6. Irresistible Force :heart:
7. Broken People :heart: :heart:
8. Ultimate Reason :tiphat:
9. Splash A Little Water On It :banana:
10. Words Right Out Of My Mouth :aoa:

Pure Method

Re: TGEA- A month In

#27 Post by Pure Method » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:13 pm

jgp wrote:Yes, TGEA is catchy for a while, but I don't feel the music ... it's just sound to me. I don't feel like It's even worth holding out for live versions of the songs hoping they will come across with more energy, substance and depth. Personally, I think TGEA rates on a par with Strays. Good luck to them though, I will always love them for what they were.

About how I feel.

nausearockpig

#28 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:41 am

The initial sense of disappointment has leveled out and is now apathy, indifference and slight embarrassment for the JA of old.

LJF

#29 Post by LJF » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:57 pm

Haven't listened much since first week or so. The first 4 songs are really all I care for.

thisnameisinuse

#30 Post by thisnameisinuse » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:04 am

It's good. Not as good as Strays, though, let alone NS and RdlH. At the moment:

Irresistible Force
Twisted Tales
Underground
Curiosity Kills
I'll Hit You Back
End to the Lies
Ultimate Reason
Splash a Little Water on It
Words Right Out of My Mouth
Broken People

I think IF and TT and parts of Underground have quite an 'electronic/synth' sound but I like that.

bman

#31 Post by bman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:07 pm

I drove around a bit today and had it on. I actually REALLY REALLY like this record. It's very good. However, when you play it in a bar, or at a party, it's simply background music. It's not front and center like 1.0. But not many albums are anyway.

LJF

#32 Post by LJF » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:36 am

So I listened to the CD on my ride into work this morning. Still really like the first 4 songs, ETTL is a kick ass song. Not exactly classic JA, but to me it is the closest to JA 1.0. The rest is ok, but I still really hate the last song and think it is unlistenable. I like the music on ultimate reason, but fucking hate the lyrics. The lyrics overall aren't that great.

I will say I know nothing about the recording process but this is what I feel about the difference betweeb JA 1.0 and the new band. To me the big difference is Perry's vocals. He has either changed his singing style or changed the effects on his voice or both. ETTL sounds the most like old Perry, but there are times when he sounds almost like a lounge act. His new style or effects really make the band sound different.

Overall the CD is ok. The first four songs I really like and feel are good songs, but the rest of the cd is ok not great.

a headless shell

#33 Post by a headless shell » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:56 pm

hokahey wrote:
a headless shell wrote: We don't suffer fools / We outfool them
I hate this line. What the hell does that even mean?
I had no life, I had no love / I was a bug
I love this line. The vocals and the lyrics remind me of P4P era Perry.
I don't see what's hard to get about the first line? It's playing on multiple meanings of the word "fool," and reminds me of the line from "Obvious," "Fools don't fit in the boots I tread in."

Second line, well, different stokes for different folks I suppose.

I also like the line "You were the foreskin, I was the real head," because at least it's a memorable put-down, unlike the rest of the song's lyrics.

Enron

#34 Post by Enron » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:08 pm

It bats about the same as Strays. I like about 1/2 of it.

Underground (best rock song of '11)
Splash
Irresistible
Twisted
Curiosity

Everything else - eh.
Underground alone makes the album worthwhile.
Agreed. Though I wouldn't say it's the best thing Perry's done since KW. I would put SYTBS title track somewhere in there. Maybe the track with Thievery Corp., too. Oh, and Hot Lava.

Larry B.

#35 Post by Larry B. » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:06 pm

a headless shell wrote:
hokahey wrote:
a headless shell wrote: We don't suffer fools / We outfool them
I hate this line. What the hell does that even mean?
I had no life, I had no love / I was a bug
I love this line. The vocals and the lyrics remind me of P4P era Perry.
I don't see what's hard to get about the first line? It's playing on multiple meanings of the word "fool," and reminds me of the line from "Obvious," "Fools don't fit in the boots I tread in."

Second line, well, different stokes for different folks I suppose.

I also like the line "You were the foreskin, I was the real head," because at least it's a memorable put-down, unlike the rest of the song's lyrics.
I HATE the fact that one songs begins with "I had no life, I had no love" and another with "I had no mother, I felt no trust". And they are right next to each other. Hate it.

Warped

#36 Post by Warped » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:53 pm

I listened to it yesterday really loud and i love it. The music is great. Underground is a great opener and ETTL sounds amazing blasting through the speakers. I try to ignore some of the lyrics ...like Larry said the I had no life, i had no love and i had no mother ....thing bothers me too.... :eyes:
Splash a little water :love: (lyrics on that one are good too)

I wonder what we have to expect for next year. Didn't Perry say they are looking for a band to tour with ??? I guess i read that somewhere on fb or twitter.

JOEinPHX

#37 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:20 am

Warped wrote:
Didn't Perry say they are looking for a band to tour with ??? I guess i read that somewhere on fb or twitter.
They are probably having such a hard time because every other band from their era is bigger than they are and won't let Jane's headline with a 70 minute set.

Maybe they could get Tonic or Better Than Ezra to go out with them.

Japhy

#38 Post by Japhy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:44 am

Not sure i like the sound of touring in 3 week stints (as they've mentioned a couple of times), especially if that's like 3 weeks in Europe... not exactly gonna amount to many shows in one country. But i'd be slightly happier if they went back to an "organic" approach... design a couple of great flyers to promote and hand out at shows, play small clubs, keep it stripped down on stage (but a bit of paraphenalia wouldn't go amiss) and mix the shows each night... different openers / closers / save Jane Says for 1 in 5 shows etc.

But back on topic, i've just started playing the odd song again after a relatively lengthy break... nothing has changed in that the songs i initially liked, i still like, and the others i'm still unsure of. Splash, ETTL, Underground and Broken People are still my favourites.

Larry B.

#39 Post by Larry B. » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:30 am

Japhy wrote:But i'd be slightly happier if they went back to an "organic" approach... design a couple of great flyers to promote and hand out at shows, play small clubs, keep it stripped down on stage (but a bit of paraphenalia wouldn't go amiss) and mix the shows each night... different openers / closers / save Jane Says for 1 in 5 shows etc.
That's what Eric wanted and he found resistance from Perry. 21 seconds after Eric left the band, Perry called his management and told them about how an organic approach would be the best thing to do and that they should record new music.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#40 Post by Hokahey » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:28 am

a headless shell wrote: I don't see what's hard to get about the first line? It's playing on multiple meanings of the word "fool,"
Instead of being condescending why don'y you explain it to me?

Here, I'll explain to you why it is stupid.
What I feel. Is Different than the word love. Love is for fools. What I feel. Isn't foolish.
Oh, okay, I'm with you Perry. You're quoting an old cliche and saying what you have must not be love because it isn't foolish. Dumb, but it makes sense I suppose. Although that could be interpreted as you saying you don't love your wife. But whatever. I'll play along.
We don't suffer fools, we out fool them.
You don't tolerate fools...you outfool them? Meaning...you're a bigger fool? Are we still referring to being in love as foolish and you're saying you are more in love? But I thought what you had was different than love because love is foolish, insinuating you think foolishness is bad so you don't want to compare what you feel to it.
and reminds me of the line from "Obvious," "Fools don't fit in the boots I tread in."
Because it has the word "fool" in it? :lolol: :lolol:
Ooooh....Well that really says all we need to know.

a headless shell

#41 Post by a headless shell » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:48 pm

hokahey wrote:
a headless shell wrote: I don't see what's hard to get about the first line? It's playing on multiple meanings of the word "fool,"
Instead of being condescending why don'y you explain it to me?

Here, I'll explain to you why it is stupid.
What I feel. Is Different than the word love. Love is for fools. What I feel. Isn't foolish.
Oh, okay, I'm with you Perry. You're quoting an old cliche and saying what you have must not be love because it isn't foolish. Dumb, but it makes sense I suppose. Although that could be interpreted as you saying you don't love your wife. But whatever. I'll play along.
We don't suffer fools, we out fool them.
You don't tolerate fools...you outfool them? Meaning...you're a bigger fool? Are we still referring to being in love as foolish and you're saying you are more in love? But I thought what you had was different than love because love is foolish, insinuating you think foolishness is bad so you don't want to compare what you feel to it.
and reminds me of the line from "Obvious," "Fools don't fit in the boots I tread in."
Because it has the word "fool" in it? :lolol: :lolol:
Ooooh....Well that really says all we need to know.
outfool (third-person singular simple present outfools, present participle outfooling, simple past and past participle outfooled)

1. (transitive) to be more foolish than.
2. (transitive) to outwit

embrace_the_darkness

#42 Post by embrace_the_darkness » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:42 am

The new album treads new ground for Janes Addiction.... But it's all very boring and familiar ground that's been tread a billion times before by other bands...

They have completely removed themselves from what they are adored for and taken up other influences that are nowhere near as interesting.

bman

#43 Post by bman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:03 am

There old dudes. No weirdness anymore. I still dig the album. But a song like Sadness interests me more than Irrestible Force still.

Kajicat

#44 Post by Kajicat » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:26 pm

Just listened all the way through the album for the first time in about a month and thought it was great, like a 8/10. WTF is going on here?! The only song I don't like is Words... but the rest all hit me up the side of the head like what. :noclue: :yeay:

bman

#45 Post by bman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:25 pm

I kinda like Words...I love the little acoustic part towards the end...I love the Album. Twisted Tales is the one song that really doesn't do much for me. First listen I was slighly embarressed by Splash. Now I really dig it.

Diabolik

#46 Post by Diabolik » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:24 am

Album has totally fallen off my radar.

Listened to it nonstop the first week...but it faded.

I think I'd still be into it as much as I was if their was a tour, or something, ANYTHING to remind me...

The RHCP are on tour so there's constant youtube videos and BTS tour videos and photos etc....I'm still listening to that album a good amount and still excited. But TGEA just sorta popped out and then...nothing.

Totally a missed opportunity... I doubt they even mount a big tour. Who's gonna care?

Feels like a total mismanagement of what a supposedly big rock release should be...

creep
Site Admin

#47 Post by creep » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:34 am

Diabolik wrote: I doubt they even mount a big tour. Who's gonna care?
perry asked yesterday on twitter for small theaters that they can play. a small theater tour would be the right choice and i would probably go again. they are playing a radio station festival thing here this week that i am skipping. i have no interest seeing them at a festival.

Jasper

#48 Post by Jasper » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:01 am

Small theaters? Glad to hear it. I could probably be lured out for that.

Warped

#49 Post by Warped » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:05 am

Diabolik wrote:Album has totally fallen off my radar.

Listened to it nonstop the first week...but it faded.

I think I'd still be into it as much as I was if their was a tour, or something, ANYTHING to remind me...

The RHCP are on tour so there's constant youtube videos and BTS tour videos and photos etc....I'm still listening to that album a good amount and still excited. But TGEA just sorta popped out and then...nothing.

Totally a missed opportunity... I doubt they even mount a big tour. Who's gonna care?

Feels like a total mismanagement of what a supposedly big rock release should be...
I agree with the exception that i still listen to TGEA a lot and i still like it a lot.
But i don't get the way the band handles it. No talk about it anymore, no shows (or almost no except for one or two in a month since the release). WTF? And Dave doesn't get tired of saying that he does not want to talk about it anymore. Don't they want to play it LIVE? I am bummed out by this. Is Perry to busy with Lolla ?

Yes, a small theatre tour would be really great, if they make it to Europe then. But if they wait another year (or even half a year) to do it, then better forget it.
:balls: :banghead:

Artemis

#50 Post by Artemis » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:13 pm

creep wrote:
Diabolik wrote: I doubt they even mount a big tour. Who's gonna care?
perry asked yesterday on twitter for small theaters that they can play. a small theater tour would be the right choice and i would probably go again. they are playing a radio station festival thing here this week that i am skipping. i have no interest seeing them at a festival.
since i don't twitter, could you twitter on my behalf,please?

for toronto suggest: the horseshow tavern, lee's palace, the phoenix, mod club, the carlu