Jane's Addiction Greatest hits live compilation

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Mescal

Jane's Addiction Greatest hits live compilation

#1 Post by Mescal » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:13 am

Ok, here goes:

I've had this idea for a long time.

I want to make some sort of celebration to the band we all love, in spite of everything.

I think we can safely assume that JA, when they're on fire, they're one of the better live bands out there. Recordings of these JA shows are plenty about.

I'm also sure that all of you had a feeling of "oh my fucking god, this is so good" while listening to a certain live song on a certain boot.

Well, why don't we bundle our powers and make a compilation of what we, as JA fans, think are the best live performances of each particular song.

Adding, we could also make some sort of ideal setlist type thing, starting with what we think is the best opener, and obviously ending with what we think is the best closer.

I don't want to turn this into a discussion of what songs should be included in the setlist, so EVERY JA song can be on the setlist. If anyone has a good Just Because, or Underground or whatever, it can be included in the setlist. Obviously there is no time limitation. Also, Duff, Martyn, Flea, Chaney, ... can be in the band.

Let's also keep it listenable, and include only very good audience or sbd recordings.

I was also thinking, since there are some people here handy with mastering and all that, let's segue one song into another, with some applause or a perryism mixed inbetween, and the total mastered and levelled out, so the thing can be listened to as a whole.

So, come on guys, let's make a group effort out of this, we can discuss, but no bitching or arguing, just a celebration to one of the best live bands in the world.
Last edited by Mescal on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mescal

Re: Jane's Addiction Greatest hits live compilation

#2 Post by Mescal » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:20 am

To me, these versions should be included (in no particular order):

Classic Girl: 8/28/1991 King County Fairgrounds Enumclaw WA (

Stop: 03/29/1989 – Paramount Theater, Seattle, WA (Carnival of Souls boot)

Summertime Rolls: 10/31/1997 – Hammerstein Ballroom, New York, NY

Kettle Whistle: 01/31/1987 – King’s Hall, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA (Love Junkies boot)

Three Days: 08/16/1991 – Lake Fairfax Park, Reston, VA (Sex, Drugs, and rock n roll boot)

So there are my recommendations

Larry B.

#3 Post by Larry B. » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:53 am

I tried actually making this sort of thing on my own a couple of years ago, to also give something to the community... but failed miserably at attempting a good mix.

My favorite versions:

Trip Away - the one that's preceded by "you know what I did with those mushrooms?... I ATE'EM!!!!!!!!!!!"

Pig's In Zen - "the bouncer is a pig"

Summertime Rolls - Spain? Perry says "shoot me in the head! Ah! Numero uno! I'm afraid o'nobody"

Whores - "Romeo!"

Mescal

#4 Post by Mescal » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:07 am

Larry B. wrote:I tried actually making this sort of thing on my own a couple of years ago, to also give something to the community... but failed miserably at attempting a good mix.

My favorite versions:

Trip Away - the one that's preceded by "you know what I did with those mushrooms?... I ATE'EM!!!!!!!!!!!"

Summertime Rolls - Spain? Perry says "shoot me in the head! Ah! Numero uno! I'm afraid o'nobody"

Whores - "Romeo!"
Whores - Romeo - That would be the one from the Trip Away Boot - Live at the Metro Chicago

And sorry, to me, nothing beats the Summertime from Hammerstein :)

Also, Up the Beach should be the opener

Larry B.

#5 Post by Larry B. » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:33 am

Mescal wrote:
Larry B. wrote:I tried actually making this sort of thing on my own a couple of years ago, to also give something to the community... but failed miserably at attempting a good mix.

My favorite versions:

Whores - "Romeo!"
Whores - Romeo - That would be the one from the Trip Away Boot - Live at the Metro Chicago

And sorry, to me, nothing beats the Summertime from Hammerstein :)

Also, Up the Beach should be the opener
Yeah... now that I think about it, the Summertime Rolls I mentioned is actually terrible, aside from the fun fact that Perry seems to be fucking wasted. And the Hammerstein version gives me goosebumps.

San Francisco (as intro)
Up The Beach
Whores
Trip Away
Three Days
Mountain Song
1%
Suffer Some (does the demo counts as 'live'?)
Pig's in Zen
Obvious
Standing in the Shower
---------------------------
Summertime Rolls
Classic Girl
Then She Did...
----------------------------
Ain't No Right
Chip Away

What I consider to be the perfect setlist (JA 1.0 + Relapse)

Mescal

#6 Post by Mescal » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:55 am

Hmmm, not much interest apparently.

funny how people want to waste their time on silly remixes but not on something that might actually be cool.

Oh well, I tried.

For the record. Ocean Size should be included, and the set closer should be Ted, Just admit it. And for me, the Hammerstein one is the best. I love Flea, he plays it a bit slower and grooves the shit out of it.

I know they played of course a few times live, is there actually a decent recording of that?

creep
Site Admin

#7 Post by creep » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:00 am

Mescal wrote:Hmmm, not much interest apparently.

funny how people want to waste their time on silly remixes but not on something that might actually be cool.

Oh well, I tried.

For the record. Ocean Size should be included, and the set closer should be Ted, Just admit it. And for me, the Hammerstein one is the best. I love Flea, he plays it a bit slower and grooves the shit out of it.

I know they played of course a few times live, is there actually a decent recording of that?
i just have no memory of what i think is the best version of a particular song. as far as youtube clips i like the private parts mountain song the best.

Mescal

#8 Post by Mescal » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:22 am

creep wrote:

Oh well, I tried.

i just have no memory of what i think is the best version of a particular song. as far as youtube clips i like the private parts mountain song the best.
That's strange.

And you're the absolute Jane's boots collectioneur?

I thought you would know best

Hokahey
Site Admin

#9 Post by Hokahey » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:23 am

This might do better in the main Jane's forum. Want me to move it?

Mescal

#10 Post by Mescal » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:25 am

Sure :noclue:

creep
Site Admin

#11 Post by creep » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:43 am

Mescal wrote:
creep wrote:

Oh well, I tried.

That's strange.

And you're the absolute Jane's boots collectioneur?

I thought you would know best
but i'm old and have a bad memory. i haven't listened to the old bootlegs in years.

Larry B.

#12 Post by Larry B. » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:15 am

Oh well, I tried.
That's why I didn't bother too much to do it in the first place :pat:

Matz

#13 Post by Matz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:46 am

it's already out, it's called 'Hammerstein Ballroom 31/11-97'

Mescal

#14 Post by Mescal » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:25 am

Matz wrote:it's already out, it's called 'Hammerstein Ballroom 31/11-97'
Ah yes, that's the one where Eric Avery wears these funny trousers

Matz

#15 Post by Matz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:38 am

ah get over it, listen to what Dave's doing instead, he's never been more magical live

Mescal

#16 Post by Mescal » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:57 am

Matz wrote:ah get over it, listen to what Dave's doing instead, he's never been more magical live
I think you missed what I said before:

Matz

#17 Post by Matz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:02 pm

I did miss that, sorry. So I'm not the only one around here who thinks that particular show beats everything else, cool :cheers:

Larry B.

#18 Post by Larry B. » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:44 pm

That show could well be my all-time favorite too :noclue:

But there are a few shows that I could choose over that one every now and then, essentially because of the Perrysms. And JA 1.0's rawness.

henry

#19 Post by henry » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Mescal wrote:Well, why don't we bundle our powers and make a compilation of what we, as JA fans, think are the best live performances of each particular song.
This project is a great idea. I've seen similar things put together very well by the Underworld fan community [http://www.discogs.com/Underworld-Bootl ... se/2068464] and the members of the Cure Connections forum [http://www.cureconnections.com/] do lots of live anthologies, usually with various themes.

Leto

#20 Post by Leto » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:13 pm

Larry B. wrote:That show could well be my all-time favorite too :noclue:

But there are a few shows that I could choose over that one every now and then, essentially because of the Perrysms. And JA 1.0's rawness.
The idea of a fan made best of live comp sounds like a great idea. It would be a killer tribute and reminder to how great this band once was. I also think a companion album full of Perryisms would be amazing. Just Perry banter, one bit after the other. Sort of like the fan made compilation of Fugazi that made the rounds years ago. Where it's just Guy Picotto and Ian Mackay chastising members of the audience for fighting or dancing violently, over and over. Hilarious and highly entertaining, although I think a Perryisms album would have better replay value. :aoa:

Larry B.

#21 Post by Larry B. » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:33 pm

Leto wrote:

The idea of a fan made best of live comp sounds like a great idea. It would be a killer tribute and reminder to how great this band once was. I also think a companion album full of Perryisms would be amazing. Just Perry banter, one bit after the other.
Someone already did that... it's online somewhere, I have no idea how to look it up :sad:

creep
Site Admin

#22 Post by creep » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:37 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Leto wrote:

The idea of a fan made best of live comp sounds like a great idea. It would be a killer tribute and reminder to how great this band once was. I also think a companion album full of Perryisms would be amazing. Just Perry banter, one bit after the other.
Someone already did that... it's online somewhere, I have no idea how to look it up :sad:
yeah...it's pretty great

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=469&p=18590&hilit=henry#p18590

Leto

#23 Post by Leto » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:53 pm

creep wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
Leto wrote:

yeah...it's pretty great

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=469&p=18590&hilit=henry#p18590
Thanks. Really looking forward to checking this out tonight.
:aoa: err, really can't dance to Perry banter so I'll use the Bill Hicks smiley instead :cool:

ThenSheDid

#24 Post by ThenSheDid » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:06 pm

Mescal

#25 Post by Mescal » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:07 pm

San Francisco (as intro)
Up The Beach
Whores - Trip Away Boot - Live at the Metro Chicago
Trip Away - the one that's preceded by "you know what I did with those mushrooms?... I ATE'EM!!!!!!!!!!!" - Isn't that a Lolla gig in CA?
Three Days - 08/16/1991 – Lake Fairfax Park, Reston, VA (Sex, Drugs, and rock n roll boot)
Mountain Song
1%
Kettle Whistle - 01/31/1987 – King’s Hall, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA (Love Junkies boot)
Suffer Some - Roxy 86?
Pig's in Zen - "the bouncer is a pig"
Obvious
Standing in the Shower - one from the JAFT shows?
Ocean Size
---------------------------

Of Course - Live Paradiso - 3-17-1991
Summertime Rolls - 10/31/1997 – Hammerstein Ballroom, New York, NY
Classic Girl - 8/28/1991 King County Fairgrounds Enumclaw WA
Then She Did – Live Milan 10/11/90
----------------------------
Ain't No Right - The Birckenstock incident one?
Ted, Just Admit it - 10/31/1997 – Hammerstein Ballroom, New York, NY
Chip Away

Ok, so far this would be more or less the setlist. I'd put Three Days a little bit more towards the end, what do you guys think?

And Larry, a demo doesn't count as live.