back.

- If you are going to the show expecting to hear Dave's sound, you're going to be disappointed. If you come in knowing it'll be a little different, I think you'll enjoy what Troy is providing. And I sincerely feel like the guys are benefitting from it at the moment, making the setlist and approach feel very fresh. Granted, I know all of this is coming from someone who is already a fan of Troy and has seen him perform with APC and Queens a ton of times since 2000.

- Etty and the two dancers did not really distract this go round. I imagine some of this has to be due to Eric's input, but they are back to being more an accompanying piece onstage. They mostly stuck to the back scaffold and side frames, and were only out for what I think I remember was 4 songs (Whores, Three Days, Ted). The other plus was no background vocals from them.

- Perry made what had to be a ten year old kid's night who was up at front with their mom, bantering back and forth in between a bunch of the songs.

- Farrell, Perry's brother, was at the show.

- As much as I really want to see Dave return, I would really enjoy seeing this lineup again. I think we all need to remember that we are much more pessimistic and critical than the regular average fan. We know the catalog note for note, and as evidenced the last few months, the thought of the original 4 providing that is still very enticing and exciting no matter how jaded we may be :lol: . From what I witnessed with the average fan last night who know them as the Been Caught Stealing or Jane Says guys (the lady next to me thought Dave had really cleaned up with the suit he was wearing, haha), the reaction was extremely positive and energetic, stark contrast to what I saw with the Dallas show videos. It probably helped that this show had to be close to being sold out too, which I was not expecting.

thoreau

#187 Post by thoreau » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:11 am

someguy wrote:

I honestly think that might be Daniel Ash. 😳

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php/?fbid=431004238381504

SR

#188 Post by SR » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:26 am

Glad you enjoyed it T. I've been lovin the clips I have seen. Songs feel street dirty and raw again.

parklife03

#189 Post by parklife03 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:01 am

thoreau wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:10 am
Hokahey wrote:

I'm still assuming it being because it's so early in the tour. At the end of last night's set, Troy slung his guitar back on and was asking to play more. Even though it didn't happen, that could be a promising sign that they've got more material under their belts (but it could've just been Ocean Size too).

Sorry I didn't post anything additional to the setlist last night. With everything that's happened with Hurricane Ian in the last week, there were barely any hotel accomodations in Tampa (and what is available is insanely priced out of my pocket), so my wife and I did the 5 hour drive back after the show.

Thoughts: I did not take a ton of photos or videos, wanting to take in the show but also knowing videos will pop up considering the amount of people recording. Now, I did not go to this show expecting anything more than being happy to see Eric back in the fold. But that isn't what I left with.

- This is the most invigorated I've seen the band in 20 years of shows I've attended. While a lot of this could be chalked up to Troy being there which is forcing the rest to approach things from a different angle, I'm there regardless. I didn't see a paint by numbers approach. I instead saw 4 guys who were REALLY into what they were doing, and 3 of those guys looked like they were purely enjoying each other again - Eric and Perk locked in and smiling at each other, Perry and Eric smiling and joking with each other during and in between songs (something I never saw happen during the few NINJA shows I attended).

- As we all know, it is undeniable what Eric brings to this band. In stark contrast to Chaney's stationary albeit meticulous playing, Eric's rhythmic stomping and dancing while he's playing is truly mesmerizing. You don't just hear Eric and Perk locking in with each other, you feel each thunderous note. Truly worth seeing the show for that alone.

- Overall, I don't think I've heard Perry sound this good throughout an entire set in over a decade. 63 years old withstanding, he never seemed to be dialing it back.

- If you are going to the show expecting to hear Dave's sound, you're going to be disappointed. If you come in knowing it'll be a little different, I think you'll enjoy what Troy is providing. And I sincerely feel like the guys are benefitting from it at the moment, making the setlist and approach feel very fresh. Granted, I know all of this is coming from someone who is already a fan of Troy and has seen him perform with APC and Queens a ton of times since 2000.

- Etty and the two dancers did not really distract this go round. I imagine some of this has to be due to Eric's input, but they are back to being more an accompanying piece onstage. They mostly stuck to the back scaffold and side frames, and were only out for what I think I remember was 4 songs (Whores, Three Days, Ted). The other plus was no background vocals from them.

- Perry made what had to be a ten year old kid's night who was up at front with their mom, bantering back and forth in between a bunch of the songs.

- As much as I really want to see Dave return, I would really enjoy seeing this lineup again. I think we all need to remember that we are much more pessimistic and critical than the regular average fan. We know the catalog note for note, and as evidenced the last few months, the thought of the original 4 providing that is still very enticing and exciting no matter how jaded we may be :lol: . From what I witnessed with the average fan last night who know them as the Been Caught Stealing or Jane Says guys (the lady next to me thought Dave had really cleaned up with the suit he was wearing, haha), the reaction was extremely positive and energetic, stark contrast to what I saw with the Dallas show videos. It probably helped that this show had to be close to being sold out too, which I was not expecting.
Awesome! :tiphat:

Pandemonium

#190 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:07 am

someguy wrote:

I don't know but I can say it's not Danny Ash. This guy *is* playing 2nd guitar, not bass though and Eric is out of view on the far right. This photo is from the same pre-Dallas rehearsals that the brief "Whores" clip came from.

thoreau

#191 Post by thoreau » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:21 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:07 am
someguy wrote:

I don't know but I can say it's not Danny Ash. This guy *is* playing 2nd guitar, not bass though and Eric is out of view on the far right. This photo is from the same pre-Dallas rehearsals that the brief "Whores" clip came from.
Didn't they say that they were going to have guest guitarists pop in here and there? He could have dropped by their rehearsal space at some point before the tour?

I also thought it might be Daniel Ash because the Telecaster with the Bigsby looks a good bit like one of his.

CaseyContrarian

#192 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:39 am

thoreau wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:10 am
Hokahey wrote:

This all makes me happy. Glad you had a good time. Especially with that drive!

Artemis

#193 Post by Artemis » Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:50 pm

Great review, thoreau! :tiphat:

HiHeHo

#194 Post by HiHeHo » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:09 pm

“You don't just hear Eric and Perk locking in with each other, you feel each thunderous note. Truly worth seeing the show for that alone.”

Exactly. I was at Houston show section A, in front of Eric. Your body feels the bass vibrating through it. Eric brings a deep tone. I was at NINJA in Phoenix. This is different. Eric is stomping around in circles, jumping around, grooving. The guy is way into it. A must see. I hope Perry’s voice holds up.

bman

#195 Post by bman » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:39 am

Thanks for the review! 10/19 and 10/21 coming up for me!

Tyler Durden

#196 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:57 am

I don’t know…I guess I’m in the minority here. When people weren’t excited about this tour, I was. Now that everyone seems to be onboard (despite Dave’s absence), I’m out. I sold my tickets yesterday.

I patiently wait for Dave’s expected (not guaranteed) return and maybe the original lineup doing that supposed Nothing’s Shocking anniversary tour next year.

someguy

#197 Post by someguy » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:09 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:57 am
I don’t know…I guess I’m in the minority here. When people weren’t excited about this tour, I was. Now that everyone seems to be onboard (despite Dave’s absence), I’m out. I sold my tickets yesterday.

I patiently wait for Dave’s expected (not guaranteed) return and maybe the original lineup doing that supposed Nothing’s Shocking anniversary tour next year.
I hope they don’t do the EP and NS tour. I’d rather see them go for it fully. Make a full record, and do a tour with deep cuts like kettle whistle, would for you along with new songs and standards.

My thing is, if you write just 4 songs, why cut off the momentum?

parklife03

#198 Post by parklife03 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:04 am

I want new songs. It was so refreshing to see them live during the TGEA tour and hearing "Underground", "Irresistible Force", "End to The Lies" and "Words Right Out of my Mouth".

I don't care about a NS or Ritual anniversary tour. We already heard those songs in almost every setlist for the past 35 years.

I know I'm asking for too much, but I want a full album with at least 3/4 new songs in the setlist. And a couple from each record, including Strays and TGEA.

Something like this:

01. New song
02. Whores
03. Ocean Size
04. Ted, Just Admit It...
05. New song
06. Just Because
07. Had a Dad
08. My Time (or 1%)
09. Underground
09. Mountain Song
10. New song
11. Three Days
12. Been Caught Stealing

13. New song
14. Jane Says
15. Stop!

Hokahey
Site Admin

#199 Post by Hokahey » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:57 pm

parklife03 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:04 am
I want new songs. It was so refreshing to see them live during the TGEA tour and hearing "Underground", "Irresistible Force", "End to The Lies" and "Words Right Out of my Mouth".

I don't care about a NS or Ritual anniversary tour. We already heard those songs in almost every setlist for the past 35 years.

I know I'm asking for too much, but I want a full album with at least 3/4 new songs in the setlist. And a couple from each record, including Strays and TGEA.

Something like this:

01. New song
02. Whores
03. Ocean Size
05. New song
06. Just Because
07. Had a Dad
08. My Time (or 1%)
09. Underground
09. Mountain Song
10. New song
11. Three Days
12. Been Caught Stealing

13. New song
14. Jane Says
15. Stop!
I think we will get a tour next year with new songs in it, but I'd be shocked if we heard anything from Strays or tgea ever again. Eric's not going to play those songs.

parklife03

#200 Post by parklife03 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:36 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:57 pm
parklife03 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:04 am

Something like this:

01. New song
02. Whores
03. Ocean Size
05. New song
06. Just Because
07. Had a Dad
08. My Time (or 1%)
09. Underground
09. Mountain Song
10. New song
11. Three Days
12. Been Caught Stealing

13. New song
14. Jane Says
15. Stop!
I think we will get a tour next year with new songs in it, but I'd be shocked if we heard anything from Strays or tgea ever again. Eric's not going to play those songs.
But otherwise they'll be stucked with a catalogue of two and a half abums. With Guns (a similar case), even Slash and Duff are playing songs from Chinese Democracy, and Axl is singing one from Velvet Revolver. It would be amazing to hear songs from every era, at least one from Strays and one from TGEA.

SR

#201 Post by SR » Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:14 pm

I'm not even sure anyone would want to revisit TGEA, except maybe EA. He may find something shiny there to hold his attention. Considering where all this started with EA and PF doing the lion's share of writing I am interested wat they came up with when they got together. As good as DN is at colorizing a song, I have never thought much of his songwriting ability. And I think much of his brilliance on NS and RDLH was attributable to innocence, naiveté, and the wellspring of great stuff that comes from no ego nor expectation. And just a a pure power chord homer, I wouldn't mind a couple from Strays as long as it's not titled Just Because.

Artemis

#202 Post by Artemis » Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:00 pm

This pic made me laugh. EA still won't put his arm around Etty.

This was from last night's show.

someguy

#203 Post by someguy » Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:14 pm

SR wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:14 pm
I'm not even sure anyone would want to revisit TGEA, except maybe EA. He may find something shiny there to hold his attention. Considering where all this started with EA and PF doing the lion's share of writing I am interested wat they came up with when they got together. As good as DN is at colorizing a song, I have never thought much of his songwriting ability. And I think much of his brilliance on NS and RDLH was attributable to innocence, naiveté, and the wellspring of great stuff that comes from no ego nor expectation. And just a a pure power chord homer, I wouldn't mind a couple from Strays as long as it's not titled Just Because.
I suspect Eric liked at least some of what he heard on TGEA and that it surpassed his expectations (i.e. it wasn’t I like em’ big). It also wouldn’t surprise me if he wrote some of it and wasn’t credited. I came across an interview where someone flat out asked him and he side stepped the question.

I’m also excited for Dave to add his parts to the new songs because he is an amazing reactor to existing parts in general. In the original band context I think it’s really going to bring out the best in him

jptm

#204 Post by jptm » Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:49 pm

re: Jane Says

Is this the first time ever on tour that they haven't had the steel drums? I feel sorry for Stephen :conf:

However, I do enjoy the guitar aromatics from Troy on this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz5CE5SEIsU

I'm seeing them in Montreal; like others have mentioned; I hope Perry's voice holds up...

parklife03

#205 Post by parklife03 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:53 pm

SR wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:14 pm
I wouldn't mind a couple from Strays as long as it's not titled Just Because.
Yeah. Altough I like it, I put Just Because to show that is "doable" to arrange a 15-song setlist mixing some tunes for the hardcore fans + the hits + new songs.