Well the physical sucks buy the d/l if you buy it

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Juana

Well the physical sucks buy the d/l if you buy it

#1 Post by Juana » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:07 am

Took a couple quick pics while checking in the liquor orders will upload more when I get home and put it on the stereo.

One thing is the liner notes are pretty much non existent and really having the physical copy isn't worth it with this packaging. Something I noticed about the thank you's is that Perk thanks Pete and Dave thanks Issacs. Chris is in the pic in the liner notes but no thanks section, and nothing from Sitek as well. Lyrics are posted in full and as has been discussed they're not very good in a lot of them.

I would only recommend getting the physical copy for the people that basically have the physicals of everything else.

Packaging is a 2 out of 10 I would say. Album music after a listen here and hearing the stream is about a 7 out of 10.

Warped

Re: Well the physical sucks buy the d/l if you buy it

#2 Post by Warped » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:12 am

Yes, got mine today too.
Can't hardly read the lyrics or anything else as said in the other thread because of the painfully tiny letters - or because i am just old and have old eyes :oldtimer: ...dunno it's a bit annoying.
And there is no thanks from Perry to Mike (at least i didn't see any... :lol: )

Juana

#3 Post by Juana » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:14 am

Warped wrote:Yes, got mine today too.
Can't almost read the lyrics or anything else as said in the other thread because of the painfully tiny letters - or because i am just old and have old eyes :oldtimer: ...dunno it's a bit annoying.
My buddy here in Austin got them into his store last night and hooked me up with a copy knowing I'm a big fan so I'm happy about that but thinking I will listen to the other stuff I got first then play this on the stereo at home so I actually get to hear some of what DN slaved over this time around. And yes the print is small but readable they basically I think cheaped out on the packaging.

Kajicat

#4 Post by Kajicat » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:17 am

I'm buyin'

I hate downloading music and will always choose to own a physical copy. I loved going through my Dad's record collection...I don't want my kid to have to look at mp3 files on a hard drive. Not the same effect.

Larry B.

#5 Post by Larry B. » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:18 am

Juana wrote: they basically I think cheaped out on the packaging.
:nod:

it sure seems like it.

Juana

#6 Post by Juana » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:32 am

If I didn't get hooked up with this copy I wouldn't have the physical namely because there is nothing cool about the packaging. Say what you want say about Lateralus and 10,000 days but there was a lot of effort put into the packaging and it goes with what Kajicat said made it more of an experience in getting new music.

tubro

#7 Post by tubro » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:27 pm

Warped wrote:And there is no thanks from Perry to Mike (at least i didn't see any... :lol: )
why should there be? he didn't influence the songwriting. there should be thanks to sonny and his legion of trolls at xiola.org.

thoreau

#8 Post by thoreau » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Warped wrote: And there is no thanks from Perry to Mike (at least i didn't see any... :lol: )
Is there a Fuck You to "Sonny and the Xiolaians"? :hehe:

feathers mcgraw

#9 Post by feathers mcgraw » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:03 pm

In all fairness, my physical copy of Ritual has absolutely no liner notes so pretty much anything is a step up from that...

Deconstruction

#10 Post by Deconstruction » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:17 pm

Are there songwriting credits?

Japhy

#11 Post by Japhy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:42 pm

Kajicat wrote:I loved going through my Dad's record collection...I don't want my kid to have to look at mp3 files on a hard drive. Not the same effect.
Same here mate... i keep loads of books around the house for the very same reason.

JOEinPHX

#12 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:47 pm

Deconstruction wrote:Are there songwriting credits?
Ditto this. I want to know who wrote what.

Although i already know that Duff is responsible for my 3 least favorite songs.

Juana

#13 Post by Juana » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:33 pm

Underground = PF, DN, Perk, Sitek
End To The Lies = PF, DN. Perk, Sitek
Curiosity Kills = PF, DN, Perk, Sitek
Irresitable Force = Same as above
I'll Hit You Back = Same as above
Twisted Tales = Same as above
Ultimate Reason = PF, DN, Perk, Duff
Splash = PF, DN, Perk, Sitek
Broken = PF, DN, Perk, Duff
Words = PF, DN, Perk, Duff

PF = vox
DN = Guitar, Keys
Perk = Drums
Sitek = Bass, Programing, additional guitars
Chaney = Bass
Master Musicians of Toujouka - Rhiata and additional percussion
John Hill = additional keys
Jamie Muhoberae - additional keys

Costey = Prod
PF = Co-prod
Sitek = Additional Prod

Pandemonium

#14 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:59 pm

feathers mcgraw wrote:In all fairness, my physical copy of Ritual has absolutely no liner notes so pretty much anything is a step up from that...
You didn't get the little tan booklet with the cd?

Kajicat

#15 Post by Kajicat » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:28 pm

I don't see what's so bad about the packaging. It's got cover art, a picture of the band, lyrics, credits, thank you's...that's what I was expecting! Def wasn't expecting some 10,000 Days packaging. I don't think they've gone the cheap route at all...if they did then so did 99% of all bands who have put out a CD has been cheap too - and Jane's has been putting out physical CD's with cheap packaging their entire career then. I don't get the logic. :noclue:

Still buyin'

creep
Site Admin

#16 Post by creep » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:31 pm

yeah it looks fine to me. i do prefer digipaks though.

CaseyContrarian

#17 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:39 pm

Juana wrote:Underground = PF, DN, Perk, Sitek

PF = vox
DN = Guitar, Keys
Perk = Drums
Chaney = Bass

Costey = Prod
PF = Co-prod
Sitek = Additional Prod
One thing I've always been with Sonny on is that it's bullshit that they have to have Sitek or even Duff help them write. Maybe if PF hadn't been such an assclown, they could've kept Eric in the mix, and perhaps we'd have had a legit Jane's effort without hired guns. Even if I don't hate the record, it's just... sad.

JOEinPHX

#18 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:48 pm

i am glad they brought in Sitek.

i couldn't have handled an entire album of Duff songs.

Kajicat

#19 Post by Kajicat » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:59 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Juana wrote:Underground = PF, DN, Perk, Sitek

PF = vox
DN = Guitar, Keys
Perk = Drums
Chaney = Bass

Costey = Prod
PF = Co-prod
Sitek = Additional Prod
One thing I've always been with Sonny on is that it's bullshit that they have to have Sitek or even Duff help them write. Maybe if PF hadn't been such an assclown, they could've kept Eric in the mix, and perhaps we'd have had a legit Jane's effort without hired guns. Even if I don't hate the record, it's just... sad.
But maybe if Eric didn't get drunk one night and hit on Perry's girl none of the shit between them would have even started in the first place? Wait...did I just make that up?

sonny

#20 Post by sonny » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:20 pm

:lol:

na, really, it's good. :no:

Juana

#21 Post by Juana » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:34 pm

Kajicat wrote:I don't see what's so bad about the packaging. It's got cover art, a picture of the band, lyrics, credits, thank you's...that's what I was expecting! Def wasn't expecting some 10,000 Days packaging. I don't think they've gone the cheap route at all...if they did then so did 99% of all bands who have put out a CD has been cheap too - and Jane's has been putting out physical CD's with cheap packaging their entire career then. I don't get the logic. :noclue:

Still buyin'
I don't know I just wanted more out of the packing I mean at least the NS liner notes had pages and stuff. I mean I personally am disappointed with the packaging but then again I like digipacks and you know something to look thru while listening to it but oh well.

And Sonny come on man we all know you can't judge an album from the art work... oh wait there's Strays lol but still I was just telling everyone that if they were thinking the packaging would be cool that its not.

sonny

#22 Post by sonny » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:53 pm

Juana wrote:
Kajicat wrote:I don't see what's so bad about the packaging. It's got cover art, a picture of the band, lyrics, credits, thank you's...that's what I was expecting! Def wasn't expecting some 10,000 Days packaging. I don't think they've gone the cheap route at all...if they did then so did 99% of all bands who have put out a CD has been cheap too - and Jane's has been putting out physical CD's with cheap packaging their entire career then. I don't get the logic. :noclue:

Still buyin'
I don't know I just wanted more out of the packing I mean at least the NS liner notes had pages and stuff. I mean I personally am disappointed with the packaging but then again I like digipacks and you know something to look thru while listening to it but oh well.

And Sonny come on man we all know you can't judge an album from the art work... oh wait there's Strays lol but still I was just telling everyone that if they were thinking the packaging would be cool that its not.
don't try to make excuses for this shit. it's embarrassing. strays cover was as well.

we've been over this. we have become accustom to great album covers for great music. it's not always the case, but it's consistant enough that we expect it.

which means this packaging is totally appropriate for this album.

Juana

#23 Post by Juana » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:43 pm

Its not an excuse for me Sonny. Honestly I really only listen to NS from Janes. This album is something that you can play in the back ground at a party and have some fun for, at least to me.

There are plenty of other "amazing" releases for me in the last year or so to listen to when I want to get an experience. There are a few albums I can think of with great art that plain and simply suck. "Follow The Leader" for one had great art work and honestly aside from the song with Pharcyde was terrible typical nu-metal.

I know you don't like the album and more power to you. But like I said the actual packaging is lacking so you drew that same conclusion about in comparison for the music and honestly I get it. I don't think this is anywhere in the same city much less the same field of NS but like it has been said here its not us justifying anything its us realizing its them using the same name but a different band....

See Metallica they haven't been the same since Cliff passed away but you know people still like Justice and s/t... people change, hell we fans changed from the start of the time a lot of us were posting on your board.

But I will say that they set the bar so low recently that even though compared to NS this is terrible, but its better than what they have been doing and we're excited about it. Again I just didn't want anything to expect anything but the standard jewel case BS.

feathers mcgraw

#24 Post by feathers mcgraw » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:04 am

Pandemonium wrote:
feathers mcgraw wrote:In all fairness, my physical copy of Ritual has absolutely no liner notes so pretty much anything is a step up from that...
You didn't get the little tan booklet with the cd?
No, mine has a piece of paper which has the front cover, and the back of the bookelt, but inside is just white paper. :cona:

NYRexall

#25 Post by NYRexall » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:31 am

Maybe now you geeks realize why I act like an elitist musical snob and buy everything on vinyl.

Expanded packaging in most cases, better-sounding quality in the medium and lyric sheets that span the entire LP bag.

So while you're holding a flashlight over your rinky-dink CD booklets squinting at the lyrics, I'll be reading mine from across the room in normal lighting (while intoxicated, most likely).

:banana: