The Official Xiola.org review

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Pandemonium

Re: The Official Xiola.org review

#301 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:42 pm

sonny wrote:didn't you start the "don't fuck up the forums" thread? i find dealing with adults you don't need a set of rules or things you won't allow. so i disagree with "restricting" people in that way.
LOL! You're crying about Hoka (and Creep) posting a thread about *wanting* (not demanding, mind you) members show some measure of civility and respect towards each other? How many people have been bounced or even put on any sort of active moderation here so far... hmmm, would that be a big ol' zero? And that's since many here have gone for the throat on each other and subjects like Etty. Of everyone here, I'm probably close to being first in line to get thrown outta here if anyone truly got serious about cleaning this place up and the worst that's happened is I was politely asked not to use a certain word that offended the more sensitive women here. Big fuckin' deal.

How many people did you bounce off Xiola (some multiple times) for the most innocuous shit? Hey, no rules but you'll get a wild hair up your ass and ban someone for crossing any ol' arbitrary line you happen to draw that afternoon. And then there's the whole "I think I need to clean out Xiola because it's too trollish of a place" moan n' groan before the meltdown.

Essence_Smith

#302 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:06 pm

People are generally playing nice BECAUSE of what happened with xiola... :idea:

We all know sonny had his moods...but the dude was pretty fair about letting people back in when they crossed the line...the point (I think) that he was trying to make is that people should KNOW where the line is without someone having to show em...

I used to make suggestions and people took issue...guess what? I still don't care if they did or do going forward...my ONLY point in all these years in regards to censorship or tone of posts on these boards is that if you're gonna call yourselves a community ACT like one...no need to act like a dick on a board full of people you've interacted with for years...
creep wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:And creep called ME an instigator yesterday... :lolol:
:noclue: i thought it was a valid question given his reason for deleting hokahey. :tiphat:
It IS valid...none of your business, but valid... :wink:

creep
Site Admin

#303 Post by creep » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:24 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:People are generally playing nice BECAUSE of what happened with xiola... :idea:

We all know sonny had his moods...but the dude was pretty fair about letting people back in when they crossed the line...the point (I think) that he was trying to make is that people should KNOW where the line is without someone having to show em...

I used to make suggestions and people took issue...guess what? I still don't care if they did or do going forward...my ONLY point in all these years in regards to censorship or tone of posts on these boards is that if you're gonna call yourselves a community ACT like one...no need to act like a dick on a board full of people you've interacted with for years...
creep wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:And creep called ME an instigator yesterday... :lolol:
:noclue: i thought it was a valid question given his reason for deleting hokahey. :tiphat:
It IS valid...none of your business, but valid... :wink:
well i know why he kept you as a friend. :banana:

of course it's none of my business but he did choose to reply to my post. he can easily ignore me like he usually does.

Essence_Smith

#304 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:38 pm

creep wrote:well i know why he kept you as a friend. :banana:
Whatever reason you have in your head, I can guarantee its got nothing to do with whether or not I like the new Jane's album... :wink:

JOEinPHX

#305 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:43 pm

i really like you all. The ones of you who don't just delete stuff/people for no reason anyway.

:thumb:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#306 Post by Hokahey » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:59 pm

didn't you start the "don't fuck up the forums" thread?
No. I started the "Please don't fuck up the forums" thread. It was a general plea that we all be civil. How's that a restriction. You're really stretching it pal.
i find dealing with adults you don't need a set of rules or things you won't allow. so i disagree with "restricting" people in that way.
wut?

Didn't you used to run a board called Xiola.org where people got banned sometimes and you threw hissy fits when we got "too negative?" You're so fucking full of shit.
who's on crack, hoka?

i cleaned out my friends list on facebook. i had like 10 people that friended me because of xiola.org and i didn't really know who they were.

so, yeah, you got cleaned out. i hope it didn't hurt yr feelings or anything, i definitely didn't mean it that way. if you want to be my friend, feel free to send me a request again.
You sent me the friend request that got us "friended" on there to begin with. I'm good. Just thought it was funny.

You're behaving like a petulent child. Your jealousy and bitterness are on full display and it's rather pathetic. I gave you a pass for being such a dick when we started this place, but now you can go on and fuck yourself.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#307 Post by Hokahey » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:01 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:People are generally playing nice BECAUSE of what happened with xiola... :idea:
I don't think anyone is worried Creep or I are going to have a mental breakdown and burn the board down.

kv

#308 Post by kv » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:37 pm

PLAY NICE YOU CUNTS

:lolol:

Essence_Smith

#309 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:24 pm

hokahey wrote:
I don't think anyone is worried Creep or I are going to have a mental breakdown and burn the board down.
I don't know about mental breakdowns but I think we can all look back and realize that people were definitely getting a little too nastier with each other at the time...I can't speak on anyone else's behalf but it was kinda sad to go on there are see people defending their right to be dicks to people just for coming along and questioning that status quo and calling em trolls, etc...even creep agreed with me...it wasn't going well and while I don't think its the only reason Sonny did things the way he did, it probably didn't help matters, and we all KNOW acting like that isn't necessary. You and I can disagree all day and I'll never call you out of your name or curse you out if I can avoid it...and I think a few of us learned from Sonny killing that board...
kv wrote:PLAY NICE YOU CUNTS

:lolol:
That's pretty much it... :wink: :hehe:

JOEinPHX

#310 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:37 pm

hokahey wrote:
Plus it's just nicer here.

The people are better. Over at xiola the people are a big bunch of jerks.

Artemis

#311 Post by Artemis » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:46 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
hokahey wrote:
Plus it's just nicer here.

The people are better. Over at xiola the people are a big bunch of jerks.
bunch a gaylords if you ask me. :no:

Jasper

#312 Post by Jasper » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:21 pm

Just throwin' this out there - the discussion in the please don't fuck up the forums thread got us closer to being on the same page, let us see the various views people have, and more or less enabled us to find the common ground needed to make this such a good forum.

JOEinPHX

#313 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:23 pm

Jasper wrote:Just throwin' this out there - the discussion in the please don't fuck up the forums thread got us closer to being on the same page, let us see the various views people have, and more or less enabled us to find the common ground needed to make this such a good forum.
It's true.

There was no "this is what you have to do"

it was a discussion, by the members of this board, of what we felt the proper lines to draw are.

Not that certain people could understand that.

sonny

#314 Post by sonny » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:40 pm

creep wrote:
sonny wrote:
creep wrote:
hokahey wrote: Did you delete on FB? :lol:
sonny is only friends with people that hate this album.
flor, zdilla, es, oz, artemis, might disagree. :tiphat:
why did they make the friend cut list and hoka didn't? if you want to distance yourself with xiola.org it would make sense to delete them.
i don't really know. it's nothing personal though. like i said, if he wants back, i'll approve it. no big deal. facebook drama is silly. i was just cleaning out some friends, adding friends to various lists here and there.

if it means something to you or hoka, i never meant for it to be anything. me and hoka don't do a lot of talking on facebook, nor interacting really. he might "like" when i grill or post a pic of my beer. he did show some support when i posted i walked the mile under 18mins, like the fat fuck i am. :lol:

anyway, i understand it can be jarring to be "defriended" but i never meant it that way.

as for those that stayed, they've all been there in other ways. as much as you can to internet friends. :lol:

there's a lot like that from xiola.org that i consider relatively good friends, gavin and hype as well. i guess we just have somethings in common, they also aren't so quick to change with the popular crowd. lot of hating on me after shutting down the site and that's to be expected, but there are just some from xiola.org that i always felt like had my back internet wise.

it might seem silly, but there it is. also, me and hoka have never been tight. likely, mostly my fault. it's not like hoka hasn't tried.

sonny

#315 Post by sonny » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
sonny wrote:didn't you start the "don't fuck up the forums" thread? i find dealing with adults you don't need a set of rules or things you won't allow. so i disagree with "restricting" people in that way.
LOL! You're crying about Hoka (and Creep) posting a thread about *wanting* (not demanding, mind you) members show some measure of civility and respect towards each other? How many people have been bounced or even put on any sort of active moderation here so far... hmmm, would that be a big ol' zero? And that's since many here have gone for the throat on each other and subjects like Etty. Of everyone here, I'm probably close to being first in line to get thrown outta here if anyone truly got serious about cleaning this place up and the worst that's happened is I was politely asked not to use a certain word that offended the more sensitive women here. Big fuckin' deal.

How many people did you bounce off Xiola (some multiple times) for the most innocuous shit? Hey, no rules but you'll get a wild hair up your ass and ban someone for crossing any ol' arbitrary line you happen to draw that afternoon. And then there's the whole "I think I need to clean out Xiola because it's too trollish of a place" moan n' groan before the meltdown.
let me be clear, i think xiola.org was headed in a direction i didn't want to see it go. likely already there. there is no denying that. so you call it meltdown or whatever. you have no idea what it's like to run a board, where you disagree with 90% of the shit posted. what hoka/creep are running in here is a lot closer to ja.org than any era of xiola.org. that's very clear. the fact that the 'etty tweet' thread is in a "hidden" forum shows that.

there are people here that was also at xiola.org, but this place is in no way xiola.org. not even close.

i think it's silly to give specifics/rules, because people generally find loopholes for that. i like to treat it case by case and i trust my own judgement in those situations. and that worked fine for 10 years or so. not one person ever felt they should be banned when they were. so yr not alone in thinking you were banned for nothing, if you were. i don't really remember.

and lets get it straight, i never moderated anyone. i never edited posts. i only ever banned and deleted users, or deleted their posts. i think it's silly to moderate. if you can't participate, then i'm certainly not going to burden myself with having to proof read yr every post.

this place is running just fine for 2 months. and i think there has been at least one ban, adolf. i haven't followed enough to see any other shit, whether creep or hoka are banning or deleting shit for the better of the board is their call and i'm not questioning that.

i just think it's childish to give folks rules. i don't have rules posted on my wall of my house for visitors. the bars i go to don't have rules posted on the wall, but i bet most know what will get them thrown out.

what you view as worse is up to you. you post rules and the people follow them, but there is much grey in those rules or subjects not approached in rules. so you keep adding to it and before ya know it, you have pages and pages of rules.

just let people be themselves. if they have a bad night and we all do, take them out of the picture. if they calm down and want back in, you let them back in.

i find it hilarious you question they way i ran xiola.org, considering how successful it was, but it's within yr right to do so. :tiphat:

sonny

#316 Post by sonny » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:55 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:
creep wrote:well i know why he kept you as a friend. :banana:
Whatever reason you have in your head, I can guarantee its got nothing to do with whether or not I like the new Jane's album... :wink:
me and ES have kids, wife, family and similar thoughts. it's not a stretch for us to be friends on facebook.

sonny

#317 Post by sonny » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:55 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:i really like you all. The ones of you who don't just delete stuff/people for no reason anyway.

:thumb:
yeah, no reason. i just came in and the first name i saw i deleted. it was never justified. :lol:

sonny

#318 Post by sonny » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:04 pm

hokahey wrote:
didn't you start the "don't fuck up the forums" thread?
No. I started the "Please don't fuck up the forums" thread. It was a general plea that we all be civil. How's that a restriction. You're really stretching it pal.
i find dealing with adults you don't need a set of rules or things you won't allow. so i disagree with "restricting" people in that way.
wut?

Didn't you used to run a board called Xiola.org where people got banned sometimes and you threw hissy fits when we got "too negative?" You're so fucking full of shit.
who's on crack, hoka?

i cleaned out my friends list on facebook. i had like 10 people that friended me because of xiola.org and i didn't really know who they were.

so, yeah, you got cleaned out. i hope it didn't hurt yr feelings or anything, i definitely didn't mean it that way. if you want to be my friend, feel free to send me a request again.
You sent me the friend request that got us "friended" on there to begin with. I'm good. Just thought it was funny.

You're behaving like a petulent child. Your jealousy and bitterness are on full display and it's rather pathetic. I gave you a pass for being such a dick when we started this place, but now you can go on and fuck yourself.
don't fake it hoka. i don't need a pass at all.

i may have sent you a friend request, i don't really remember.

i'd have to go back through the thread, but it seemed like there were rules beyond "don't fuck up the forums".

as soon as you suggest people be civil, you are suggesting they aren't already being so. which is my point.

it's yr forum/site, run it as you see fit. i just don't agree with it.

i explained myself very well here. i just think telling people what not to do, before they've done anything is sorta silly. i generally PM'ed people before banning. there were some exceptions, but many people got private messages from me when i felt they had crossed a line.

that said, i wouldn't hesitate to ban folks. i'm not gonna plead with people to act like adults, but i felt like i was very fair with nearly everyone whoever got banned.

either way, no bitterness or jealousy. xiola.org is what it is. this place will be the same. people will like this place, as some did with xiola.org and none of it will matter. it's never been a competition. people assume that's the motivation. if it were i'd have put more effort in to keeping xiola.org going. considering the new album, i'm glad i got out when i did.

btw, if folks judge success of a forum by how few people have been banned, it's very misguided, especially considering the history xiola.org went through.

sonny

#319 Post by sonny » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:11 pm

hokahey wrote:
you misrepresented what happened with xiola.org. xiola.org meant a great deal to me. i worked very hard to make it what it was and it was VERY tough to give it up. i wouldn't characterize that as a mental breakdown, it was just a really tough decision to make.

if it helps you to think so, then ok.

sonny

#320 Post by sonny » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:13 pm

Jasper wrote:Just throwin' this out there - the discussion in the please don't fuck up the forums thread got us closer to being on the same page, let us see the various views people have, and more or less enabled us to find the common ground needed to make this such a good forum.
like i said, it's just different. i don't agree with all that. i don't agree with rule by committee either. it's just different.

creep
Site Admin

#321 Post by creep » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:29 pm

sonny wrote:
like i said, it's just different. i don't agree with all that. i don't agree with rule by committee either. it's just different.
would you be complaining though if it was run exactly like xiola? i'm sure hoka is just trying to make this his place and not a complete ripoff of your site.

by the way he makes all the decisions here. i just set it up. it would never work with two people in charge. i may do some maintenance stuff with the board but that is all.

oh and fyi,,,two people have been banned. sgb and adolf.

sonny

#322 Post by sonny » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:37 pm

creep wrote:
sonny wrote:
would you be complaining though if it was run exactly like xiola? i'm sure hoka is just trying to make this his place and not a complete ripoff of your site.

by the way he makes all the decisions here. i just set it up. it would never work with two people in charge. i may do some maintenance stuff with the board but that is all.

oh and fyi,,,two people have been banned. sgb and adolf.
what i meant by "committee" was the discussion. i don't mind listening, but the decision has to be my own.

either way, i don't mean to be complaining. this place is hoka's and yrs as well, and you can run it however you see fit. i was only making my opinion known as so many here do. yet somehow my opinion seems to carry more weight or garner more passionate disagreement.

i would delete or at least move "don't fuck of the forums". it just looks silly, as if you expected me or others to do so. and if we had planned to do so, that thread would keep us from doing so. you see what i mean?

i don't think it's unreasonable. i can't greet guest in my house with "don't fuck up my house", unless it's my parents house and i'm 14.

again, it's not my decision and as i have said before, this place will never be xiola.org and you shouldn't try. it's clear to me the vision seems more closely related to ja.org than anything xiola.org did before, so yr right on track.

so far, 2 months, 2 people banned. gotcha. :tiphat:

Pandemonium

#323 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:46 pm

sonny wrote:so far, 2 months, 2 people banned. gotcha. :tiphat:
Two points for the Sonny-meister!

Artemis

#324 Post by Artemis » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:54 pm

i didn't mind the thread about not fucking up the forums. i expressed my serious dislike for the use of 'retard' in a derogatory way, and thus far, nobody has been using it. not that i've noticed anyway...

Pandemonium

#325 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:57 pm

Artemis wrote:i didn't mind the thread about not fucking up the forums. i expressed my serious dislike for the use of 'retard' in a derogatory way, and thus far, nobody has been using it. not that i've noticed anyway...
Er... there's a couple recent threads (that coincidently feature lots of posts by six7six7) that you may want to avoid.