JA March 2023 Tour Thread

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
someguy

Re: JA March 2023 Tour Thread

#151 Post by someguy » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:14 pm

Josh is cool and everything it’s just that well… he plays notes and chords with his fingers on an actual guitar. It’s like, can’t he play guitar?? Itd be cool if Dave played guitar but also he plays guitar and I don’t want to see that. I guess Troy was okay but he was using his basic cognitive functions while playing guitar… idk

Juan%

#152 Post by Juan% » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:27 pm

someguy wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:14 pm
Josh is cool and everything it’s just that well… he plays notes and chords with his fingers on an actual guitar. It’s like, can’t he play guitar?? Itd be cool if Dave played guitar but also he plays guitar and I don’t want to see that. I guess Troy was okay but he was using his basic cognitive functions while playing guitar… idk
I like this explanation the best. Pretty much sums this particular strain of fandom.🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼

CaseyContrarian

#153 Post by CaseyContrarian » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:44 pm

Diabolik wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:35 pm
Three Days solo from last night is indeed awesome

https://twitter.com/stephenperkins/stat ... Xxoe8gICCQ
I’LL BE THE JUDGE OF THAT :wiggle:

No, seriously, I will be, but after kindergarten pickup.

CaseyContrarian

#154 Post by CaseyContrarian » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:46 pm

Juan% wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:19 pm
I worry that if Dave does come back, (which he will not, he’s done) but if he does, it will just go back to sounding average at best. The best being, a surprisingly good show with Cheney playing, or at worst, NINJA. I’ll be honest, I haven’t ever really considered any of the post 1991 shows, as JA shows at all. At best, they’ve been good, sporadically. Sacramento 1997, was great. 2001 Mountain View was good, 2003 Lolla was cool, and surprisingly enough, the TGEA show, in Clearwater, was great. The rest I’ve seen, have been ok enough, sometimes, to really bad other times. Basically, I’ve been saying “This is the last time…” since like 2001. I totally wasn’t going to go to see the SP tour, just thought it would be more of the same, and I can’t stomach SP, to begin with. What made me go more than Eric being back, was that DN was not there. It was just a new element, a curiosity. And EA seemed really into the idea, actually…. And they are my favorite band, so it’s a hard habit to break….

Damn… that show was, without any question, the best show I have seen them do since 1991. That’s a fact. And I love TVL to begin with, so while different and chunky, and a little sloppy, it felt like JA, for the first time, since they were an actual band. Klinghoffer played on like 3-4 songs then, the 5 piece was wild!!!!🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼

That coupled with the PFP show I saw in LA, I am genuinely excited again about them… Eric is happy, it rocked, they were all good! So I have the Palladium show coming up, I guess just with Klinghoffer. I’m stoked. I think I would be less so, if DN were just playing, oddly enough. He hasn’t been into it since what 2001? And you can tell, note perfect or not. I’m in, so yeah, It’s a great and interesting time to be a JA fan again, I think.
NIN/JA sucked because Perry. Perry isn’t sucking right now. They aren’t tuned down a step and a half. Even if Dave phoned it in right now, the band would be perfectly scorching. Search your feelings; you know this to be true.

eye

#155 Post by eye » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:00 pm

What alway's made Jane's special was the undeniable chemistry between all 4 members.. no?

I don't think you can replace anyone of them. That's the truth. Playing live is one thing, but creating/writing music together is something else entirely. It's the magic that happens between the four of them... that's a very rare thing.

How many bands can you think of that have that? Honestly? Where each member brings something irreplaceable - a sum greater than its parts. Led Zeppelin..?

someguy

#156 Post by someguy » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:08 pm

eye wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:00 pm
What alway's made Jane's special was the undeniable chemistry between all 4 members.. no?

I don't think you can replace anyone of them. That's the truth. Playing live is one thing, but creating/writing music together is something else entirely. It's the magic that happens between the four of them... that's a very rare thing.

How many bands can you think of that have that? Honestly? Where each member brings something irreplaceable - a sum greater than its parts. Led Zeppelin..?
Bingo- NINJA proved they could tour. Not as interested in shows and who’s on stage. There’s unfinished business from last time around and I really want to see a new album with the original 4 only

JOEinPHX

#157 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:09 pm

eye wrote:
Now we just gotta get Eric and Perry back on heroin too, and the recordings will be exactly as good as they were in 1988!

That's the formula right? These guys plus substances?

Chemistry without chemicals will just result in another bad album! /s

Juan%

#158 Post by Juan% » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:36 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:46 pm
Juan% wrote:
I worry that if Dave does come back, (which he will not, he’s done) but if he does, it will just go back to sounding average at best. The best being, a surprisingly good show with Cheney playing, or at worst, NINJA. I’ll be honest, I haven’t ever really considered any of the post 1991 shows, as JA shows at all. At best, they’ve been good, sporadically. Sacramento 1997, was great. 2001 Mountain View was good, 2003 Lolla was cool, and surprisingly enough, the TGEA show, in Clearwater, was great. The rest I’ve seen, have been ok enough, sometimes, to really bad other times. Basically, I’ve been saying “This is the last time…” since like 2001. I totally wasn’t going to go to see the SP tour, just thought it would be more of the same, and I can’t stomach SP, to begin with. What made me go more than Eric being back, was that DN was not there. It was just a new element, a curiosity. And EA seemed really into the idea, actually…. And they are my favorite band, so it’s a hard habit to break….

Damn… that show was, without any question, the best show I have seen them do since 1991. That’s a fact. And I love TVL to begin with, so while different and chunky, and a little sloppy, it felt like JA, for the first time, since they were an actual band. Klinghoffer played on like 3-4 songs then, the 5 piece was wild!!!!🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼

That coupled with the PFP show I saw in LA, I am genuinely excited again about them… Eric is happy, it rocked, they were all good! So I have the Palladium show coming up, I guess just with Klinghoffer. I’m stoked. I think I would be less so, if DN were just playing, oddly enough. He hasn’t been into it since what 2001? And you can tell, note perfect or not. I’m in, so yeah, It’s a great and interesting time to be a JA fan again, I think.
NIN/JA sucked because Perry. Perry isn’t sucking right now. They aren’t tuned down a step and a half. Even if Dave phoned it in right now, the band would be perfectly scorching. Search your feelings; you know this to be true.
Possibly???? But I think there is more to it than that. Perry, that is true, all day, but you think they would be scorching if DN was phoning it in? I don’t know about that. Maybe I guess, but I don’t really think so. I so do wish he was there, AND into it. But we’d all know if he was phoning it in, and that would suck.

lucio

#159 Post by lucio » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:16 pm

Juan% wrote:

I liked hearing JA with 2 guitars Troy and Josh, with Troy playing the atmospheric parts. Liked the atmosphere Troy did on Jane says. .

Juan%

#160 Post by Juan% » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:26 pm

lucio wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:16 pm
Juan% wrote:

I liked hearing JA with 2 guitars Troy and Josh, with Troy playing the atmospheric parts. Liked the atmosphere Troy did on Jane says. .

This. It sounded great!

CaseyContrarian

#161 Post by CaseyContrarian » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:29 pm

I thought having two guitars was new and different and allowed each guitarist to more or less play to their strengths

Pandemonium

#162 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:41 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:00 am

No Stratocasters in JA, please.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#163 Post by Hokahey » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:44 pm

Is there no video of true love from last night?

bman

#164 Post by bman » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:46 pm

Eric is the secret sauce. Thank god he's back. And yeah the pumpkins tour was refreshing bc the guitar parts were different from the note for note album parts that Dave likes to play. Id love for Dave to be healthy and into it but he's not. Till then I'm team Troy or Josh or both. :rockon:

Moschops

#165 Post by Moschops » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:31 pm

eye wrote:

This.

I’m a long-term lurker who hasn’t posted in years, but still checked the forum every so often, even when my enthusiasm for Janes was properly waning after watching them phoning it in for years.

The fact that it’s 2023 and Eric is back in the band and they’re playing new music blows my mind. It’s been fascinating to watch developments over the last few months, and I’m actually excited about this band for the first time in years. I’ve no problem with Troy or Josh filling in while Dave’s not there, but surely what we’re all hoping for is for Dave to get over his troubles and come back and blow us all away. We know from the Chaney years that there’s something indefinably special when the OG four get together that doesn’t quite work when one part of the machine is missing.

I don’t buy the long covid cover story but I totally understand why they’re sticking with it. I think the photos of the hole in Dave’s arm make it pretty obvious what’s really happening. Here’s hoping Dave’s current social media silence is a sign that he’s getting help and is on the road to recovery.

Noonesshocking

#166 Post by Noonesshocking » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:33 pm

Ain't No Right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWPMTqnr6Ko (sorry will never remember how to embed)

Imo, best song I've heard Josh on yet. Cool he's playing one of those old Ibanez's as an homage to 1.0

Shufflefield

#167 Post by Shufflefield » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:45 pm

I think they are sounding better than they have since 1.0 - and they are slowly mixing up setlists. I think doing kettle again is pretty exciting. And I really liked the show I saw with Troy. I thought he was really rough in the early shows I saw videos of, but by the time they got to Ohio he pretty much had the kinks worked out. And as others have probably noted, I don't think he had the luxury of a lot of prep time.

I really am liking the videos I have seen of Josh too. I guess he is getting flack for being goofy, not being dave, whatever. But I think he is sounding really good. The three days solo was pretty great, I like that it hit the right beats, my favorite bits were there, but he had his own stuff as well. I felt the same about troy. And I thought Then She Did was good, there were a few connecting jangly bits he didn't hit, or even try to, that I missed, but I thought overall it was good. But you could probably fart Then She Did through a mega phone and I would just be happy it was getting played.

Do I miss Dave - of course, he is part and parcel with the whole thing. More people probably know Jane's through him than even Perry. But honestly having 4 guys on stage that WANT to be there, and maybe more importantly Eric and Perry wanting to actually be around each other, makes a huge difference. I hope he gets well, I hope he makes it back and is great. But what we are getting has some kind of magic, and I am glad it's happening.

It reminds me a bit of the Pixies. They went through the motions for years with Kim not wanting to record or write or do anything other than tour. As soon as she was gone, the Pixies (to me) were actually back. Head Carrier was the most pixies album since Doolittle for my money. I even liked the EP with Kim Shuttuck. But Paz has been perfect, hell I think BETTER than Kim Deal ever was for the band. (not saying that is fully the case here).

blah blah blah I type too much.

parklife03

#168 Post by parklife03 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:09 pm

Juan% wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:27 pm
someguy wrote:
I like this explanation the best. Pretty much sums this particular strain of fandom.🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼
Totally agree, this fandom is based around complaining. Just enjoy it for once, ffs! Nothing (with any band) will ever be like 30+ years ago. But if you relax and enjoy, you'll for sure live a happier life :tiphat:

Juan%

#169 Post by Juan% » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:45 pm

parklife03 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:09 pm
Juan% wrote:
someguy wrote:
Totally agree, this fandom is based around complaining. Just enjoy it for once, ffs! Nothing (with any band) will ever be like 30+ years ago. But if you relax and enjoy, you'll for sure live a happier life :tiphat:
Exactly.🤘🏼

Noonesshocking

#170 Post by Noonesshocking » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:12 pm

Shufflefield wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:45 pm
I think they are sounding better than they have since 1.0 - and they are slowly mixing up setlists. I think doing kettle again is pretty exciting. And I really liked the show I saw with Troy. I thought he was really rough in the early shows I saw videos of, but by the time they got to Ohio he pretty much had the kinks worked out. And as others have probably noted, I don't think he had the luxury of a lot of prep time.

I really am liking the videos I have seen of Josh too. I guess he is getting flack for being goofy, not being dave, whatever. But I think he is sounding really good. The three days solo was pretty great, I like that it hit the right beats, my favorite bits were there, but he had his own stuff as well. I felt the same about troy. And I thought Then She Did was good, there were a few connecting jangly bits he didn't hit, or even try to, that I missed, but I thought overall it was good. But you could probably fart Then She Did through a mega phone and I would just be happy it was getting played.

Do I miss Dave - of course, he is part and parcel with the whole thing. More people probably know Jane's through him than even Perry. But honestly having 4 guys on stage that WANT to be there, and maybe more importantly Eric and Perry wanting to actually be around each other, makes a huge difference. I hope he gets well, I hope he makes it back and is great. But what we are getting has some kind of magic, and I am glad it's happening.

It reminds me a bit of the Pixies. They went through the motions for years with Kim not wanting to record or write or do anything other than tour. As soon as she was gone, the Pixies (to me) were actually back. Head Carrier was the most pixies album since Doolittle for my money. I even liked the EP with Kim Shuttuck. But Paz has been perfect, hell I think BETTER than Kim Deal ever was for the band. (not saying that is fully the case here).

blah blah blah I type too much.
Great post. I was pretty floored by the pixies show I saw with Paz a few years ago.

I will also say the Paz the analogy is good here. Before Pixies, she was really connected to a lot of other acts and played with a lot of people in the alternative world but was also more than a session person, just like Josh and Troy. I think that’s why a there is a warmth to the pixies and a warmth to JA in 2022 and 2023.
Last edited by Noonesshocking on Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bman

#171 Post by bman » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:14 pm

That true love song and sound almost could have been on an 86 boot next to I would for you..Perry's voice much more mature but these shows with new guitarists sound like the old days of a band finding their way. I love it. Who knew Jane's could sound new again!

thoreau

#172 Post by thoreau » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:17 am

Part of Mountain Song from last night:

https://www.reddit.com/r/janesaddiction ... n_az_3723/

SR

#173 Post by SR » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:52 am

elbuitre wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:49 am
SR wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:12 am
That interview with Perk floored me when without any hesitation he ascribed long covid as the reason for DN's absence. :noclue:

This was recorded during the SP tour and “long Covid” was what they were saying at the time.

It wouldn’t surprise me if there were some contractual reason they have to maintain the long Covid line.

Then again, it might be true.
Ah, missed that. thx

CaseyContrarian

#174 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:44 am

Juan% wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:45 pm
parklife03 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:09 pm
Juan% wrote:
someguy wrote:
Exactly.🤘🏼
I’m perfectly relaxed, I just want one last OG Jane’s run with band members who want to be there and are able to deliver at the peak of whatever they can offer these days. I assume we are on the same page here. We are so frustratingly close, hence the frustration.

Josh did well on Three Days, better than Troy in terms of replicating the licks that need to be there in a signature solo.

Juan%

#175 Post by Juan% » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:59 am

Palladium! In route now!🤘🏼🤘🏼