What's annoying you today?

off-topic conversation unrelated to Jane's Addiction
Pandemonium

Re: What's annoying you today?

#251 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:49 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
kv wrote:jury duty in 8 hours...in compton...lame week of lameness inc...sigh
Ugh. I just got a notice in the mail that i have to fill out a questionaire so they can consider me for jury duty.

How can they force me to do that? Fucking bullshit.
They can't. You can pretty much bullshit your way out of it on the mail-in form if you really want out. I'm sure if you say "Hendrix sucked and I like TGEA," they'll excuse you.

I had a Jury Duty request last month. Got out of it because I did it less than a year ago.

kv

#252 Post by kv » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:15 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Ugh. I just got a notice in the mail that i have to fill out a questionaire so they can consider me for jury duty.

some guy today tried to get out of it saying he didn't speak english well enough for it...and the instructor was all "are you a naturalized citizen?" guy is all si..."well then you checked a box saying you could read, speak and understand english well enough for that...enjoy your time here today"

owned

Pandemonium

#253 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:59 pm

kv wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

some guy today tried to get out of it saying he didn't speak english well enough for it...and the instructor was all "are you a naturalized citizen?" guy is all si..."well then you checked a box saying you could read, speak and understand english well enough for that...enjoy your time here today"

owned
The flip side is you have bozos like that ruling on trials. Imagine if you're some innocent defendant in some technically challenging case and you look at the jury of your "peers" and it's clear most of then can't add up the fingers on one hand.

kv

#254 Post by kv » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:10 pm

there were some hella stupid people there that couldn't follow the easiest of info being given to them

Lokus

#255 Post by Lokus » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:23 pm

Best way to get out of jury duty, say things like:

- "If the cops arrest someone, they must be guilty. What's the point of a trial? Due-process-schmossness".

- "Lawyers, judges, cops...they're all crooked. You can't get a fair trial in this city".

Larry B.

#256 Post by Larry B. » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:26 pm

Pandemonium wrote: The flip side is you have bozos like that ruling on trials.
kv wrote:there were some hella stupid people there
Lokus wrote: Due-process-schmossness.
Bozo, hella and schm-, in three consecutive posts.

I love this place.

MYXYLPLYX

#257 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:13 pm

Am I the only one that seems to be getting more and more sensitive to motion as I get older? :hs: :sad:

If I'm not driving a vehicle (which is rarely the case) I have to be on guard against motion sickness, forget the backseat even.

Today was the last straw - I was on the swing with my son trying to show him how to pump his legs to propel himself and I was really feeling motion sickness. It's still lingering nearly an hour later... :balls:

Pandemonium

#258 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:20 pm

MYXYLPLYX wrote:Am I the only one that seems to be getting more and more sensitive to motion as I get older? :hs: :sad:

If I'm not driving a vehicle (which is rarely the case) I have to be on guard against motion sickness, forget the backseat even.

Today was the last straw - I was on the swing with my son trying to show him how to pump his legs to propel himself and I was really feeling motion sickness. It's still lingering nearly an hour later... :balls:
I'd see a doctor. Traditional motion sickness doesn't normally linger for such a long time like that.

Artemis

#259 Post by Artemis » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:24 pm

MYXYLPLYX wrote:Am I the only one that seems to be getting more and more sensitive to motion as I get older? :hs: :sad:

I am older than you and do not suffer from motion sickness at all. In fact, motion relaxes me and I get sleepy.

Do you feel dizzy too? It could be something related to the inner ear.

crater

#260 Post by crater » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:32 pm

Artemis wrote:
MYXYLPLYX wrote:Am I the only one that seems to be getting more and more sensitive to motion as I get older?
Which is exactly what I was going to say.

I suffer from severe tinnitus (24-7 / 365 of non-stop ringing ears) and because of that, I also deal with migraines, dizzy spells, nausea, motion sickness etc. etc. I've had the local doctor here say that it might be Meniere's Disease, but unless I have more tests done, I won't know for sure.

Artemis

#261 Post by Artemis » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:44 pm

crater wrote:
Artemis wrote:
MYXYLPLYX wrote:Am I the only one that seems to be getting more and more sensitive to motion as I get older?
Which is exactly what I was going to say.

I suffer from severe tinnitus (24-7 / 365 of non-stop ringing ears) and because of that, I also deal with migraines, dizzy spells, nausea, motion sickness etc. etc. I've had the local doctor here say that it might be Meniere's Disease, but unless I have more tests done, I won't know for sure.
Meniere's is difficult to diagnose because periods between episodes could be several years. I have positional vertigo which can make me feel nauseous. Sometimes during a spell when I'm lying in bed and turn my head a certain way, I'll get severe bed spins. To the point of feeling sick...it's horrible. Thankfully though, the past year has been pretty good, just a few minor episodes.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/benign_p ... htm#Benign Positional Vertigo Overview

MYXYLPLYX

#262 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:29 pm

I have experienced some tinnitus (big surprise there :eyes: ) but nothing to the extent that crater describes... :noclue:

Thanks all for the responses, I'm going to e-mail my doctor and pursue this further. It's really not okay that I can't ride a swing with my kid. :no:

perkana

#263 Post by perkana » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:05 pm

why do assholes think they can treat you like crap and after 2 weeks want things to get back to normal? I know because they're assholes, I'm just tired of this shit.
Btw, I'm getting ready to see my uncle this weekend, looks like he's doing really bad :sad: Cancer has spread now to his liver and kidneys and my parents say that he's hurting all the time

crater

#264 Post by crater » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:48 am

perkana wrote: Btw, I'm getting ready to see my uncle this weekend, looks like he's doing really bad :sad: Cancer has spread now to his liver and kidneys and my parents say that he's hurting all the time
I'm right there with you on this one, only it's my aunt and she is dealing with lung and bladder cancer. It's been a roller coaster the past few months, but yesterday my aunt said that she is just hoping to make it long enough to see her granddaughter visit on the 7th of next month.

Cancer sucks

Artemis

#265 Post by Artemis » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:27 am

My eyelashes are touching the lenses of my glasses.

I put too much mascara on this morning.

Jasper

#266 Post by Jasper » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:37 am

Artemis wrote:My eyelashes are touching the lenses of my glasses.

Aaaah, back to run-of-the-mill First World problems. :lol:

Turncoat

#267 Post by Turncoat » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:47 am

an incomplete thought...

The idea of leaving all of your worldly possessions, with the possibility of seeing them again vs. losing everything permanently...
or...
The fear of probable misfortune, despite fine physical health vs. a physical setback with no psychological damage.

...there's an idea in there... a way to use one to explain or argue the other... but I'm not quite there yet...

Physical + psychological = sympathetic / Physical wo/ psychological = unsympathetic
Psychological wo/ physical = unsympathetic / Physical wo/ psychological = sympathetic

...a sliding sympathy-scale? Double-standard? Circular logic? I don't know... I'm not working at 100%... :hs:

Larry B.

#268 Post by Larry B. » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:44 am

Not wanting to get out of bed, but at the same time wanting to go buy groceries.

Oh, and Amazon. After spending an hour and a half picking Christmas presents, the only shipping option I get is ultra-fast, which doubles the price of the items I selected. So I either shop locally, or all my acquaintances will be receiving books with free shipping from bookdepository.co.uk.

Artemis

#269 Post by Artemis » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:20 am

Jasper wrote:
Artemis wrote:My eyelashes are touching the lenses of my glasses.

Aaaah, back to run-of-the-mill First World problems. :lol:
:lol: yeah well, for anyone who knows what i'm talking about, it really is annoying.

Curse you Maybelline 10X thicker lashes!!

Larry B.

#270 Post by Larry B. » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:45 am

I don't know if it's a common issue or not (probably more in the case of women), but a couple of eyelashes sometimes pinch my eyeballs. It's like if one or two per eye grow towards the actual eyeball. When it happens (probably once a week), I just try to sweep the fucking eyelash with my finger, but it burns for a few minutes.

Other than that, I like my eyelashes. I think that's the key point why I'm equally attractive for straight women and gay men, and the main reason why I always wear shades when I'm outside. Well, actually, the main reason is that I don't like random people making eye contact with me, except when I'm talking with him/her. But yeah, the eyelash thing too.

perkana

#271 Post by perkana » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:39 pm

huh?

blackcoffee

#272 Post by blackcoffee » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:09 pm

It's Friday night and I'm on a Delta flight from Minneapolis/St Paul to home in the pacific northwest. I've got a headache and can't enjoy the wine I just bought. Also, I hate Delta. They never release their seats and I end up not being able to get an aisle seat. File this under first world problems.

creep
Site Admin

#273 Post by creep » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:50 pm

blackcoffee wrote:It's Friday night and I'm on a Delta flight from Minneapolis/St Paul to home in the pacific northwest. I've got a headache and can't enjoy the wine I just bought. Also, I hate Delta. They never release their seats and I end up not being able to get an aisle seat. File this under first world problems.
delta usually releases their "premium" seats two hours before the flight. the last time i flew them i had good luck getting an aisle seat right at the two hour mark. fuck middle seats....and window seats.

united is usually the fairest on giving you the choice plus for usually under $50 you can go econ plus if you want.

Pandemonium

#274 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:31 pm

OK, I really don't like whining about personal problems but the last month has been a piece of work.

Almost a month ago, my father-in-law who lives in Tucson, Arizona discovered he needed heart valve replacement surgery. Even though he's 84, he's in remarkably good health otherwise and sharp as a tack so he was a good candidate for "robotic" non-evasive valve replacement. Unfortunately, when they started the surgery, they discovered his valve was in worse shape than they thought and wound up doing the full Monty - cracking his chest and doing it the old fashioned way. He has three kids - my wife, another daughter and a son all spread across the country. So they and myself were taking 4 - 7 days apiece to fly to Tucson and supervise his recovery and keep him company and take care of his wife who's also in her mid- 80s. About 7 days in, while the other daughter and later my wife were in town with him, he developed pneumonia while in ICU and had a couple nights that he nearly cashed his chips in.

So my turn to go there was the last 8 days. Probably unsurprisingly, his wife took more of my time and had some very serious issues that needed addressing. She's fried from the experience of being there for her ailing husband and seeing him laid out unable to speak (he has a trach valve now), very frail and imo, was over-medicating herself either on purpose or accidently. She needed full time care and was very vulnerable. I had to take away the car keys, help set up a full time in-home care service and set up the "Guardian Alarm" system (the clichéd "help, I can't get up" panic button she wears that calls 911 for her).

Now if that wasn't enough, she's a very crafty woman and has some fairly negative faults. A fer instance - this one guy working in ICU that was her husband's day shift nurse was originally from Mexico, had a bit of an accent. Dude worked his ass off to take care of her husband through the worst of it, nice guy. She's hard of hearing and kept saying "I can't understand you with that accent... do you get paid in dollars or pesos... if it's dollars, why don't you speak English?" Another rehab nurse who was Pakistani - "my husband works with your people all the time, most of you are fine people." Holy fuckin' shit. As soon as I left last night, this morning I'm getting calls from the agency that she refused to let her caregiver in the house and wanted to cancel the service because she wanted her independence and my wife and I had to talk her into letting the woman in to be there for her.

It's like I'm sort of the outsider being the in-law in all this and I had a conference call before I left with the brother and sister and my wife and basically said "you guys need to come up with a long term plan that may include someone moving there, moving them locally to one of the three of us or even getting power of attorney and putting them in a home." To compound shit, there's some serious dysfunction going on with the brother who also happens to control much of the parent's savings which is quite substantial.

I was supposed to come back home on Wednesday but the woman was so out of it - I mean Michael Jackson loopy, I wound up canceling the cab already on its way to pick me up, changing my flight to last night and taking her to her doctor, getting her evaluated, finding out what meds she's supposed to be on and rounding up over 30 bottles of extra prescriptions laying around her room some dating back to 2009, many of which were drugs like Hydrocodon, Morphine, Diazapam, etc from several different doctors and destroying them.

Thankfully, the husband has turned a corner and is starting to slowly recover but it's going to be a long 2 - 3 months before he's ready to go home......

chaos

#275 Post by chaos » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:46 am

You must be pretty stressed out Pandemonium. I hope that you are taking time to think about your own health. I recall a few months ago that you were experiencing what seemed like heart related issues. I know it's especially hard in an in-law situation to watch as the people around you self-destruct. Just remember you can't take it all on and be the hero. You are right to get everyone thinking about a long-term plan. I hope they can see that it needs to be done before any additional crisis occurs. Fortunately things are starting to settle down a little. It sounds you were able to get a lot accomplished with regard to your mother-in-law's well being. She will get used to the nurse and will probably like having the company. Take care.