BBQ / Smoking

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Romeo

Re: BBQ / Smoking

#26 Post by Romeo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:54 am

Saturday I went to a pig roast. They roasted "wilber" in a Cuban box. He was juicy and delish! :rockon:

Hype

#27 Post by Hype » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:27 pm

Here is a photo of the ribs I smoked, just over halfway through, a while back.

The next time, I'll only have coals on one side. I was just concerned about keeping the temperature hot enough (lowering it is easier).

Artemis

#28 Post by Artemis » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:54 pm

Nice rack! :hehe:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Hype

#29 Post by Hype » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:35 pm

:lol: Oh yeah, the next thing I'm doing is something like this: http://www.smoking-meat.com/october-24- ... on-a-stick

I might do lamb and/or pork.

Hype

#30 Post by Hype » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:13 pm

Figured this could use an update: I did a picnic roast (pork shoulder) a few weeks ago that turned out pretty well, so now I'm getting a little more confident. Purchased a 3.5 kg (8lb) Boston Butt that was freshly cut, so I'm prepping it tonight (trimming, putting on a rub -- same homemade rub I used for the ribs), and starting it real early tomorrow so hopefully it'll be ready around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Pretty excited. :rockon:

This is what the previous, much smaller, pork shoulder looked like before pulling:

I'm pretty sure Boston Butt (bone-in) is supposed to taste much better though, so we'll see.

sinep

#31 Post by sinep » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:10 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Here is a photo of the ribs I smoked, just over halfway through, a while back.

The next time, I'll only have coals on one side. I was just concerned about keeping the temperature hot enough (lowering it is easier).
those look good. How were they?

sinep

#32 Post by sinep » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:12 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Figured this could use an update: I did a picnic roast (pork shoulder) a few weeks ago that turned out pretty well, so now I'm getting a little more confident. Purchased a 3.5 kg (8lb) Boston Butt that was freshly cut, so I'm prepping it tonight (trimming, putting on a rub -- same homemade rub I used for the ribs), and starting it real early tomorrow so hopefully it'll be ready around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Pretty excited. :rockon:

This is what the previous, much smaller, pork shoulder looked like before pulling:

I'm pretty sure Boston Butt (bone-in) is supposed to taste much better though, so we'll see.
Picture didn't show up for me. What sort of sauce do you use for the pork butt?

Hype

#33 Post by Hype » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:44 am

I've tried both Texas and South Carolina style sauces and rubs... I think I prefer a more sweet and spicy style (Memphis / Texas, I think) but I like the South Carolina style sauce because the vinegar cuts through the sweetness really well (also amplifies the heat).

Artemis

#34 Post by Artemis » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:13 pm

Hype

#35 Post by Hype » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:43 am

Doing a texas-style brisket today. Just a small one -- 5lbs. Dry-brined over night and put it on at quarter to six this morning, and hoping it'll be ready by 5-7 this evening (after resting). Using hickory and cherry wood for smoke. Probably my last smoke of the summer. Pretty excited to see if I managed to pull it off... I've heard brisket can be tricky to make tender, much more finicky than pork shoulder.

Juana

#36 Post by Juana » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:58 pm

I'm firing up the ole grill this evening and hopefully the Dodgers will pull out a W as well. Got some great deals on some grass fed angus from my buddy who just slaughtered a couple of his cows.

Hype

#37 Post by Hype » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:57 am

Juana wrote:Image

I'm firing up the ole grill this evening and hopefully the Dodgers will pull out a W as well. Got some great deals on some grass fed angus from my buddy who just slaughtered a couple of his cows.
Nice. We're celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend, but I think I'm done with smoking for the season, so we're going to do pretty much what you're doing. I want to see if the butcher'll cut me a 2-2.5 inch thick porterhouse. Haven't decided on a side yet.

Smokestack

#38 Post by Smokestack » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:34 am

brisket15.jpg
brisket15.jpg (129.69 KiB) Viewed 6567 times
This is a pic of the brisket and burnt ends that I cooked for a competition a few weeks ago. We were able to get our hands on some A9 grade gold Kobe (Wagyu) brisket. It might be the best thing I've ever eaten.

Hype

#39 Post by Hype » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:47 pm

Smokestack wrote:
brisket15.jpg
This is a pic of the brisket and burnt ends that I cooked for a competition a few weeks ago. We were able to get our hands on some A9 grade gold Kobe (Wagyu) brisket. It might be the best thing I've ever eaten.
That plating looks incredible. The colour looks funny (at least compared to the greyish/pink of my brisket(s)), but that could be the photo or the fact that I'm not familiar with Kobe or the different competition methods. I think next year I'll try to do a plating/competition style like that of a brisket, just to see if I can even do it. I'm not interested in actual competition grilling, but I like trying to learn to grill the best ways I can.

Did a 2" t-bone tonight. Decided not to try the reverse sear method (cook at 375 in the oven for 45 mins to an hour and then sear off to get perfect mid-rare). Just did 4 mins a side with cross-hatch searing (2 mins turn, 2 mins; flip, repeat). Then switched to indirect heat until 120-130 internal read. Now resting for 15 mins. Used hickory wood chunk to get more direct heat closer to the surface of the meat. Should be good.