“Whores” in 2023

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Tyler Durden

“Whores” in 2023

#1 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:39 pm

Just curious, considering the cultural climate these days…is Perry still using the N word in this song?

Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: “Whores” in 2023

#2 Post by Hokahey » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:07 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:39 pm
Just curious, considering the cultural climate these days…is Perry still using the N word in this song?
No. He changed it to Triggers.

Noonesshocking

#3 Post by Noonesshocking » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:43 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:07 pm
Tyler Durden wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:39 pm
No. He changed it to Triggers.
Sometimes he also just does something like “I find my fun with the freaks and heh-huh…”, just basically singing something completely unintelligible which is kind of amusing like “yeah I got nothing for this”

ESY

#4 Post by ESY » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:56 pm

Saying Whores is ok, but niggers isn’t? It’s fucking stupid.

REA

#5 Post by REA » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:43 pm

Keep that woke BS out yo muthafuckn mouff :lol:

Could ya imagine if Ice T and Perry got up on the Lolla stage in Chicago and did their Don't Call Me Jam

phenobarb_bambalam

#6 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:58 pm

Can, meet worms.

Tyler Durden

#7 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:54 am

REA wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:43 pm
Hey, I just asked a question. Generation Microdose can go fuck themselves.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#8 Post by Hokahey » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:45 am

ESY wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:56 pm
Saying Whores is ok, but niggers isn’t? It’s fucking stupid.
You can’t be serious.

drwintercreeper

#9 Post by drwintercreeper » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:58 am

Generation Microdose can go fuck themselves.
This is funny.

VancouverRick

#10 Post by VancouverRick » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:39 am

The surreal part of our culture right now is how the majority are going along with a vocal minority on issues they don't believe in. I'm pretty sure it's not sustainable... we'll see.

With respect to Perry... he won't say the N word, but approves the low-brow simulated sex show his wife and her cohorts perform in front of the crowd. Doesn't fit with the whole "me too" vibe. I'd wager Eric Avery is a feminist-leaning dude (there's nothing more obnoxious than a dude who says: "As a feminist, I think ... " - would love to hear his thoughts on what's happening on the stage behind him.

Juan%

#11 Post by Juan% » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:21 am

REA wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:43 pm

Could ya imagine if Ice T and Perry got up on the Lolla stage in Chicago and did their Don't Call Me Jam
This would be EVERYTHING. Not because of the dumb climate stuff, but I remember seeing this as a kid live, and I love the original song to begin with, before that even. And I bet Ice would be into the idea…. It won’t happen, but it would be amazing!

Pandemonium

#12 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:06 pm

Ice T w/Body Count still plays Cop Killer to close out their set.

Tyler Durden

#13 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:21 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:06 pm
Ice T w/Body Count still plays Cop Killer to close out their set.
As it should be.

This track is so on point…

trevor ayer

#14 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:45 am

i thought body count was so cheezy when they came out but I got a couple live boots off G101 this last year and now I fuckin love them!!!

blackcoffee

#15 Post by blackcoffee » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:50 pm

VancouverRick wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:39 am
The surreal part of our culture right now is how the majority are going along with a vocal minority on issues they don't believe in. I'm pretty sure it's not sustainable... we'll see.

With respect to Perry... he won't say the N word, but approves the low-brow simulated sex show his wife and her cohorts perform in front of the crowd. Doesn't fit with the whole "me too" vibe. I'd wager Eric Avery is a feminist-leaning dude (there's nothing more obnoxious than a dude who says: "As a feminist, I think ... " - would love to hear his thoughts on what's happening on the stage behind him.
I'd argue a majority don't understand the difference between what's happening on stage and the cultural significance of the "N" word in the US. You're also making a false equivalence.

I too was curious about whether Perry was still using it, and I think in some of the shows he is, but I've also heard the mumble or "triggers" someone else mentioned.

elbuitre

#16 Post by elbuitre » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:38 am

I always felt Perry's use of the N-word alongside "freaks" was him deliberately using terms that those individuals identified with. They're society's outcasts and Perry's down there with them.

For anyone who wondered whether Perry was being racist, the lyrics to No One's Leaving surely removed any doubt. Still, it's probably the right call to stop singing the word.

Interesting that this wasn't a consideration as recently as the 2008 recording with Reznor. Just listened back to that for the first time in years. Doesn't do the song justice.

nestos

#17 Post by nestos » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:05 am

"Way down low where the streets are littered
I find my fun with the freaks and the triggers"

So much meaning lost, it's lame

VancouverRick

#18 Post by VancouverRick » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:41 am

elbuitre wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:38 am
Still, it's probably the right call to stop singing the word.
Based on what? As an artist or songwriter, what is your guiding principle(s) to how you create art?

I pay for Apple Music - most new music launched weekly is Rap/Urban and the "N" word flows freely and often. What principle informs that?

Perry and Perkins have kids. I'm assuming they don't want their kids to suffer by osmosis (think Woody Allen's adopted kids, for example) due to the purity of their art.

Perhaps going along to get along is the price you pay for wanting to play festivals, make money and retire without stress :noclue:

someguy

#19 Post by someguy » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:37 am

VancouverRick wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:41 am
Perhaps going along to get along is the price you pay for wanting to play festivals, make money and retire without stress :noclue:
As a professional musician where your only source of income is playing shows (publishing and recording are non factors)- not a price to pay. It’s all about “bleeding for your art” until you have a mortgage :noclue:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#20 Post by Hokahey » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:01 pm

VancouverRick wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:41 am
elbuitre wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:38 am
Still, it's probably the right call to stop singing the word.
Based on what? As an artist or songwriter, what is your guiding principle(s) to how you create art?

I pay for Apple Music - most new music launched weekly is Rap/Urban and the "N" word flows freely and often. What principle informs that?

Perry and Perkins have kids. I'm assuming they don't want their kids to suffer by osmosis (think Woody Allen's adopted kids, for example) due to the purity of their art.

Oh buddy. Did you really just use the “well then how come rappers can say it” argument?

The person oppressed by a word should have free rein to own and utilize it as they see fit. If you are not of that community, then you really shouldn’t, regardless of intent.

That said, has anyone ever questioned Perry’s intent? I think it’s well understood he’s using the term affectionately. He was identifying with the societal outcasts. That’s sort of the whole point of the song. It’s like a less on the nose Underground.

Regardless, times change. And if I were him I also wouldn’t sing the word. Why risk hurt to be “pure” to your art (yawn)? I doubt it’s about money. It’s about taking a more sensitive approach at a time when the people the word impacts are really asking for that.

VancouverRick

#21 Post by VancouverRick » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:04 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:01 pm

Oh buddy. Did you really just use the “well then how come rappers can say it” argument?

The person oppressed by a word should have free rein to own and utilize it as they see fit. If you are not of that community, then you really shouldn’t, regardless of intent.
Shouldn't... oh la la. Based on what? And how much oppression grants a group permission to use a derogatory slur? So Jews can use "Kike" - Hey Moshe, how was your Shabbat you fucking kike?" - because of pogroms, and Dachau... but a goy comedian can not because their relatives didn't burn, or something? Is that the standard?

Hokahey wrote:
Regardless, times change. And if I were him I also wouldn’t sing the word. Why risk hurt...
Why risk hurt? Dr. Jonathan Haidt has a few good reasons why, see: "The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure"

Hokahey
Site Admin

#22 Post by Hokahey » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:37 pm

VancouverRick wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:04 pm
Hokahey wrote:

Shouldn't... oh la la. Based on what? And how much oppression grants a group permission to use a derogatory slur? So Jews can use "Kike" - Hey Moshe, how was your Shabbat you fucking kike?" - because of pogroms, and Dachau... but a goy comedian can not because their relatives didn't burn, or something? Is that the standard?

Hokahey wrote:
Regardless, times change. And if I were him I also wouldn’t sing the word. Why risk hurt...
Why risk hurt? Dr. Jonathan Haidt has a few good reasons why, see: "The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure"
Shouldn’t based on decency. This isn’t hard. You know damn well the words and language of oppression, and if you choose to be offended that you can’t use them when others can then you are a bigger snowflake than the people you undoubtedly use that word towards. Deal with it.

And regarding the current generation of children - My children know better than to do or say things intentionally that would likely hurt someone. And yet, they’re smarter, stronger and are already more successful academically than I ever was. They will undoubtedly prove to be more capable adults as well. This notion of “kids today” (fill in the blank) is an old codger position as old as time itself. It’s the squawking of a dying generation, angry that the youngest generation dare highlight their mistakes and demand better. Failure does not seem to be in my children’s lexicon. But neither do the words that hurt others.

VancouverRick

#23 Post by VancouverRick » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:33 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:37 pm
And regarding the current generation of children - My children know better
Well, well... if Hokahey's children know better...

I'm not going to inundate this post with links to journal articles about the mental health situation amongst teens and young adults. Suffice it to say Hokahey, you're either living in a cave, or full of shit.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#24 Post by Hokahey » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:56 pm

VancouverRick wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:33 pm
Hokahey wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:37 pm
And regarding the current generation of children - My children know better
Well, well... if Hokahey's children know better...

I'm not going to inundate this post with links to journal articles about the mental health situation amongst teens and young adults. Suffice it to say Hokahey, you're either living in a cave, or full of shit.
Post whatever you care to. If it’s that our kids are now too “soft” or “coddled” I’ll happily post equally or more credible articles refuting that claim.

I will not disagree that there is a mental health situation amongst our children however. And how could there not be? Look at the state of the world we’ve left for them? And yet old men want to argue it’s just because they’re soft or coddled. It couldn’t have anything to do with having to watch the rise of fascism in America, a fear of being shot every day at school, worries about a dying planet, seeing conservatives demonize and threaten the existence of their friends that are bold enough to declare their true gender or sexuality. Right? They’re just snowflakes that think white people shouldn’t say the N word. Buncha wusses I tells ya!

And my kids are simply an anecdotal example, yet I believe are representative of todays youth. Socially conscious, unaccepting of outdated mentalities that hurt, yet stronger than we ever were for having to deal with the shit pile we put them in.

But go on. Say how fucked up and weak our youth is. Just like your dad said about you. And his dad about him. And his dad about him…

phenobarb_bambalam

#25 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:58 pm

VancouverRick wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:33 pm
I'm not going to inundate this post with links to journal articles about the mental health situation amongst teens and young adults.
At least that would stand a chance of being an upgrade on the rest of the bullshit you seem to have brewing.