Jane Says on this tour

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Noonesshocking

Jane Says on this tour

#1 Post by Noonesshocking » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:41 pm

They way Eric sounds when he plays it by himself on acoustic is eerily close to the album version. The dynamics and strumming pattern specifically. Do we think it’s possible he actually recorded a guitar track along with Dave on NS?

thoreau

Re: Jane Says on this tour

#2 Post by thoreau » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:39 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:41 pm
They way Eric sounds when he plays it by himself on acoustic is eerily close to the album version. The dynamics and strumming pattern specifically. Do we think it’s possible he actually recorded a guitar track along with Dave on NS?
It wouldn't surprise me.

Tyler Durden

#3 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:51 pm

He wrote the chord progression, so he likely played guitar on the studio recording.

S&M

#4 Post by S&M » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:05 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:51 pm
He wrote the chord progression, so he likely played guitar on the studio recording.
Did Eric really write those chords? ..Dave always speaks about it like he wrote that himself and was kind of leaning on Over the Hills and Far away from Led Zeppelin simplified?.. Maybe he wasn’t speaking about actually writing it?, . But I thought I read somewhere? And explained it as a simplified version of that Zeppelin riff that just worked for that tune? 🤔

S&M

#5 Post by S&M » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:48 am

And even if Eric came up with the bass riff?.. Which totally makes sense!! There is no way in any universe that Dave Navarro did not play the guitar on that recorded version of that song!! .. As a guitarist there is no way I would allow my bassist play my guitar parts on my first major label release from my band!!! 😂 That’s All Dave on the album including overdubs ..And BTW any intermediate guitarist can play that simple pull off riff and chords easily… Eric is obviously an accomplished musician, and can replicate that easily as many could. ☮️😎

dannyboy

#6 Post by dannyboy » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:10 am

Tyler Durden wrote:

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the riff to Jane says was actually written by one of Eric’s old band mates. I’ve tried googling and can’t find anything though…

S&M

#7 Post by S&M » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:24 am

dannyboy wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:10 am
Tyler Durden wrote:

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the riff to Jane says was actually written by one of Eric’s old band mates. I’ve tried googling and can’t find anything though…
Honestly it’s a great circular riff that Eric is known for…I think everything Eric wrote always turned around on itself and was really groove orientated? That actually is the beauty of what he brought to Jane’s…The very bedrock of everything built on top of that!! And really a big part of what was missing in his absence…And Dave without that foundation to play above has never quite been the same? ..I think his skills are about icing the cake after it’s baked not making the batter?

dannyboy

#8 Post by dannyboy » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:56 am

S&M wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:48 am
And even if Eric came up with the bass riff?.. Which totally makes sense!! There is no way in any universe that Dave Navarro did not play the guitar on that recorded version of that song!! .. As a guitarist there is no way I would allow my bassist play my guitar parts on my first major label release from my band!!! 😂 That’s All Dave on the album including overdubs ..And BTW any intermediate guitarist can play that simple pull off riff and chords easily… Eric is obviously an accomplished musician, and can replicate that easily as many could. ☮️😎
Again, I’m pulling stuff out of my very unreliable memory but I think Dave recorded the bass at the end of Jane Says on NS???

Tyler Durden

#9 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:50 pm

S&M wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:48 am
No one is making the argument that Dave didn’t play on “Jane Says”. People are saying that it is likely that Eric ALSO played guitar on the track.