Lollapalooza

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Juana

Re: Lollapalooza

#41 Post by Juana » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:36 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Juana wrote:
How did you like the APC (saw them in SA and while I liked the new song didn't like that 8 of the 18 songs were from Emotive),
Love them. It was my 6th time seeing them. I was happy to hear songs from Emotive since they never really toured that record. And the fact that they didn't play Judith at all was pretty awesome. The 3 Libras remix they played was rad too. Totally unexpected type of set and i dug it.
Explosions In The Sky (being local they played around here a lot),
Had seen them once before. I really only saw them by default while waiting around for Foo fighters, but i like them so it was cool. They are good about waves of different types of energy. They chill everyone out and then get heavy and rock everyone's faces.
Deftones (haven't really been into anything since White Pony)[.quote]

They put on a great show. I have heard they are hit and miss, and last time i saw them it was definitely a miss. But this time Chino's voice seemed to hold up well so they really nailed the set.
and Atmosphere's sets? I like the new Atmosphere album now but it took a few listens to really digest it.

It was cool but probably not something i would see again. I know people seem to love them but i can't seem to get into it.
Yeah I dug the new version of 3 Libras and they kind of teased the crowd here when they started to play "Diary Of Love Song" their cover of Love Song and Diary Of Madman mash up thing. Overall though I didn't like the lack of 13th Step tracks (well there were a few) and 8 Emotive tracks as aside from Passive (liked the other version that was supposed to turn into a Tapeworm song) I really didn't like that album at all. But to each their own.

Did they play a proper set or was it the shortened festival set? I did like that they played 18 songs when I saw them last month

Deconstruction

#42 Post by Deconstruction » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:43 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:I'll take this over "Irresistible Force" any day. :noclue:

FAIL, those guys are hacks. Have to sample shit in order to write a song now.

kv

#43 Post by kv » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:42 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
creep wrote:dave grohl says some nice things about perry and perry looks silly running on stage

And there are people here that say Jane's Addiction won't be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. :essence:
yeah well i think perry will make it...not so sure about the band

Tyler Durden

#44 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:27 am

Deconstruction wrote:

Nonsense.

First, Coldplay did not sample anyone on this song; they used the melody of an opening piano riff (and gave credit). The two songs sounds nothing alike. Not to mention, tons of bands of have done things like this, whether it's Nirvana using a similar chord progression to Boston or Pearl Jam using the exact vocal melody from Led Zeppelin. The opening to "Ocean Size" sounds like Cream...and I'm pretty sure someone on the bored showed that the main riff in "Mountain Song" was from another song.

There's nothing wrong with a GOOD sample:

esqfool

#45 Post by esqfool » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:14 pm

Good to hear that Joy Formidable blew you away. I had a buddy tip me off to them about 6 months ago. Saw them in April and they played a basement here in St. Louis to about 300 people and fucking played like it was a stadium. I actually drug along some friends who I'd told they will be huge, and afterwards they all agreed that they will be massive in short time. Thing is I still see them WAY down the lineup on festivals.

Jasper

#46 Post by Jasper » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:16 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Deconstruction wrote:

Nonsense.

First, Coldplay did not sample anyone on this song; they used the melody of an opening piano riff (and gave credit). The two songs sounds nothing alike. Not to mention, tons of bands of have done things like this, whether it's Nirvana using a similar chord progression to Boston or Pearl Jam using the exact vocal melody from Led Zeppelin. The opening to "Ocean Size" sounds like Cream...and I'm pretty sure someone on the bored showed that the main riff in "Mountain Song" was from another song.

There's nothing wrong with a GOOD sample:

But Coldplay suck ass. :idea: :idea: :idea:

JOEinPHX

#47 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:26 pm

esqfool wrote:Good to hear that Joy Formidable blew you away. I had a buddy tip me off to them about 6 months ago. Saw them in April and they played a basement here in St. Louis to about 300 people and fucking played like it was a stadium. I actually drug along some friends who I'd told they will be huge, and afterwards they all agreed that they will be massive in short time. Thing is I still see them WAY down the lineup on festivals.
i don't know about huge.

I get kind of an Oceansize vibe from them. And we see how well those guys did.

But as long as they put out solid albums, i will go check them out.