Warning: Music Composition nerdery inside

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
CaseyContrarian

Re: Warning: Music Composition nerdery inside

#26 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:45 pm

Sure, but they are both stupidly common modes. If you've ever jammed to Zep or the Dead, you know them intuitively.

Hype

#27 Post by Hype » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:47 pm

I once asked my German Lit. prof if she thought great poets counted syllables. :lol:

CaseyContrarian

#28 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:06 pm

I also think Dave falsely testifies to theoretical ignorance because it allowed him to be a rock axe hero in the era of Rhoads and Malmsteen, etc., without having to give up the punk cred that informed JA 1.0.

To state again, plainly: Dorian mode is not something that many practiced "ear" musicians would find foreign. Modes are subtle shifts in the tonal center of scales, which many guitarists understand as neck patterns based on root notes on the E and A strings, respectively. Unlocking this map and knowing the name of at least a few typical modes (Phrygian for metal, Dorian for art-rock/blues and Mixolydian for hippie-jam) is as common for lead guitarists as knowing which pedal produces which sound.

Dave is probably being a bit disingenuous to maintain the myth.

Matz

#29 Post by Matz » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:31 am

CaseyContrarian wrote:I also think Dave falsely testifies to theoretical ignorance because it allowed him to be a rock axe hero in the era of Rhoads and Malmsteen, etc., without having to give up the punk cred that informed JA 1.0.
I think there'a a lot of truth to that, I've thought the same thing myself. He's said a few times 'I'm a box player' that's all I know, yet the Three days solo spans the entire neck, and he's well versed in major scales as he demonstrates in Tearjerker fx. He knows more than he'll like us to know. But he is a very big natural talent so there is a lot of intuition going on also

Leto

#30 Post by Leto » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:43 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:I also think Dave falsely testifies to theoretical ignorance because it allowed him to be a rock axe hero in the era of Rhoads and Malmsteen, etc., without having to give up the punk cred that informed JA 1.0.

To state again, plainly: Dorian mode is not something that many practiced "ear" musicians would find foreign. Modes are subtle shifts in the tonal center of scales, which many guitarists understand as neck patterns based on root notes on the E and A strings, respectively. Unlocking this map and knowing the name of at least a few typical modes (Phrygian for metal, Dorian for art-rock/blues and Mixolydian for hippie-jam) is as common for lead guitarists as knowing which pedal produces which sound.

Dave is probably being a bit disingenuous to maintain the myth.
He probably read guitar player magazines to learn solos, riffs, etc when he was younger, like the shit hot foldout in the new guitarslayer magazine that has a breakdown of Eddie Van Halen's Eruption solo. With his innate talent, he would have absorbed theory even if he didn't make an effort to remember the names of scales, modes, etc.

sinep

#31 Post by sinep » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:21 am

you should hear me solo... it's like "wo wo wo wowowowowchica wo wow wo wo wooooow"

i don't konw if its dorian or machiavellian that i'm playing it, but i know it's fucking radical.

nausearockpig

#32 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:25 am

sinep wrote:you should hear me solo... it's like "wo wo wo wowowowowchica wo wow wo wo wooooow"

i don't konw if its dorian or machiavellian that i'm playing it, but i know it's fucking radical.
it's true.. plus he does it all on his air guitar.. it looks & sounds so fucking cool when he rips it up.. he really shreds...

and by the way SeeNip(ples - yeah that's really what your new username means), all your playing is in the Delorian.. cramped, ingenious but sadly not picked up by the majors and destined to be shelved......

dannyboy

#33 Post by dannyboy » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:57 pm

Does Eric say in whores that he thinks he borrowed the guitar part from A song a guitar player in one of his old bands wrote??? Don't think it was pete d or Chris b though...