Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: JA March 2023 Tour Thread

#351 Post by Hokahey » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:22 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:50 am
Artemis wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:59 am
Dave is a petite man. I guess for a guy that's not really a compliment, but he is small in build, height about about 5'4 or 5'5.
He's not THAT short.

I am 5'10" and the few times I met him he was always around my height. And that was before the giant lifted boots he wears now.

I'd say more like 5'9"
I’m also 5’10 and any time I stood next to them they were all shorter than me. Without lifts, Perry is taller than Dave. Look at any pic pre Strays. I’d guess Perry is 5’9 and Dave is at best 5’8. Or look at Dave and Flea together. Flea is 5’6. Dave looks at most 2 inches taller.

eye

#352 Post by eye » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:00 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:22 am
Six7Six7 wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Dave is a petite man. I guess for a guy that's not really a compliment, but he is small in build, height about about 5'4 or 5'5.
He's not THAT short.

I am 5'10" and the few times I met him he was always around my height. And that was before the giant lifted boots he wears now.

I'd say more like 5'9"
I’m also 5’10 and any time I stood next to them they were all shorter than me. Without lifts, Perry is taller than Dave. Look at any pic pre Strays. I’d guess Perry is 5’9 and Dave is at best 5’8. Or look at Dave and Flea together. Flea is 5’6. Dave looks at most 2 inches taller.
I'm 6'0 and I'm guessing Dave is 5'7..8?

I never met EA but i always assumed he's like 5'11.. 6'0?

Noonesshocking

#353 Post by Noonesshocking » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:07 pm

So it’s come to this - discussing how tall the band members are

eye

#354 Post by eye » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:12 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:07 pm
Haha .. I was waiting for this. *Fair enough

JOEinPHX

#355 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:23 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:
What's your favorite bootleg from 88?

Do you think Pete should join the band?

Artemis

#356 Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:08 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:
It's the height of hilarity.

dannyboy

#357 Post by dannyboy » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:31 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:23 pm
Noonesshocking wrote:
What's your favorite bootleg from 88?

Do you think Pete should join the band?
Those are some lofty ideas

Hokahey
Site Admin

#358 Post by Hokahey » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:48 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:
Quiet down. This is important.

JOEinPHX

#359 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:11 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:48 pm
Noonesshocking wrote:
Quiet down. This is important.

someguy

#360 Post by someguy » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:05 pm

One thing this board can unanimously agree on is that Dave has the sickest abs in the band

Hokahey
Site Admin

#361 Post by Hokahey » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:43 pm

someguy wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:05 pm
One thing this board can unanimously agree on is that Dave has the sickest abs in the band
He had Perry beat in their prime, but Perry was no slouch. And now I wouldn’t be surprised if Perry’s are better.

bman

#362 Post by bman » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:22 pm

This board is great..Happy St Patrick's Day.
I'm several Guinness in and trying to remember my favorite boot from '88 and wondering how tall Navarro is!!

CaseyContrarian

#363 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:43 pm

eye wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:00 pm
Hokahey wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:22 am
Six7Six7 wrote:
Artemis wrote:
He's not THAT short.

I'd say more like 5'9"
I'm 6'0 and I'm guessing Dave is 5'7..8?

I never met EA but i always assumed he's like 5'11.. 6'0?
I’m 5’8 and have met Dave a couple of times and he’s at least a couple of inches shorter than me. Eric is pretty tall. He towered over me when I was 19 and still towered over me however old I was in ‘08.

BUT WHAT IS THEIR FAVORITE COLOR

CaseyContrarian

#364 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:47 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Artemis wrote:
He's not THAT short.

I'd say more like 5'9"
I dunno, dude… I usually remember when guys are considerably shorter than me because it doesn’t happen all that often.

thoreau

#365 Post by thoreau » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:50 pm

Height perception always varies, but I'll throw my hat in. I'm 6' and the one time I met Dave briefly in-person (NINJA Tampa show), he seemed to be around the 5'9" range to me.

I've been on vacation with family the last few days and caught up on the thread tonight. Thanks for the laughs, all. :hehe:

eye

#366 Post by eye » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:46 am

I have the 3 days poem. How much is anyone willing to offer?

thoreau

#367 Post by thoreau » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:08 am

eye wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:46 am
:lol: Throwback from my lurker days

JOEinPHX

#368 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:54 am

eye wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:46 am
At this point that is worth about 8 bucks.

someguy

#369 Post by someguy » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:12 pm

Doesn’t look like they played anything new tonight. Pretty short set but maybe it’s not accurate
16F56F51-144E-4C4E-8F02-36F4A711CA7F.jpeg
16F56F51-144E-4C4E-8F02-36F4A711CA7F.jpeg (121.48 KiB) Viewed 3640 times

favorite 77

#370 Post by favorite 77 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:18 pm

Today I read in the press that Jane's would play at Lollapalooza in Argentina, today, the first song Perry and Eric wrote together when they got back together, the first one where they exchanged glances, as if to say, here's something. Perry specifies in the interview that he is not referring to True Love. For my part the expectation is at its peak.

someguy

#371 Post by someguy » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:43 pm

favorite 77 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:18 pm
Today I read in the press that Jane's would play at Lollapalooza in Argentina, today, the first song Perry and Eric wrote together when they got back together, the first one where they exchanged glances, as if to say, here's something. Perry specifies in the interview that he is not referring to True Love. For my part the expectation is at its peak.
Can you provide a link?

I found this too:

https://sonarfm.cl/sonar/show/entrevis ... addiction-

Talks a little about Dave. Confirms he’s not on the new songs and that Josh is recording with them

favorite 77

#372 Post by favorite 77 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:03 pm

I have been looking for a long time and I have not been able to find it. It was one of those links that appeared on my mobile and now I am unable to find it again. But I did find this interview in which Avery announces that in Buenos Aires you will be able to listen to new material.

https://www.clarin.com/espectaculos/mus ... zvApY.html

Noonesshocking

#373 Post by Noonesshocking » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:12 pm

favorite 77 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:03 pm
I have been looking for a long time and I have not been able to find it. It was one of those links that appeared on my mobile and now I am unable to find it again. But I did find this interview in which Avery announces that in Buenos Aires you will be able to listen to new material.

https://www.clarin.com/espectaculos/mus ... zvApY.html
Thanks for finding this! Would you be able to post the raw text even if it's not in english? A paywall keeps preventing me from copy and pasting into google translate.

favorite 77

#374 Post by favorite 77 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:49 pm

There was a song released in 1988 that was the first crossover of what was called college rock, a trend in which Jane's Addiction was a key player. The song, Pop Song 89 by R.E.M.'s "Should we talk about the weather? Should we talk about the government?" in its chorus.

Before Clarín's initial greeting to Perry Farrell and Eric Avery, who will be playing this Saturday at Lollapalooza with their band Jane's Addiction, they choose the weather variable.

"We're barbaric," assures Perry Farrell, "but I'll tell you, there were torrential rains around here, north of where we are in Monterey, and the county had heavy flooding but we're relatively safe here. How's the weather over there?" Farrell's eyes widened as he was converted from Wednesday's forty-degree wind chill to degrees Fahrenheit. "Well, I'd better not wear my winter jackets then."

This won't be Jane's Addiction's first time in Buenos Aires, but it will be their debut at the Buenos Aires Lollapalooza, which kicks off this Friday. A festival that was conceived by Perry Farrell as an augmented rock reality event that would serve as a framework for the first farewell of Jane's Addiction, who after two very successful albums, said goodbye in 1991.

Neither he would have foreseen that this extravaganza would eventually become one of the most important brands and that just by invoking its exotic name, it would generate movements in the ticket vending machines. More curiously: his own festival, now grown up, allows him to say hello to South American audiences instead of the initial goodbye.

Farrell laughs at the contradiction and accepts it. "Okay, at the time it was goodbye, and it was true. But young men grow into men and, fortunately, gain understanding and wisdom. I personally believe that Lollapalooza is today one of the great vehicles that musicians have. A young man or woman can go there and conquer a real audience that will accompany them throughout a whole career, if not a whole life.

And he adds: "Someone who is used to playing in small clubs can find a bigger stage at Lolla and prove himself in front of an audience of twenty thousand people, which can grow to eighty thousand as the hours go by. And because there are multiple stages there is something for everyone. For me it's like a beautiful vehicle, like a car or a plane in constant evolution. It's like a space rocket."

Eric Avery nods at his bandmate's words, but finds a different explanation: "I think Lollapalooza can be described poetically, and I like to think of it as the New Orleans of festivals. It's colorful, diverse and colorful. I think for you, the audience, it should be like a celebration of renewal."

One could draw a parallel between what Lollapalooza is and what the college rock movement was in the mid-'80s; a series of different and alternative scenes that began to cohere when U.S. college campus radio stations began to seduce audiences outside the walls, who were fed up with Michael Jackson, Madonna and Lionel Richie.

Groups like the aforementioned R.E.M., Sonic Youth or Pixies were bringing new sounds, more raw and earthy than the hyper-produced superstars of '80s music. That configuration was growing until Billboard agreed to create them a ranking of their own in 1988, Modern Rock Tracks, and mainstream radio started to play these rare new sounds.

Names like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Faith No More and Jane's Addiction appeared in the stream of expansion. They were another little California band led by a fledgling Perry Farrell who played explosive shows in Los Angeles clubs and after an independent live album got access to a major label for their first studio album, Nothing's Shocking. The second, Ritual of the Habitual (1990), would make them superstars.
"Today it's a very modern band."

The four first riders were Farrell, bassist Eric Avery, drummer Stephen Perkins (still with them), and guitarist Dave Navarro, who was momentarily replaced for this tour by Josh Klinghoffer, who in turn supplanted John Frusciante in the Red Hot Chili Peppers for ten years.

Jane's Addiction disbanded in 1991, but returned from inactivity on several occasions with renewed cast or not. It seems more like a ghost than a band that today is defined by other parameters. "Measuring the health of a band," says Farrell, "by whether they make a new record or not, is an old parameter. I would say that today, Jane's Addiction is a very modern band."

"What's more," interjects Avery, "I would tell you that what defines Jane's Addiction today is the music more than the people who play it. We are constantly working on new material and in Buenos Aires you will be able to hear some of it".

"We're on the cutting edge," Farrell says; "the other days we were laughing with Eric comparing the effects we use now on stage with the ones we used when we started. How little idea we had of what we were doing! From a technical standpoint, we didn't know anything."

Perry adds, "It's all different now; I remember back then I would go to a pawn shop near me and buy things like a delay camera to experiment with my voice. But what I mostly bought were gadgets that looked nice, even if I didn't know what they were for. I thought they were going to look good on stage. Now I have a console designed especially for me, and that shows how far technology has come: they make the effects to measure".
Unstoppable

If art imitates nature, Perry Farrell thinks you can link Jane's Addiction to literature. "You look at life as if you were writing a novel. We basically have three moments; the beginning, the middle and the end. We're in the final act, which doesn't mean we're going to disappear: in the final act are all the explosions."

He explains, "What do I mean by that? That in Jane's Addiction, today, we can do whatever our heart tells us to do. We have no ties to the big record companies or to critical snobbery. We are no longer defined by whether we make a new record, because that's looking at our career through industry glasses, and we've really shattered those lenses, so now we have to proceed as artists. We do what our heart dictates, and as an artist there is no greater freedom than expressing yourself the way you want to. That makes you unstoppable.

Charly García was the one who spoke of the swell, of the waters that come and go while he was already part of something bigger: the sea. It is from that point of view where Perry Farrell analyzes the current circumstances of music and says goodbye with a prediction. "Nobody takes into account the fact that the world was at a standstill for almost three years. People expected things to go back to the way they were, but that can't be. Now we have this feeling that the storm has passed, but if we look back a little bit we can discover that musicians had almost three years to pick up their instruments and do new things."

He goes on to say: "The industrial idea of finding someone with a good ass and having a composer write songs for a 70 thousand dollar video has become obsolete. Today the music industry is organized in silos, and we are not part of that silo called pop music. We were never interested in getting a trophy for what we did. My advice to new bands is not to put your heart into things that are unimportant. What's important? It's making beautiful music that people can use as medicine for their soul."

And he concludes: "We are at the point where everything is a big experiment again, like democracy. During the pandemic, musicians became scientists, and experimented with their equipment, analog or digital. So in the next three years there's going to be a new explosion of musicians coming out, and we're going to be there, the older ones, to guide them. The next few years are going to be wonderful and maybe, this time, we will be able to transform the world. I call this era the Era of the Message. And now we will be able to spread the message of peace, love and brotherhood like never before. It's going to be amazing.

MFB

eye

#375 Post by eye » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:51 pm

someguy wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:43 pm
favorite 77 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:18 pm
Can you provide a link?

I found this too:

https://sonarfm.cl/sonar/show/entrevis ... addiction-

Talks a little about Dave. Confirms he’s not on the new songs and that Josh is recording with them
Well.. I guess Dave really is out