The Contrarian: IF Remix

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
CaseyContrarian

The Contrarian: IF Remix

#1 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:29 pm

So... Who should produce this band? :bigrin:

Seriously, though. I spent about 2 hours total on this, even though I replayed the bass part and added guitars that I thought were way more like old-school Dave might have done. Was gonna re-do the drums, but I have my own stuff to work on. It's less of a remix than what I think JA 1.0 might have sounded like doing this song. That should make you curious, right? Listen on good speakers or headphones.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3546A5BS

Looking forward to feedback.

Matz

Re: The Contrarian: IF Remix

#2 Post by Matz » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:35 pm

it's nice especially considering the fact that you only spent two hours doing it, good guitar and bass work. Way ahead of Trevor but way behind the Mindless Faith mix that won the contest IMO

creep
Site Admin

#3 Post by creep » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:54 pm

i like it. thanks for not doing a shitty techno-electroinic version. i probably like this better than the original.

Juana

#4 Post by Juana » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:23 pm

Nice but I will probably have to listen to it a couple more times to make an educated opinion and I didn't listen to the other remixed album so I don't know which one is better. The other one was a remix of the whole album and I really don't like the whole album as I haven't listened to it since the first couple days I had it.

CaseyContrarian

#5 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:40 pm

Juana wrote:Nice but I will probably have to listen to it a couple more times to make an educated opinion and I didn't listen to the other remixed album so I don't know which one is better. The other one was a remix of the whole album and I really don't like the whole album as I haven't listened to it since the first couple days I had it.
This isn't really a remix so much as it is me with a couple of hours and the desire to put an actual bass line on a new JA song. I probably shouldn't have slowed it down those couple of notches, as it created artifacts in the original track. And then I mastered it, which is dumb, because the stems are already compressed to shit. So it's kind of a rush job. But it was fun tossing off some licks that I thought the old band might have done. Problem is, IF is still not a JA song, which I realized when I was trying to do Dave-ish things that come very naturally in heavy/psych settings, but here they just don't fly.

Thanks for checking it out, though.

Hype

#6 Post by Hype » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:09 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Juana wrote:Nice but I will probably have to listen to it a couple more times to make an educated opinion and I didn't listen to the other remixed album so I don't know which one is better. The other one was a remix of the whole album and I really don't like the whole album as I haven't listened to it since the first couple days I had it.
This isn't really a remix so much as it is me with a couple of hours and the desire to put an actual bass line on a new JA song. I probably shouldn't have slowed it down those couple of notches, as it created artifacts in the original track. And then I mastered it, which is dumb, because the stems are already compressed to shit. So it's kind of a rush job. But it was fun tossing off some licks that I thought the old band might have done. Problem is, IF is still not a JA song, which I realized when I was trying to do Dave-ish things that come very naturally in heavy/psych settings, but here they just don't fly.

Thanks for checking it out, though.
Really good. I like the nod to Up The Beach you threw in at one point. :rockon:

SR

#7 Post by SR » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:05 am

This is gonna leave a mark on a few. :lolol:

:rockon:

Larry B.

#8 Post by Larry B. » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:16 am

Very nice. At some points I felt like there was too much going on, but your additions definitely sound a lot more like JA 1.0.

Good job :thumb:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#9 Post by Hokahey » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:30 am

Not bad at all. The song instantly improves just losing Perry's spoken part in the beginning.

JOEinPHX

#10 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:40 am

Dude, I am digging this. Sounds way more like classic Jane's

And yeah, dropping Perry's spoken shit at the beginning was a good call.

trevor ayer

#11 Post by trevor ayer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:04 pm

how much nyquil did u drink while mixing this? .. talk about a "hot mess" .. why suggest good speakers when u cooked it down to an mp3 .. bass sounds direct and cheap .. guitar lines are typical blues wanker stock solos .. not like old school dave at all .. doesnt really sound different from the original except the couple of drop outs you took from my mix (ha) .. then what do u do? .. u butcher the best part of the song, daves solo, with your strait up blues hardrock solo that i have heard in every fucking song ever put on the radio .. goes up goes down goes fast then grinds .. dave solo was simple but it rocked .. no i dont think you should produce janes next record .. cuz you left in the bad parts and took out the good parts and then made it sound like john mayer was noodling over it .. no thats not a compliment u john mayer fans out there .. i agree that its better than those techno crap remixes people do .. especially that horrid one that won the contest .. but it still is not significantly different or creative .. just u showing that you can kinda play bass and pull off an uninteresting guitar solo .. i guess that was the point .. look at me i play guitar too .. but yeah .. maybe in a bar band .. i would make a much better producer cuz even tho i was tempted to add some musical parts .. especially to smoothe out the edits you rockheads bitch about so much .. i wanted it to be 1000 percent janes ... my position is that i can work with them .. pull out there greatness and get rid of the mediocrity .. u have simply added another level of mediocrity to the mix .. anyway thats my honest feedback .. its boring .. but it does seem a lot of people like boring .. but i dont think you elevated the song at all .. did you play ur guitar direct thru an iphone app .. doesnt even sound like a real amp .. thats not a compliment either btw ..

here is my IF REMIX and i think its a thousand times better than janes, the remix winner, or this non essential rambling by casey .. i am sure y'all will flame away but at least u've got the goods to compare song for song ..

so again .. trevor for producer of the next janes record !!! vote now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XRHkMNE-4g

and here is the lossless download for those of you with ears
http://trevorayer.bandcamp.com/track/ir ... revor-ayer

:cool:
Last edited by trevor ayer on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hype

#12 Post by Hype » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:10 pm

The Contrarian one sounds far better to me. Taste is taste, I guess. You guys clearly just have very different ideas about how things should sound.

JOEinPHX

#13 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:10 pm

Trevor is smoking a whole lot of crack these days.

creep
Site Admin

#14 Post by creep » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:15 pm

:lolol: this fight is somewhat entertaining. does anyone like trevor's better?

JOEinPHX

#15 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:17 pm

creep wrote::lolol: this fight is somewhat entertaining. does anyone like trevor's better?

JOEinPHX

#16 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:18 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:The Contrarian one sounds far better to me. Taste is taste, I guess. You guys clearly just have very different ideas about how things should sound.
One thinks it should sounds like Jane's Addiction 1.0 :rockon:

and the other thinks it should sound like the TGEA CD is scratched and skipping :balls:

Hype

#17 Post by Hype » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:22 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:The Contrarian one sounds far better to me. Taste is taste, I guess. You guys clearly just have very different ideas about how things should sound.
One thinks it should sounds like Jane's Addiction 1.0 :rockon:

and the other thinks it should sound like the TGEA CD is scratched and skipping :balls:
:lol: It's funny to me how easily Casey shows how important the bassline is to JA's sound, even if it's a super-simple repetitive thing. We already knew that, but hearing it on an existing song (one I don't even like, by the way... IF is one of my least favourite on TGEA) reinforces it.

trevor ayer

#18 Post by trevor ayer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:22 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
creep wrote::lolol: this fight is somewhat entertaining. does anyone like trevor's better?
:lol:

check the count on the vid

Hype

#19 Post by Hype » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:26 pm

trevor ayer wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

That proves absolutely nothing except that 10 (when I checked) people like your version to some degree or other. It doesn't tell you whether they like it more or less than someone else's or the original.

JOEinPHX

#20 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:32 pm

trevor ayer wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

Sweet dude!

Check out the views on the video i uploaded...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoUo8S9TmS4

14,000 views! i'm a genius!

Artemis

#21 Post by Artemis » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:36 pm

I find IF aurally disagreeable and can not listen to any version of it.

It's my second least favourite song on TGEA, one that I would skip over.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#22 Post by Hokahey » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:37 pm

Six7Six7 wrote: One thinks it should sounds like Jane's Addiction 1.0 :rockon:

Yeah, gotta agree. Sorry Trevor. But no reason for you to show up and shit on Casey's parade.

trevor ayer

#23 Post by trevor ayer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:37 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

That proves absolutely nothing except that 10 (when I checked) people like your version to some degree or other. It doesn't tell you whether they like it more or less than someone else's or the original.
um or maybe it means there is a possibility somebody might actually like my mix .. do ya think? :cool:

Hype

#24 Post by Hype » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:37 pm

Artemis wrote:I find IF aurally disagreeable and can not listen to any version of it.

It's my second least favourite song on TGEA, one that I would skip over.
Perry vocals are really unbearable. :nod:

Hype

#25 Post by Hype » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:39 pm

trevor ayer wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

um or maybe it means there is a possibility somebody might actually like my mix .. do ya think? :cool:
That's what I said... But it's irrelevant -- it tells us nothing relating to your dispute with Casey.