Underground video premieres Jan 25th on VEVO

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: Underground video premieres Jan 25th on VEVO

#101 Post by Hokahey » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:20 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Sure, you know what it was hoka, but only because you have an interest in that timeframe. For the rest of us, it was just another place with a stage.
Seriously? It's like some of you have never seen a music video before. Oh well. Hopefully they'll do a pop-up video version and everyone can understand what the intent was.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#102 Post by Hokahey » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:21 pm

You know, regardless, it's a cool looking video.

JOEinPHX

#103 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:28 pm

hokahey wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Sure, you know what it was hoka, but only because you have an interest in that timeframe. For the rest of us, it was just another place with a stage.
Seriously? It's like some of you have never seen a music video before. Oh well. Hopefully they'll do a pop-up video version and everyone can understand what the intent was.
That would be awesome!

i loved popup video.

Kajicat

#104 Post by Kajicat » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:08 pm

I wonder if people who didn't like the Underground video feel the same about this vid:

It was the first video I thought of when watching Underground.

kv

#105 Post by kv » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:26 pm

i like it way more because the song is way better

JOEinPHX

#106 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:35 pm

i like the pumpkins video way better.

The freaks were freakier, and the band played the part of insane people as well.

Plus the shots were more artistic. It wasn't just "here's billy rocking" it was "here's billy's eye and ear and that's all you get to see"

Hokahey
Site Admin

#107 Post by Hokahey » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:23 pm

Those two videos have absolutely nothing to do with one another. And Underground is far better.

guysmiley

#108 Post by guysmiley » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:36 pm

it's blocked in my country. Oh well, I'm sure its like most music videos.

Kajicat

#109 Post by Kajicat » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:54 pm

hokahey wrote:Those two videos have absolutely nothing to do with one another. And Underground is far better.
Yet somehow the Underground vid made me think of the Zero vid...

I think Underground is the better song (I love Zero too though), but Zero has the better video. God damn the Pumpkins had such great music vids.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#110 Post by Hokahey » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:03 pm

Kajicat wrote:
hokahey wrote:Those two videos have absolutely nothing to do with one another. And Underground is far better.

I think Underground is the better song (I love Zero too though), but Zero has the better video. God damn the Pumpkins had such great music vids.

I'm not saying you cant be reminded of it. Im just saying the only thing they have in common is that there are people in it, there's a band playing, and it's set in a previous time period.

I fucking hate the Zero video. That entire album was shit and so were it's videos. I'll take the Today video over any of the videos discussed in this thread.

creep
Site Admin

#111 Post by creep » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:27 pm

maybe you guys that are complaining wanting more stuff in the video besides the band playing will get that tomorrow. be careful what you ask for.
The "explicit" version of the "Underground" video will premiere on Playboy.com Friday. Explicit, you ask? "People get made love to and murdered in the backrooms while the band plays on

Hokahey
Site Admin

#112 Post by Hokahey » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:32 pm

creep wrote:maybe you guys that are complaining wanting more stuff in the video besides the band playing will get that tomorrow. be careful what you ask for.
The "explicit" version of the "Underground" video will premiere on Playboy.com Friday. Explicit, you ask? "People get made love to and murdered in the backrooms while the band plays on

I bet it will add more context to what's going on the video. Then again it could just gratuitous sex and violence. In any event, :thumb:

Deconstruction

#113 Post by Deconstruction » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:36 pm

hokahey wrote:
Kajicat wrote:

I'm not saying you cant be reminded of it. Im just saying the only thing they have in common is that there are people in it, there's a band playing, and it's set in a previous time period.

I fucking hate the Zero video. That entire album was shit and so were it's videos. I'll take the Today video over any of the videos discussed in this thread.
Mellon Collie was fucking brilliant, one of the most epic albums of the 90's. "Tonight, Tonight" is one of the greatest music videos ever made.

farrellgirl99

#114 Post by farrellgirl99 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:44 pm

I could never get into Smashing Pumpkins. I think it's cause Billy Corgan's voice annoys the fuck out of me.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#115 Post by Hokahey » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:46 pm

Deconstruction wrote:
hokahey wrote:
Kajicat wrote:

Mellon Collie was fucking brilliant, one of the most epic albums of the 90's. "Tonight, Tonight" is one of the greatest music videos ever made.
I know it's well liked, but I hated it.

How you can go from the epic, big fuzz, psychedlic awesomeness of this:

To the bald headed snore inducing bullshit of this:

And be down with it is beyond me.

I was so pissed when I bought Mellon Collie.

I skipped school. It was as exciting as a new Jane's record would have been to someone in 1992. A DOUBLE pumpkins album!!!!

And then Billy with silver pants on.

And this pretentious bullshit.

:balls: :balls: :balls: :balls: :balls: :balls:

Deconstruction

#116 Post by Deconstruction » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:51 pm

Tonight, Tonight is an anthem to me. Brilliant lyrics, beautiful song.

Believe, believe in me, believe
That life can change, that you're not stuck in vain
We're not the same, we're different tonight
Tonight, so bright
Tongiht
And you know you're never sure
But your sure you could be right
If you held yourself up to the light
And the embers never fade in your city by the lake
The place where you were born
In the resolute urgency of now
And if you believe there's not a chance tonight
Tonight, so bright
Tonight
We'll crucify the insincere tonight

Hokahey
Site Admin

#117 Post by Hokahey » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:01 pm

Deconstruction wrote:Tonight, Tonight is an anthem to me. Brilliant lyrics, beautiful song.

Tonight, so bright
Tongiht
Tonight, so bright
Tonight

I take no issue with these lyrics, even if they are a little on the sophomoric side. But hey, Billy's lyrics usually were. I take issue with the style of the band post Siamese Dream and them abandoning the sound that made them nip at the heels of Jane's as a band that produced epic flights of psychedelia. The Pumpkins went from an LSD band to cigarettes.

cabangbangq

#118 Post by cabangbangq » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:28 pm

hokahey wrote:
Deconstruction wrote:Tonight, Tonight is an anthem to me. Brilliant lyrics, beautiful song.

Tonight, so bright
Tongiht
Tonight, so bright
Tonight

I take no issue with these lyrics, even if they are a little on the sophomoric side. But hey, Billy's lyrics usually were. I take issue with the style of the band post Siamese Dream and them abandoning the sound that made them nip at the heels of Jane's as a band that produced epic flights of psychedelia. The Pumpkins went from an LSD band to cigarettes.
Mellon Collie still has many songs that have that same awesomeness of Siamese Dream...

Jellybelly
Here Is No Why
Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
Fuck You
Thru the Eyes of Ruby
Muzzle

all could have fit onto Siamese Dream

Jasper

#119 Post by Jasper » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:35 pm

The first Pumpkins album, while not necessarily a masterpiece, was the only one that ever interested me.

creep
Site Admin

#120 Post by creep » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:42 pm

after we discuss whether the smashing pumkins are good can we then debate the merits of (in order)

1-stp
2-rhcp

then we can conclude with pandemonium talking about van halen, u2 and killing joke.

Larry B.

#121 Post by Larry B. » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:08 pm

The best part of the video was the ass shot at the beginning of Dave's solo.

Perry looks like a pimp Crocodile Dundee trying to mimic Michael Jackson hat moves and hat shots.

A non-groundbreaking video for a non-groundbreaking song. Of a once groundbreaking band. It's ok.

blackula

#122 Post by blackula » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:11 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:I could never get into Smashing Pumpkins. I think it's cause Billy Corgan's voice annoys the fuck out of me.
Right On!
creep wrote:after we discuss whether the smashing pumkins are good can we then debate the merits of (in order)

1-stp
2-rhcp

then we can conclude with pandemonium talking about van halen, u2 and killing joke.
Pandamonium! Satellite Party w/Nuno or Van Halen w/Gary Cherone?

Kajicat

#123 Post by Kajicat » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:24 pm

hokahey wrote:I fucking hate the Zero video. That entire album was shit and so were it's videos. I'll take the Today video over any of the videos discussed in this thread.
Ouch! I think the exact opposite. Double albums are hard to do but I think they pulled it off...and the videos were all excellent, even during the 90's when the competition in music videos was high!
Deconstruction wrote:Mellon Collie was fucking brilliant, one of the most epic albums of the 90's. "Tonight, Tonight" is one of the greatest music videos ever made.
:rockon:
farrellgirl99 wrote:I could never get into Smashing Pumpkins. I think it's cause Billy Corgan's voice annoys the fuck out of me.
A lot of people say the same about Perry. For some reason I tend to love awful singing voices...then again Billy can sing beautifully when he sings soft.
hokahey wrote:How you can go from the epic, big fuzz, psychedlic awesomeness of this:

To the bald headed snore inducing bullshit of this:

I LOVE Gish and Siamese...probably more so than Mellon Collie...but I can't deny how excellent Mellon Collie is. And the videos were tops. When I think of the greatest music videos of all time, Tonight, Tonight immediately springs to mind. The song is incredibly well written too. :noclue:

pandarve666

#124 Post by pandarve666 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:46 pm

hokahey wrote:
pandarve666 wrote:
hokahey wrote:I guess I can see why people are calling it boring, but that's a video and song I'm proud to see the name Jane's Addiction attached to. I'm not sure how else to put it.
But why are you proud? They are just standing there playbacking a song, Perry has a silly hat and for some reason it reminds people of the old Perry? And then all those characters, I dunno, why are they even there in the first place? They have no meaning and sure as hell don't add anything.

But I don't want to sound like a real hater: I liked the ETTL video a lot more. That had a more artistic feeling to it and was fun to watch.
I think you're missing the point. The club seems to be representative of a 1920's speak easy which was the "underground" at the time. I personally love the era. I love the look of the band. You can could even really read in to the theme as having an underlying message that Jane's Addiction is timeless, has always been "underground" and always will be "underground".

And based on your critique, you must not like 99% of music videos. :lol:

I didn't know about the association with that particular era. It makes more sense to me now. I just thought that they meant that Jane's has always been an underground music band. Although I still don't like the video :banana:

And indeed, there are not much videos that I like. What I really do like: Head like a hole by NIN, Come to daddy by Aphex Twin and for Jane's ANR and Classic Girl.

trevor ayer

#125 Post by trevor ayer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:48 am

hokahey wrote:
Kajicat wrote:

more proof that hoka hey is a fucking moron