youtube Vibes

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
bman

youtube Vibes

#1 Post by bman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:26 am

Matov

Re: youtube Vibes

#2 Post by Matov » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:38 am

:yikes: its amazing how much excitement adding a couple of bars to the end solo can bring. they look happy, all three of them. i'd be happy with more shows like this too

thoreau

#3 Post by thoreau » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:09 am

I really hope they start playing like this on the future tour dates.

I guess I can understand why they kept everything streamlined on the 3D show, being that it was contracted to be an hour-long recorded performance. Guess you can't stray too much in that setting.

However, I also know that they were contracted to play two hours at the Vibes show, so.........

I'll hope but not hold breath.

bman

#4 Post by bman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:16 am

They won't! The only reason they did that is because they were contracted for 2 hours as the headliner. So right from the start with Whores, they added little pieces. and that's why the show was fantastic. Sadly, two nights later they go back to the same note for note playing. They are fucking lazy. Period. I don't mind that 99% of the set is from songs written in the 80's! Just freshen them up a bit the way they did at Vibes. I know Perry has final say but come on Dave! Play like you did at Vibes. It had an 89/91 feel to it.

Tyler Durden

#5 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:18 am

That was a great performance. :rockon:

See...we give credit when they have earned it. :nod:

Pandemonium

#6 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:49 am

As good as that Vibes show appears to have been, it would have been even better if they had stuck with the printed setlist and also played Ripple, Then She Did and even burned out Chip Away. Still, throwing in 2002 tour instrumental cover staples of Pink Floyd's In The Flesh and The Who's Sparks plus Bobhaus makes for a pretty notable show even if they did it simply to stretch out the set to 2 hours.

nestos

#7 Post by nestos » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:53 am

best dave's performance for a while

guysmiley

#8 Post by guysmiley » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:02 am

that was really good.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#9 Post by Hokahey » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:36 am

I really think Perry makes or breaks these performances. If you had shown me that video ten years ago I'd think Jane's was going to be pretty damn great still. It's when he starts smiling and prancing like a ballerina during a song that people use to mosh to that everything gets out of whack. I miss crazy electro-puppet Perry.

Tyler Durden

#10 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:41 am

hokahey wrote:I really think Perry makes or breaks these performances. If you had shown me that video ten years ago I'd think Jane's was going to be pretty damn great still. It's when he starts smiling and prancing like a ballerina during a song that people use to mosh to that everything gets out of whack. I miss crazy electro-puppet Perry.
This.

JOEinPHX

#11 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:32 pm

hokahey wrote:I really think Perry makes or breaks these performances. If you had shown me that video ten years ago I'd think Jane's was going to be pretty damn great still. It's when he starts smiling and prancing like a ballerina during a song that people use to mosh to that everything gets out of whack. I miss crazy electro-puppet Perry.
i think that's been the common consensus for a long time now.

The people with the instruments have never lacked the ability to nail it. It's Perry's vocals, vocal delivery, and the way he dances that determines the show.

But i guess that is exactly how it should be. If he thinks he IS Jane's Addiction, and deserves the biggest payday, then maybe he needs to be the one facing all the pressure to step it up.

It's like futbol. If you have a guy you're paying 20 million a season, he damn well better get the ball in the net, and often.

Matz

#12 Post by Matz » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:55 am

nestos wrote:best dave's performance for a while
he always plays ocean size this way, i don't see why this version is particularly great on his part. Dave's live solos have become boring, just noodling really

JOEinPHX

#13 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:16 am

Matz wrote:
nestos wrote:best dave's performance for a while
he always plays ocean size this way, i don't see why this version is particularly great on his part. Dave's live solos have become boring, just noodling really
i think they meant in general. Dave was a ball of energy that show.