JA March 2023 Tour Thread

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
elbuitre

Re: JA March 2023 Tour Thread

#101 Post by elbuitre » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:43 am

eye wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:24 am
My only criticism is Josh’s guitar parts add absolutely nothing to it. Just atmospheric fumbling.. kinda ‘poke and prey’ stuff. It’s sorely missing a top line… and Dave Navarros magic.
I was expecting to agree with this when I read it before hearing the song. But I actually think the guitar works really nicely. It adds a dreamy quality and gives the song an emotional depth. Reminded me of the instrumental mid-section in Tahitian Moon.

clickie

#102 Post by clickie » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:57 am

So is that Perry's natural hair color? Reminds me of Tom Cruise in Collateral.

SR

#103 Post by SR » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:57 am

Felt nothing at all. JK disappoints in another debut with a great band

lucio

#104 Post by lucio » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:05 am

eye wrote:
someguy wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:10 am
You guys realize that’s road from Life.Time right?

Eric said he wanted to rework it back in 2014
Yeh, I noticed too. Wasn’t it originally a Jane’s idea from back during the Reznor sessions?

Anyway.. I like the vibe, rhythm section sounds great. The lyrics in the first verse are a little cringy. As someone mentioned it’s Ernest and genuine. It’s cool. My only criticism is Josh’s guitar parts add absolutely nothing to it. Just atmospheric fumbling.. kinda ‘poke and prey’ stuff. It’s sorely missing a top line… and Dave Navarros magic.

Still, I’m excited to hear more new stuff.

I guess it also clears up the fact that Dave clearly hasn’t contributed to writing a guitar part/s in the studio.. and JK is playing it. No way that’s a DN line.
Dave hasn't played anything magical in 26 years in my opinion. Not sure Dave would sound any better than what Josh is doing. Josh and Troy (if he wrote any of this) add something new. Josh needs to work on his sloppy timing. Is he high on stage or something?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#105 Post by Hokahey » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:10 am

clickie wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:30 am
Thanks a lot hokahey you just ruined the song for everyone. :bs: :balls: :waits: :davegoatee:

Let’s all just settle down and have a vegemite sandwich.

trevor ayer

#106 Post by trevor ayer » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:29 am

i am hearing dave on true love working an electric funeral type riff under the melody instead of that plucky crap JK is farting out .. JK be sloppy AF .. errbody else sounding good tho .. bring on the real deal already

dannyboy

#107 Post by dannyboy » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:31 am

Hokahey wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:10 am
clickie wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:30 am
Thanks a lot hokahey you just ruined the song for everyone. :bs: :balls: :waits: :davegoatee:

Let’s all just settle down and have a vegemite sandwich.
Are you trying to tempt me?

parklife03

#108 Post by parklife03 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:25 am

I like everything - the setlist, the new song and Josh's style. It's an almost 2-hs show, right?

Artemis

#109 Post by Artemis » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:39 am

So, next stop is Tuscon,AZ tonight.

Diabolik

#110 Post by Diabolik » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:48 am

There’s 2 points in the new songs guitar parts that are great

In the first break there’s a great single note bend that’s got a wonderful surf feel. In fact that first break where Josh is playing is pretty great

The second break is too noodly and all over — but that will be cleaned up.

Also the end chord picking is enough for me to be very excited.

Can easily see a records version having synths in between the guitar parts.

IDK

Maybe I’m a sucker, but I can’t stop listening and imagining the recorded version and what else they might have.

I love how Eric motioned that he needs to sit down to play that bass part.

Japhy

#111 Post by Japhy » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:30 am

dannyboy wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:09 am
Me tooooooo!

Was wondering if you were coming back!!!!
Was always gonna need something interesting like this to make me think about them again! It’s cool to see them taking this so seriously… new song is such a great nod to where they’re heading, even allowing for the Men At Work vibe.

CaseyContrarian

#112 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:19 am

lucio wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:05 am
eye wrote:
someguy wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:10 am
You guys realize that’s road from Life.Time right?

Eric said he wanted to rework it back in 2014
Yeh, I noticed too. Wasn’t it originally a Jane’s idea from back during the Reznor sessions?

Anyway.. I like the vibe, rhythm section sounds great. The lyrics in the first verse are a little cringy. As someone mentioned it’s Ernest and genuine. It’s cool. My only criticism is Josh’s guitar parts add absolutely nothing to it. Just atmospheric fumbling.. kinda ‘poke and prey’ stuff. It’s sorely missing a top line… and Dave Navarros magic.

Still, I’m excited to hear more new stuff.

I guess it also clears up the fact that Dave clearly hasn’t contributed to writing a guitar part/s in the studio.. and JK is playing it. No way that’s a DN line.
Dave hasn't played anything magical in 26 years in my opinion. Not sure Dave would sound any better than what Josh is doing. Josh and Troy (if he wrote any of this) add something new. Josh needs to work on his sloppy timing. Is he high on stage or something?
Navarro would sound infinitely better than Josh and more interesting playing a throwaway part in his sleep. Period.

Tyler Durden

#113 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:44 am

Some of this Navarro trash talk is off the deep end.

Sure, I get it...I'm the first to say that the reunion albums were sub par at best and desperately lacking much of what made the original albums great (most notably Eric's absence, among other factors). But to say that Dave brought nothing interesting to the table on these albums is a bit of an exaggeration. Sure, there's no "Three Days" guitar solo or anything and some of it is generic or redundant for him...but I have a big hard on for the guitar solo in "Underground". :lol:

The guitar work on TGEA has some "gothy" vibes, even if the songs themselves aren't that great. And his work on songs like "True Nature", "Strays", and "To Match The Sun" is pretty cool. Again, it's not on the level of the Warner albums...but it's not terrible. Some of the issue lies in the overproduced sound, as well as the lack of great basslines to hold everything together and help Dave's work shine.

Noonesshocking

#114 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:51 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:44 am

Sure, I get it...I'm the first to say that the reunion albums were sub par at best and desperately lacking much of what made the original albums great (most notably Eric's absence, among other factors). But to say that Dave brought nothing interesting to the table on these albums is a bit of an exaggeration. Sure, there's no "Three Days" guitar solo or anything and some of it is generic or redundant for him...but I have a big hard on for the guitar solo in "Underground". :lol:

The guitar work on TGEA has some "gothy" vibes, even if the songs themselves aren't that great. And his work on songs like "True Nature", "Strays", and "To Match The Sun" is pretty cool. Again, it's not on the level of the Warner albums...but it's not terrible. Some of the issue lies in the overproduced sound, as well as the lack of great basslines to hold everything together and help Dave's work shine.
agree - was surprised by the backlash in that other thread. TGEA has some great playing and interesting goth-leaning parts

Hokahey
Site Admin

#115 Post by Hokahey » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:33 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:

The only guitar I remember from TGEA is the little segue between the verses and chorus on Irresistible Force. Which I love. But that’s all I can think of. Which is telling.

someguy

#116 Post by someguy » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:39 pm

Dave could react great to TL if he wanted to. My guess is Josh will end up playing on the studio version.

I’d really like to see what he can do with what the other guys have come up with- I know he can be great but it’s been well over six months now of stone cold silence

esqfool

#117 Post by esqfool » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:08 pm

I too hear Men At Work - Down Under. After listening to "True Love", I kept having "and gave me breakfast" floating in my head for like a day, then I realized it was the song Hoka mentioned and I busted up laughing. Hopefully "Imminent Redemption" or whatever it is gets played tonight. Maybe even "Tornado Song" for the old school heads :lolol:

parklife03

#118 Post by parklife03 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:54 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:33 pm
Tyler Durden wrote:

The only guitar I remember from TGEA is the little segue between the verses and chorus on Irresistible Force. Which I love. But that’s all I can think of. Which is telling.
Am I the only one here that actually likes the 4 studio albums? No one doubts about Nothing's Shocking and Ritual, but I think that Strays and TGEA are solid efforts too (at least 7/10).

Sure, you can take out a song or two.

But I love that the 4 of them are so different from each other that I can listen to them in different moods.

NS = raw, wild, excelent (9.50/10)

RDLH = progressive and conceptual, controlled rawness but the perfect amount of it (9.50/10)

Strays = shiny mood, lots of production, upbeat. For a sunny day when you want some mainstream-oriented tunes. I would take off 2 or 3 songs and that's it (7.50/10)

TGEA = dark, heavier but polished. Many textures. Lyrics are not the same, but as I'm not an English native, they don't sound cringey to me (8/10)

Just my honest and personal take.

Noonesshocking

#119 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:07 pm

parklife03 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:54 pm
Hokahey wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:33 pm
Tyler Durden wrote:

Am I the only one here that actually likes the 4 studio albums? No one doubts about Nothing's Shocking and Ritual, but I think that Strays and TGEA are solid efforts too (at least 7/10).

Sure, you can take out a song or two.

But I love that the 4 of them are so different from each other that I can listen to them in different moods.

NS = raw, wild, excelent (9.50/10)

RDLH = progressive and conceptual, controlled rawness but the perfect amount of it (9.50/10)

Strays = shiny mood, lots of production, upbeat. For a sunny day when you want some mainstream-oriented tunes. I would take off 2 or 3 songs and that's it (7.50/10)

TGEA = dark, heavier but polished. Many textures. Lyrics are not the same, but as I'm not an English native, they don't sound cringey to me (8/10)

Just my honest and personal take.
I've come around to TGEA a lot. Strays not so much.

phenobarb_bambalam

#120 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:44 pm

And another.....

phenobarb_bambalam

#121 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:53 pm

Fuck it - have another...

phenobarb_bambalam

#122 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:19 pm

Noonesshocking

#123 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:39 pm

phenobarb_bambalam wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:53 pm
Fuck it - have another...

Much prefer Josh on this song to Troy.

CaseyContrarian

#124 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:02 pm

Excellent. Perry sounds terrific; he’s clearly still into it. Josh isn’t a great guitar player. And Then She Did... is super-weak, like his clean tone is totally dead, no chiming chorused sustain. I’d still like to hear his solo on Three Days.

CaseyContrarian

#125 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:05 pm

Scratch that, it’s horrifyingly bad. Why does this guy get gigs?