Hypersonic
5%
To Match The Sun
No votes

Total votes: 41

imail724

Favorite (if any) Strays song?

#1 Post by imail724 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:43 pm

I'm just curious, because after listening to Hypersonic I remembered that I don't necessarily hate that song. So does anyone else have any songs on Strays they don't hate or even think are good? I left Superhero off the pole because it only allows ten and nobody likes Superhero. I'm assuming most will pick Just Because, because I don't really hate that song either, but let's see...

Deconstruction

Re: Favorite (if any) Strays song?

#2 Post by Deconstruction » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:06 pm

True Nature, song rocks hard. I hate the music video for it though.

Larry B.

#3 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:10 pm

I love the verses on Price I Pay, yet I dislike the bridge and that idiotic outro.

I like the vibe of Wrong Girl, but the solo section blows my balls.

The only song I like and that to me has no weak parts, is Everybody's Friend. It's the only song that has nothing I hate.

imail724

#4 Post by imail724 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:15 pm

Really? Even when this album first came out and I liked it for a little while, I HATED Everybody's Friend.. like... worse than Superhero even. :jasper:

JOEinPHX

#5 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:32 pm

Just Because is still the standout track for me. It's balls to the wall rock n roll.

Easton

#6 Post by Easton » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:38 pm

There are actually quite a few songs on Strays that I dig, but Just Because is probably my favorite (although these days I have a thing for To Match The Sun).

JOEinPHX

#7 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:39 pm

Easton wrote:There are actually quite a few songs on Strays that I dig, but Just Because is probably my favorite (although these days I have a thing for To Match The Sun).
i dig that one too.

imail724

#8 Post by imail724 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:43 pm

I thought everyone hated TMTS. I remember when we first heard that snippet of IF on that Sony youtube video thing, so many people were worried it would be the next TMTS.

Kajicat

#9 Post by Kajicat » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:25 pm

I voted "Price I Pay". Honestly, I don't know why everyone gets such a boner for "Just Because"...it just screams radio single to me, and I don't understand why everyone praises Dave's guitar work. Sure, the guitar riff is different sounding, but it's also practically grating to my ears when played at high volume! :know: And for the record, Perry's "WHEN WE FIRST MET!!!" line in "Just Because" is waaaaaay worse than his "CLOTH RIGHT O-VER MY FACE!!!" line in "Price I Pay".

I actually really like Strays, as it's a solid rock album in my eyes. Obviously it can't match a real Jane's album, but for what it is, it's excellent.

I'd rank the songs from fav to least fav in this order:
1. Price I Pay
2. True Nature
3. Strays
4. Wong Girl
5. Suffer Some
6. To Match The Sun
7. Everybody's Friend
8. Just Because
9. The Riches
10. Hypersonic
11. Super Hero

Yeah for some reason I've never liked Hypersonic. It HAS grown on me over the years, but...I dunno. :noclue:

cabangbangq

#10 Post by cabangbangq » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:14 pm

I think Strays, the song, is pretty great. With the exception of the lame solo, this song sounds like something out of Jane's 1.0 to me

tubro

#11 Post by tubro » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:33 pm

cabangbangq wrote:I think Strays, the song, is pretty great. With the exception of the lame solo, this song sounds like something out of Jane's 1.0 to me
that's pretty much my feeling on the matter.

to me, there are more than a few decent songs on Strays, and a few good ones, but it was so uneven and so littered with almost unlistenable songs, that it was hard to enjoy as a JA album, since every note of each of their other 3 albums flowed into a singular body of genius.

strays (the song) is a little special for me because when hyperleaked hit, it was the first thing i heard and for the first minute, i had goosebumps. the UTB intro and spacey second part of the intro was, and still is, really great. then, when they played irving plaza before the album came out and played that, it was pretty epic.

context is necessary here - JA 1.0 seemed never again to be, relapse was entertaining as hell, p4p had had many great moments, particularly live, so that, at that time, particularly after the kettle whistle opening 2001 tour, perry was still a cool shaman party president type whose live shows were, for me, not to be missed. **

sort of downhill from there in the strays cycle and the perry farrell cycle, but just because is pretty rocking in their current set, and i guess that's that. (well, that plus superhero on nye shows and assorted other rich guy private shows and bar mitzvahs.)

**compare and contrast with next week's irving shows, 20 blocks away from where i'm typing this, which i'm still on the fence about because after seeing them at terminal 5, i'm just not sure there will be any new ground treaded on at these shows so it seems like a bit too much effort to get up there. (if i were a betting man, i'd bet on ending up going to one of them, but its just not an event, like Radiohead and X were a few weeks back. the bummer is the lowered expectations and the real chance that it'll be disappointing. there wasn't any doubt that X would kill, and they did, and while there was a chance radiohead would be too weird to maintain their well earned reputation as great and great live, it sure as hell wouldn't be because they mailed it in and relied on old songs and old tricks. )

Larry B.

#12 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:51 pm

cabangbangq wrote:I think Strays, the song, is pretty great. With the exception of the lame solo, this song sounds like something out of Jane's 1.0 to me
:nod:

Tyler Durden

#13 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:24 pm

The Riches, followed by Price I Pay.

Fitzy

#14 Post by Fitzy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:34 pm

I actually think The Riches is really cool. That slamming drum breakdown, those bouncy verses and the weird, slow outro with that haunting, echo-y guitar - definitely sounds like I'd imagine a latter day Jane's track to logically sound like.

And speaking of, True Nature is pretty much the epitome of that idea, and my favorite song on Strays. I love it, especially that interesting warped "bell noise" that hits before the chorus. It's probably something else, but that's the best way I can describe it.

Otherwise, there's not much I dig on Strays... but it has its moments. The Riches and True Nature are definitely the highlights for me. Just Because does have a big, glittering sorta charm, but it doesn't sway and surge like True Nature does. It more lumbers around like a rock dinosaur.

Warped

#15 Post by Warped » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:26 pm

This is funny cause i listened to Strays the last week - maybe to compare the new album with it. Well i guess this time is over now :lol:

Fave tunes are The Riches, True Nature, Everbody's friend (my son loves that one), Just because (accoustic)

I also saw them performing the Strays ones live and they came along really good. Very powerful.

Deconstruction

#16 Post by Deconstruction » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:42 pm

It's really a bummer they don't play more songs from Strays, it'd give them a longer and more balanced setlist. Play 3 Strays songs rather than just 1 or 2, like: Just Because, True Nature, and Superhero (even if you hate it, you know they're going to play it because of how well known it is, I'd prefer the title track or Price I Pay though). Do 3 songs from Strays and 4 or 5 new ones along with the old songs, and I would be willing to drive up to LA and pay top dollar to see them again.

Bandit72

#17 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:15 am

Tyler Durden wrote:The Riches, followed by Price I Pay.
Same for me.

I just don't 'get' Just Because.

imail724

#18 Post by imail724 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:38 pm

Where can I hear the original Suffer Some?

creep
Site Admin

#19 Post by creep » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:52 pm

imail724 wrote:Where can I hear the original Suffer Some?
here is a recording of a rehearsal where they played it in feb of 86

not great quality but here it is

http://soundcloud.com/user7279338/track-no01

imail724

#20 Post by imail724 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:53 pm

thanks!

ThenSheDid

#21 Post by ThenSheDid » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:09 pm

I don't think strays was bad at all. It was for sure a modern rock record...nothing wrong with that though. This is better than TGEA imo...

NYRexall

#22 Post by NYRexall » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:34 am

True Nature, though I prefer the 5-minute demo version over the polished album track.

And that's what kind of deathblows Strays for me, much like Warped did with One Hot Minute: they lead off the album with the best (read: my favourite) song, and the rest of the album can't measure up to it in my eyes. I hate when that happens.

A lot of you have your face in the tits for Underground on TGEA, which alarms me as well. Is the curse of modern-Jane's albums going to rear its ugly head consecutively once I finally listen to the new album?

*shudders*

cursed male

#23 Post by cursed male » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:05 am

'True Nature' (the leaked 'Hypersonic' LP version) and 'Everybody's Friend'. That said I never listen to the album anymore. I think of all the songs on the album 'Everybody's Friend' and 'To Macth the Sun' kinda sound most like actual JA songs to me. The spirit and the vibe of them remind me of the JA of old. There are some nice JA sounding bits and pieces here and there on the album but most of the songs are too plain hardrock-ish. For JA I mean.

True Nature (the leaked 'Hypersonic' LP version)

Warped

#24 Post by Warped » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:50 am

Thanks for putting that version up. It is so much better than the album one.

nestos

#25 Post by nestos » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:40 pm

Bandit72 wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:The Riches, followed by Price I Pay.
Same for me.

I just don't 'get' Just Because.

:agree: