Lollapalooza

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
JOEinPHX

Lollapalooza

#1 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:49 pm

Gonna be a fun weekend.

I am leaving tomorrow to head to Chicago.

Anyone else gonna be there?

Have we heard from Etty yet about our Lolla Cabanas?

creep
Site Admin

Re: Lollapalooza

#2 Post by creep » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:57 pm

can't wait for your review of perryetty

sinep

#3 Post by sinep » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:14 pm

have fun at the congress plaza hotel.

try not to swallow too many bugs in your sleep.

ant

#4 Post by ant » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:52 pm

sinep wrote:have fun at the congress plaza hotel.

try not to swallow too many bugs in your sleep.
Ain't that the truth. The location and price are right but that place is a dump.

chaos

#5 Post by chaos » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:56 pm

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/201 ... y-turns-20
Lollapalooza fest loudly turns 20
Aug 4, 2011
Written by
EDNA GUNDERSEN
USA TODAY

In 1991, Perry Farrell threw a loud farewell bash for his disintegrating band, Jane's Addiction. Who knew saying so long would last soooo long?

That first traveling Lollapalooza festival took nine diverse underground acts on the road for six weeks, planting the flag of the alternative nation.

Twenty years later, after surviving serious threats to its survival, Lollapalooza will celebrate its seventh year at Chicago's Grant Park this weekend with a bill of 130-plus artists, record attendance and a healthy future, thanks to a city contract extending the fest through 2018.

"All three days are sold out, 90,000 a day," says Farrell, slated for a DJ set Saturday in the 20,000-capacity Perry's dance tent. "Lollapalooza is such a beautiful, exciting notion now. All our ideas are so much bigger and grander."

And fatter. Without losing its alt cred and outsider vibe, Lolla grew into a stable, lucrative industry anchor. Among festivals last year, Lollapalooza's gross of $17.3 million was second only to the Coachella Music and Arts Festival in Indio, Calif., with $21.7 million, according to Billboard Boxscore. Lolla was No. 1 in attendance with 240,000, easily eclipsed by this year's record 270,000.

As other Chicago events have struggled in recent years, Lolla's gate has quadrupled since its 2005 debut at Grant Park. The 2011 edition is expected to generate $85 million in local spending, and a cut of $2.2 million goes to the city's Parkways Foundation, according to Crain's Chicago Business.

It's sweet vindication for Farrell, whose maiden trek, replete with sideshow attractions, was dismissed by industry traditionalists as a doomed fantasy. Yet his caravan of pals and peers (Jane's Addiction, Nine Inch Nails, Living Colour, Ice-T, the Butthole Surfers, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Rollins Band, Violent Femmes
and Fishbone) triumphed at the box office. It also revolutionized the concert industry, ushered in the alternative rock format and galvanized a previously marginalized generation of outsiders.

"I definitely meant it," Farrell, 52, says of Lolla's inception as his band's bon voyage. "I was burned out on being in a group. We were fighting and creatively banging against each other. I wanted to leave with a bang.

"For the most part, pop radio wasn't giving these people a chance," he says about the inaugural bill. "They were playing in underground clubs. It was an alternative to the hair metal that was going on then.

"When we got together in force, we drew 20,000 kids at a time. That's a really successful party. The industry saw that and wanted to do it again."

Chicago is key
Lolla boomed in the grunge era, was suspended in 1998 after failing to secure a headliner, and went dark until 2003's resurrection, coinciding with a Jane's reunion. In 2004, soft ticket sales torpedoed the tour.

"It was one of the saddest days of my life," Farrell says. "I learned a hard lesson, but it led to a healthy change of strategy. Rather than work with music producers and promoters, I partnered with a city, where I have creative control."

Farrell and the William Morris Agency teamed with Texas-based C3 Presents to revive Lolla in 2005 as a destination fest in Chicago. This April, the brand made its foreign debut in Santiago, Chile. A third location will be unveiled Friday.

For singer/guitarist Nick Hexum of 311, joining the Chile roster roused memories of catching the Kansas City stop on the inaugural Lolla tour.

The intensity "really kicked in by the time Jane's Addiction came on, and that was just a jaw-dropping experience," Hexum, 41, says. "To finally share the stage with (Jane's) in South America (was) a big deal.

Artist enthusiasm and fraternity threads through all eight U.S. tours and six Chicago fests.

Reggae artist Damian Marley, returning this year, cherishes his memory of playing in '97.

"It was my first tour of that size or caliber," says Marley, 33. "It was the first experience for me to watch rock groups and different genres in a huge multicultural festival."

As music sales fell and touring grew crucial to a band's revenue, festivals added broad exposure.

"Unless you're Rihanna or something, you don't make money from record sales," says Aaron Freeman, 41, of Ween, which enjoyed a profile boost from its 2006 Lolla show. "Whenever you play in front of 40,000 people, they're bound to turn you on to other people."

British dance-funk band Friendly Fires, playing this weekend, drew a huge throng in 2009 despite being "the first band on stage midday, when the sun was beating down," says singer Ed Macfarlane, 27. "It was definitely the hottest gig I've ever played in my life, and I'm still quite amazed that we were able to make it through."

Ahead of its time
Heat isn't the only drawback, says Damian Kulash of OK Go, playing its second Lolla this year.

"Most people don't get to do their full production, most people don't get to do sound checks," he says. "The upside is you get to play in front of so many people you wouldn't necessarily play for, and the dynamics of huge crowds like that are totally different."

He was first awed as a fan after attending the 1993 fest. "It really was an ahead-of-its-time idea in the early '90s."

Lollapalooza blazed a trail with its multi-act touring fest, "a concept copied by scores of others," says Ray Waddell, Billboard's senior editor for touring. "All the good things that Lolla has been and can be in the future are inextricably linked to the vision of Perry Farrell.

"The year, the Lolla tour was canceled due to poor ticket sales, fairly or not, it became the poster child for misguided touring concepts," Waddell said. "To its credit, C3 Presents saw the value in the brand and resurrected it to build the essence of what an urban rock festival can be. Nobody saw that coming."

JOEinPHX

#6 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:21 am

creep wrote:can't wait for your review of perryetty
Not a chance in hell i will go see that.

i learned my lesson 3 years ago.

Artemis

#7 Post by Artemis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:58 am

http://www.toronto.com/blog/post/694491 ... -girl-talk
The lineup isn’t the most compelling in the festival’s 20-year history, but Lollapalooza has grown into such a well-executed and inclusive event since setting up semi-permanent shop in Chicago’s Grant Park six years ago that I’ve started coming habitually just for the experience.

A good excuse to go to Chicago is a good excuse to go to Chicago, after all. And Lollapalooza’s as about as good as excuses to go to Chicago come if you’re a music fan. This is why the thing keeps growing, year after year, even during times when the American concert industry is supposed to be contracting. Lollapalooza 2011 is the first in this town to completely sell out all 90,000 tickets available for each of the three days, meaning more than 270,000 people will roll through the gates – or clamber over the fences, as they were doing once the sun went down on Friday night – by the time this thing wraps up with a headlining performance by the Foo Fighters on Sunday. Its many stages now occupy nearly 120 acres of parkland sandwiched gorgeously between the shores of Lake Michican and the Second City’s famous skyline. That’s about as big as festivals get in this part of North America and, fortunately, Lollapalooza is up to the task of handling the crowd volume; even at this scale, the lineups for concessions, beer and washrooms are only just starting to get mildly patience-testing for the first time since Perry Farrell et al. revived their fabled ‘90s modern-rock road show here in 2006.

Friday boiled down to a pitched three-way battle between Coldplay, Muse and Girl Talk, all of whom drew ridiculous throngs to three of the fest’s half-dozen big stages during the headlining hours.

Coldplay, the monstrously popular U.K. combo making its first trip to these shores in a long while, was easily the biggest draw, but everything’s relative when you’re dealing with a mob of nearly 100,000 people. Yes, there were at least 50,000 bodies swooning to Chris Martin’s nice-guy piano ballads in the north end of Grant Park until the final curtain call, but fellow British makers of grand statements Muse probably had 20,000 people at their end of the field and Girl Talk another 15,000 on hand for his crowd-pleasing electro-mash-up madness in the gigantic rave tent known as “Perry’s.” No one was going unheard, and everyone had their die-hards. Lollapalooza knows what it’s doing.

I’m not the world’s hugest Coldplay fan, but I felt compelled to fight my way north after a brief taste of both Muse (impressive players with equally impressive swagger, but a trio who’s showy prog-rock still comes off a little cold and sterile to these ears) and Girl Talk (fun and technically accomplished, but a bit too “what’s he gonna play next?” gimmicky for my tastes) since my girlfriend is in love with Martin and couldn’t make it this year and, thus, wouldn’t forgive me if I didn’t see at least some of the set.

And you know what? I didn’t regret it. Apparently there were some more new songs from the band’s forthcoming fifth album at the top of the set, but what I caught was mostly a run of favourites such as “The Scientist,” an inviting “God Put a Smile Upon Your Face,” a strobing “Politik” and a tingly “Viva La Vida” that had the crowd firmly on side. Where it stayed even during a couple of other new ditties – including a tune called “Us Against the World” that Martin joked was about an imagined romance between Sarah Palin and Bill O’Reilly – brought out towards the end.

It was full steam ahead during the encore, where “Clocks” had shirtless dudes embracing and all but making out all over the place and the lovely softie “Fix You” (even I’m a sucker for this one) made it clear just why seemingly every single cute girl in the Great Lakes region had gathered in Grant Park for the day. The band even managed to sell the weak new single “Every Teardrop is a Waterfall” better than it did on the recorded version. I think I won a bet made earlier in the day, too, when Martin became the first Lollapalooza performer to cover an Amy Winehouse tune, offering a few quiet bars of “Rehab” in tribute to the late U.K. soul singer.

Other highlights on the Friday included British rapper Tinie Tempah, who seems poised to make the North American pop crossover such U.K. peers as Dizzie Rascal and Roots Manuva have never quite been able to make with his Mercury Prize-nominated debut Disc-overy. He had a full, frothing mob of supporters bopping madly away to the recent single “Till I’m Gone,” even though verbal sparring partner Wiz Khalifa was absent for the occasion, and was clearly delighted to see the entire crowd on side for the more U.K.-specific dance-rap hit “Miami to Ibiza.” So much so, in fact, that he got the entire audience to crouch down and stage a synchronized leap into the air at the crucial moment in the song’s breakdown where he yells “Action!” Big fun. And Tempah sounded totally sincere when he said this was his favourite show he’d yet played in the U.S.

Toronto’s Crystal Castles, meanwhile, also proved an enjoyable early-evening attraction in the run-up to Muse’s closing set at the southern tip of the site. You could hear even less of singer Alice Glass than usual, mind, but she compensated with a little crowd-surfing and Ethan Kath’s chugging electronic accompaniment inspired a second mass dance party outside the DJ tent so, all things considered, it was a reasonably successful outing.

Looking forward to Day 2.

creep
Site Admin

#8 Post by creep » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:15 am

well...the crowd seemed in to it in the beginning. :noclue:

Artemis

#9 Post by Artemis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:33 am

I couldn't see perryetty...were they even in that clip?? I have my glasses on.

Larry B.

#10 Post by Larry B. » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:50 am

Did anybody see the Chilean band "Los Bunkers"? I hate them, but it'd be nice to read a review from one of you peeps.

Deconstruction

#11 Post by Deconstruction » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:53 pm

creep wrote:well...the crowd seemed in to it in the beginning. :noclue:

The Nazi sheep were into Hitler's garbage too. What horse shit.

ant

#12 Post by ant » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:00 pm

Deconstruction wrote:
creep wrote:well...the crowd seemed in to it in the beginning. :noclue:

The Nazi sheep were into Hitler's garbage too. What horse shit.

Did you really just compare Perry & Etty to Hitler? :confused:

Larry B.

#13 Post by Larry B. » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:55 pm

aaaaand here we go...

esqfool

#14 Post by esqfool » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:05 pm

I'll defuse. Who'd you see at Lolla this weekend Six7Six7? Disappears and Joy Formidable are right on. Same with Black Lips and a few others.

perkana

#15 Post by perkana » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:53 pm

Larry B. wrote:aaaaand here we go...
:lol:

JOEinPHX

#16 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:04 pm

esqfool wrote:I'll defuse. Who'd you see at Lolla this weekend Six7Six7? Disappears and Joy Formidable are right on. Same with Black Lips and a few others.
I saw:

Eminem
Foo Fighters
Coldplay
APC
The Cars
Arctic Monkeys
Deftones
Explosions in the Sky
OK Go
Atmosphere
White Lies
Portugal. The Man.
Two Door Cinema Club
Delta Spirit
Noah & The Whale
The Vaccines
Foster The People
Chico Trujillo
The Naked and Famous
Rival Schools
Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
An Horse
Wye Oak
The Joy Formidable
Skylar Grey
The Pretty Reckless
The Bloody Beetroots Death Crew 77
PerryEtty Vs. Chris Cox
The Glitch Mob
L1ght

The Naked and Famous and The Joy Formidable were my favorites of the entire weekend. The first i knew and liked previously, the second won me over immediately with an amazing set. I even threw down 10 bucks for their album on the spot, which is something i never do. And it was the first thing i put in my CD player for the drive home today.

I caught a few of the acts at Perry's stage and when PerryEtty vs. Chris Cox came on you could hear the quality of the music drastically go down. Some of the DJs were incredibly unique and interesting in their approach, but Chris Cox just seemed to rely on the same backbeat with very little changes going on musically. Occasionally you'd see video of Perry and Etty caressing or dancing on the video monitors. I can't tell which parts Perry himself was adding, but it doesn't matter because it was all extremely mediocre. I happened to start walking away just as "Applause For You" (or some remix of it, anyway) began. i couldn't take any more of it. Partially because i just wasn't into it, and partially because the artist that had been on before was so much better in comparison.

When the rains came down on Sunday night (twice) i can say i was one of the lucky ones who had stuffed a poncho in my bag and had gotten it on in time to remain dry while standing in the hurricane-like downpour. I'd estimate by the time the foo fighters hit the stage, only 15-20,000 people remained. Possibly less. Whereas previously headliners had every bit of standing room filled, The Foos got fucked by the rain and played to a very sparse crowd. i stuck around and watched the whole set while standing in a puddle just because i had invested the time, money, and energy, and i wasn't going to let a little water prevent me from finishing out my weekend with the last notes that were played.

I have some regrets, obviously, as i normally do. There are just way too many bands to see and the stages are spread so far apart it's hard to get in everyone you want. Plus i was at odds with my brothers and nephew about who to see. My choice to see Muse got rejected due to the fact that we had seen them in 2007 and my brother wanted to see Coldplay since he had never seen them. That was the worst mistake i would say. He realized afterwards that we should have seen Muse. But otherwise i got in a pretty decent mix of artists and had a pretty damn good time. I wish it wasn't over, and hope next year is just as awesome.

Juana

#17 Post by Juana » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:24 pm

Saw some footage of Cee-Lo doing Danzig's "Mother" and that was pretty cool.

But looks like you had a good time I haven't been wanting to check out Lolla namely because of the distance to get there from here, if I was within driving distance I would definitely go. I don't want to fly up there because I wouldn't want to rent a car.

creep
Site Admin

#18 Post by creep » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:28 pm

Juana wrote: I don't want to fly up there because I wouldn't want to rent a car.
for a couple bucks you can jump on the train to get downtown but why spend all that money when you have festivals where you live??

Juana

#19 Post by Juana » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:31 pm

Well that is the other reason with SXSW, ACL and FUNFUNFUN, but I hear CHicago is a fun city.

Larry B.

#20 Post by Larry B. » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:01 pm

Six7Six7 wrote: Chico Trujillo
Any impressions?

JOEinPHX

#21 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:32 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote: Chico Trujillo
Any impressions?
Lots of energy. Lots of Spanish. And he dressed like Konnan :noclue:

Juana

#22 Post by Juana » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:58 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
esqfool wrote:I'll defuse. Who'd you see at Lolla this weekend Six7Six7? Disappears and Joy Formidable are right on. Same with Black Lips and a few others.
I saw:

Eminem
Foo Fighters
Coldplay
APC
The Cars
Arctic Monkeys
Deftones
Explosions in the Sky
OK Go
Atmosphere
White Lies
Portugal. The Man.
Two Door Cinema Club
Delta Spirit
Noah & The Whale
The Vaccines
Foster The People
Chico Trujillo
The Naked and Famous
Rival Schools
Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
An Horse
Wye Oak
The Joy Formidable
Skylar Grey
The Pretty Reckless
The Bloody Beetroots Death Crew 77
PerryEtty Vs. Chris Cox
The Glitch Mob
L1ght
How did you like the APC (saw them in SA and while I liked the new song didn't like that 8 of the 18 songs were from Emotive), Explosions In The Sky (being local they played around here a lot), Deftones (haven't really been into anything since White Pony) and Atmosphere's sets? I like the new Atmosphere album now but it took a few listens to really digest it.

Deconstruction

#23 Post by Deconstruction » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:46 am

I hope you booed Coldplay off the stage.

sinep

#24 Post by sinep » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:48 am

how was wye oak?

JOEinPHX

#25 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:19 am

Juana wrote:
How did you like the APC (saw them in SA and while I liked the new song didn't like that 8 of the 18 songs were from Emotive),
Love them. It was my 6th time seeing them. I was happy to hear songs from Emotive since they never really toured that record. And the fact that they didn't play Judith at all was pretty awesome. The 3 Libras remix they played was rad too. Totally unexpected type of set and i dug it.
Explosions In The Sky (being local they played around here a lot),
Had seen them once before. I really only saw them by default while waiting around for Foo fighters, but i like them so it was cool. They are good about waves of different types of energy. They chill everyone out and then get heavy and rock everyone's faces.
Deftones (haven't really been into anything since White Pony)[.quote]

They put on a great show. I have heard they are hit and miss, and last time i saw them it was definitely a miss. But this time Chino's voice seemed to hold up well so they really nailed the set.
and Atmosphere's sets? I like the new Atmosphere album now but it took a few listens to really digest it.

It was cool but probably not something i would see again. I know people seem to love them but i can't seem to get into it.