7.9-Magnitude Earthquake Strikes off the Coast of Chile

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
cricket_bows

7.9-Magnitude Earthquake Strikes off the Coast of Chile

#1 Post by cricket_bows » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:19 pm

How we doing, Larry? Goes without saying we're all thinking of you and hoping you're safe.

Drop a line and give an update if possible.

creep
Site Admin

Re: 7.9-Magnitude Earthquake Strikes off the Coast of Chile

#2 Post by creep » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:22 pm

larry moved to scotland i think. :noclue:

chile is probably the most prepared country in dealing with earthquakes since they have so many big ones.

cricket_bows

#3 Post by cricket_bows » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:25 pm

I'm a putz. Thanks for the update, Creep (and about Chile's earthquake preparedness- TIL).

STAY OUT OF THE HIGHLANDS, LARRY.

Pandemonium

#4 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:39 am

It was actually a much larger 8.3 quake and I understand it generated a 16 ft wave inundating the coast of Coquimbo. Tsunami waves (more like ripples) have actually made it all the way up the coast to here in Southern CA pre-dawn this morning where I heard it measured almost a foot (whoa!, lol!) in Newport Beach.

Artemis

#5 Post by Artemis » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:36 am

McLarry, I hope your family and friends back home are okay. :wave:

Larry B.

#6 Post by Larry B. » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:39 am

Hey! Yeah, I'm in Scotland... so the worst thing in my life right now is just how expensive fruits are.

Yesterday's earthquake was only slightly weaker than the one in 2011, which was 8.7 if I remember correctly. This one was in the north of Chile, near the very small (and poor) town of Canela. In Santiago it felt around 7 in the Richter scale, whilst the one in 2011 felt as an 8. All my family and friends are alright, we really are used to this type of thing. Also, after about 8 minutes there was another big hit, around 7.5. 10 minutes later, another hit around 6.8. 10 minutes later, another hit around 6.2, and so on.

During these last 2 years, Chile has been hit with all sorts of shit. Devastating rain, devastating fires, volcanoes, earthquakes... I really feel bad for our president. She's had possibly the toughest job ever faced by any Chilean president, after the special case of Allende.

I think "only" 10 people died due to this earthquake. It never ceases to amaze me how well prepared Chile is for these things. In almost any other place, an earthquake this big would case upwards of 1,000 deaths.

cricket_bows

#7 Post by cricket_bows » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:33 am

Chile's finest:

Thanks for checking in- good to hear all your peeps are safe and sound. I have to crack up at how almost blasé events like this are there; if it was Colorado, along with mass casualties, everyone would be shitting their pants. But they'd also be baked out of their collective minds, so maybe no one would notice.

I'm loading up on açaí, papaya, goiaba, cupuaçu and kumquats now, on the chance I get you as my Secret Santa. No promises about freshness.

Larry B.

#8 Post by Larry B. » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:38 am

cricket_bows wrote:Chile's finest:

Thanks for checking in- good to hear all your peeps are safe and sound. I have to crack up at how almost blasé events like this are there; if it was Colorado, along with mass casualties, everyone would be shitting their pants. But they'd also be baked out of their collective minds, so maybe no one would notice.

I'm loading up on açaí, papaya, goiaba, cupuaçu and kumquats now, on the chance I get you as my Secret Santa. No promises about freshness.
:3some:

blackcoffee

#9 Post by blackcoffee » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:52 pm

Funny. We've never met, Larry, but I thought about you today when I heard the news. I also thought, "I think he's in the UK with his new wife..." Glad you're safe.

I was also really impressed with how well Chile responded. I think we'll get up further up the coast i.e. pacific northwest very soon.

wally

#10 Post by wally » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:21 am

Glad to hear you're alright Larry, (and your friends and family)! I guess I haven't been keeping up here lately, i didn't realize you'd moved already. :wave:

Larry B.

#11 Post by Larry B. » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:59 am

Thank you, BC and Wally :wave:
blackcoffee wrote:Funny. We've never met, Larry, but I thought about you today when I heard the news. I also thought, "I think he's in the UK with his new wife..." Glad you're safe.
It goes to show how significant this little community is. I do the same when I hear something about specific states or a few selected countries that are represented by members here. Whatever phenomenon it is, it is definitely something very genuine and special.