Dave on H. Stern 1/17

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
JOEinPHX

Re: Dave on H. Stern 1/17

#26 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:07 am

Bandit72 wrote:Is he the best paid 'entertainer ' in the US?
Letterman might give him a run for his money.

And most people would think Leno, but Letterman owns the production company that produces his show and many others for CBS. So he's making a shit ton more than Jay is.

Letterman was another smart guy who realize he was a brand rather than just a hired talent.

Matz

#27 Post by Matz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:09 am

bman wrote:I totally disagree. Great interviewer. Everytime I listen to that show, especially on long drives up to Vermont, I am ALWAYS extremely satisfied. Just listening to him and his cohorts rank on eachother is the best part of the show.
I agree, I think he's really entertaining a lot of the time and very funny and as bman says a great interviewer. He's also a man of deep integrity which is so fuckin rare to see. I listened to some of the old shows on the History of Howard Stern or whatever those retrospective shows were called and I didn't find him funny in 1990 fx

JOEinPHX

#28 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:21 am

The 90s was when he had the E! show though.

I loved the E! show.

I remember staying up till 2am so i could catch the 2-3am airing, even though i had to be up for school at 7am.

Romeo

#29 Post by Romeo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:05 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Yeah he literally generates BILLIONS of dollars in revenue every year.

He was smart enough to realize it and demand a piece. And unlike other radio guys, he's not replaceable. He invented the shock jock thing. He has millions of loyal listeners that will follow him wherever he goes and whatever he does.

He's like Michael Jordan was for the NBA. No one can touch him, and his appeal can't be duplicated. It put his bosses in a strange position they don't have to deal with otherwise. They can either pay Howard what he wants, or he will go to a competitor, crush them, cause them to lose a shit ton of money, possibly bankrupt the radio station, and most likely end up out of a job.

He's basically the worst nightmare of anyone who has to deal with him because he is his own brand. They are leasing his brand, not trying to break him anywhere like they have to do with everyone else.
Howard Stern did not "invent" the shock jock thing
Shock jocks have been around way longer than Howard's been throwing bologna at strippers asses.

Most notibly the two radio guys in Chi town that staged the disco demo night at comiskey park and started a riot. And don't forget Don Imus who was at WNBC before Howard came to NYC

Romeo

#30 Post by Romeo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:08 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Stern was a legitimately funny guy and surrounded himself with a great crew in the early 90's. When Billy West left the show and Howard did the book and movie around '96, that's when he turned a corner and the creative slide began at the expense of marketing himself for the buck. The last decade, he's become a shallow, unfunny, hypocritical parody of himself with his idiot trophy wife (who makes Etty look like Einstein) who pals around with fellow Hamptons toolbag celebs like Billy Joel. Yeah, he's a "brand" now and is certainly fabulously wealthy but so is someone like Rush Limbaugh.
I agree. When he was on Terrestrial radio he was much funnier. Because he had to be creative to get around the FCC.

On Sirrus when all bets are off it certainly loses the creativity

JOEinPHX

#31 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:50 pm

Romeo wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Yeah he literally generates BILLIONS of dollars in revenue every year.

He was smart enough to realize it and demand a piece. And unlike other radio guys, he's not replaceable. He invented the shock jock thing. He has millions of loyal listeners that will follow him wherever he goes and whatever he does.

He's like Michael Jordan was for the NBA. No one can touch him, and his appeal can't be duplicated. It put his bosses in a strange position they don't have to deal with otherwise. They can either pay Howard what he wants, or he will go to a competitor, crush them, cause them to lose a shit ton of money, possibly bankrupt the radio station, and most likely end up out of a job.

He's basically the worst nightmare of anyone who has to deal with him because he is his own brand. They are leasing his brand, not trying to break him anywhere like they have to do with everyone else.
Howard Stern did not "invent" the shock jock thing
Shock jocks have been around way longer than Howard's been throwing bologna at strippers asses.

Most notibly the two radio guys in Chi town that staged the disco demo night at comiskey park and started a riot. And don't forget Don Imus who was at WNBC before Howard came to NYC
Nope.

He invented it.

Romeo

#32 Post by Romeo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:19 pm

yea. Ok. whatever. :eyes:

Pandemonium

#33 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:55 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:The 90s was when he had the E! show though.

I loved the E! show.

I remember staying up till 2am so i could catch the 2-3am airing, even though i had to be up for school at 7am.
The Channel 9 show which was about 5 years before he did the E show was fucking excellent. That was Stern at his peak. There is just no comparison to how funny his show was at that time compared to what it is now, or even the last 15 years. If Stern ever released some sort of unedited box dvd set of the entire run, that'd be a day one purchase for me.

JOEinPHX

#34 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:38 am

He IS the King of all Media, so i guess he should probably conquer that medium next.

Bandit72

#35 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:41 am

Six7Six7 wrote:He IS the King of all Media, so i guess he should probably conquer that medium next.
He's hardly Rupert Murdoch.

bman

#36 Post by bman » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:02 am

People who don't like Howard Stern should be banned from this site! They are either just haters (who never really listened and just have their ow opinion), or just have no humor. That's why I actually love Dark Matter. There is NOTHING funnier than a bunch of friends who have known eachother for years who sit arounf ranking on eachother.

JOEinPHX

#37 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:04 am

Dark Matter is pretty damn entertaining.

I kind of wish Dave and Todd would do Spread Radio Live too. Just random dicking around and playing music for people. I miss the spontaneity of it.

Bandit72

#38 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:00 pm

bman wrote:People who don't like Howard Stern should be banned from this site! They are either just haters (who never really listened and just have their ow opinion), or just have no humor. That's why I actually love Dark Matter. There is NOTHING funnier than a bunch of friends who have known eachother for years who sit arounf ranking on eachother.
Are you implying me? I loved Private Parts, thought it was excellent, and that my friend is as much Howard Stern as you get in the UK. I bet his shows are great, my only point was I didn't think a "DJ" should be paid as much as he is. But after reading what people have written, maybe he is? :noclue:

Warped

#39 Post by Warped » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:03 pm

Spread TV was also great. I loved the Mr. Navarro#s neighbourhood videos. :lol:

JOEinPHX

#40 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Bandit72 wrote:
bman wrote:People who don't like Howard Stern should be banned from this site! They are either just haters (who never really listened and just have their ow opinion), or just have no humor. That's why I actually love Dark Matter. There is NOTHING funnier than a bunch of friends who have known eachother for years who sit arounf ranking on eachother.
Are you implying me? I loved Private Parts, thought it was excellent, and that my friend is as much Howard Stern as you get in the UK. I bet his shows are great, my only point was I didn't think a "DJ" should be paid as much as he is. But after reading what people have written, maybe he is? :noclue:
Oh i didn't realize you weren't American.

Ok, let me put it in terms you'll understand...

Howard Stern is the David Beckham of radio. :lol:

Bandit72

#41 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Ah ha! Now I understand.

David Beckham = Most overrated footballer of modern times. FACT.

JOEinPHX

#42 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:42 pm

ok then, he's tea and crumpets of radio.

haha

Bandit72

#43 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:55 pm

Jolly good. I must tune in one time. Bottoms up, what ho! :thumb:

JOEinPHX

#44 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:27 pm

he's on BBC 100 and BBC 101

Bandit72

#45 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:06 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:he's on BBC 100 and BBC 101
WTF are they? Lol

feathers mcgraw

#46 Post by feathers mcgraw » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:31 pm

I thought BBC 100 was the waste land where you got to the channel with the lowest number on your TV, and then press down.

Yes, I too am a limey english fag.

Kajicat

#47 Post by Kajicat » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:00 pm

Fuck it I liked the interview. Navarro is great, and I don't pay too much attention to Stern but every time I hear him talk I tend to really pay attention. On point.

Matz

#48 Post by Matz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:46 am

his last appearance on the Stern show was much better. This was like a dumbed down repeat of it

kv

#49 Post by kv » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:29 am

tubro wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Come on, Janes was Howard's second pick for his Private Parts movie soundtrack after Van Halen wanted 1 million for a single new song with David Lee Roth in '97.
in fairness, i think that was more of a p4p/perry thing. i don't know that howard ever mentioned or indicated giving a shit about jane's pre-relapse. perry used to go on the show when p4p was in town and was a fun guest. and while p4p with dave and flea did that amazing 2 song set outside msg during the premier, the song was hardly in the movie and the made up scene about giving the people of new york a gift concert when howard became number 1 had ac/dc in it. that's howard's rock sweet spot. not jane's.
they play been caught a lot on the show and every single time perry goes on and on about what a kick ass band jane's is

Matz

#50 Post by Matz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:02 am

you mean Howard goes on and on, right? truth be told BCS is probably the only Jane's song he and Robin really knows