Juana

Re: Ummm...eventually he'll run out of room

#2 Post by Juana » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:41 pm

If they make him happy I have no issue having a shit load of ink done myself

Hokahey
Site Admin

#3 Post by Hokahey » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:46 pm

I like Dave's tattoos. I think they look pretty good.

bman

#4 Post by bman » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:54 pm

He should buzz his hair though!

creep
Site Admin

#5 Post by creep » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:21 pm

they are looking better with more shading and larger tattoos. i don't think the random tattoos all over the place look good.

Bandit72

#6 Post by Bandit72 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:33 pm

I think the fact they are all black makes it better. He may look ridiculous in 20 years, but the monotone does look good.

Matz

#7 Post by Matz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:56 pm

hmmm, don't know about the chest piece, no not really a fan but yeah if it makes him happy that's all that matters

crater

#8 Post by crater » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:55 pm

Needed something to cover up the CE

Kajicat

#9 Post by Kajicat » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:07 pm

Yeah he's finally trying to cover up the "CE" on his chest. Carmen must be DEVASTATED. I always liked Dave's ink but that new chest piece is wack. That's all he wanted to get to cover up the CE? A freakin' bleeding heart with barbed wire? Pretty cliche tat.

JOEinPHX

#10 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:02 pm

Kajicat wrote:Yeah he's finally trying to cover up the "CE" on his chest. Carmen must be DEVASTATED. I always liked Dave's ink but that new chest piece is wack. That's all he wanted to get to cover up the CE? A freakin' bleeding heart with barbed wire? Pretty cliche tat.
It could be worse, he could have pentagrams on his knees.

oh. :conf:

Jasper

#11 Post by Jasper » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:03 pm

Kajicat wrote:Yeah he's finally trying to cover up the "CE" on his chest. Carmen must be DEVASTATED. I always liked Dave's ink but that new chest piece is wack. That's all he wanted to get to cover up the CE? A freakin' bleeding heart with barbed wire? Pretty cliche tat.
Uh...that's not barbed wire, bro. It's thorns. That's the Sacred Heart.

Artemis

#12 Post by Artemis » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:12 pm

bman wrote:He should buzz his hair though!
Yeah, he can use a cut. His hair looks kinda scraggly and thin with split ends. He would look younger and healthier with a shorter do. :nod:

Matz

#13 Post by Matz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:43 pm

Jasper wrote:

]
:lol:

Kajicat

#14 Post by Kajicat » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:18 pm

Jasper wrote:

Oh God EVEN WORSE.
Thanks for the heads up, bro.

Hype

#15 Post by Hype » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:54 pm

He covered up CE with .... AD... :wiggle:

chaos

#16 Post by chaos » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:34 pm

http://loudwire.com/dave-navarro-tattoo ... n-electra/
DAVE NAVARRO ON TATTOOS AND WHY HE WON’T REMOVE ONE DEDICATED TO EX-WIFE CARMEN ELECTRA
by: Alanna Conaway
October 16, 2011

Dave Navarro is just about as well known for his tattoos as he is for his incredible musicianship as the lead guitarist of Jane’s Addiction. The dark and sexy Navarro recently spoke with Inked Magazine about some of his tattoos and shared memories of when he got his first tat with former bandmate Eric Avery.

“[We] were in a bar, getting drunk and talking about tattoos,” Navarro recalled. “We were really fascinated with them at that time, because it seemed like an underground lifestyle. The drinks just flowed, we got the courage and we ran over to Bob Roberts’s shop and got them. I was hooked. People asked me, ‘What are you going to do when you’re an old man?’ And the answer was: I’ll be an old man with tattoos.”

Navarro’s favorite tattoo is the one he has on his lower back which says “Constance.”

“It’s my mom’s name and was done in the early ’90s by Charlie McDonald,” explained Navarro. “It’s more than likely my favorite because of what it stands for as a commemorative piece for my mom, who passed when I was 15. Second to that is probably the portrait of my mom on my rib cage done by Kat Von D. They are similar in nature, and both of those pieces are actually unusual for me because both of them required appointments. Generally speaking, I’m not the artwork-planning type. I prefer spur-of-the-moment tattoos, like, ‘Let’s just roll over and get something done right away.’ I like the instant gratification, hence I have a lot of smaller pieces.”

Which was exactly how his latest tattoo of stars came about. “I was sitting at lunch with a friend of mine, and I said, ‘You know what, I want to go get stars tattooed right now,’” he said. “We were in and out of there in half an hour. To me there’s a bunch of different thoughts and reasons why you get tattooed. Sometimes it’s for an aesthetic reason, sometimes it’s because you think an image is cool and you like it a lot. Sometimes there’s meaning behind things, stories and personal experiences you’re trying to commemorate and capture. So being able to just have a feeling and jam over and get something done to commemorate what’s happening in your life at that time is a pretty cool thing to do, and I love it.”

“You also run the risk of walking away with some s—-y tattoos,” Navarro continued. “Some of [those] tattoos I have go down as my favorites because of the time and the experience, so it’s not about looking perfect. I had an artist once f— up something really bad and I said, ‘Wow, dude, you kinda f—-d that up.’ And he said, ‘Well, it’s an imperfect art form, it’s all right.’”

No matter how bad the tattoos may turn out, Navarro says lasering them off is never an option, even when it comes to the “CE” he has inked on his sternum for his ex-wife, Carmen Electra.

“I feel like at some point your body becomes like a walking diary and you’ve got to live with it,” noted Navarro. “I still had that experience. It’s a part of my story and my life, so I celebrate that. I feel that to cover up something would be to deny having gone through it. I had a great time being married to [Carmen]. That’s my life. And the fact of the matter is, all those elements are things that, as human beings — not to get too spiritual — are collective pieces of who you are today. I probably wouldn’t be who I am today had I not gone through that marriage. I’m not going deny that marriage and then go get it lasered off and get a f—–g skull to cover up the scar. A skull means nothing to me. It’s similar to trying to un-ring a bell.”

JOEinPHX

#17 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:40 pm

He didn't get a skull.

Warped

#18 Post by Warped » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:44 pm

Artemis wrote:
bman wrote:He should buzz his hair though!
Yeah, he can use a cut. His hair looks kinda scraggly and thin with split ends. He would look younger and healthier with a shorter do. :nod:
Agreed. I liked the short hair he had during the beginning of OHM times.

About the sacred heart : i like it, looks pretty good and way better than that shitty CE. He also explained why he did the cover up some time ago on DM i think. People change their mind, so what. And he still has the marriage date.

Deconstruction

#19 Post by Deconstruction » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:46 am

Touching story about the tattoos of Dave's Mom. Very tragic what happened to her.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#20 Post by Hokahey » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:55 am

Yeah I wish they'd all get a buzz cut.

Tyler Durden

#21 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:28 am

hokahey wrote:Yeah I wish they'd all get a buzz cut.
I wish Perry would bring back his shaved head look from '91. That or his sleazeball look from Woodstock '94. Those were his most flattering looks without dreads.

Perry today:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#22 Post by Hokahey » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:46 am

Chaney had a buzz cut during the end of the '03 club tour. Quit wearing a shirt. He actually looked like he fit in the band.

Jasper

#23 Post by Jasper » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:48 am

Kajicat wrote:Oh God EVEN WORSE.
But Jane's has always used Catholic imagery, and imagery from derivative hybrids like Vodou and Santería . Even in songs we can find examples, what with the catacombs and angels, trinities of Jesuses and Marys, and so on.

The cover (and most of the guts) of RDLH is based on Catholic folk art, and is full of little bits and pieces of Catholicism (and derivative religions)...

In the Catholic Church, a novena is a devotion consisting of a prayer repeated on nine successive days, asking to obtain special graces.
and that sort of stuff has continually popped up in other places...

Santa Lucia

Some Día de Muertos imagery

Just sayin'. :noclue:

wally

#24 Post by wally » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:50 am

anyone else find it ironic that Dave is doing this "Ink Master" show and has some atrociously bad tattoos?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#25 Post by Hokahey » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:53 am

wally wrote:anyone else find it ironic that Dave is doing this "Ink Master" show and has some atrociously bad tattoos?
I guess if you think he has some atrocious ones. Without studying pictures of a half nakes Dave while at work I have to say none of them stand out as atrociously bad. At least not the ones that stand out.