"Something pretty exciting" on Jane's Facebook page

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Jasper

Re: "Something pretty exciting" on Jane's Facebook page

#201 Post by Jasper » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:22 pm

Just my initial observations...not ratings:

1. Underground
nice breakdown w/ drums. The "hustlers" part a little too thick and straight-ahead rock. Dave's solo sounded pasted in. Verses sound great...especially Perry's vocals, but there's not enough of that in the song.

2. ETTL
I still like it.

3. Curiosity Kills
Decent. Need more listens.

4. I.F.
Wasn't ever a fan, despite it being extremely catchy. The giant chorus is a little more bearable to me in the context of the album.

5. I'll Hit You Back
Possibly another Avery dis song. Pretty good pop song. Interesting short angular Dave solo near the very end.

6. Twisted Tales
Love that this embraces a more modern pop sound. I like it less when it rocks out some. Then it sounds more modern rock, and I don't like modern rock much. I like the way Perry has those high pitched "oooh" and "she" parts, which remind me of Sitek's influence. When there's kind of a breakdown at the end, it gets very post-punky, which is cool.

7. Ultimate Reason
I like how it goes from the verse/intro into the heavier part, and what Perry's vocal does at that point. The chorus is very pop/modern-rock, but it's at least fairly catchy. I like the little break thing that happens in the chorus, where it gets quiet for just a moment. The breakdown is interesting. I like the verse. Ending isn't exciting.

8. Splash a Little Water
Kinda middling. Really great atmospheric instrumental interlude, going into that slow-spacious middle section.

9. Broken People
I liked the samples of this and I continue to like it here. Perry's vocal melody is excellent. The mood is great. Very good moody pop.

10. Words
I love the weirdness of the lyrics, the frenetic rhythm, and I love Perry's vocal approach to the verses, and the post-punky sound of the verses. It goes into more straight rock for the chorus, and the little riff thing between choruses, but such is life. Production could have been a little less thick. I like the chaotic ending part and Perry sounding like an alien having a manic episode.

Sounds like Dave let a lot of Robert Smith and, I dunno, Depeche Mode type of influence into his playing here. I like all of the electronics and synths. At times I though things should breath a lot more and be less built-up, but I know a dense sound is Costey's (sp?) style.

I can't put much of a value judgment on it without more listens, which shouldn't take long because it's really short album.

Warped

#202 Post by Warped » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:25 pm

Thanks for the help Larry but it is still not working here.

cabangbangq

#203 Post by cabangbangq » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:25 pm

I'm on the End to the Lies now and all I gotta say, turn Perry down. Holy shit

Pandemonium

#204 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:27 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:But this is a good place for them to be. It's the right track. These songs have very prominent bass. Maybe not as iconic as the Avery bass lines, but it's up there in the mix.

I think musically, it's excellent, Perry really is the weak link here. The lyrics are mediocre and his melodies are mostly crap. But he had enough moments to hold the album together in places. It's a good start.
Yeah, I give the band big props for going in a new direction and taking some risks with their "sound." But most of my original criticisms stand - that this sounds like a bunch of diverse people who recorded their bits independent of each other and it was all pieced together and smoothed over with a lot of synth and effects like duct tape to hold it all together. I'm pretty good at spotting certain musicians' sound and style in songs, but had I come into this album blind, I'd never guess Stephen (or anyone for that matter) was the drummer. I miss the sound of these guys playing music in the same room.... even when they weren't.

Larry B.

#205 Post by Larry B. » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:28 pm

Warped wrote:Thanks for the help Larry but it is still not working here.
:sad:

Weird... then maybe it's only a non-Europe thing? :noclue:

My iTunes account is for the Chilean store... however, after doing the steps I mentioned, I managed to stream it seamlessly...

Sorry :wavesad:

Warped

#206 Post by Warped » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:38 pm

I am really pissed now. Such a wonderful morning here, with my coffee and a nice breakfast - making myself comfortable for the listen and then....grrrrrrrr :wavesad:

blackcoffee

#207 Post by blackcoffee » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:39 pm

I'm only a few songs into this, but I'm enjoying it. There is a lot more going on here.

Quite special to be 41 in 2011 and enjoying a new release from Jane's, the band i loved in my early 20's.

leviticus

#208 Post by leviticus » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:45 pm

I'm going to bed content. Really enjoyed it.

Deconstruction

#209 Post by Deconstruction » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:49 pm

Underground- 9/10- Great opener, this is the type of thing I want to hear from these guys. My favorite song on the album tied with Words Right Out Of My Mouth.

End to the Lies- 7/10- This is a fun song, it’d be one of the best on the album if the first chorus was stronger.

Curiosity Kills- 5/10- Song has some interesting melodies but the Perry singing ‘curiosity kills’ just isn’t interesting melodically, and he does it far too much.

Irresistible Force- 7/10- Epic chorus but lacking in the verses, kind of the opposite of ETTL. ETTL has great verses okay chorus, IF has a great chorus and okay verses.

I’ll Hit You Back- 8/10- I love how Perry going from singing really dark during the verses into a dreamy catchy pop chorus. Dave’s playing is amazing here, some of my favorite playing from him on the album. This is one of the best tracks.

Twisted Tales- 7/10- Liking this a lot melodically, I think it’ll be a grower. Liking it more on each listen.

Ultimate Reason- 6/10- Really interesting song instrumentally, meanders a bit melodically but the chorus is fine. This probably is the most Strays sounding song on the album, different production wise though. This is one of the Duff songs right?

Splash A Little Water On It- 6/10- Gets boring melodically at points, but I really like Dave’s playing. Could grow on me.

Broken People- 8/10- Strong melody from Perry here, I like the change of pace when Dave comes in with the big riff.

Words Right Out Of My Mouth- 9/10- Really great vibe from Perry, nice catchy hook and frantic verses. This song rocks, like I keep saying it reminds me of Hard Charger with a modern spin. Has a really nice breakdown too before Dave’s solo. This is my favorite song on the album tied with Underground.

Overall right now I give this album 7.5/10, it's a solid album and it surprised me that these guys were able to come out with some inspired stuff, especially after the first song/idea we heard was that lousy Soulmate song last year. Some boring stuff, but some really solid stuff on here.

The standout tracks: Underground, Words Right Out Of My Mouth, I'll Hit You Back, Broken People

Warped

#210 Post by Warped » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:51 pm

Yeaahhhh I got it to work.....:lol: see you later guys.

JOEinPHX

#211 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:24 pm

alright. finally got it recorded, split, and converted to both Apple Lossless AND MP3.

I hope it sounds as good coming out as it did going in.

Deconstruction

#212 Post by Deconstruction » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:28 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:alright. finally got it recorded, split, and converted to both Apple Lossless AND MP3.

I'd like to discuss this "privately." :wink:

JOEinPHX

#213 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:32 pm

Deconstruction wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:alright. finally got it recorded, split, and converted to both Apple Lossless AND MP3.

I'd like to discuss this "privately." :wink:
No way.

That would be WRONG. :wink:

Eric B.

#214 Post by Eric B. » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:56 pm

Dammit, can't get it to work from overhere (Netherlands).....................can anyone help outy? How do I change to the itunes US store?

Warped

#215 Post by Warped » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:59 pm

You have to change the country. Go to the bottom of the page to do that and then go to US. Worked for me here in Germany.

Warped

#216 Post by Warped » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:05 am

Nice avatar Six7Six7 :wink:

Deconstruction

#217 Post by Deconstruction » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:09 am

There, I made a positive avatar too! Welcome back Perry and Dave!

sinep

#218 Post by sinep » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:11 am

better than i thought.

not as good as i hoped.

6.7/10

JOEinPHX

#219 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:13 am

Warped wrote:Nice avatar Six7Six7 :wink:

Thanks! Is it too subtle? :lol:

sinep

#220 Post by sinep » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:14 am

better than i thought.

not as good as i hoped.

6.7/10
nevermind, i just got to "splash a little water on it."

6.3/10

JOEinPHX

#221 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:14 am

sinep wrote:nevermind, i just got to "splash a little water on it."

6.3/10
Man, what is everyone's problem with that song?

It's my favorite one.

Warped

#222 Post by Warped » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:15 am

Yes mine too. :wave:

Deconstruction

#223 Post by Deconstruction » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:17 am

It's funny that Sonny closed Xiola literally a couple of months before we all started to actually talk about Jane's Addiction's MUSIC in a positive light and have something good to talk about rather than just bitch constantly about Perry's capes.

Also Splash A Little Water On It continues to grow on me with each listen...

Warped

#224 Post by Warped » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:19 am

A perfect love making song.

JOEinPHX

#225 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:20 am

Deconstruction wrote:It's funny that Sonny...
Who? :noclue:
closed Xiola...
What? :noclue: