JA March 2023 Tour Thread

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
REA

Re: JA March 2023 Tour Thread

#201 Post by REA » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:54 am

No need to pre buy tickets, they can be bought at the box office the day of show.

thoreau

#202 Post by thoreau » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:30 am

They played Obvious finally!? :yikes: Really hope a clip pops up.

Now we need to see Of Course. :bigrin:

Thanks for the reviews, Rick and PB!

SR

#203 Post by SR » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:10 am

phenobarb_bambalam wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:24 am
JK reinvents a classic Jane's song by omission and addition. This is a beautiful take on this song. Perk got creative on the original as well. :heart:

lucio

#204 Post by lucio » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:56 am

Troy's guitar sound is a lot better in my opinion. Troy's playing is pro, 100 percent. Josh not so much. They should have kept Troy in.

ESY

#205 Post by ESY » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:19 am

Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:43 am
Palladium was fucking stunning. I didn't comment on the Bakersfield gig as I was a little underwhelmed - they just didn't have the same umph they had in November. But.Tonight. Fuck. Fantastic. Perry was on a whole other level compared to Bakersfield. He was fluid and sounded so much better.

A portion of the difference between the shows may be down to the audience - Bakersfield was half full and a shit crowd. Palladium almost had a sense of occasion to it.

Trip Away and Pigs in Zen were dropped. Obvious and 1% added. Loved it. The rest of the set was the same.

Gutted to have to miss out on Reno....snow storm.
The Palladium is a perfect venue for Jane’s. I saw bauhaus there and it was killer.
Was at Bakersfield too, right at the front. Having a mostly seated venue, really doesn’t help.
Saying that, Perry was the most Perry I’ve seen since back in the day. He’s super into it. Last time I saw them in 2009, I swore I wouldn’t ever again - he was going through the motions and Eric looked bored. So glad they both are back!

thoreau

#206 Post by thoreau » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:23 am

SR wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:10 am
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:24 am
JK reinvents a classic Jane's song by omission and addition. This is a beautiful take on this song. Perk got creative on the original as well. :heart:
Couldn't agree more. That was absolutely phenomenal. Wow. :heart:

CaseyContrarian

#207 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:12 am

Japhy wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:29 am
Loving the clips (cheers PB) and really enjoying this new lease of life they’ve got with E’s return. Don’t get the knocking of Josh, I think he’s awesome up there being himself. If Dave ever actually wants back in, I’d quite like him there as well as, rather than replacing… band would work as a five.

Whatever happens, this shit is exciting again.
Because he mangles important parts. The 8 bar intro to Three Days in Tucson, the noise opening of Ted, etc.. it’s honestly embarrassing at times. Nothing against him personally, he’s just not a great guitarist. Below average.

Good energy tho, lol.

Shufflefield

#208 Post by Shufflefield » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:40 am

They played Obvious? No, more to the point... Eric played Obvious? Has he ever played Obvious, I think even the studio recording had a session guy on it. I know they played it with Martyn on the Jubilee tour. If Eric is actually playing Obvious, that shows there is just a ton of water under the bridge. =)

Good stuff.

*Edit - Trip Away Bakersfield... sounds like the record.... wow. I got alot of clips to catch up on. back to my comment on the setlist, this is the most adventurous they have been in years. Trip Away, 1% actually being played? If they do slow divers or suffer some I may pee a little.*

someguy

#209 Post by someguy » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:43 am

Shufflefield wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:40 am
They played Obvious? No, more to the point... Eric played Obvious? Has he ever played Obvious, I think even the studio recording had a session guy on it. I know they played it with Martyn on the Jubilee tour. If Eric is actually playing Obvious, that shows there is just a ton of water under the bridge. =)

Good stuff.

*Edit - Trip Away Bakersfield... sounds like the record.... wow. I got alot of clips to catch up on. back to my comment on the setlist, this is the most adventurous they have been in years. Trip Away, 1% actually being played? If they do slow divers or suffer some I may pee a little.*
They played obvious during NINJA too- he’s on the recording as well

Shufflefield

#210 Post by Shufflefield » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:50 am

someguy wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:43 am
Shufflefield wrote:

Good stuff.

Ahhh, your right. had to look it up. Of Course was the weird outlier on Ritual. forgive my foggy old man brain.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#211 Post by Hokahey » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:56 am

Shufflefield wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:50 am
someguy wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:43 am
Shufflefield wrote:

Good stuff.

Ahhh, your right. had to look it up. Of Course was the weird outlier on Ritual. forgive my foggy old man brain.
I always have that same mixup. I think it has something to do with the rumor that obvious was about Eric?

bman

#212 Post by bman » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:59 am

batteringram

#213 Post by batteringram » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:05 pm

Jane's Addiction @ Hollywood Palladium 3/9/23

https://youtu.be/mqwPfw-kauw

someguy

#214 Post by someguy » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:32 pm

batteringram wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:05 pm
Jane's Addiction @ Hollywood Palladium 3/9/23

https://youtu.be/mqwPfw-kauw
This is awesome- Josh kills it on Obvious and Stop

Said it yesterday but I really want to see this lineup

autumnan

#215 Post by autumnan » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:09 pm

Good footage - great to see the 50 yr-olds moshing and crowd surfing! :thumb: Doing my homework, the Palladium is a similar size to Brixton Academy (currently closed after 2 people died in a crush). Now, if only they would come to Koko or Shepherd's Bush for a festival warm up this summer... :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I have to admit, Josh does make some appropriately face-melt tones up there, and he's getting a lot of the signature notes in. The guitars have historical reference in Janes too, which is a nice visual touch (...on the subject of Strats, DN has a white one in the Mt Song video).

He needs to wind his strap up a bit though. It could help finesse some of his leads if he wasn't hunched over with his arms at full stretch. When he has to do large position shifts, or land a phrase that ties off a fast lick, that's when he seems to lose his way.

Excellent set list too. After all the years of people moaning about not mixing it up...

creep
Site Admin

#216 Post by creep » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:41 pm

autumnan wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:09 pm
Excellent set list too. After all the years of people moaning about not mixing it up...
all it took was a little effort and you haven't heard anyone complain about Etty being on stage.

rickpoet

#217 Post by rickpoet » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:12 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:10 pm
Noonesshocking wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:01 pm
Someone snagged video of them soundchecking imminent redemption tonight. sounds pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTwMJREBLMw
Bad link. Here’s the real one:

https://youtu.be/SECVGN4Bsgg
Honestly surprised no-one has shared the real video yet: https://r.mtdv.me/Janes-Addiction-Imminent-Rickdemption

Rick

Artemis

#218 Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:33 pm

rickpoet wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:12 pm
Hokahey wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:10 pm
Noonesshocking wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:01 pm
Someone snagged video of them soundchecking imminent redemption tonight. sounds pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTwMJREBLMw
Bad link. Here’s the real one:

https://youtu.be/SECVGN4Bsgg
Honestly surprised no-one has shared the real video yet: https://r.mtdv.me/Janes-Addiction-Imminent-Rickdemption

Rick
:lol: I clicked. I should have known better.

lucio

#219 Post by lucio » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:59 pm

Shufflefield wrote:

If they do slow divers or suffer some I may pee a little.*
Slow Divers, would be awesome to hear that one.

Pandemonium

#220 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:50 pm

Sounds like the Palladium show was every bit as epic as it should have been. I came real close to going, resale GA tickets fell to $70 plus they released a few GAs at face value a couple hours before showtime so it would have been no hassle getting in to this "sold out" show. I just couldn't do it with the exclusively 1.0 set (and one new mellow song), great is it all looked. When they get around to putting out new music even if it's Josh's Addiction, I'll be more apt to give it a shot.

I'm curious what people who've seen these few shows think of L.A. Witch. I really like their albums but I'm not sure if their tunes translates well live without sounding too same-y.

CaseyContrarian

#221 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:04 pm

autumnan wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:09 pm
Good footage - great to see the 50 yr-olds moshing and crowd surfing! :thumb: Doing my homework, the Palladium is a similar size to Brixton Academy (currently closed after 2 people died in a crush). Now, if only they would come to Koko or Shepherd's Bush for a festival warm up this summer... :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I have to admit, Josh does make some appropriately face-melt tones up there, and he's getting a lot of the signature notes in. The guitars have historical reference in Janes too, which is a nice visual touch (...on the subject of Strats, DN has a white one in the Mt Song video).

He needs to wind his strap up a bit though. It could help finesse some of his leads if he wasn't hunched over with his arms at full stretch. When he has to do large position shifts, or land a phrase that ties off a fast lick, that's when he seems to lose his way.

Excellent setlists. Not sure that’s a Strat in the Mountain Song video.

Josh isn’t gonna nail the licks even with Steely Dan strap placement. He gets some, other entire parts are fuckin atrocities. Oh well.

CaseyContrarian

#222 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:05 pm

bman wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:59 am
Three Days. Josh is good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZjBJHRq_O8
He completely fucks up the clean arpeggios in the intro. It’s embarrassing.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#223 Post by Hokahey » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:27 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:05 pm
bman wrote:

And then goes on to completely nail the rest of the song for the most part. You’re being ridiculously hard on him. Troy also had his moments where he would fuck up. These are big shoes to fill and I’m sure if Josh were to stick around for a while those little mistakes would get cleaned up. In the meantime, I think he’s doing an admirable job and bringing some great energy to the band.

someguy

#224 Post by someguy » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:00 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:27 pm
CaseyContrarian wrote:
bman wrote:

And then goes on to completely nail the rest of the song for the most part. You’re being ridiculously hard on him. Troy also had his moments where he would fuck up. These are big shoes to fill and I’m sure if Josh were to stick around for a while those little mistakes would get cleaned up. In the meantime, I think he’s doing an admirable job and bringing some great energy to the band.
He struggled mightily at the beginning of his tenure with RHCP- once he got his legs under him he was great.

He’s only going to get better once he gets more reps and acclimated with the songs, and he’s in a far better place with them than he was with RHCP songs in 2011

Noonesshocking

#225 Post by Noonesshocking » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:02 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:27 pm
CaseyContrarian wrote:
bman wrote:

Yeah I'm not getting some of this Josh bashing. He's faithful to the parts and JA vibe while sounding like himself. It all feels pretty authentic to me.

Troy was awesome too, but you could tell there were a few songs he didn't really know and kind of hacked his way through (see: Up the Beach, BCS). Some of that probably had a lot to do with the short amount of time to prep. We should do a thread where we compare who we prefer song by song :bigrin: