chaos

Jane's Addiction to play Summer Camp Music Festival

#1 Post by chaos » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:25 pm

http://www.pjstar.com/news/x1882850889/ ... ummer-Camp

By DANIELLE HATCH (dhatch@pjstar.com)
of the Journal Star
Posted Feb 09, 2012 @ 07:15 PM
Last update Feb 09, 2012 @ 07:24 PM

Perry Farrell, the artist who helped shape the modern-day music festival as we know it, will perform at Summer Camp Music Festival 2012.

Farrell will bring his band Jane’s Addiction to the annual event, set for May 25 to 27 at Three Sisters Park in Chillicothe. The lineup includes more than 100 bands on seven stages.

Farrell is known as one of the godfathers of alternative rock music and is the creator of the long-running music festival Lollapalooza, which first toured nationally and in recent years made its home in Chicago’s Grant Park.

Promoter Ian Goldberg of Jay Goldberg Events and Entertainment said bringing Jane’s Addiction to central Illinois is the fulfillment of a dream.

“I’ve got to admit, it wasn’t something that I even thought would be possible,” he said. “And one day I opened my inbox and there was an email from the William Morris Agency asking if I’d be interested in Jane’s Addiction playing Summer Camp. And I responded with an expletive-filled email saying how excited I’d be.”

William Morris represents other Summer Camp performers, so the agency was familiar with the festival, Goldberg said. The event fit conveniently into the band's spring tour schedule.

Goldberg, 40, said he discovered Jane’s Addiction during his senior year in high school and attended the Lollapalooza tour in its early days.

“They were a groundbreaking band, they had a sound that was so different from anything that anyone else was doing,” he said. “Remember, this was pre-Nirvana, pre-Pearl Jam, before the alternative movement of the 90s. They were making songs with riffing guitars and a singer that was out of this world. I had never heard anything like it.”

Summer Camp has hosted acts such as Willie Nelson, the Flaming Lips, Huey Lewis and George Clinton since it’s inception in 2001.

Goldberg said there are more announcements to come, including a nationally known hip-hop act, which he couldn’t name just yet, as he is waiting for final paperwork to go through.

Tickets for the three-day music festival are currently selling for $174. The lineup also includes moe., Umphrey’s McGee, Primus, Pretty Lights, Gov’t Mule, Gogol Bordello, G. Love and Special Sauce. To purchase tickets, visit Summercampfestival.com.

JOEinPHX

Re: Jane's Addiction to play Summer Camp Music Festival

#2 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:07 pm

this entire festival is a bunch of hippie jam bands

Plus Jane's Addiction.

does not compute.

Do they just sign up for big paychecks, or do they actually care where they play?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#3 Post by Hokahey » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:23 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:this entire festival is a bunch of hippie jam bands

Plus Jane's Addiction.

does not compute.

Do they just sign up for big paychecks, or do they actually care where they play?
Jane's has always been big with the hippies. Just like Primus and Flaming Lips. Every single hippie I've known has been in to or had a lot of respect for those three bands.

Jane's just played Gathering of the Vibes on an invite. Remember?

JOEinPHX

#4 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:30 pm

i remember. i just think it's strange since they don't jam anymore.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#5 Post by Hokahey » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:22 am

Six7Six7 wrote:i remember. i just think it's strange since they don't jam anymore.

It's not an obvious connection for sure, but going back to Deadicated they've been embraced by that culture. Sort of like if they played a punk festival. Seems odd now, but back in the day no one would have batted an eye. So when you have someone that remembers how they used to love Jane's they book them. Evidence that they haven't completely ruined their legacy I suppose.

bman

#6 Post by bman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:29 am

They jammed at Vibes. Mainly to fill a two hour set for the hippies. I have no idea why they cant play like that every night.

Xizen47

#7 Post by Xizen47 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:33 am

bman wrote:They jammed at Vibes. Mainly to fill a two hour set for the hippies. I have no idea why they cant play like that every night.
Easy

Why put 2 hours of work in when you could only work 1 hour and receive the same amount of $$$.

Matz

#8 Post by Matz » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:38 am

anyone know what they're paid nowadays for a show?