Tom Morello Interviews Perry

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
leviticus

Tom Morello Interviews Perry

#1 Post by leviticus » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:55 pm

Here is a rather lengthy interview Mr. Morello has with Perry about Jane's and TGEA. Interesting tid-bits: I'll hit you back is about his Step-Mom who was aggressive and abusive. End to the lies is about a "troll website" that decided it would not give them a chance post 1991. Duff was a great musician but treated his gig like a 9-5 job.

http://soundcloud.com/fmqb-productions/ ... -addiction

thoreau

Re: Tom Morello Interviews Perry

#2 Post by thoreau » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:57 pm

Ahahahaha, so the song is about us! :lol:

JOEinPHX

#3 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:02 pm

thoreau wrote:Ahahahaha, so the song is about us! :lol:

WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Last edited by JOEinPHX on Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hype

#4 Post by Hype » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:03 pm

Everyone liked the Relapse tour, so wtf is he talking about?

JOEinPHX

#5 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:26 pm

Perry claims the 4 studio albums over 25 years is "pathetic"

At least he knows. Hopefully he keeps that in mind when he considers making another dance album.

Larry B.

#6 Post by Larry B. » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:27 pm

But we all knew that since ETTL it was released, didn't we? :noclue: :hs:

Deconstruction

#7 Post by Deconstruction » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:47 pm

haha the irony about ETTL is we all for the most part have ended up liking the album and giving credit where credit's due. I also think the song is definitely about Eric AND Xiola.org (mainly the interview), the lyrics are too focused on Eric to be just about Six7Six7 haha.

Diabolik

#8 Post by Diabolik » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:00 pm

Pretty cool interview

Larry B.

#9 Post by Larry B. » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:22 pm

We should get some credit. We inspired Jane's Addiction to write a fine piece of bitter rock music.

cursed male

#10 Post by cursed male » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:23 pm

leviticus wrote:End to the lies is about a "troll website" that decided it would not give them a chance post 1991.

So he says... but I still believe it's about Eric.

Thanks for the interview!

kv

#11 Post by kv » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:48 pm

i wanna know what we lied about?

JOEinPHX

#12 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:55 pm

cursed male wrote:
leviticus wrote:End to the lies is about a "troll website" that decided it would not give them a chance post 1991.

So he says... but I still believe it's about Eric.

Thanks for the interview!

It's about Eric and Sonny.

Mostly Sonny. That guy was a real dick to Perry and Etty for absolutely no reason. I mean, have some fucking respect to the man and his wife if you like the band so much. Am i right?

creep
Site Admin

#13 Post by creep » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:04 pm

he talks more about duff then he ever has. he basically says duff was lazy and that was the reason it didn't work.

kv

#14 Post by kv » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:04 pm

don't scape goat sonny :essence:

JOEinPHX

#15 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:08 pm

creep wrote:he talks more about duff then he ever has. he basically says duff was lazy and that was the reason it didn't work.
i don't know if that is what he was saying. He just said he treated it like a job with specific hours to be creative, whereas the rest of the band would show up at all hours and stay late to work on it. Duff would go back home to his wife and kids while the rest of the band would ignore theirs to keep working.

I think he was more questioning his loyalty to the band. Like saying "we all have responsibilities, but WE'RE still here", you know?

He did praise his writing though. He also mentioned how everyone else in the band "like to get down" (i think that is how he phrased it), meaning the other guys would be doing stuff on substances, and Duff was the only clean guy. Basically, he was a totally different person than the rest of the band. Personality clashes.

Here Duff, Smoke this. - "NO"

Hey Duff, stay late with us - "NO"

I could see how that would cause issues.

JOEinPHX

#16 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:10 pm

kv wrote:don't scape goat sonny :essence:
Haha, that was the joke though. That song is very clearly about us all and not just the guy asking the questions. :lol:

Jasper

#17 Post by Jasper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:24 pm

Oh, it's absolutely about Eric Avery and not just xiola.org and earlier sites. I think perhaps at this point Perry's anger w/ EA has died down, and maybe he's satisfied that he got his shots in, and now will be more diplomatic or neutral, which is a good thing, imo.

I think plenty of bullshit was flung around xiola, but not by very many people. I mean, 6767, longstanding and important member of the community that he is, has said some silly things about Perry's alleged non-contributions to the original band, even in the face of opposing testimony from Eric Avery and Casey Niccoli. However, a lot of the bullshit thrown around is just stuff like stories or speculation which is more satirical in nature, and an attempt to be mean/funny rather than factual. I've always been put off by the nastiest or most petty stuff, but of course most of this stuff, as mean as it is, is just shit-talking in the end.

In any case, I still think most of the "lies" referred to must have been directed at EA. Clearly the interview with Sonny was the biggest inspiration for the track. Hey, I love EA and the interviews, but I would have been pissed too. :noclue:

Anyway, ETTL is either my favorite, or is tied for favorite with Underground. Great track, imo, and I'm glad that we helped to inspire Perry and get that nasty aggressive side of him to show, because he can be very productive when he's pissed off.

P.S. Not related to what I was just saying, but "I'll Hit You Back" has really grown on me. Great track, and a good candidate for next single, among several good candidates.
Last edited by Jasper on Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kv

#18 Post by kv » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:25 pm

"End to the LIes...I don't know if you've had any of these troll websites show up in your lifetime about RATM...like we have had in the past trolls that say "we only love janes addiction prior to 1991, we hate everything after 1991" and you can't please them and um...why am I saying all this?...because the song was written specifically for them, to say "you know what? screw off!" to be honest with you.. musicians..if they hang in there and they are true to their art form...they get better with age and we feel that...ya know, End to the lies man! we're still going and I feel we are better then ever"
lmao no you aren't...as a whole anyway...dave has grown...and we so win the website war....how many songs did perry write about mikes site? zero :bday:

JOEinPHX

#19 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:38 pm

Let's keep one important thing in context here though, Sonny is the only one with control over what xiola.org looked like.

How many times did the masthead say stuff like "Jane's Addiction 1987-1991" or "We LOVED Jane's Addiction..."?

He was making a pretty broad statement while the rest of us talked about things in situational contexts. "This show sucked"/"Strays sucked"/"This song sucks"/etc...

I blame him for generalizing us all as Jane's haters in general.

It's why i am so proud to be part of this board. We have largely been our normal on-the-fence selves since the beginning, but in general we focus more on the positives than the negatives. Thanks for steering the ship in the right direction Hoka and Creep.

kv

#20 Post by kv » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:40 pm

lmfao...WE had perry hating the site looooong before sonny was putting up those headers...perry doesn't like the truth he likes sat party and he thinks tgea is better then rit...lmfao

creep
Site Admin

#21 Post by creep » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:42 pm

what do you expect the guy to say?? no one will ever say that they aren't as good as they were.

kv

#22 Post by kv » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:46 pm

i expect him to not blame a website for his own suckage...even though it is funny as fuck he wrote a song for us lmao..i can not fucking believe he did that and it made the cut to the final record :lolol:

Pandemonium

#23 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:54 pm

Perry was crying about Xiola (and ANR) after the '03 break-up or does anyone not remember Etty/Perry slamming Dave and some fans on the board back then. The negativity only intensified with his terrible Satellite Party crap and the failure to capitalize on the Avery reunion beyond milking it for a nostalgia tour.

I think it's hilarious and more than a bit pathetic that Perry would not only let "fan criticism" (and obviously the Eric/Sonny interview) get to him to the point he needed to write a (lame) song about it but would actually cop to that reason in an interview.

kv

#24 Post by kv » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:56 pm

i never once thought it was about us till today...soooo fucking sad and funny :flip:

Jasper

#25 Post by Jasper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:58 pm

kv wrote:i expect him to not blame a website for his own suckage...even though it is funny as fuck he wrote a song for us lmao..i can not fucking believe he did that and it made the cut to the final record :lolol:
Yeah, but, really, it's more about EA, and we know that. But still, you know what else is funny and ridiculous? The amount of time of our short lives that we've spent sitting around blathering about this shit. Just writing a song mentioning it, and a good song at that, doesn't seem nearly as sad or wasteful. :scared: