Alt Press Article on tour/new music

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
nestos

Re: Alt Press Article on tour/new music

#26 Post by nestos » Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:28 am

How many times did I read along the past 20 years that they had 3 new songs in the box... :lolol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#27 Post by Hokahey » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:59 am

I suspect that the band doesn’t even know exactly what Dave’s problem is, and they also aren’t sure if he’s using. Perry’s demeanor turned very serious when he was asked about Dave in that recent video interview.

someguy

#28 Post by someguy » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:45 am

Hokahey wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:59 am
I suspect that the band doesn’t even know exactly what Dave’s problem is, and they also aren’t sure if he’s using. Perry’s demeanor turned very serious when he was asked about Dave in that recent video interview.
I noticed yesterday between his personal account and life and death account his stories had a lot of blatant misspelling of words to the point where he could have easily fixed them. Seems as though he was under the influence of something which is concerning

CaseyContrarian

#29 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:29 pm

someguy wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:45 am
Hokahey wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:59 am
I noticed yesterday between his personal account and life and death account his stories had a lot of blatant misspelling of words to the point where he could have easily fixed them. Seems as though he was under the influence of something which is concerning
Yup. Perry was like, Dave is “doing OK at best.”

I do think it’s possible he’s using. Maybe it started in response to Taylor’s death. If that’s the case, it’s perverse in two ways—Taylor died of drug abuse and his whole fucking reason for existing seemed to be to get the original Jane’s lineup back together. Dave’s Addiction would be pissing on all of that.

nestos

#30 Post by nestos » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:48 am

Perversity fits well with drugs and there ain't anything rational in their taking.

To me, Dave's relapse is definitely an option (and should he or not, I don't have any opinion on that).

SR

#31 Post by SR » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:53 am

Rarely a DN apologist, I haven't seen what so many have seen post RDLH. I think his playing has served the spirit of the songs...but barely. He played the best covers of them for decades. He's still a really good player, but zero heart. Also, his playing on NS and RDLH are brilliant and I ascribe that accomplishment to him. But that was then....he's changed dramatically as has the distribution of power in the band (from corporate, financial, and Perry influences). His overall songwriting has always been mediocre, but his ability to color a song in interesting and powerful ways seems to have always been an option. I still think he's using.

I really liked Troy, but have no clue as to his ability to contribute in the writing process. Wasn't a fan of the idea of Josh, but his versions of 3 days blew my mind. He's come a long way, and loving his writing over the years, I think he might do fine work with his bud EA. PF shedding some of his pride may help too. Most interesting time the band has seen in a long time.

Tyler Durden

#32 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:59 pm

I find it super sad that it took Dave basically quitting the band for Perry and Eric to finally truly patch things up from 30+ years ago…or at least that is the optics.

Diabolik

#33 Post by Diabolik » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:13 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:59 pm
I find it super sad that it took Dave basically quitting the band for Perry and Eric to finally truly patch things up from 30+ years ago…or at least that is the optics.

Same.

It sorta doesn’t feel like a coincidence either. Part of me thinks Dave decided to leave when Chaney was let go…like he’s just not into working with Eric.

So it WILD to me that Perry was excited and things have gone so well!

Hokahey
Site Admin

#34 Post by Hokahey » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:58 am

Diabolik wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:13 pm
Tyler Durden wrote:

Same.

It sorta doesn’t feel like a coincidence either. Part of me thinks Dave decided to leave when Chaney was let go…like he’s just not into working with Eric.

Then why all the pretending at first?

SR

#35 Post by SR » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:20 am

Could be that I am reading too far into this (and I probably am as my info is from interviews which are contrived), but it seems that they are treating him much like a family treats a active junkie/drunk...."we're here whenever you get well". Also, can't believe that the NS is close to 35. I went to the 25 year Sunset Strip fest...feels like yesterday. :oldtimer:

Tyler Durden

#36 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:01 am

Hokahey wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:58 am
Diabolik wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

Same.

Pretending with respect to what?

Noonesshocking

#37 Post by Noonesshocking » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:11 am

I held out for so long seeing the lineup with Chaney. And then when I finally did, it turned out to be his last show AND possibly Dave’s last show. Kinda wild

someguy

#38 Post by someguy » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:15 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:01 am
Hokahey wrote:
Diabolik wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

Same.

I guess it’s been a fluid situation all along, but initially it was insinuated that only Dave was going to play on the new songs and that he may come back to the tour at some point- everyone was supportive about that. Dave even said himself that he was excited the original lineup was back but over the course of the tour something must have devolved.

Just poking around elsewhere on the internet, one word keeps popping up about the whole situation- “odd”

CaseyContrarian

#39 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:36 am

someguy wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:15 am
Tyler Durden wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:01 am
Hokahey wrote:
Diabolik wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

Same.

I guess it’s been a fluid situation all along, but initially it was insinuated that only Dave was going to play on the new songs and that he may come back to the tour at some point- everyone was supportive about that. Dave even said himself that he was excited the original lineup was back but over the course of the tour something must have devolved.

Just poking around elsewhere on the internet, one word keeps popping up about the whole situation- “odd”
Originally, Perry did say something to the effect that Dave simply had to be the person to play guitar on the new tracks, and now there’s potentially three to who knows how many potential guitarists invited to record. I wonder who from the Jane’s camp, if anyone, is in touch with Dave at this point. Eric mentioned being happy with management this time around (as opposed to his NIN/JA experience), but to outside observers, it’s a clusterfuck.

I do think Dave is sore about Chaney, but it might not be one thing. I definitely subscribe to the relapse theory.

Diabolik

#40 Post by Diabolik » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:51 am

Didn’t Perry or someone, maybe Dave say he was gonna work on the songs during the tour?

The band seems to have gone out of its way to give Dave the benefit of the doubt, and now post tour it’s like

If Dave can contribute… great.

Feels like whatever happens next, won’t be for lack of trying to keep the door open for Dave.

Artemis

#41 Post by Artemis » Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:14 pm

I don't know what to think anymore.

Relapse is a strong possibility.

I'm also thinking depression that is debilitating for him to do anything beyond things that are self-focused. Things like making decisions or committing to projects seem to be out right now.
If his street art and taste in art in general are anything to go by, I think he's got a lot of shit to deal with, like the way he lost his mother. Now he's in his mid 50s. It's not so old, but not really so young either. Maybe he's having thought on his own mortality and the quality of his life. :noclue:

I wonder if his lady uses too. If she does, I would say it would be very hard for DN to resist.

elportosurfer9

#42 Post by elportosurfer9 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:04 pm

I saw Janes at the Honda center in Anaheim, and I was impressed. Sure, Troy was lacking some skill on the songs, but I still thought the vibe was much better. I think Dave is using again and not interested at all. My buddy said the reason why Perry and Eric are getting on so great is because Dave isn't there, which I agree with. I said a while ago, that if Dave doesn't at least one song at the Hollywood Bowl he is just not interested or something more sinister is going on. Personally, I really hope Dave is ok and finds his way again.

Diabolik

#43 Post by Diabolik » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:33 pm

I never even considered that Perry and Eric getting on so well could be because Dave ISNT there…

Mescal

#44 Post by Mescal » Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:14 am

Diabolik wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:33 pm
I never even considered that Perry and Eric getting on so well could be because Dave ISNT there…
Yeah, where do you guys get that from?

jptm

#45 Post by jptm » Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:27 am

...because that's how the first two albums came about; Perry & Eric making songs; Dave just added in his metal vibe... :tiphat:

Tyler Durden

#46 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:22 am

The idea that Dave may be upset because Chaney is no longer involved with Jane’s is just comical (though it may be true). The guy was total dead weight and added nothing. The antithesis of what Jane’s Addiction was/is. Chaney is beige pants and plain yogurt, personified. Dave should be thanking the almighty or source energy that Eric Avery is back in Jane’s Addiction.

CaseyContrarian

#47 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:45 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:22 am
The idea that Dave may be upset because Chaney is no longer involved with Jane’s is just comical (though it may be true). The guy was total dead weight and added nothing. The antithesis of what Jane’s Addiction was/is. Chaney is beige pants and plain yogurt, personified. Dave should be thanking the almighty or source energy that Eric Avery is back in Jane’s Addiction.
He should be, for sure. But he ain’t. And nobody knows why. It’s fucked and lame.

Hype

#48 Post by Hype » Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:59 am

Artemis wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:14 pm
I don't know what to think anymore.

Relapse is a strong possibility.

I'm also thinking depression that is debilitating for him to do anything beyond things that are self-focused. Things like making decisions or committing to projects seem to be out right now.
If his street art and taste in art in general are anything to go by, I think he's got a lot of shit to deal with, like the way he lost his mother. Now he's in his mid 50s. It's not so old, but not really so young either. Maybe he's having thought on his own mortality and the quality of his life. :noclue:

I wonder if his lady uses too. If she does, I would say it would be very hard for DN to resist.
One of the hypotheses about a lot of supposed "long covid" cases is that they're really just depression and anxiety that people mistake for continued symptoms of the virus (a version of the post hoc fallacy: "y happened after x, therefore x caused y"). They're still not 100% sure that this is the case for everyone, and it doesn't mean that the people with these symptoms aren't struggling. But that would make a lot of sense.

Anyway, as a human being I hope he's fine, but I otherwise don't care. :noclue:

thoreau

#49 Post by thoreau » Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:51 am

I don't know what to think anymore either. The clear portion is that 3 slices of the pie are on the same page, and the remaining slice clearly isn't.

I sincerely hope Dave does what truly makes him content, and if that's not Jane's at this point, definitely disappointing but sobeit.