The Official Xiola.org review

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
JOEinPHX

Re: The Official Xiola.org review

#226 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:40 pm

I think the masthead should say THE Jane's Addiction Forum, instead of just A Jane's Addiction Forum

creep
Site Admin

#227 Post by creep » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:43 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Is it me, or has everyone from Mike's board given up on that place, jumped ship and moved here the past week.
it's pretty crazy how dead that place is. there is one thread about the album streaming with 33 posts. we probably have 1000 posts on the new album so far.

cashinnowperry

#228 Post by cashinnowperry » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:47 pm

And now the green grass grows...glad this place is THE Jane's Addiction forum.

Sonny, why did you take yr review down???

Hokahey
Site Admin

#229 Post by Hokahey » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:58 pm

The traffic here has been insane. I can't keep up with the posts.

SOKI

#230 Post by SOKI » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:02 pm

Mike's board was a temporary place after Sonny shockingly or not closed the board I was stunned and had no place to go then I received a pm message the only one at mike's from Deconstruction thanks again :lol:

Pandemonium

#231 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:09 pm

SOKI wrote:Mike's board was a temporary place after Sonny shockingly or not closed the board I was stunned and had no place to go then I received a pm message the only one at mike's from Deconstruction thanks again :lol:
Heh, you probably just got Decon banned from Mikey's place.

SOKI

#232 Post by SOKI » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:15 pm

Damn those good intentions :noclue: really Mike is such an emotional guy? :lol:

JOEinPHX

#233 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:26 pm

Being banned from there will really suck for him.

I mean, there are no less than 30 posts to read there every year.

Deconstruction

#234 Post by Deconstruction » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:10 pm

SOKI wrote:Mike's board was a temporary place after Sonny shockingly or not closed the board I was stunned and had no place to go then I received a pm message the only one at mike's from Deconstruction thanks again :lol:
haha I sent at least 50-75 PM's there to names I recognized from Xiola. Mike's board isn't active at all but he's been doing Jane's fansite stuff for awhile, so it's cool he keeps it around. I check in there a couple of times per week. There's no debating though that this is where everybody goes to discuss JA.

perkana

#235 Post by perkana » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:52 pm

Kajicat wrote:Why does Sonny keep calling me "girl" and "sweety"? I'm a guy dude. You can't/won't fuck me, and even if I were a girl I'd stay away from your fat bearded ass.

Pull it together, you're sinking fast.
I thought you were a girl too, your username is kinda femenine, but what do I know? I don't know what it means

kv

#236 Post by kv » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:54 pm

Deconstruction wrote:
haha I sent at least 50-75 PM's there to names I recognized from Xiola. Mike's board isn't active at all but he's been doing Jane's fansite stuff for awhile, so it's cool he keeps it around. I check in there a couple of times per week. There's no debating though that this is where everybody goes to discuss JA.
we should have talked i did the same lmao

S&M

#237 Post by S&M » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:13 pm

Looks like a ghost town over there....Hey you sexy mutherfucker'z :love:

kv

#238 Post by kv » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:18 pm

welcome

Jasper

#239 Post by Jasper » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:19 pm

'sup spunky. :wave:

JOEinPHX

#240 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:35 pm

S&M wrote:Looks like a ghost town over there....Hey you sexy mutherfucker'z :love:
:wave:

Kajicat

#241 Post by Kajicat » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:38 pm

perkana wrote:
Kajicat wrote:Why does Sonny keep calling me "girl" and "sweety"? I'm a guy dude. You can't/won't fuck me, and even if I were a girl I'd stay away from your fat bearded ass.

Pull it together, you're sinking fast.
I thought you were a girl too, your username is kinda femenine, but what do I know? I don't know what it means
:lol: I'll take that as a compliment...I mean hey, Jane's fans are okay with dudes who act feminine right? Perry is practically gay these days!

But I can't believe you would think a girl would have the mustached avatar I use.

*looks at your avatar*

Wait a minute...

perkana

#242 Post by perkana » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:39 pm

:lol:

S&M

#243 Post by S&M » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi Jasper,KV,and, Joe....hope you fella'z are are all swell and dandy....nice site kid'z :wave: :heart:

JOEinPHX

#244 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:22 pm

S&M wrote:Hi Jasper,KV,and, Joe....hope you fella'z are are all swell and dandy....nice site kid'z :wave: :heart:
Thanks! We're all about the positivity here. Glad to have you!

Artemis

#245 Post by Artemis » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:28 pm

All this positivity,peace, and love makes me feel nervous. :lol:

Warped

#246 Post by Warped » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:18 pm

Yes me too but in a positive way :yeay:

Oh and i would really like to know how many females are here - i know a few but for sure not all.. :hs: :lol:

NYRexall

#247 Post by NYRexall » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:08 am

Pandemonium wrote: For starters:

Most of the songs on the album, even the best ones like Gratitude, Judas Goat and B-Side Afterburner sound like underworked Geordie demos. Too often Jazz and Geordie's love of later period Led Zeppelin seeps too far into most of the tracks. And the production is terrible.
For starters, I'm not going to pull out my Killing Joke dick and see if it measures up to yours, because I know I would lose. I'm just glad to know someone else on this board is a mega-fan like me.

I won't argue with you about Invocation because that's just a matter of opinion between two different people.

But the production, I will defend, becuase the album is supposed to sound like that. I was just by the place in Prague last month where they recorded it, and it is indeed a hellhole. Dark, dank and creepy as fuck. The girl I was with insisted on waiting outside.

I'm assuming you've read the liner notes for the album, where Jaz talks about why they chose to record there? They used vintage, outdated amps and equipment to re-capture the sound and atmosphere of their first records, which is what made those albums so game-changing at the time (in addition to the quality of the songs on them). That's what I was referring to when I said it took multiple listens to fully appreciate, because you have to pay it particular attention just to get past the sonic murkiness of the whole affair.

I guess it's just a matter of personal taste. Personally, the production on Hosannas only enhances the experience for me. If you listen to it when you're stoned, the songs (and the production) stretch themselves out considerably.

NYRexall

#248 Post by NYRexall » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:14 am

Six7Six7 wrote:Can't stop, addicted to the shindig.

Cop top he says I'm gonna win big

Choose not a life of imitation

Distant cousin to the reservation
Bro, I love you. Like a brother.

But please stop.

Pandemonium

#249 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:24 am

NYRexall wrote: But the production, I will defend, becuase the album is supposed to sound like that. I was just by the place in Prague last month where they recorded it, and it is indeed a hellhole. Dark, dank and creepy as fuck. The girl I was with insisted on waiting outside.

I'm assuming you've read the liner notes for the album, where Jaz talks about why they chose to record there? They used vintage, outdated amps and equipment to re-capture the sound and atmosphere of their first records, which is what made those albums so game-changing at the time (in addition to the quality of the songs on them). That's what I was referring to when I said it took multiple listens to fully appreciate, because you have to pay it particular attention just to get past the sonic murkiness of the whole affair.

I guess it's just a matter of personal taste. Personally, the production on Hosannas only enhances the experience for me. If you listen to it when you're stoned, the songs (and the production) stretch themselves out considerably.
Yeah I understand the reasons and circumstances behind the recording and production of the album. They did get the raw sound they were striving for but there's all sorts of clipping and even what sounds like tape stretch on some tracks that's just amateurish. I don't expect or want Bob Rock-style production on a KJ album, but near-bootleg quality isn't exactly a good option either. And as I pointed out, there *are* a few songs on the album I like but it was a huge disappointment coming off the previous album and made all the moreso in hindsight when it's sandwiched between KJ2003 and Absolute Dissent.

But at least Hosannas is no "Outside The Gate."

NYRexall

#250 Post by NYRexall » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:40 am

Lolz "Outside the Gate", the forever-be-damned Killing Joke album. It is pretty awful, and should never have been released under the band's name. Thankfully, they followed it up with that blazing "Extremities..." album.

I am interested to know what you love so much about KJ2003, and what your favourite KJ albums are and why, if you don't mind explaining. Forgive me, it's not often I meet someone who likes this band even remotely as much as I do.

My favourites are Pandemonium, What's THIS For, and Night Time. I don't know what the latter says to you about my fandom. I never had much of a problem with their mid-80's "Depeche Joke" output, bar Outside the Gate.