JA March 2023 Tour Thread

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
CaseyContrarian

Re: JA March 2023 Tour Thread

#226 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:58 pm

For whatever reason, Josh and Troy both unlocked Ocean Size. That song has crushed pretty much every night on this whole bizzaro reunion. And no matter what, there’s no doubt that Eric, Perk and Perry are a real band again. That’s exciting.

CaseyContrarian

#227 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:06 pm

Josh’s noise bits sound good on Kettle Whistle, and it all jives with the band really well.

CaseyContrarian

#228 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:14 pm

And he did a really really good job on the Three Days solo at the Palladium.

bman

#229 Post by bman » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:31 pm

Jane's is and has always been a sloppy band. The reason why it sounds good now is bc Josh/Troy are not trying to nail the sound. No offense to Dave but there's nothing sloppy about his playing 😂 lol! He doesn't miss a note. The guitar and bass sound fucking fresh right now and that's a good thing in JA land.

Diabolik

#230 Post by Diabolik » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:25 pm

Also

I’m sure they could have gotten some whoever to play note for note exactly what Dave did

But they obviously didn’t go that route.

You get a guy like Josh when — you want a friendly face, whose not gonna have any issues, who can legit play, and I suspect who can contribute to things when your original guitarist seems to be dealing with massive issues.

He’s played 3 full shows

And the SP tour he only played like 4 songs a night.

Dude is killing it given the weirdo circumstances

phenobarb_bambalam

#231 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:55 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:05 pm

He completely fucks up the clean arpeggios in the intro. It’s embarrassing.
Some of us don't know what an arpeggio is (I do, kind of).
Some of us don't give a fuck what an arpeggios is (I don't).
We listen, we don't dissect - we feel and it feels fucking good.
So well done for having a boner for shitting on someone a number of landmark artists have trusted for almost two decades with their work and legacies; there's no fucking embarassment, other than the shit you shovel.
Contrarian indeed, bravo.

Juan%

#232 Post by Juan% » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:03 pm

phenobarb_bambalam wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:55 pm
CaseyContrarian wrote:

So well done for having a boner for shitting on someone a number of landmark artists have trusted for almost two decades with their work and legacies; there's no fucking embarassment, other than the shit you shovel.
Thanks for saying this. I couldn’t have said it better. Dude is killing it!!!! I’m sure all of us who play, can only dream of doing what he is doing. I know I do. The show was unreal.

dannyboy

#233 Post by dannyboy » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:26 am

I think that’s the best live version of Obvious that I ever heard. There’s an energy here that they’ve never had before.
I’m more excited about seeing this line up than OG, although I do like Japhy’s idea of a five-piece with Josh.

rickpoet

#234 Post by rickpoet » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:38 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:50 pm
I'm curious what people who've seen these few shows think of L.A. Witch. I really like their albums but I'm not sure if their tunes translates well live without sounding too same-y.
I'm really digging them. Listened to both studio albums after Bakersfield. I do think they are a little less polished live and without being a bit more familiar with their work it was hard to enjoy them at the Palladium as much as I was looking forward to seeing them again.. But the studio albums are pretty dreamy and very "LA" sounding. I had visions of walking around Melrose in the 80's while listening to them.

Also, although I didn't really like Damnage so much (They managed to say "Fuck you" and "We love you guys" to the audience in the same sentence at the Palladium) props to both opening bands for keeping the sets tight and doing their own setup and breakdown.

eye

#235 Post by eye » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:53 am

dannyboy wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:26 am
I think that’s the best live version of Obvious that I ever heard. There’s an energy here that they’ve never had before.
I’m more excited about seeing this line up than OG, although I do like Japhy’s idea of a five-piece with Josh.

It’s just the last half no?

Is there a recording of the full song? I’ve always loved that bass line and Dave’s psychedelic, space guitar… something he hasn’t really touched on since (in Jane’s)

SR

#236 Post by SR » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:50 am

someguy wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:00 pm
Hokahey wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:27 pm
CaseyContrarian wrote:
bman wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:59 am
Three Days. Josh is good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZjBJHRq_O8
And then goes on to completely nail the rest of the song for the most part. You’re being ridiculously hard on him. Troy also had his moments where he would fuck up. These are big shoes to fill and I’m sure if Josh were to stick around for a while those little mistakes would get cleaned up. In the meantime, I think he’s doing an admirable job and bringing some great energy to the band.
He struggled mightily at the beginning of his tenure with RHCP- once he got his legs under him he was great.
So true. I am a fierce RHCP fan and a rabid one for Froosh. I was pretty crushed that JK had, at best, misunderstood the spirit of the parts, but managed to put the band into a state of very serious live retrograde. It looked unsalvageable. I took my kiddo and a bunch of his friends to the IWY show as a HS grad present. I had to take solace in the fact they didn't give a fuck and loved the music and the moment. By JK's own admission he hadn't been a guitarist in quite some time, but he took the time and got better, but more importantly found a way to groove the Froosh songs while inserting a bit of himself. And his creative contributions to the band were fantastic (even if they weren't appreciated by AK and their fan base). At the time, I was spending some time with AK through a mutual friend which included a couple of weeks in Kauai. He was pretty rattled by JF's departure and was surprisingly open in his disdain. I'm not sure JK ever had a chance there.

SR

#237 Post by SR » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:11 am

CaseyContrarian wrote:

I don't know how double C listens to music, but I like reading his takes on 3.0. Kinda ironic that they are so emotional while based in the technical. Part of my initial attraction to Jane's was their serious revolt on what should be. All of it, including the DN magic, seemed both determined and whimsical simultaneously. Decades later I'm seeing some of that playfulness again, and it's cool. Listening to the new players, I can't say I don't get sucker punched while waiting on a part where I want to hear a certain note or whatever, but all in all these new guys are throwin down hard and it works in the feels department. And any allusions to Steely Dan are awesome :lol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#238 Post by Hokahey » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:44 am

dannyboy wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:26 am
It is a new and different energy for sure. I think it’s the energy of realizing the time left to remove the tarnish has severely dwindled. And what’s going on with Dave is likely just adding to it. This is the energy of embarking on a final opportunity. And while being new, I think it still feels a bit like 1.0 because back then they knew the band wasn’t long for this world and behaved like it, where as now they know they themselves are not long for this world. A sort of finale party both times.

Noonesshocking

#239 Post by Noonesshocking » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:46 am

SR wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:50 am
someguy wrote:
Hokahey wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:
bman wrote:

And then goes on to completely nail the rest of the song for the most part. You’re being ridiculously hard on him. Troy also had his moments where he would fuck up. These are big shoes to fill and I’m sure if Josh were to stick around for a while those little mistakes would get cleaned up. In the meantime, I think he’s doing an admirable job and bringing some great energy to the band.
He struggled mightily at the beginning of his tenure with RHCP- once he got his legs under him he was great.
So true. I am a fierce RHCP fan and a rabid one for Froosh. I was pretty crushed that JK had, at best, misunderstood the spirit of the parts, but managed to put the band into a state of very serious live retrograde. It looked unsalvageable. I took my kiddo and a bunch of his friends to the IWY show as a HS grad present. I had to take solace in the fact they didn't give a fuck and loved the music and the moment. By JK's own admission he hadn't been a guitarist in quite some time, but he took the time and got better, but more importantly found a way to groove the Froosh songs while inserting a bit of himself. And his creative contributions to the band were fantastic (even if they weren't appreciated by AK and their fan base). At the time, I was spending some time with AK through a mutual friend which included a couple of weeks in Kauai. He was pretty rattled by JF's departure and was surprisingly open in his disdain. I'm not sure JK ever had a chance there.
I think I remember you mentioning something like that a long time ago. Are you saying that at the time he was also open about not being satisfied with JK in the band? That would be surprising to me

CaseyContrarian

#240 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:56 am

CaseyContrarian wrote:

I don’t give a shit what the name of a thing is. I’m using terminology because it exists. I give a shit about essential parts being fucking mangled.

There are tons of middling guitar players. They shouldn’t be in Jane’s. I understand all the reasons Josh is in Jane’s but he still isn’t good enough. I will compliment him when he deserves it, as I did several times.

I m thrilled Jane’s is back, thrilled with the power radiating from the core, pissed at the weak sauce guitar situation. So fucking what?

CaseyContrarian

#241 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:00 am

SR wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:11 am
CaseyContrarian wrote:

I don't know how double C listens to music, but I like reading his takes on 3.0. Kinda ironic that they are so emotional while based in the technical. Part of my initial attraction to Jane's was their serious revolt on what should be. All of it, including the DN magic, seemed both determined and whimsical simultaneously. Decades later I'm seeing some of that playfulness again, and it's cool. Listening to the new players, I can't say I don't get sucker punched while waiting on a part where I want to hear a certain note or whatever, but all in all these new guys are throwin down hard and it works in the feels department. And any allusions to Steely Dan are awesome :lol:
Good points. Bottom line, Navarro is rare because, while he’s a technical player in some regards, his best aspect in Jane’s is a passionate, occasionally wild mix of exotic/erotic musicality. Like, his controlled feedback on Ted is musical. Josh’s isn’t. Josh doesn’t fuck.

CaseyContrarian

#242 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:03 am

Juan% wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:03 pm
CaseyContrarian wrote:

Thanks for saying this. I couldn’t have said it better. Dude is killing it!!!! I’m sure all of us who play, can only dream of doing what he is doing. I know I do. The show was unreal.
Are you kidding? I could hit it having not played a Jane’s song in 20 years. Maybe I’ll zoom it later, lol

SR

#243 Post by SR » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:18 am

Noonesshocking wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:46 am
SR wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:50 am
someguy wrote:
Hokahey wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:
bman wrote:

I think I remember you mentioning something like that a long time ago. Are you saying that at the time he was also open about not being satisfied with JK in the band? That would be surprising to me
No. He never mentioned JK at all. In fact, at the time I'm not sure it was public that John had left again. I say that because I remember clearly I called Pete with the news because I thought he might be a good fit. What I do remember about AK was his clear irritation with John leaving calling him a "kook" among other things. He also stated that maintaining "relevance" was important to him. Fast forward to the mainly critical reception of the Klinghoffer era albums, the fact that the songs are ignored by the band now, and JK's instantaneous dismissal when Froosh was available, I just concluded that he wasn't valued. :noclue:

Juan%

#244 Post by Juan% » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:30 am

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:03 am
Juan% wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:

Are you kidding? I could hit it having not played a Jane’s song in 20 years. Maybe I’ll zoom it later, lol

Well, that’s awesome for you. Good thing there’s a message board for you to go to, since it’s not you, this time.

CaseyContrarian

#245 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:38 am

Juan% wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:30 am
CaseyContrarian wrote:
Juan% wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:

Well, that’s awesome for you. Good thing there’s a message board for you to go to, since it’s not you, this time.
I just want to be entertained by the guy who plays the parts properly. Aren’t you the dude who posted the sub-high school band and tried to pass it off as new Jane’s tracks?

This is what we do here. Make our passionate claims about what Jane’s should be or should have been after 30+ years of being denied one way or another. I’m sure you’ll survive, as will I. Have a good day.

Juan%

#246 Post by Juan% » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:44 am

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:38 am
Juan% wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:30 am
CaseyContrarian wrote:
Juan% wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:

I just want to be entertained by the guy who plays the parts properly. Aren’t you the dude who posted the sub-high school band and tried to pass it off as new Jane’s tracks?

This is what we do here. Make our passionate claims about what Jane’s should be or should have been after 30+ years of being denied one way or another. I’m sure you’ll survive, as will I. Have a good day.

No, I’m afraid that wasn’t me. It’s all good man. I, like all of us, am just fucking around. Good times. We all love Jane’s.🤘🏼

Tyler Durden

#247 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:48 am

I enjoyed listening to the RHCP albums that JK played on upon their release. But I haven’t really gone back to them. The minute Frusciante had left the band for a second time, I wanted Dave back with them. I would’ve been much happier with two followup albums to One Hot Minute than what we got with JK in the band.

Say what you will about Dave and what he has or hasn’t done during his career from the late 90s onward….but JK NEVER recorded anything close to what Dave did with the original era of Jane’s.

If Jane’s records without Dave, I’m all ears…but it won’t be Jane’s Addiction…just like how it wasn’t without Eric. You can argue that it may end up being closer than what they did without Eric…but it still won’t be Jane’s without the “original” four members.

Juan%

#248 Post by Juan% » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:13 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:48 am
I enjoyed listening to the RHCP albums that JK played on upon their release. But I haven’t really gone back to them. The minute Frusciante had left the band for a second time, I wanted Dave back with them. I would’ve been much happier with two followup albums to One Hot Minute than what we got with JK in the band.

Say what you will about Dave and what he has or hasn’t done during his career from the late 90s onward….but JK NEVER recorded anything close to what Dave did with the original era of Jane’s.

If Jane’s records without Dave, I’m all ears…but it won’t be Jane’s Addiction…just like how it wasn’t without Eric. You can argue that it may end up being closer than what they did without Eric…but it still won’t be Jane’s without the “original” four members.

I totally understand that. Even though, the band is a totally different thing, and was sort of more revolving, for a long time, I have never felt the same about QOTSA, since Nick left.

On the other hand, Dillinger Escape Plan, they changed ALOT, and as long as Ben was there, I always felt that they were DEP.

Weird how that is always different. Feeling. There are tons of back and forth examples that I think of.

SR

#249 Post by SR » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:49 am

Pretty sure this is a Jazzmaster. Interesting
Jazz.jpg
Jazz.jpg (72.65 KiB) Viewed 3279 times

ESY

#250 Post by ESY » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:25 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:48 am

I’m actually loving whatever this new thing is, bus without Dave, it’s not Jane’s. Would be like bauhaus without Daniel Ash.