Re: Perry on "Classic Girl"

#26 Post by SR » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:35 pm

or any canonical author of import..... :nod:

Hype

#27 Post by Hype » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:38 pm

SR wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
SR wrote:Yes, it is PF equivocating....which is fine. What a perfect comparison too.....Plato and PF. :aoa:
PF's far closer to Nietzsche in his lyrics than he is to Plato. Just saying.
In his rebirth as another man/artist, he deals in a world of ideals that eclipse any sense of reality here on earth. On Classic girl, I see Plato applied appropriately. I doubt PF would want to banish poets, but I doubt PF ever makes any conscious connection to any philosopher.
I don't believe Plato wanted to banish poets either. (The issue with musicians/poets is about mistaking them for philosophers, and this is all a coarse-grained model for the soul anyway, as Socrates constantly reminds...)

I don't have such an "otherworldy" reading of Plato... and anyway Plato would object to your description of his view as "eclipsing any sense of reality...", since for him, the Forms *are* the only reality there is. So that's probably why we disagree here. One day we might talk about this or other deeper things over beers. :wink:

Actually, if you PM me your email, I have a paper I can send you that I wrote on that very issue in reading Plato that expresses my view more strongly than I do here...

SR

#28 Post by SR » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
SR wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
SR wrote:Yes, it is PF equivocating....which is fine. What a perfect comparison too.....Plato and PF. :aoa:
In his rebirth as another man/artist, he deals in a world of ideals that eclipse any sense of reality here on earth. On Classic girl, I see Plato applied appropriately. I doubt PF would want to banish poets, but I doubt PF ever makes any conscious connection to any philosopher.
I don't believe Plato wanted to banish poets either. (The issue with musicians/poets is about mistaking them for philosophers, and this is all a coarse-grained model for the soul anyway, as Socrates constantly reminds...)

I don't have such an "otherworldy" reading of Plato... and anyway Plato would object to your description of his view as "eclipsing any sense of reality...", since for him, the Forms *are* the only reality there is. So that's probably why we disagree here. One day we might talk about this or other deeper things over beers. :wink:
I was referring to what he perceives as our improper recollection of the world of forms through our (unreliable) senses. All that is prior to divine afflatus....but shit....I'll take the beers and an introduction....plus, well.....I'd rather like to listen a bit where philosophy is concerned with you. :lol: :cool:

Mescal

#29 Post by Mescal » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:44 pm

What a bunch of nerds you all are.

Hype

#30 Post by Hype » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:03 pm

Mescal wrote:What a bunch of nerds you all are.

a headless shell

#31 Post by a headless shell » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:40 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
"Ain't No Right" is absolutely Perry's homage to the übermensch.

Hype

#32 Post by Hype » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:18 am

a headless shell wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
"Ain't No Right" is absolutely Perry's homage to the übermensch.
I thought that was about John Stuart Mill! :lol:

SR

#33 Post by SR » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:14 am

Utilitarianism is a worthwhile institution of thought, if for nothing else than for a platform of thought in ethics. Plus, Peter Singer wrote one of my fave essays of all time. :agree: