What are the songs you would like to hear covered by JA ?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
nestos

What are the songs you would like to hear covered by JA ?

#1 Post by nestos » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:00 am

No need to remind how good JA is/was/has been to cover classic songs... Rock'n'roll, Sympathy, Ripple, Don't Call Me and a few live takes all speak for themselves.

Also, I personally always found a kind of continuity between JA and the long history of rock'n'roll (from the glorious seventies, to punk, post-punk new wave and goth, nwobhm, etc.).

When JA came out, I remember thinking it was a kind of fusion of them all (Led Zep and The Cure as obvious examples). JA was reconciliating the broken pieces of a whole thing, connecting things that went separated ways in the late 70's and it was great. And perfecftly done.

For whatever reason, I find something familiar with Iron Maiden's Wrathchild in Mountain song. I could not exactly say why (bass-centric stuff for sure). Pigs In Zen is based on a riff that you can find in many places (even in ZZ Top's Fandango! from what I remember).

All that to say that I just gave a listen to Iron Maiden's Killers album a few moments ago. I must say I usually don't come back to this band, at least I didn't during the last -let's say- 40 years (since I was a child/young teenager). And listening to Prodigal Son, the connexion seemed obvious (musically speaking, not talking about the lyrics).

Does it make sense ? I don't know. But I could hear JA covering it.

What would be your call ? Are there any songs that you would suggest JA to cover ?

HiHeHo

Re: What are the songs you would like to hear covered by JA ?

#2 Post by HiHeHo » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:21 pm

The Panic Channel
Teahouse of the Spirits

:banana: :banana:

Juan%

#3 Post by Juan% » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:30 pm

I don’t know, that’s interesting….?

Vortex Surfer by Motorpsycho would be weird and maybe cool.

EaSY

#4 Post by EaSY » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:11 pm

Always thought something by the Cure would be a great fit, especially Lullaby.

dannyboy

#5 Post by dannyboy » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:49 pm

EaSY wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:11 pm
I was thinking The Cure too

Moschops

#6 Post by Moschops » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:48 am

EaSY wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:11 pm
It’ll never happen but I always thought that Fascination Street would be a good fit for a Jane’s cover. I’d love to hear Eric banging out that huge bassline and Dave layering spacey guitars on top of it…

Artemis

#7 Post by Artemis » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 am

I've always thought the Stones' song "Miss You"xwould be a good one for JA to cover.

Steely Dan- Do It Again

Echo and the Bunnymen- Lips like Sugar

One that Perry+ Etty could do together is 'You Don't Bring Me Flowers' (Barbra+ Neil) :lol:

bman

#8 Post by bman » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:39 am

Isolation or Digital by Joy Division.

Juan%

#9 Post by Juan% » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:23 am

nestos wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:00 am
No need to remind how good JA is/was/has been to cover classic songs... Rock'n'roll, Sympathy, Ripple, Don't Call Me and a few live takes all speak for themselves.

Also, I personally always found a kind of continuity between JA and the long history of rock'n'roll (from the glorious seventies, to punk, post-punk new wave and goth, nwobhm, etc.).

When JA came out, I remember thinking it was a kind of fusion of them all (Led Zep and The Cure as obvious examples). JA was reconciliating the broken pieces of a whole thing, connecting things that went separated ways in the late 70's and it was great. And perfecftly done.

For whatever reason, I find something familiar with Iron Maiden's Wrathchild in Mountain song. I could not exactly say why (bass-centric stuff for sure). Pigs In Zen is based on a riff that you can find in many places (even in ZZ Top's Fandango! from what I remember).

All that to say that I just gave a listen to Iron Maiden's Killers album a few moments ago. I must say I usually don't come back to this band, at least I didn't during the last -let's say- 40 years (since I was a child/young teenager). And listening to Prodigal Son, the connexion seemed obvious (musically speaking, not talking about the lyrics).

Does it make sense ? I don't know. But I could hear JA covering it.

What would be your call ? Are there any songs that you would suggest JA to cover ?

I had to dig Killers out…. Yeah, I hear it. That would be great!

Easton

#10 Post by Easton » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:43 am

I once dreamt that I went to a Jane's concert and they covered Purple Rain. Perry butchered it (apparently even in my dreams he's hit-or-miss :p) but Dave nailed the solo.

I watched Oliver Stone's The Doors a couple of months ago and that go wondering if a similar type of biopic would work for Jane's and how a version of The End by Perry and the boys would sound.

favorite 77

#11 Post by favorite 77 » Wed May 08, 2024 3:07 pm

A song that I always imagined being covered by Jane's is Generation Landslide of Alice Cooper Group.

One of my musical wet dreams has always been a Jane's cover album. They had the ability to make any song they tackled shine. It would be wonderful to hear them tackle some songs from Led Zeppelin III or the debut Broken Home, a forgotten 80's album that had in Dicken, their singer, someone who could very well have been an inspiration for the early Perry. Listen to songs like Stop Looking At Me, Mona Lisa, Run Away From Home or China In Your Heart and tell me they wouldn't work wonderfully with Perry's timbre.