What are the songs you would like to hear covered by JA ?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
nestos

What are the songs you would like to hear covered by JA ?

#1 Post by nestos » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:00 am

No need to remind how good JA is/was/has been to cover classic songs... Rock'n'roll, Sympathy, Ripple, Don't Call Me and a few live takes all speak for themselves.

Also, I personally always found a kind of continuity between JA and the long history of rock'n'roll (from the glorious seventies, to punk, post-punk new wave and goth, nwobhm, etc.).

When JA came out, I remember thinking it was a kind of fusion of them all (Led Zep and The Cure as obvious examples). JA was reconciliating the broken pieces of a whole thing, connecting things that went separated ways in the late 70's and it was great. And perfecftly done.

For whatever reason, I find something familiar with Iron Maiden's Wrathchild in Mountain song. I could not exactly say why (bass-centric stuff for sure). Pigs In Zen is based on a riff that you can find in many places (even in ZZ Top's Fandango! from what I remember).

All that to say that I just gave a listen to Iron Maiden's Killers album a few moments ago. I must say I usually don't come back to this band, at least I didn't during the last -let's say- 40 years (since I was a child/young teenager). And listening to Prodigal Son, the connexion seemed obvious (musically speaking, not talking about the lyrics).

Does it make sense ? I don't know. But I could hear JA covering it.

What would be your call ? Are there any songs that you would suggest JA to cover ?

HiHeHo

Re: What are the songs you would like to hear covered by JA ?

#2 Post by HiHeHo » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:21 pm

The Panic Channel
Teahouse of the Spirits

:banana: :banana:

Juan%

#3 Post by Juan% » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:30 pm

I don’t know, that’s interesting….?

Vortex Surfer by Motorpsycho would be weird and maybe cool.

EaSY

#4 Post by EaSY » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:11 pm

Always thought something by the Cure would be a great fit, especially Lullaby.

dannyboy

#5 Post by dannyboy » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:49 pm

EaSY wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:11 pm
I was thinking The Cure too

Moschops

#6 Post by Moschops » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:48 am

EaSY wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:11 pm
It’ll never happen but I always thought that Fascination Street would be a good fit for a Jane’s cover. I’d love to hear Eric banging out that huge bassline and Dave layering spacey guitars on top of it…

Artemis

#7 Post by Artemis » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 am

I've always thought the Stones' song "Miss You"xwould be a good one for JA to cover.

Steely Dan- Do It Again

Echo and the Bunnymen- Lips like Sugar

One that Perry+ Etty could do together is 'You Don't Bring Me Flowers' (Barbra+ Neil) :lol:

bman

#8 Post by bman » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:39 am

Isolation or Digital by Joy Division.

Juan%

#9 Post by Juan% » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:23 am

nestos wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:00 am
No need to remind how good JA is/was/has been to cover classic songs... Rock'n'roll, Sympathy, Ripple, Don't Call Me and a few live takes all speak for themselves.

Also, I personally always found a kind of continuity between JA and the long history of rock'n'roll (from the glorious seventies, to punk, post-punk new wave and goth, nwobhm, etc.).

When JA came out, I remember thinking it was a kind of fusion of them all (Led Zep and The Cure as obvious examples). JA was reconciliating the broken pieces of a whole thing, connecting things that went separated ways in the late 70's and it was great. And perfecftly done.

For whatever reason, I find something familiar with Iron Maiden's Wrathchild in Mountain song. I could not exactly say why (bass-centric stuff for sure). Pigs In Zen is based on a riff that you can find in many places (even in ZZ Top's Fandango! from what I remember).

All that to say that I just gave a listen to Iron Maiden's Killers album a few moments ago. I must say I usually don't come back to this band, at least I didn't during the last -let's say- 40 years (since I was a child/young teenager). And listening to Prodigal Son, the connexion seemed obvious (musically speaking, not talking about the lyrics).

Does it make sense ? I don't know. But I could hear JA covering it.

What would be your call ? Are there any songs that you would suggest JA to cover ?

I had to dig Killers out…. Yeah, I hear it. That would be great!

Easton

#10 Post by Easton » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:43 am

I once dreamt that I went to a Jane's concert and they covered Purple Rain. Perry butchered it (apparently even in my dreams he's hit-or-miss :p) but Dave nailed the solo.

I watched Oliver Stone's The Doors a couple of months ago and that go wondering if a similar type of biopic would work for Jane's and how a version of The End by Perry and the boys would sound.