CaseyContrarian

Re: Dave and Eric on new Iggy Pop Record

#26 Post by CaseyContrarian » Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:27 pm

someguy wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:48 am
SR wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:45 am
Wonder if that was the first time Josh had seen Chad since the pink slip
No they have been working together for the past few years. They did the Eddie Vedder record and toured last year (with Chaney), also with Andrew Watt

I’m stunned Andrew Watt has become this influential in the rock world. Not too long ago he was working with Justin Bieber. It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s involved with new Janes somehow
He would be a logical producer for a new Jane’s record. I don’t like the way his records sound at all, though. Brickwalled and digitally botoxed through and through. A shame, because he does seem capable of conjuring long lost essential vibes from the aging rockers he’s tasked with resuscitating. Kind of Rick Rubin 2.0 but only ever coloring inside the lines.

autumnan

#27 Post by autumnan » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:20 pm

Maybe they should talk to Kenny Beats...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... rk%20Bowen.

Tyler Durden

#28 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:44 am

I don’t get rock’s new obsession with Andrew Watt either. He produced the last two Ozzy albums and the forthcoming latest Morrissey album. He’s allegedly slated to produce Pearl Jam’s next studio album. :noclue:

clickie

#29 Post by clickie » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:23 pm

Did you guys see Rick Rubin on 60 Minutes a couple weeks ago. Don't get me wrong I know he's been a part of some classic records, it was funny though seeing him with his bare feet and white beard laying there while him and Anderson Cooper listen to Johnny Cash rendition of Hurt.

Tyler Durden

#30 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:10 am

clickie wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:23 pm
Did you guys see Rick Rubin on 60 Minutes a couple weeks ago. Don't get me wrong I know he's been a part of some classic records, it was funny though seeing him with his bare feet and white beard laying there while him and Anderson Cooper listen to Johnny Cash rendition of Hurt.
Rubin seems more like a music guru/advisor than he does a producer. Many of the records that were said to have been “produced” by him were recorded/engineered by Brendan O’Brien, George Drakoulias, etc. They likely did all of the audible grunt work that everybody loves and attributes as a sound to Rick Rubin. Between studio footage and artist interviews, it appears that there’s been plenty of times when Rubin wasn’t even in the studio on albums that he’s produced.

someguy

#31 Post by someguy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:31 am

I’m convinced the only band he can really “work” with is the chili peppers. He can just lay on the couch and say shit like “yeah, funky”

Every other band he’s worked with talks mad shit about him and it’s always one of two scenarios- he’s half asleep on the couch telling the bass player to record a part again with no explanation as to why, or he just disappears entirely with no explanation as to why.

Tyler Durden

#32 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:15 am

Glenn Danzig says that Rubin was involved in the production of the first two Danzig albums. With the third, Rubin did next to nothing and was never in the studio; yet he got a co-production credit. Glenn Danzig basically produced it with the engineers. On the fourth album, Rick Rubin is credited as “executive producer”. :lol:

someguy

#33 Post by someguy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:13 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:15 am
Glenn Danzig says that Rubin was involved in the production of the first two Danzig albums. With the third, Rubin did next to nothing and was never in the studio; yet he got a co-production credit. Glenn Danzig basically produced it with the engineers. On the fourth album, Rick Rubin is credited as “executive producer”. :lol:
Yeah I think he was an exec producer for deconstruction as well- in that whores book Eric and maybe Dave (I forget) were pretty critical of him

ESY

#34 Post by ESY » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:43 am

It’s all about the beard. If that guy didn’t have one, he would be thrown out as a lazy fucker. But his beard gives him a guru vibe, so he can spout mystic shit, and look like it means something special.

eye

#35 Post by eye » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:43 pm

ESY wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:43 am
It’s all about the beard. If that guy didn’t have one, he would be thrown out as a lazy fucker. But his beard gives him a guru vibe, so he can spout mystic shit, and look like it means something special.
This is great :hehe:

Let's not forget the bare feet syndrome too

I'd say I'd have to agree .. although these days it's almost entirely about having "Produced by Rick Rubin" stamped on the product. It brings a certain amount of heft to the proceedings.