Perry on "Classic Girl"

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Tyler Durden

Perry on "Classic Girl"

#1 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:10 pm

Perry Farrell wrote:I hadn't sung "Classic Girl" in years. I noticed Etty's reaction upon listening to me sing it. It was written before I met her. She loves me so, she broke down. She never asked me not to; I couldn't bear to see her brake apart. I explained that I write songs that others can keep in their hearts. It's all theirs- to sing; . She's ok now... it's drama

creep
Site Admin

Re: Perry on "Classic Girl"

#2 Post by creep » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:14 pm

yeah... it all came from a tweet jptm sent to etty.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=43&start=660

Tyler Durden

#3 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:29 pm

:tiphat:

sonny

#4 Post by sonny » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:39 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Perry Farrell wrote:I hadn't sung "Classic Girl" in years. I noticed Etty's reaction upon listening to me sing it. It was written before I met her. She loves me so, she broke down. She never asked me not to; I couldn't bear to see her brake apart. I explained that I write songs that others can keep in their hearts. It's all theirs- to sing; . She's ok now... it's drama
good explanation, i think. clearly 10 years in, she is more secure and can handle songs about casey being sung.

i think most had an issue, because it was dropped without explanation.

good on them both.

creep
Site Admin

#5 Post by creep » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:47 pm

well he isn't really being honest about who inspired the song:
Perry Farrell: I thank all the lovely woman I met in my life for inspiring that song. I meet such lovely woman- such classic girls that inspire me to song. My songs are about YOU.

sonny

#6 Post by sonny » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:49 pm

creep wrote:well he isn't really being honest about who inspired the song:
Perry Farrell: I thank all the lovely woman I met in my life for inspiring that song. I meet such lovely woman- such classic girls that inspire me to song. My songs are about YOU.
song is about casey, but i don't think it's a stretch to dedicate it to other women. who's face is on the cover of the single? exactly.

it bugs me perry can't say, yeah i loved casey niccoli once and she inspired me to write some great songs, many about her. how does this affect perry and etty's relationship? i don't get this level of insecurity. :noclue:

they are probably fighting about it right now. :eyes:

Romeo

#7 Post by Romeo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:09 am

Does he think we're all so burnt we don't remember the bands history??
What's next? The three days poem was really about his dog? :eyes:

What's the name for people who want to rewrite history??

JOEinPHX

#8 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:49 am

Romeo wrote:
Frauds.

Jasper

#9 Post by Jasper » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:10 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Romeo wrote:
Frauds.
It's actually revisionists, but having done plenty of your own revisionism, if you wanna stick with frauds, then OK. :noclue:

Romeo

#10 Post by Romeo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:35 am

Revisionist! That's it. :thumb:
How dumb does perry think we are?? That bubble that Eric talked about is alive & well and very full of hot air

JOEinPHX

#11 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:50 am

Jasper wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Romeo wrote:
Frauds.
It's actually revisionists, but having done plenty of your own revisionism,
Examples please.

Jasper

#12 Post by Jasper » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:26 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Romeo wrote:
Frauds.
Examples please.
Sorry, but :sonny:.

Either way, you must remember some of the things you've said, even contradicting Casey and Eric and such. I mean, c'mon. Hardly requires scrolling through the microfiche.

Tyler Durden

#13 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:48 am

Jasper wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Romeo wrote:
Frauds.
Examples please.

Either way, you must remember some of the things you've said, even contradicting Casey and Eric and such. I mean, c'mon. Hardly requires scrolling through the microfiche.
Has Sonny archived xiola.org on microfiche?! :yikes:

Jasper

#14 Post by Jasper » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:02 am

Tyler Durden wrote:Has Sonny archived xiola.org on microfiche?! :yikes:
Microfiche was better than the internet! :lol:

tcrock

#15 Post by tcrock » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:49 am

he's not being dishonest, he's just not being specific here.....only the overly obssesed haters here would take him to task for this comment (and I would imagine those that can't manage to maintain a relationship of thier own and therefore can't relate anyway)..wouldn't Casey fall into the "all the lovely women I met in my life" category.....He doesn't need to be living in the past like so many of his critics are. That quote to me is a pretty cool way of paying homage to Casey without hurting his wife's feelings too much...that Perry, such a bad guy. :lol:

JOEinPHX

#16 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:17 am

Jasper wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Romeo wrote:
Frauds.
Examples please.

Meh. :noclue:

Essence_Smith

#17 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:26 pm

tcrock wrote:he's not being dishonest, he's just not being specific here.....only the overly obssesed haters here would take him to task for this comment (and I would imagine those that can't manage to maintain a relationship of thier own and therefore can't relate anyway)..wouldn't Casey fall into the "all the lovely women I met in my life" category.....He doesn't need to be living in the past like so many of his critics are. That quote to me is a pretty cool way of paying homage to Casey without hurting his wife's feelings too much...that Perry, such a bad guy. :lol:
That shit was about Casey...you know the woman on TWO Jane's album covers...as well as the aforementioned CLASSIC GIRL SINGLE cover...ummmmm yeah, people do get on Perry and Co for some some dumb shit at times, but he barely needs anyone to make excuses for him...he's being vague to spare feelings and anyone with sense can "get" that...but that is not being completely honest...no one's "taking him to task" as much as pointing out the BS...and if I'M defending someone saying something "negative" on these boards...you know ya done messed up... :essence:

creep
Site Admin

#18 Post by creep » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:
tcrock wrote:he's not being dishonest, he's just not being specific here.....only the overly obssesed haters here would take him to task for this comment (and I would imagine those that can't manage to maintain a relationship of thier own and therefore can't relate anyway)..wouldn't Casey fall into the "all the lovely women I met in my life" category.....He doesn't need to be living in the past like so many of his critics are. That quote to me is a pretty cool way of paying homage to Casey without hurting his wife's feelings too much...that Perry, such a bad guy. :lol:
That shit was about Casey...you know the woman on TWO Jane's album covers...as well as the aforementioned CLASSIC GIRL SINGLE cover...ummmmm yeah, people do get on Perry and Co for some some dumb shit at times, but he barely needs anyone to make excuses for him...he's being vague to spare feelings and anyone with sense can "get" that...but that is not being completely honest...no one's "taking him to task" as much as pointing out the BS...and if I'M defending someone saying something "negative" on these boards...you know ya done messed up... :essence:
i think someone hacked in to the account of es. this can't be him.

Essence_Smith

#19 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:20 pm

:lol:

a headless shell

#20 Post by a headless shell » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:20 pm

tcrock wrote:

he's not being dishonest, he's just not being specific here.....only the overly obssesed haters here would take him to task for this comment (and I would imagine those that can't manage to maintain a relationship of thier own and therefore can't relate anyway)..wouldn't Casey fall into the "all the lovely women I met in my life" category.....He doesn't need to be living in the past like so many of his critics are. That quote to me is a pretty cool way of paying homage to Casey without hurting his wife's feelings too much...that Perry, such a bad guy. :lol:
Agreed. Plus, I remember hearing an old bootleg where he dedicated the song to all the "ladies who grow up to be mothers who grow up to be goddesses" or something... obviously it sounded better when Perry said it. Point being, the song is his homage to the Platonic ideal of the "Classic Girl" as much as it is to one specific lady.

LJF

#21 Post by LJF » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:22 pm

The song was written when Casey was his girl, it was clearly about her at the time. If he wants to start changing things he might as well change the title too and make it Classic Girls. If he is talking plural he should make the song grammatically correct. It was a long time ago, really Perry no need to try to cover it up. He is clearly influenced by the women in his life and it shows in his lyrics and artwork, so just own it and move on.

SR

#22 Post by SR » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:26 pm

Yes, it is PF equivocating....which is fine. What a perfect comparison too.....Plato and PF. :aoa:

Hype

#23 Post by Hype » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:26 pm

a headless shell wrote:Point being, the song is his homage to the Platonic ideal of the "Classic Girl" as much as it is to one specific lady.
I don't know if I'd go that far! :lol: Maybe the Aristotelian archetype... But what is the *Form* of a classic girl?! Perry's not a sage, he's a story-teller. The song does have some universalizability in it, but it's in the context of some very particular moments. The concepts are transferrable, though.

Why isn't it just straightforward that if it bugs Etty, it will bug Perry, as would be the case with anyone who cares about another person. The question of what that means for Perry and performing the song is up to Perry.

Hype

#24 Post by Hype » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:27 pm

SR wrote:Yes, it is PF equivocating....which is fine. What a perfect comparison too.....Plato and PF. :aoa:
PF's far closer to Nietzsche in his lyrics than he is to Plato. Just saying.

SR

#25 Post by SR » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:34 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
SR wrote:Yes, it is PF equivocating....which is fine. What a perfect comparison too.....Plato and PF. :aoa:
PF's far closer to Nietzsche in his lyrics than he is to Plato. Just saying.
In his rebirth as another man/artist, he deals in a world of ideals that eclipse any sense of reality here on earth. On Classic girl, I see Plato applied appropriately. I doubt PF would want to banish poets, but I doubt PF ever makes any conscious connection to any philosopher.