Jane's Addiction Reunites for Comeback Album / NY DailyNews

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
cursed male

Jane's Addiction Reunites for Comeback Album / NY DailyNews

#1 Post by cursed male » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:55 am

Jane's Addiction Members Dave Navarro, Chris Chaney And Pery Ferrell Reunite For Comeback Album
14 October 2011

"I've replanted my feet / back in the underground," yelps Perry Farrell at the start of the comeback CD from his band Jane's Addiction.

But is that really possible?

The version of Jane's that speaks to us today would have a hard time approximating the wild-eyed crew that stormed out of L.A. in the mid-'80s. Then, they communicated a hedonist's abandon, told in everything from their brutally askew riffs to their lyrical paean to free sex and the joys of shoplifting.

The members' current ages, fame level and bank accounts make that kind of anarchic pluck difficult to pull off. But it's still theoretically achievable. Unfortunately, the music they came up with on "The Great Escape Artist" - their first new studio recording in eight years, out this Tuesday - sounds too comfy to occupy any current underground.

It's hardly lame. Dave Navarro's guitar takes some needling new turns, the riffs have appeal, and there's always Farrell's loopy character, and foghorn vocals, to sway us. There's even some new blood injected, in the form of bassist Dave Sitek from TV on the Radio. But you'll find little of that band's arch abrasion here.

Essentially, "Escape Artist" offers respectable fodder. It's generic Jane. Of course, that still has its charms. So should the band's concert appearances, two of which take place Monday and Tuesday at Irving Plaza. Even if they're not cutting-edge, they're heritage events by a band talented enough to deserve one.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... for_c.html

cursed male

Re: Jane's Addiction Reunites for Comeback Album / NY DailyN

#2 Post by cursed male » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:56 am

Gotta love that headline... :hehe:

LJF

#3 Post by LJF » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:19 am

I think this review is spot on. From most of the reviews I've read this one is the best at summing up this cd and the current state of Jane's.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#4 Post by Hokahey » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:36 am

Sounds like it sums up Strays. This is a better album.

Warped

#5 Post by Warped » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:47 am

cursed male wrote:Gotta love that headline... :hehe:

jptm

#6 Post by jptm » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:50 am

hopefully they'll be on stern mon or tues; if they're in NY... will be interesting if they try and play live on the show... howard was into IF when dave was on a few weeks ago; how will perry pull it off in a small setting w/the backing track?

tcrock

#7 Post by tcrock » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:07 am

jptm wrote:hopefully they'll be on stern mon or tues; if they're in NY... will be interesting if they try and play live on the show... howard was into IF when dave was on a few weeks ago; how will perry pull it off in a small setting w/the backing track?

I was thinking that too...at least an appearance, not neccesarily playing live. Those guys n stern would always be entertaining.

Matz

#8 Post by Matz » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:10 am

like you say Dave was just on there plugging the album, so I don't think they'll be back, but I hope so, Howard's the best interviewer of them all