someguy

Alt Press Article on tour/new music

#1 Post by someguy » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:01 pm

https://www.altpress.com/janes-addictio ... interview/

Really doesn’t seem like Dave will be part of this moving forward

ESY

Re: Alt Press Article on tour/new music

#2 Post by ESY » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:13 pm

Honestly, Jane’s recording with Daniel Ash has me more excited than a return to the full line up.

Noonesshocking

#3 Post by Noonesshocking » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:20 pm

Lol no way we get new music with the classic lineup at this point.

So when he said he was gonna work on the recordings while they were touring, I guess that was a lie.

drwintercreeper

#4 Post by drwintercreeper » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:25 pm

Yea it sounds like Dave is out. I dont instagram so I dont know if its just disinterest or what. I wonder if any new pics of him are new or repurposed from before late last year. Either way I hope he is ok. But I love that the chemistry is back between perry, eric and perk.

bman

#5 Post by bman » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:18 pm

They sounded great with Troy. As long as Perry, Eric, and Perk are writing partners then I don't care who plays guitar. This tour proved they dont need Dave. They need Eric! Sucks but oh well. Seems like Dave checked out.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#6 Post by Hokahey » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:30 pm

The article says the injury was to Perry’s back. So that’s new info. And that they already recorded three new songs after the tour and are just awaiting guitar to be added. What a shame that Dave is doing what he’s doing. He can obviously record at least. But yeah, he hasn’t written anything interesting in a very long time. So he’s probably the most replaceable member. And the tour proved that.

Artemis

#7 Post by Artemis » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:49 pm

drwintercreeper wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:25 pm
Yea it sounds like Dave is out. I dont instagram so I dont know if its just disinterest or what. I wonder if any new pics of him are new or repurposed from before late last year. Either way I hope he is ok. But I love that the chemistry is back between perry, eric and perk.
I have an Instagram account just for reading; I never post. Anyway, a couple of days ago Dave posted that he was happy to be part of the new Iggy Pop album coming out. That's the only music related thing he's posted about recently. Lately it seems to be all arty Ouija boards..lol

JOEinPHX

#8 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:34 pm

Did they make some sort of pact in 1997 when they reunited that 1 of the 4 original members always had to be disappointing the fans?

Long Covid certainly didn't stop Dave from recording an entire damn album with NHC.

Fuck it. Let Klinghoffer do it. Pearl Jam isn't touring till the spring anyway so he should have plenty of time to record till then.

Dave can keep his focus on painting "i hAz A sAd" on electrical boxes at 3am.

bman

#9 Post by bman » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:37 pm

lol

someguy

#10 Post by someguy » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:48 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:34 pm
Did they make some sort of pact in 1997 when they reunited that 1 of the 4 original members always had to be disappointing the fans?

Long Covid certainly didn't stop Dave from recording an entire damn album with NHC.

Fuck it. Let Klinghoffer do it. Pearl Jam isn't touring till the spring anyway so he should have plenty of time to record till then.

Dave can keep his focus on painting "i hAz A sAd" on electrical boxes at 3am.
I mean seriously if this is how he wants to act… the train is rolling on. If he actually cared, people would have stronger opinions about his absence on here but his attitude says it all. I guess this is just going to end up how it’s been where it’s just another variation of the band.

Forgot about the Pearl Jam commitments. I wonder who they will get beyond March since both Josh and Troy will be touring

drwintercreeper

#11 Post by drwintercreeper » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:08 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:30 pm
The article says the injury was to Perry’s back. So that’s new info. And that they already recorded three new songs after the tour and are just awaiting guitar to be added. What a shame that Dave is doing what he’s doing. He can obviously record at least. But yeah, he hasn’t written anything interesting in a very long time. So he’s probably the most replaceable member. And the tour proved that.
I watched a front row vid of detroit? On youtube today and in the middle of three days perry got up on perk’s riser and then got down. He seemed careful stepping down. I dunno, just seemed like what one would so after ducking up their back.

creep
Site Admin

#12 Post by creep » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:15 pm

:noclue:
Upon returning from tour, the band booked several days at a studio in Hollywood and tapped producers James Ford and Pete Robinson
James Ford is an English record producer, songwriter and musician, known for being a member of Simian Mobile Disco and The Last Shadow Puppets as well as his production work with the Arctic Monkeys, Foals, Florence and the Machine, Depeche Mode, Haim, Gorillaz, Klaxons, Jessie Ware and Kylie Minogue.

VancouverRick

#13 Post by VancouverRick » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:12 pm

Post-Deconstruction, Navarro's guitar playing seemed middle of the road, glam metal-lite. Nothing he touched on his own (without Perry and Avery) sounded innovative at all. I'm glad he's not involved in the new music.

someguy

#14 Post by someguy » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:01 pm

VancouverRick wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:12 pm
Post-Deconstruction, Navarro's guitar playing seemed middle of the road, glam metal-lite. Nothing he touched on his own (without Perry and Avery) sounded innovative at all. I'm glad he's not involved in the new music.
You’d think he’d be into pushing himself creatively again with the original lineup- wasted opportunity

Hokahey
Site Admin

#15 Post by Hokahey » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:01 am

creep wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:15 pm
:noclue:
Upon returning from tour, the band booked several days at a studio in Hollywood and tapped producers James Ford and Pete Robinson
James Ford is an English record producer, songwriter and musician, known for being a member of Simian Mobile Disco and The Last Shadow Puppets as well as his production work with the Arctic Monkeys, Foals, Florence and the Machine, Depeche Mode, Haim, Gorillaz, Klaxons, Jessie Ware and Kylie Minogue.
Probably cheap.

thoreau

#16 Post by thoreau » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:44 am

Who knows what Dave is thinking, but an open invitation from the band for him to just participate is not very reassuring.

Dave's apparently prepping for a live show as of 30 mins ago too:

https://instagram.com/stories/davenavar ... JmNzVkMjY=

Hype

#17 Post by Hype » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:48 am

VancouverRick wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:12 pm
If we're being honest, Dave didn't write some of the most iconic guitar parts on some of their most iconic songs. He was an incredibly gifted player in the 80s when he was very young, but has never showed any signs of being a great song writer. He also has clearly been uninterested in seriously making music (except as a kind of "I also do this" bit) for at least a decade. Which is all fine. Good for him. I hope he's happy. :noclue:

EA's solo efforts have sounded amazing at times, but imho Help Wanted showed that he is prone to overthinking things. Perry's the only one who seems to be able to just toss shit at the wall without worrying what sticks... and has had luck several times with shit sticking. Maybe this will go well and the music will be interesting. I doubt it, though.

Diabolik

#18 Post by Diabolik » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:50 am

Entire thing with Dave is weird and the band seems to be bending over backwards to give him, us and whoever else a sense that maybe he’s still in the band?

But an open invitation feels as far removed as you can be.

I’m more interested in hearing what Eric and Perry can craft. Guitars will probably follow his baselines and where we’ll notice is in the solos

There’s gotta be a rift within the band or something. Cause a Dave is more than okay to record with Iggy and have a very active art and whatever life.

Oh well. It’s a bummer but I’d rather Ash or Josh or whoever join and play and be excited

VancouverRick

#19 Post by VancouverRick » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:08 am

Hype wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:48 am
If we're being honest, Dave didn't write some of the most iconic guitar parts on some of their most iconic songs.
My two favourite Jane's Addictions songs are Summertime Rolls and Mountain Song. Both are driven by Avery's rolling bass-lines and Perry's sense of melody and phrasing. As much as I like Navarros solo in Mountain Song (Wah drenched in delay), Perry's use of echo/delay is just as important in creating a cacophony of sound. And Perkins shines on both of those tracks as well.

All this to say, Navarro has settled into a cover band guitarist and pop culture celebrity. Which is fine, but that's not what I'm looking for in a future Jane's Addiction project.

creep
Site Admin

#20 Post by creep » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:05 am

thoreau wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:44 am
Who knows what Dave is thinking, but an open invitation from the band for him to just participate is not very reassuring.

yeah...what show?

this is all very strange. at what point is he officially replaced? can't leave the door open forever.

JOEinPHX

#21 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:27 am

creep wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:05 am
thoreau wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:44 am

yeah...what show?
10 bucks says it's just another art show featuring his Wish.com Banksy knockoffs.

esqfool

#22 Post by esqfool » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:41 am

Definitely sounds like Dave is out. I'll be fine with new songs without him since I won't know what it would sound like with him if that makes sense. Pedantic thinking but what I hear first is how the song will always be in my head no matter who played on it. I really enjoyed this tour and thought they had such great energy. Also, the DN guitar playing I want is basically JA/Decon/RHCP OHM, not Panic Channel, not even Strays. Seems like he has moved on from the style of guitar playing that really made these songs magical. Oh well, he doesn't owe use anything at this point, I'm just excited to hear new songs. I think Josh would be pretty damn hungry to play on those records.

Diabolik

#23 Post by Diabolik » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:21 pm

I can see Josh being excited to play/record with Jane’s and also bring a sound and a vibe that feels like Jane’s.

He’s all about delays and reverbs and that what I want

eye

#24 Post by eye » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:41 pm

As I said previously - I think Dave's using again and not interested/able to contribute. It's certainly all very strange.. I have a feeling he hasn't even listened to the new songs either!? :noclue: Who knows what's really going on behind the scenes - It seems the rest of the band don't really know either tbh? Maybe it really is long covid and depression and Dave is just burnt out.

I agree that the artier Decon/Ritual guitar era Dave is much needed.

I really hope he surprises us all and rejoins - and blows us all away!! What an utterly lost opportunity otherwise... this is absolutely the last chance of new/great/LEGITIMATE Jane's Addiction music since 1990.

If Dave's out .. I'd take van leeuwen. Not a fan of Klinghoffer at all.

parklife03

#25 Post by parklife03 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:27 pm

The "risk" of releasing only 3 songs is that they get forgotten with the time and not considered part of the official discography, between they're not packaged into the album concept. That's what happened with every band that did this. With this context, I would prefer at least a Jane's/PFP album with 3 or 4 songs each one. Many bands did this in the old days (the NIN/JA EP is an example).